[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, I've come for some stew advice, it's a cold comfy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: stew.jpg (175KB, 1600x931px) Image search: [Google]
stew.jpg
175KB, 1600x931px
Ok, I've come for some stew advice, it's a cold comfy time calling for hot comfy food.

Never made stews before. It seems pretty common to add flour to the stew. I could do that, but I plan on adding pig feet so would that add the necessary thickness instead of having to use flour? And I've always had trouble with potatoes. When I've eaten good stews at a pub or restaurant, the potatoes come out chewy in a good way, rather than mushy that mine to come out when I try to cook them in water. Is there a trick to it? Is it purely down to using waxy potatoes? I have russets. (also to peel or not to peel?).

Since I'm poorfag, I don't have much in the way of protein, I'm thinking of adding chicken, but as I said before I'm also planning to use pig feet for the stock. Won't be too funky to make a chicken/pork stock right?

And finally my biggest trouble with soups/stocks is getting the water ratio right, I usually end up putting too much water in the stock.
>>
What's with all the stew threads recently?

Stew is mostly something you throw together with whatever ingredients you have leftover.

I can't say anything about making stock from pig's feet, but I don't see why it would be a problem. There's going to be more connective tissue, so it would most likely be a little thicker, but it's also common to brown whatever meat you're using in the pot first, and sprinkle enough flour on to soak up whatever fat was rendered.

If you add too much water, just reduce it.

If your potatoes are always overcooked, add them later.
>>
>>7300961
>adding pig feet
Try it and see

>Is it purely down to using waxy potatoes? I have russets.
I think this is key, russets will just turn to mush. You also want to cut them 'thick-thin' ie sorta trapezoidal.
>>
>>7300982
>Stew is mostly something you throw together with whatever ingredients you have leftover.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do, (I just need to buy some aromatics)
>>
>>7300982
>What's with all the stew threads recently?

Don't know about where you are, but around here it's cold as balls.
>>
>>7300961
Seriouseats is currently in stew mode. I'd check them out since they're probably going to come up with a few more recipes than the ones recently posted in the coming week.
>>
>>7300961
op try tomato paste and brown sugar
>>
>>7300961
Also try large pork or beef bone with marrow to cook into the stew, very good flavor
>>
Don't add the vegetables at the same time as the meat. It's easier but it means overcooked veg.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.