[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it ok to order delivery in a snowstorm /ck/? http://ade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

File: delivery man.jpg (149KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
delivery man.jpg
149KB, 600x400px
Is it ok to order delivery in a snowstorm /ck/?

http://adequateman.deadspin.com/is-it-ok-to-order-delivery-during-a-snowstorm-1754483886
>>
bad weather is literally why delivery is supposed to exist
>>
>>7300540
If they're offering it, why not?
>>
Of course it is. Bad weather is half the point of delivery. Throw in a little extra on the tip, since some poor bastard is dealing with the shit so you don't have to.
>>
>>7300561
Bad weather is one thing, dangerous weather is an entirely different story.
>>
>>7300540
Sure, I do it all the time. I tip well when the weather is shit too.
>>
one wrong and one right, consider it a wash
>>
>>7300553
It's not fair to the delivery people though.

Anyone who orders take out when it's snowing or raining should tip the delivery man triple the normal amount.
>>
If they're open, absolutely. If they tell you there's a fee because of the weather hang up on them. If there's no additional charge give the poor fucker who had to deliver it a fat ass tip.
>>
Not tonight in NYC - DiBlasio told restaurants to shut down.
>>
I used to work as a deliver guy and I delivered everything perfect even when we had 1.5 meters of snow here. I just loved my duties.
>>
Do you guys think food delivery drivers get hazard pay in situations like this?
>>
>ordering during a blizzard
Why?
So you have to wait for dinner for 1-2hours because of the travel conditions and other backed up orders from faggots who don't know how to make their own dinners during weather either?

>>7300584
>hazard pay
LOL.
>>
>>7300565
>dangerous weather is an entirely different story.

Close the fucking restaurant then. If the cheap-ass owner won't do that, then get another delivery gig. You can be working the same day if you can write your name and phone number on an application. If you don't like being in the shit, find another industry.
>>
>>7300540
>Is it ok to order delivery in a snowstorm
of course it fucking is, thats the very situation delivery is ideal for
>>
>>7300540
it's ok to order but it would *not* be ok to sue them if they dont deliver
>>
>>7300581
>Not tonight in NYC - DiBlasio told restaurants to shut down.
Is he like a dictator or something? He can just tell businesses to close?
>>
>>7300584
>Do you guys think food delivery drivers get hazard pay
Unless you are delivering from something far enough away that they would need to get on an interstate, or you are in the south where people don't know what the fuck to do when it snows, there is no real hazard involved
>>
Why are people saying delivery is ideal during a snowstorm? It fucking isn't.

Food deliveries can take up to three or four hours. Your food is lukecold by the time it gets to you. And on top of that you could be putting someone's life in danger over fucking pizza just so they can collect their 8.25 an hour. I doubt they get tipped well on top of that because their clientele are often too stupid to suss why their pizzas aren't getting delivered in under 40 minutes, so they get all pissed off.
>>
Yep, but you should increase their tip to 15% from the normal 10%
>>
lolling hard at those comments.
>>
>>7300622
>Food deliveries can take up to three or four hours. Your food is lukecold by the time it gets to you
Where do you live? Is it some sort of food desert where there are very few places nearby? Or is it like Texas where people just are not used to snow
>>
>>7300622
They surely get massive tips during snowstorms. People are fucking suckers when it comes to tips in mildly inclement weather
>>
>>7300631
They do well. I've had that job in pizza and Chinese. Harsh weather through the week is like getting a whole extra Friday or Saturday primetime shift.
>>
>>7300571
Then don't work a fucking delivery job.

I tip for how you act at the door.
>>
>>7300540
Restaurants that offer delivery should include it in the charge and increase it on occasions like this so the person delivering the food is properly reimbursed.
>>
There's literally no way any car could make it's way into my neighborhood right now. 20 inches of snow on the ground. Less than 10 I wouldn't feel guilty.
>>
>>7300614
It's called a state of emergency retard. They can tell people to close and tell people to stay off the streets because making people drive around in a blizzard is extremely dangerous.
>>
OMG two feet of snow. Half of USA goes into their bomb shelters.

I've been through 4 feet of snow, -50 C and we still had to go to work/school with no plows for three days
Get some balls, you fucking pussies.
>>
>>7300630
It takes a lot longer to move around in snow storms, not to mention all the additional orders being placed.
>>
>>7300698
Isn't New York supposed to have mostly walkable neighborhoods?

I thought most people there can't even afford cars. Who cares if the road conditions are bad when you can walk to a restaurant a couple blocks away? But now power hungry politician guy says I can't do that?
>>
>>7300700
no one cares about people who live in flyover country
>>
>>7300709
Its pretty funny how the national media treats New York and DC weather as though it is national news. The weather alarmism has gotten really bad in most local media in the last 10 years, now the national media is full board on the hype machine
>>
>>7300706
Walking can still be dangerous. Tons of people take taxis and ubers. Not to mention the fact that most people who work at restaurants can't nearly afford to live near the places they work.
>>
>>7300719
>Walking can still be dangerous.
stop it dude. You really think its appropriate for some politician to say people must avoid walking in snow because they might slip and hurt themselves? I know NYC takes the nanny state stuff really seriously, but thats a little ridiculous
>>
>>7300706
It's impractical to own a car in NYC because of the traffic and price of parking.
>>
>>7300734
>You really think its appropriate for some politician to say people must avoid walking in snow because they might slip and hurt themselves?

Considering the overall lack of infrastructure re: snow and ice, yes that's appropriate and reasonable. If they cant get the streets plowed and the sidewalks clear and/or salted, they don't want people getting hurt. They cover themselves by saying "Stay inside." If someone chooses not to listen, it's on them.
>>
>>7300614
It's a plea. They don't have to do what he says.
>>
>>7300700
Are you from russia?
>>
>>7300700
But the power goes out, and the streets are often dangerous, and you get locked inside with cabin fever.
>>
>>7300700
Alberta

Get some balls, you useless tits. I've never seen a "snow day" in my long ass life. What you pussies are getting right now is nothing.
>>
>>7300734
I know you might not be able to understand because the farthest you ever walk is from your front door to your driveway but cities are pretty huge. If your job is 10 blocks away than you are pretty much walking a mile and a half each way.
>>
>>7300749
I live in a walkable neighborhood. I quite enjoy walking around in heavy snow
>>
>>7300735
Depending on where you live. I didn't have a car when I lived in Manhattan, but I like having one in Brooklyn.

The supermarket was closed by noon today, but the indie shops were closing later. Most restaurants were open for breakfast and lunch, but are closing for dinner, because no one will be able to get home after 4PM when half the subways are being shut down.
>>
File: come on.jpg (31KB, 836x460px) Image search: [Google]
come on.jpg
31KB, 836x460px
>>7300734
He's doing the responsible thing, so that people don't drive and get in accidents. He's saving lives. There's already a 9 year old missing boy in D.C. that I saw on the news, he needs his medicine and he's lost out in the snow. It's people like you if you were in charge we'd have 9 missing 9 year olds instead of just one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHcP8Hjwpg
>>
guys should I order pad thai or chinese food
>>
>>7300762
yeah, fuck freedom
>>
>>7300766
pad thai

always pad thai
>>
>>7300762
>There's already a 9 year old missing boy in D.C. that I saw on the news
So we shouldn't allow kids to enjoy themselves and play in the snow because one kid has bad parents?

Playing out in snowstorms should be an integral part of any kids' childhood. I feel sorry for today's urban east coast youth if their elected bureaucrats try and prevent that
>>
>>7300771
While you're fighting for freedom from the nanny state are you going to be fighting for people to do heroine and polygamists to marry as many people as they want, or is muh freedom only important when it comes to the Fox News Narrative of what makes a nanny state.
>>
>>7300762
Fuck, you americans are pathetic.
It's a few feet of snow. Whoopee. It's not a valcano erupting or a tsunami or a flood. It's just some snow. Jesus Christ. I've gone through way worse cold conditions. Get some testicles.
>>
>>7300630
>Where do you live?
Someplace where it actually snows more than a foot and not some namby hype shit like four inches.
>>
>>7300785
>fighting for people to do heroine
Surely more harm has been done by our war on drugs than would be done otherwise, but thats for another thread

>and polygamists to marry as many people as they wan
If everyone involved is a consenting adult I couldn't care less. Why would it possibly be some politician's responsibility to tell adults what to do with their personal life?
>>
>>7300789
Its not all america, If this hit Chicago, Milwaukee and Minneapolis it wouldn't even make the news
>>
>>7300780
In today's society we need to protect kids from themselves, from strangers, and from lazy parents.

There are irresponsible parents like these who "free range" raise their kids and allow them to walk to and from school by themselves....! They're too lazy to pick their kids up or walk with them, and rightfully have gotten in trouble with the law.

We need laws to protect the children whether it's from a snowstorm or laziness.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/13/parents-investigated-letting-children-walk-alone/25700823/
>>
>>7300771
In a way shutting the city down is a kind of freedom. It's the only time you'll see New Yorkers not in a rush to get somewhere. Everyone I saw on the streets today was much more cheerful and outgoing than normal.

Kind of the same way everyone just pretty much partied for the week after 9-11 and the days of the 2003 blackout.
>>
>>7300798
I completely agree that we need to protect kids from bad parents, but I do not agree that that means we should ban them from enjoying time outside in the snow. One bad parent shouldn't be allowed to ruin things for everyone else
>>
>>7300789
haha this edgey Canadian thinks anyone cares what he has to say
>>
>>7300780
>>7300798
>not being able to understand that there is a difference between playing in the snow and going outside in a whiteout blizzard

http://patch.com/us/across-america/winter-storm-jonas-slams-east-coast-latest-updates-0
11 people already died and the storm is just getting started
>>
File: joe.jpg (26KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
joe.jpg
26KB, 640x360px
>>7300789
>>There's already a 9 year old missing boy in D.C. that
If it was a few feet of standing water you would be freaking out, you freak out about what you're not accustomed to. We don't get snow like this so were ill prepared for it and aren't experienced enough to drive in it responsibly.
>>
>>7300840
>11 people already died and the storm is just getting started
Do you realize how that is an incredibly small number?

This is akin to saying all cars should be banned because people die in car accidents every day. Its just media hype of something that is rather mundane
>>
>>7300840
Some of the best time I had in college was the 2 snow days we had. If a college campus with tens of thousands of drunk people wandering a blizzard can survive I think we will be fine
The funniest part was everyone rushing the liquor stores after they announced classes would be canceled the next day
>>
>>7300850
>Do you realize how that is an incredibly small number?
one life lost is one too many, what if it was a family member of yours? you're being cold and heartless. And any number can be made to seem small by com paring it to others. To make any tragedy seem small all you have to do is compare that number to the number of victims who died in the holocaust and it looks minuscule.
>>
>>7300871
>one life lost is one too many
People die every day. We cannot live our lives avoiding anything with any risk whatsoever. Thats a terrible way to live

By that logic we should ban everything from red meat and sausage, to alcohol, to cars and knives. and only allow people to go outside during daylight hours of mostly cloudy though precipitationless days (to avoid both skin cancer and the risk of falling on slippery conditions)

Also, make sure you never approach a non-white neighborhood because the risk of getting shot is way too high to survive your logic
>>
>>7300871
leave the kids to their edgey /b/ comments
>>
>>7300882
>By that logic we should ban everything from red meat and sausage, to alcohol, to cars and knives. and only allow people to go outside during daylight hours of mostly cloudy though precipitationless days (to avoid both skin cancer and the risk of falling on slippery conditions)

What's wrong with that? At least we would all be safe.
>>
>>7300882
>>7300886
oh wow, trolls trolling trolls, it's like I really am on /b/
>>
Actually, I prefer to order take-out in a snowstorm.

I really like driving in the snow. I live in Cleveland, we get plenty of snow (usually) but it's never been unmanageable for as long as I've been driving. I don't have snow tires or anything. You just have to actually know how to drive, and very few people, despite having licenses, actually know how to drive.
>>
>>7300890
yeah, driving in the snow is quite enjoyable
It gets a little dicey when going at interstate speeds in heavy snow, but other than that its usually fun
>>
>>7300894
Fortunately, it's rarely necessary to go on the interstate just to pick up some shui zhu from your local Szechwan place.

The scariest part about the Interstate is other drivers.
>>
>>7300886
Yea please ban all fun so we can all live safely and die at the ripe age of 99 bored out of our minds to insanity because life is so fuckign miserable with all the safety rules

its people like you who cause suicide rates to go up by trying to further your boredom agenda
>>
File: 1437538701262.jpg (32KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1437538701262.jpg
32KB, 400x267px
>>7300540
>Snowing outside
>Order delivery pizza and it comes out to $20 exactly
>I only have twenties and they never have enough to break a 20 because robbery shit
>Pay him the $20 and hand him a cup of hot cocoa as tip
>closed the door
Felt bad man.
>>
>>7300540
Just tip the delivery guy extra :^)
>>
>>7300999
thats his problem if he doesn't have change for a 20.
>>
>>7300999
You gave him a free cup?
>>
>>7301022
red solo cup
>>
>>7300713
even drudge has been covering it like all week.

I guess it's a big deal because it impacts so many people but I don't see why it's headline-worthy. we've had worse in ohio and no one cared
>>
>snowstorm
>dangerous

Maybe in your shitty country but my country has actual infrastructure, the worst a snowstorm can do is knock out the electricity for a few hours
>>
>>7300557

Because the people who decide whether or not to stay open generally aren't the same people who are making the deliveries, and there are people who legitimately don't give a shit about their employees' safety.
>>
>>7301160
I bet the people making the deliveries prefer making money to having their shift canceled

and its not like food delivery requires long distance interstate travel, its usually less than a mile on low sped roads, hardly a significant risk
>>
>>7300540
>Tfw thought about ordering a few pizzas before the snowstorm to tide me over but didn't
>now have a hue craving for pizza
Life is suffering.
>>
File: stpat.jpg (84KB, 476x600px) Image search: [Google]
stpat.jpg
84KB, 476x600px
>>7301068
Probably because it affects 85 million people. Just today, the state of Virginia has had over 700 vehicle collisions.
>>
>>7301151
Probably because you live in a dirtpoor slum with no actual infrastructure to begin with
>>
>>7301174

Depends on how bad the weather is. If you wouldn't drive in the weather over safety, I don't think you should expect someone else to just so you can have some takeout.
>>
>>7301213
>has had over 700 vehicle collisions.
most of them were probably very minor.
I don't think its national news than a bunch of southerners aren't used to driving in snow and slowly slide into eachother
>>
>>7301226
My neighborhood is kind of hilly, so maybe a few times where I would worry about getting stuck if the plows are not out yet, but I have never experienced something where city streets were too dangerous to handle. There have been a few times where I have been a little weary about getting on the highway, but I have never missed work over it, but obviously we are not ordering delivery from stuff far away to require a highway
>>
>>7301227
Fucking casuals, I haven't had winters on in 3 years, have a rear wheel drive shitbucket and live in calgary and have still never gotten in an accident. Driving in snow and ice is easy, you just gotta be observant and know your car's capabilities
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.