[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steak Inside Cast Iron then Oven

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: seared-strip-steak-ck-x.jpg (32KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
seared-strip-steak-ck-x.jpg
32KB, 300x300px
Hey guys, so tonight I'm gonna be cooking about 2lbs of top sirloin. Thing is, it's cold as fuck outside so I'm not gonna be standing out by my grill. I'm gonna sear it on my range top in this big cast iron pan I have and then finish it in the oven.

My question is what temp should I put the oven at to finish the steak in? 350 - 400? Thanks!
>>
Well I did a bit of googling and reading and it seems a good amount of people like to put them in at 425-450 for just a few minutes to get it Med-Rare after searing in the pan.

I guess I'm gonna try about 425 and just keep an eye on them and poke them with my finger.
>>
>>7293424

You should do a reverse sear instead. Put in the oven at a fairly low temp until it gets up to 120 or so interior, take it out, let it rest a couple minutes, then give it a quick sear in your cast iron using a neutral oil with a high smoke point.

Putting it in the oven first is better because it dries off the outside so you get a better, tastier sear.
>>
What's the green stuff? Rosemary? If so, does it make much difference? Also, why not mince the garlic/shallot?
>>
>>7293724
that looks like thyme to me but you can use rosemary the same way. Yeah, it makes a difference. It tastes great and smells even better. Bonus points if you deglaze the pan with a little brandy after you've cooked the steak to make an awesome pan sauce with the herb essence in there.

>>why not mince the garlic
Because if you mince it too fine then it will burn/overcook by the time the steak is done. I lightly smash the garlic cloves but otherwise put them in whole. If I'm using shallots then I slice them but not too thin.
>>
>>7293705
Very...fucking...interesting.

I have read a little bit about this. I will have to try it out. I always cook my steaks on high heat on the range in a cast iron for 45-60 seconds a side then pop into an oven at like 450 for 5-7 minutes depending.

Nice work anon. I doubt I will hate it if it involves steak.
>>
>>7294416
A hot sear right off the bat reduces moisture more than a reverse sear. I either do a reverse sear, or I usually do the cold skillet start.
>>
Looked this up last night

Put cast iron in oven, preheat to 500. Take pan out, put on stove for 5 minutes on high. Sear steak for 30 seconds on each side, turn off stove, then put pan in oven for 2 minutes on each side. That should be medium rare
>>
>>7293424

If you've got cheapy supermarket 1/4 inch steaks, it's not going to take you long before you over cook it, so just sear one side, flip and baste, and immediately toss that bitch in the oven, and be prepared to pull it out in like a minute.

Using a probe helps.
>>
>>7296688
They're at least 1" thick. And I know how to cook a steak fine just never done it by finishing in the oven before, always out on the grill.
>>
File: IMG_1328.jpg (400KB, 1306x980px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1328.jpg
400KB, 1306x980px
I just pan seared my first steak. I used Tri tip since it was discounted.
What level of doneness would this be?
>>
>>7297031
Medium
>>
>>7297031
r a w
a
w
>>
>>7297031
Tri-tip is cheap because it is a tough cut; it should be cooked low and slow, and cut across the grain (or on the bias in steaks). Nice try.

BTW, if you take the average of the overcooked exterior and under-cooked middle, that's about medium done.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.