[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: post your recent /ck/ related purchases >pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

File: file.png (171KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
171KB, 600x600px
ITT: post your recent /ck/ related purchases

>pic related
I bought a cast alluminium skillet with titanium coating.
>>
File: 6e184fa487b80516b24507dd1ae83230.jpg (81KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
6e184fa487b80516b24507dd1ae83230.jpg
81KB, 1500x1500px
>>7292930

Interesting.

Why'd you go with aluminum if you don't mind me asking?

Pic related for me. It looked cute and was on sale for $40 at my BB&B.
>>
>>7293589
>Why'd you go with aluminum if you don't mind me asking?
alluminium transfers heat very fast (and evenly), and cast aluminium is very durable. Titanium coating for non-stick and scratch resistance.
>>
Am I the only one bothered when someone posts a pic of a sharp knife next to a pic of a nonstick pan? Triggers my PRSD (post roommate stress disorder).
>>
>>7293645
You're not the only one.

>>7293643
Very fast, I can understand, but I was under the assumption that heat was distributed more evenly steel rather than aluminum?

This is curious to me. At work we are told that it's fast, but uneven, and steel is slow but very even. I may need to read into it a bit more.
>>
>>7293656
The evenness of heating is determined by two factors: thickness and material.

Given two pans of equal thickness the aluminum pan will distribute the heat far better than the steel pan will because it's thermal conductivity is higher.

On the other hand, many iron pans happen to be very thick (cast iron being a good example). Compare a thick iron pan to a thin aluminum pan and now things get more complicated. One would have to know exactly the thicknesses involved before being able to address the question in that case.
>>
>>7293667
this. That's why cast aluminium pans (at least from what I've seen, and the one I bought pictured in OP) are pretty thick.
>>
>>7293667

Wow!

Good to know! Thank you so much! I'll delve a little further into it online, but it'll make a world of difference to my brides now that I can possibly stop feeding them Tri-Ply and All Clad.

You wouldn't happen to have any recommendations for good quality aluminum pans that rival high end steel ones would you?
>>
File: Slide11.jpg (109KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Slide11.jpg
109KB, 720x540px
>>7292930
>>
>>7293675
>You wouldn't happen to have any recommendations for good quality aluminum pans that rival high end steel ones would you?

Pretty much anything from a Restaurant Supply store.

That's really the trick to finding good pans. Most of what you see in the home furnishing stores are either cheap crap, or they're better but hugely overpriced due to the fancy packaging, brand name, or some Celeb chef's name on the box. That's best avoided. Restaurant cooks don't give a crap about the brand name or whose pretty picture is on the box. They need something that's durable and performs well and without the horrific pricing of, say, Calphalon and All-clad.

For Aluminum fry pans I'd suggest Eagleware or Tramontina.
>>
Stays warm for 4 hours
cold for 6
>>
File: IMG_20160121_162206.jpg (213KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160121_162206.jpg
213KB, 1280x720px
>>7293706
im an idiot
>>
>>7293685

Again, thanks!

I'll be sure to check them out! Luckily enough I live between two large cities so i'm bound to have a Restaurant Supply store somewhere near.

I'll make sure to pop in a couple and look around.

Thanks again!
>>
File: 14534141938531093165198.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
14534141938531093165198.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
This just came today and I just did first step of seasoning in the oven. About to finish it up by stir frying some onion.
>>
>>7293861
>wok
>electric range top

I hope you're prepared for some piss-poor cooking performance anon. Woks need a FLAME for proper heating. Because the base is round it doesn't make good contact with your cooktop, which is weak enough without introducing a big air gap.

Get a portable gas burner, or just use a flat pan which may not have the ideal shape but at least it has good contact with the cooktop.
>>
File: 1453415027153807923382.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
1453415027153807923382.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>7293866
> implying it's my first wok

I get enough heat to smoke out refined peanut oil instantly. So. Yeah. Also moving to gas in two months anyway which I am pretty excited for.
>>
I stole some whisky stones for weighing down sous vide bags.

Does that count?
>>
>>7293905
>> implying it's my first wok
Well, given the silliness of using a wok on electric heat it seemed like a very valid implication. I have a hard time believing that you have wok experience but are still doing this.

>I get enough heat to smoke out refined peanut oil instantly

Utterly meaningless since you're talking about a small amount of oil. Let's see that level of heat keep up when you've got a bunch of veggies and meat in there. The heat should be enough that you could fully cook a typical stir fry dish in literally under two minutes. Not an exaggeration. Meat cooked, veg blistered, and the sauce prepared in under two minutes. that's the kind of heat that Bao requires. And if you're not doing Bao then what's the point of the wok at all? Make the food "asian" because it was cooked in a wok?

You will be much happier with it after your move! I'd be excited about that too!
>>
File: 1760566_KESPER.jpg (78KB, 600x560px) Image search: [Google]
1760566_KESPER.jpg
78KB, 600x560px
>>7292930
bought this to grind up chillies
>>
>>7293933
Indeed. And yes fair implication. I do keep the heat up with food in but admittedly have to work in batches sometimes so as to not overwhelm my heat. I am a single person though so usually do pretty well. Also another trick is to cover the holes on the wok ring with foil. Helps to trap more heat and electric doesn't need the air flow. I've got to re - foil my big ring for this wok though since it sits deeper than the 16"
>>
>>7293945
I bought one too, to make green pesto. Haven't used it yet.
>>
does lodge make good carbon steel?
>>
File: demeyere 9.5in.jpg (8KB, 574x459px) Image search: [Google]
demeyere 9.5in.jpg
8KB, 574x459px
Super happy with it so far.

Every single pan Ive had to date has had terrible hot spots. I had a gift card and decided that Id treat myself
>>
>>7295294

Great pans if you don't have a chromium phobia.
>>
>>7292930
Tadafusa Santoku
cerax 6000 whetstone
leather and chromium oxide

gettin' mah edge on
>>
>>7295546
Uhh what
>>
>>7295656

Stainless steel leaches nickel and chromium, some people say they get an allergic reaction from it.
>>
not the best I've had but I moved recently and needed some so I went for these reasonably priced sekitobei knives, they do the job
>>
>>7295294
Where are you from? Demeyere is fantastic
>>
>>7296170
im from SF/Bay Area

This pan really is great. I love the weight of it
>>
>>7297504
I asked because I'm Belgian, I didn't know they exported these all over the world
>>
>>7297546
well I had never heard about the brand at all(even on /ck/) until I talked to a person at a restaurant supply store.

Got it off amazon but I bet its cheaper there
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.