[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I got a food processor for Christmas, but I still haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 419OkL9yXZL.jpg (23KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
419OkL9yXZL.jpg
23KB, 500x500px
So I got a food processor for Christmas, but I still haven't tried it out since I just don't know what to do with it. What's some cool shit I can make with one? I tried googling around but all I'm getting is the usual hummus and other dips/homemade butter/pie crusts/other incredibly situation things. I don't want the person who bought it for me feel as if it was a waste of money or anything so I really wanna get some use out of it.

I was thinking about making some cheesecake but it looks like I need an electric mixer as well, which I don't have. Definitely going to make some flavoured butters and soups though. What else can I make? Is it possible to make bread dough with one of these things? Or would it fuck up the dough?
>>
Anyone? Is there not much else I can do with it than what I posted?
>>
I never understood what the point of food processors was. Why not just chop your shit up, senpai? Chopping shit up is a good release of stress. If you have a good set of knives, you can chop all day and all night on your favorite veggies and meats. I bought my mom a new pair of knives to chop her shit up as well, she has never been happier. Food processors take all the joy out of chopping shit up. Plus they take up space, and are generally ugly. Leave chopping to the humans, senpai
>>
>>7290189
I got it for Christmas man, free kitchen appliances are always cool. But I agree, chopping things by hand is way more fun. It seems pretty neat for making homemade spreads and shit but I just don't really see myself making those all that often.

I was thinking about asking the person who got it for me to return it and get an electric mixer instead but I think it's too late to return it.
>>
Is there really nothing else I can do with it?
>>
>>7290252
If I'm feeling lazy I'll use mine to make cake batter instead of stirring by hand.
Also, doing things like thai curry pastes or super smooth mash.
And of course the usual pestos, dips etc. You could always do something like pates?
>>
What I use my food processor for:

Hummus, creaming butter with sugar, cutting in butter to pastry flour, making peanut butter from roasted peanuts, making cashew paste in order to make cream sauce, making almond paste for filling pastries or marzipan, etc.

Things I have never used my food processor for: Slicing vegetables.
>>
>>7290264
Oh, curry pastes and smooth mash sound good. Making shepard's pie sounds a little easier to make now. Thanks anon.
>>
>>7290195
I was just fucking with you, if you bake your own bread, I hear it's handy for kneading the dough. Plus, if you cook for large numbers of people it saves time
>>
I use mine for :
>Making praline paste
>Pie crust
>Slicing vegetables if I'm batch cooking on my own (faster and I'm lazy)
>Grating vegetables (for morrocan carrot salad or zucchini patties)
>humus/dips
>smooth purees (pumpkin, parsnips, celery root)
>>
>>7290264
>>7290274
Don't blend potatoes into mash. It will release all the starch from the cells and make it gluey.
>>
I have a variety of large sized processors at work at my disposal for batch blending, but use the smallest little Cuisinart at home. Probably holds about a litre of liquid?

My favourite thing to use it for (other than hummus etc, as you've mentioned is situational), is compound butters.

One of the best recipes I can remember offhand would be a 50/50 blend of raw sliced shallots, the rest cooked, some raw garlic, salt/pepper, bit of liquor (bourbon, maybe a dry sherry), parsley, spices (onion powder, garlic powder, chili flakes, bit of cumin)..

Add a bit of sliced prosciutto and blend it all together with some softened salted butter. A lot of it. Roll that mix up in some plastic wrap and let it chill in a log in your fridge.

This shit is primo on seared steaks, potatoes of any kind, vegetables, plain white rice.. Holy shit you can literally put this nonsense on everything. Try it anon. Fuck with the ingredients.

Just never skimp on the amount of butter you use. I'd think maybe 40% ingredients, the rest butter, whipped. Anything more than that and when you slice it after chilling, it'll just crumble. You want to be able to slice this shit into delicious medallions of sorts.

Tasty!
>>
>>7290061
Isn't this a blender?
>>
>>7290189
Dude, even professional chefs use food processors (I should know, I used to be one, and have worked in many a professional kitchen). It's another kitchen tool, and very handy when you need to make a very smooth sauce or paste that would otherwise take you eons to do by hand in mortar and pestle or chopping bowl.
I use mine mainly for making spice pastes like curry paste, chile paste, achiote sauce, and that sort of thing.
Doing everything by hand with a knife doesn't make you a better cook, but it does perfect your knife skills. That's about it.
>>
I recently received a beautiful antique tart dish from my family, and so I've been looking into tart recipes. I found a chocolate tart recipe, but it was too sweet, so I used my food processor to grind roasted almonds and pretzels to make a crust.
A +
Also, flavored butters are the way to go. Red wine and sun dried tomato butter is what I use to start any sort of pasta dish that involves tomato sauce.
>>
Salsa. Tomatoes, peppers, onions
>>
>>7291345
I have a tomato tart recipe if you want it.
>>
I use mine on a nearly daily basis to process onions/shallots, herbs/spices and garlic

Stuff you need to start basically every recipe, used to take me over 10 mins to prep all that stuff, now I just throw it all together in the bowl and buzz it for like 20 seconds
>>
Make some sausage stuffed mushrooms
>>
>>7291416
This also is an incredibly smart idea.

If you have a smaller food processor, blitz your shallots, garlic, herbs separetely in oil. That'll hold well in the fridge, and cuts time in half, while you're preparing that restaurant quality pasta (etc) at home for your shitty wife to enjoy.
>>
>>7291484
She's fine with most things I do, it's her son that's fussy.
>>
I used to take 20 minutes of chopping to make this ultra-fine onion slurry out of two onions. With a processor it takes me 5 minutes.

Just got one for christmas as well, but I still haven't really figured out how to make a good mirepoix with it. Maybe I should pulse more and for less time?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.