[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do chefs have temper tantrums. they act like they are running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

why do chefs have temper tantrums. they act like they are running a pirate ship, not something that is a totally frivelous luxury
>>
depends on the person, I think gordon is mostly for show but I have worked with some who just freak out at the smallest mistakes.
>>
Never creates a healthy work atmosphere. I always avoided kitchens with chefs who had anger issues. Now I have my own place and we treat each other with respect.
>>
>>7285675
Frivelous luxury? The bitchier, the better.
Example: fashionists, chefs, art gallery owners, coiffeurs. You name it. It's a meme indeed.
>>
Depends on the chef. I've worked for two renowned chefs so far; one of them never talked to us unless he had to, hell, sometimes he was even nice. The other, my current employer, will freak out on me if the weather changes.
>>
File: 1395696147512.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1395696147512.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
If you think chefs have temper tantrums, may I introduce you to Front of House managers?

Literally unpleasable and self-important.
>>
>>7285689
What makes you think that?
>>
>>7285675
try working as a cook
>>
>>7285769
Not that guy, but seriously man put 2 and 2 together, he's on fucking camera for a tv show.
>>
File: 1451283344224.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1451283344224.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>7285675
>like they are running a pirate ship
>pirate ship
>pirate ship........
>.......pirate ship

Holy Fuck it's actually like that. That's fucking hilarious
>>
>>7285804
Well if you are basing an opinion on one show then sure, maybe thats an act.

Although that doesnt really explain why he behaves in the same way in his own restaurant with his own staff, even when he doesnt know cameras are on him.
>>
>>7285869
Gordon is the oposite in the UK shows he does.
Also, there's way less dramatic music and weird shit like that in the UK version of his shows(like the one he goes to failing restaurants and all that).

TL;DR It's all for TV
>>
>>7286607
>Although that doesnt really explain why he behaves in the same way in his own restaurant with his own staff, even when he doesnt know cameras are on him.
>>
>>7285804
He learned from Marco Faggair White, and he threw tantrums as well.
>>
>>7285675
I think there are a few reasons.

At the top levels, you're looking at people who have worked their ass off for years and years to get where they are. They have dedicated most of their life to cooking. Once they are in charge, its probably their menu, their creations etc. They want it done perfectly. Add to that its a high pressure environment and its easy to see why they lose their cool.

Also a tiny mistake can cost you a michelin star, which I imagine will have a massive impact on number of customers. A restaurant depends on its reputation.
>>
Dane here, the head-chef of Noma (non-plebs will know) are known to throw temper tantrums in his kitchen. I can imagine this is something that comes with the pressure of having to maintain Michelin-standard at a restaurant.

I can see this happening at mcdonalds desu
>>
>>7287017
Have you ever been to Nomu?

I have seen a few youtube clips, and I just dont get it. Maybe everyone says they like it because everyone else says they like it? A case of Kejserens nye Klæder,
>>
They act like they're doing something important though which they're not. Wow you're cooking food something everyone has done 2-3 times a day since dawn of mankind

It's basically toilet cleaning on a tight schedule
>>
>other kitchen staff is stupid as fuck
>alot of stress and time pressure
what did you expect to happen?
>>
>>7285719
I agree. I have never dealt with a manager that didn't have some sort of bullshit arrogance.
>>
>>7285869
>when he doesnt know cameras are on him
lol
>>
>>7287030
Of course you don't 'get it' from watching youtube clips.
You're not going to 'get' a classic play by reading a synopsis of it either.
It's a unique experience of creative compositions of food where everything is perfectly executed. You have to be highly passionate about food to really appreciate it.
>>
>>7289084
If you're not highly passionate, it's just going to be some really good food for a hell of a lot of money.
>>
>>7285675
>pirate ship

because that's the entire ethos behind running a resturant yet pirates are also legendary fuckups.

kitchen: turning $3 worth of food into a $15 plate of deliciousness should be a lock on prosperity, right? You're practically robbing people if you're good enough

And yet 75% of restaurants are breakeven or little better thanks to all the retard shit htat goes on in a kitchen.

thus: angry Capn Hook chefs. Totally natural reaction to the environment
>>
>>7287030
I've been to the noma Japan pop-up buy have yet to go to the original regardless it was really good and really cool. met Rene and talked about coffee with one of the servers for like 30 min

sorry this didn't help at all just relaying experience but Rene seemed nice as fuck I couldn't imagine him actually yelling
>>
>>7289118
Naailed it.
This become very clear to me in my first year of working in the kitchen.
In the second year i started to understand how much my headchef worked > handled all the pressure and got the food out on time > understanding that he was one of the main pillars in this standing business...
Then when i found out his salary it explained why he had a shit attitude at times. Now he has his own established resturant earning a good living and paying staff correctly.
>>
>>7285675
Every professional that cares a lot about his job does that.
>>
>>7285675
Because I have a standard and if I'm paying you to meet that standard and you're not, I'm going to freak out.

But for real, I don't yell. I just say "what the fuck? Fix this please"
>>
great Gordon banter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Z7EPh8oLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7YhCLUz-To
>>
>>7285700
until that happens...
>>
>>7285675
Because the people they're feeding don't act like its a frivolous luxury... Have you ever tried being mr. laid back coolio while working in a fucking restaurant? Patrons are complete assholes. They force that atmosphere
>>
>>7285719

I m loved by my kitchen staff..

But I can see your point..
>>
>>7285675
Because they care and/or are alcoholics
>>
Its pretty stressful work that requires the ability to multitask (10+ things at a time), strong attention to detail, and a quick pace.

If one person isnt pulling their weight, everything can go to shit rather quickly.

It's also hot as fuck.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.