[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't get /ck/'s rice cooking darling, a zojirushi,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: zojirushi.jpg (10KB, 300x272px) Image search: [Google]
zojirushi.jpg
10KB, 300x272px
Can't get /ck/'s rice cooking darling, a zojirushi, in Europe. At least not the cheaper models that everyone raves about.

What's a good alternative?
>>
You can get them here: http://www.yumasia.co.uk/
but it's pretty damn expensive
>>
>>7282196
I live in the US, but bought a tiger instead.
It works really nice.
>>
Looked this up out of curiosity...

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-Uncooked-Premium-1-0-Liter/dp/B00007J5U7/ref=sr_1_6

How is this worth $174? Rice is so cheap, you probably won't eat $174 worth in your entire life. Also, it's rice; how complicated is your cooking process?
>>
>>7282196
Get one by a Japanese company, spend atleast a 100 dollars and make sure it has a locking lid

If you do that your rice cooker will be great, after that its just determining what if any other special features you want.
>>
File: rice cooker and musubi press.jpg (841KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
rice cooker and musubi press.jpg
841KB, 2048x1536px
>>7282902

>you probably won't eat $174 worth in your entire life

I bought that exact model and can tell you that it didn't even come with rice included. Seriously, you spend all that money, and STILL have to purchase the rice separately!

It's actually pretty god tier to have even if you only cook rice once or twice a week.

I'm currently living with other people so I keep/use it in my room, because even though I think it was worth the money I'd still get pretty pissed if some idiot fucked it up.
>>
>>7282902
$174 is a lot of rice, but in your life you'll eat far more than that.
A lot of these are made to perfectly steam rice and keep it like that for hours on end without dropping the temp.
That said: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KDNKTJG?keywords=tiger%20rice%20cooker&qid=1453156727&ref_=sr_1_1&s=kitchen&sr=1-1
will do just fine as well
>>
>>7282196
A saucepan. Very cheap.
>>
>>7282966
parents bought their's in the early 2000s?
It's still performing well despite cooking rice in it every day.

10/10 would recommend zojirushi
>>
>>7283014
This. I have no idea how people can fuck up rice.
>>
>>7282902
eh.

I'm pretty sure I've surpassed spending $175 on rice in the last 5 years.
a $25 pound bag of jasmine runs ~$20 & the misc. brown rice/basmati/short grain i pick up add up to over $35 a year
>>
>>7283023

I'm sure you can if you're a little imaginative.

My roommates once tried to boil water by heating the empty pot up first.
>>
>>7283023

You've probably only ever eaten poorly prepared rice your entire life and think it's normal.

Not saying it's some great feat to prepare rice well just using a pot, but having any kind of rice perfectly cooked every time at the push of a button is a nice convenience.

You should go talk to britbongs who think electric kettles are worth spending money on, and ask them about the superior quality of their boiled water compared to plebs who still use a pot on a stove.
>>
>>7283038
Britbongs kettles get to the boil much quicker than on the hob due to their far superior 230V electrical supply.
>>
>>7283087

>oh matey!
>it's quite nearly tea time and i had forgotten to put a pot of water on the hob!
>surely we wont be able to wait the two minutes it takes to boil if we only set it on now!
>>
>>7283038
>You've probably only ever eaten poorly prepared rice your entire life and think it's normal.

Nice assumptions. It's fluffy, tender and the grains are separated and I use store brand rice for ffs.
>>
>>7283126
>the grains are separated
So its not good
>>
>>7283148
>>7283126
yeaaaa if your rice isn't sticking together at all, it's not cooked properly.

Also in the US, got an electric kettle (might replace with a Japanese hotpot for water all day at one temp) and a rice cooker. My roommate and I use them both frequently.
>>
File: Rice-Cooker2.jpg (714KB, 335x335px) Image search: [Google]
Rice-Cooker2.jpg
714KB, 335x335px
How does this thing compare to those expensive japanese rice cookers?
It was only $25, I can't complain, it's already paid for itself many times over.
>>
>>7282196
>What's a good alternative?
Learning to cook rice without a rice cooker.
>>
>>7282196
I bought a cheaper thing from Target; it works great. Called Aroma Sensor Logic Rice Cooker. $50 and makes perfect white/brown/wild rice, congee, porridge, and oatmeal. Also slow cooks and supposedly bakes but I haven't tried that latter part yet; sounds dubious. Not sure if they have Target in Eurostan but if they do give it a look; cheaper than that overpriced Jap shit anyway. Or get a Tiger.
>>
I've been shopping for one of those fancy smart electric pressure cookers recently. Most have a rice cooker mode. My friend just bought an Instapot, and he has a zojirushi. He says the instapot isn't quite as magical and automatic, but for jasmine rice the end result is entirely comparable.

Anybody else have experience with these kinds of things?
>>
I got a Narita rice cooker, and it's perfect so far. My roommate makes his rice using an Aroma cooker, and I notice it comes out like a disgusting mush but I'm pretty sure that's all him.
>>
>>7284710
>see japanese and aroma in the same general vicinity
>start thinking about the watermarks on those super hot lactation videos with the asian girls
Thanks motherfucker.
>>
>>7284710
i got one for christmas of 2014 and its still working great i use it at least once a week

i only ever use it to cook short grain white rice tho fuck all the other functions
>>
>>7282196
Rice is best cooked by steaming. Rice cookers a shit.
>>
>>7283148
>>7283234
Depends on the type of rice. Sticky/glutinous rice that is primarily or entirely amylopectin will stick together, but rice with a higher amylose content will not (Such as Basmati).
>>
>>7285035
That's exactly what a rice cooker does.
>>7285048
When I said stick together, I didn't mean like sticky rice. Pretty much all rice sticks together to some degree, even basmati.
>>
>>7284901
Anything more specific like a title or studio code? I need to know more about those videos for research purpose.
>>
File: IMG_2042.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2042.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>2 tbsp butter
>2 tbsp olive oil
>1 small yellow onion
>saute yellow onion for 10 minutes on medium
>get casserole dish
>measure in 2 cups long grain white rice
>pour onions with the butter/oil over rice
>coat every grain of rice with the liquid
>warm 3 cups of chicken stock
>add pinch of saffron
>add pinch cayenne pepper
>pour over rice and stir lightly
>cover with heavy foil and stick in oven
>350F for 45 minutes
>let rest for 10 minutes when done

Saffron rice pilaf is stupid simple to make, you can't fuck it up.
Pic related; it's the god of all herbs
>>
>>7283106
my kettle boils in 5 seconds Tbh
>>
>>7284710
I have that model actually. It works great. The only problem is that if you don't stir the rice as soon as it's done and turn it off, it will brown the bottom grains on its "keep warm" setting.
>>
>>7284710
People who have never had anything better think its great and way better than a pot. Anyone who has used something better thinks its crap
>>
>>7282196
Tiger brand is the best, f a m.
>>
>>7285363
Tiger is good but they are second best, maybe even third best behind Panasonic
>>
>>7282239
>>7284754
>>7285363
Not that I don't appreciate the input, but I'm looking for something in Europe that doesn't involve the insane prices of >>7282201
>>
>>7282907
>Get one by a Japanese company
This.

My Vietnamese wife wanted nother but the Japanese Tiger brand. It is also the one her aunt uses in Cali.

model JBA-T18U
http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-JBA-T18U-WU-10-Cup-Uncooked-Cooker/dp/B004ECJKNS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_79_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Jp1JTm%2B4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR156%2C160_&refRID=0TKM1JZSFJN0RGN3ZZ9H
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.