[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

experience buying fish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: l3ZKixD.gif (2MB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
l3ZKixD.gif
2MB, 600x337px
This is probably going to sound stupid.
since it is a petty fear/anxiety
but to make it short I want to start a more pesecetarian diet, but I have never bought fish on my own before.
Do you have to get it in certain sizes?
or can I just be like "I want 3 6 once pieces of salmon."?
Is there usually a way to know what they have? or do you have to ask?

I get kinda nervous about social situations especially ones I am inexperienced in. It's been one of the main things from keeping me going shopping.

any help would be appreciated
-some autistic fag
>>
You don't sound autistic. You sound like a sheltered moron
>>
>>7277048
I was the same way and yes that is all you will have to do. Keep in mind they will be like is a 5.8 , 6.1 and 6.4 pices ok?

They charge by weight so it's fine.
>>
>>7277048
Go to the fish counter.
Look at what they have.
Tell the person behind the counter that you want X amount of Y.
They will weigh it out, wrap it up and hand it to you.
Say "Thank you." and if the person at the counter tells you to have a nice day you say "You too."
>>
>>7277048
some fish you can buy whole some are already cut into fillets some are prepackaged and frozen, i dont think i've seen fresh fish sold buy weight unless you ask for 6 once of fillets then they give you as close to that as you can. read a few recipes and see what they ask for
>>
>>7277048
>I want 3 6 once pieces
these words are english, but do not actually make a recognizable sentence. try again
>>
>>7277048
If you are going on that specific diet please do your research most super markets have terrible quality seafood. The only average quality item will be salmon but even those will be farm raised if you get them at a major chain. Try to find a fish monger or an Asian market that gets fresh fish. Research types of fish near your location and check Craigslist if you have good fishing near you, I have gotten extremely fresh fish from hobby fisherman who got a little extra and trying to sell. Now I have contact with many of them who will give me a call or a text when they sell.

Fish mongers will have the fish out on ice look for clear eyes and a not too fishy smell, many of them will gut and scale them even filet them for a small fee.

supermarkets will have salmon on ice or in see through packs listing weight, price per pound and purchase price.

Always try to get wild caught fish. Tilapia is a trash tier fish MINIMUM buy it wild caught don't buy Tilapia filets or whole Tilapia from any supermarket if you have to buy it at a fish mongers.
>>
>>7277065
If you have questions for the person selling, you can ask them. It's best to ask politely. Not everyone knows everything right away.
>>
>>7277048
if you live near the sea go to a fresh fish market and ask for fillets of whatever you want. if not go to store and buy bags of frozen fillets. salmon, swai, and cod are my go-to fish for whatever i'm cooking be it fish and rice, fish and pasta, or some gook inspired dish like salmon miso udon bowl
>>
>>7277189
I don't know about America but in Europe frozen fish from the supermarket is usually fresher then stuff from the counter, because most fish gets processed on factory ships and then theoretically won't thaw during the logistic chains, while inland marketplaces thaw it out to lay it on the counter.
>>
>>7277048
Why are you posting animu images on a food and cooking board?
>>
>>7277048

by my experience if you're shopping at a supermarket you should always buy whole fish, never fillets

the whole fish are not as rotten as the fillets.
>>
>>7277048
OFFICIAL WAY TO FISH

Put a plastic bag on your hand.
Lift the gills of the fish on ice to see if it's red, red=fresh.
Pick your fish and give it to the guy behind counter.
Tell him to clean it.
Receive cleaned fish.
>>
>>7279068

The only fresh unfrozen fish you can get is illegally from small fishermen, with a helping of parasites. The concept of "fresh" fish doesn't make much sense for filets.
>>
>>7277110
he wants three pieces of fish weighing six ounces each

it is not hard to understand
>>
File: Cool-Cat.jpg (80KB, 319x500px) Image search: [Google]
Cool-Cat.jpg
80KB, 319x500px
>mfw this thread
>mfw I live close by a sashimi grade fish market that also offers live shellfish, urchins, and crustaceans
>mfw I eat fresh, mostly raw (but not always) fish and seafood as my main protein
>>
>>7277048
I feel this way but about all food in general.
>>
>>7277048
Find a few fish stores a long way from where you live for your first few attempts. You don't want to practice in your local stores and risk making massive mistakes that will prevent you from ever shopping in them again.
>>
File: 1441233475797.jpg (41KB, 352x315px) Image search: [Google]
1441233475797.jpg
41KB, 352x315px
>>7277048
Ask for it by weight, or width of fillet. If you're getting salmon, ask them to remove the pin bones for you. It helps, and if they say 'no' they're faggots. "3 6 ounce fillets of salmon" is fine.

Look up Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program. That should at least get you started and have an idea about seafood. Ask the fish counter clerk or fish monger anything you want to know. It's going to be your food, and it's your money. Ask away, and good luck Captain Autismo.

>>7277189
>Wild-caught Tilapia

If you're looking for Tilapia, get it from US, Canada, or Ecuador farms.

>>7279068
This is mostly true in America too. I don't know about your laws, but if fish has been previously frozen (or currently), it has to be labeled as such. Helps when you're going through the seafood counter.
>>
>>7277048

Given how over-fished most of the ocean is, is eating fish responsible?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.