[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brauð þráður

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 17

File: Walnut Flax Sourdough.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Walnut Flax Sourdough.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I haven't done a bread thread in a long time.

Anybody bake anything recently? Anybody going to bake something soon? Anybody have questions about how to make bread?

I have a pretty boring dough going right now. 100% bread flour, 72% water, 2.8% salt, 2% non-diastatic malt, 0.05% yeast. Currently in autolyse. Going to add flax seed, pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, teff, and dried cranberries then bulk ferment overnight in the fridge.
>>
>>7276531
>Anybody bake anything recently?
Just my brain but I am more interested in what you're doing.
>>
File: IMG_20160116_163137.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160116_163137.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
Made these today. First time making bread in over 10 years
>>
>>7276531
I made some honey wheat oat bread a few days ago that I'm working through. Before that I made some buckwheat pecan bread that came out pretty well. Nothing super crusty like your picture, just standard sandwich loafs.

Once I finish off the honey wheat I'll probably make some rye bread I think. Waiting on my new mixer to get here since the cheapo shit one I got as a gift a few years ago finally died so I could justify getting a new Kitchenaid.
>>
File: Pan Pizza - 2.jpg (365KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Pan Pizza - 2.jpg
365KB, 1280x960px
>>7276563
Looks good. High hydration?

>>7276566
Nothing wrong with a sandwich loaf. I, too, make them from time to time.

Kitchenaids have never lasted for me. I've probably gone through 3 of the professional models, but the internals always end up wrecked by bread dough. I bake 2-4 loaves a week, so they see a lot of use in my kitchen. I upgraded to a Hobart A200 a few years ago, and since then have never looked back from commercial mixers. I now have a Globe SP10 that I like a lot. Very reliable and still has the #12 attachment hub for my meat grinder.
>>
I love these threads, they're so aspirational. I'm working on my first sourdough starter, have been maintaining it for about 2 weeks and I'm thinking of making a first loaf tomorrow. I haven't done a float test or anything yet though so I have no idea if I'm doing it right.
>>
>>7276594
Probably. Just did this

680g lukewarm water
907g King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour*
14g salt
14g instant or active dry yeast

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe
>>
your loaf is burnt. better luck next time.
>>
I bake bread all the time. Nothing fancy. Kneaded sourdough from bread-machine goes in bread-pan, let rise, and bake. Easy bread is the best bread. Bread is not worth spending a lot of time and effort making.
>>
>>7276612
Some people prefer burnt. I know I do.

Extra carcinogens for extra flavor. That's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.
>>
File: Pan Pizza - 3.jpg (229KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Pan Pizza - 3.jpg
229KB, 1280x960px
>>7276595
I've never done a float test. I mostly judge my starter by how quickly it doubles. If it's able to double in volume within 3-4 hours, I consider it mature enough to bake.

>>7276600
Looks good to me.

>>7276612
Yeah. Should probably just throw it all away.

>>7276616
The best bread is whatever you want the bread to be. Sometimes I like easy bread, sometimes I don't.
>>
Anyone have an infographic on simple white/french bread?
>>
>>7276594
I'd love to get a Hobart or Globe but I just can't afford to spend that much on a mixer right now. I figure the Kitchenaid professional has got to last longer than the garbage Sunbeam one I got as a gift a few years ago. We shall see I suppose. I only make bread once a week or so, hopefully that'll help give it some longevity.
>>
File: Fruit and Seed White Bread - 1.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit and Seed White Bread - 1.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>7276531
Ready for its overnight rest in the fridge. I wound up adding pistachios to it, as well, since I had a ton left over from another project.
>>
File: Fruit and Seed White Bread - 2.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit and Seed White Bread - 2.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>7276748
It's alive and growing.
>>
>>7277972
Awesome to see another one of your threads, FF. I always enjoyed your content when you posted a couple of years ago. I want to bake some bread at work to honor you but we don't have any yeast. What options do I have?
>>
>>7277972
damn, looking forward too seeing the final product. very inspirational, especially the pistaccios.
>>
>>7276739
I have a kenwood slave, but I do not use it every week for kneading dough. as it is multifunctional I grate parmesan blocks and freeze them, blend juice etc.
>>
>>7276748
>>7277972
FF, where'd you get this or what term do I use to search for this container? I need one of these because the mixing bowl is not always going to fit in the fridge
>>
>>7278052
99% certain that it's a Rubbermaid
>>
>>7278055

No. Those containers are called "Cambros", after the most well known brand, "Cambro". There are other companies which make knockoffs of it.

>>7278052
Any restaurant supply store, either online or brick-and-mortar.
>>
>>7278055
After trawling Amazon, it looks like Cambro makes comparable containers, but $20 for a bucket, WTF?
>>
>>7278074
>No. Those containers are called "Cambros"

Correct.
http://www.cambro.com/Food_Storage/Square_Storage_Containers_and_Lids/
>>
>>7278077
do you have a walmart nearby? They sell big plastic containers. That's what I use.
>>
>>7278077

That's about right. These things are made for professional restaurants. They are much more "heavy duty" than anything you'd find at a supermarket or target. They're made of polycarbonate--same thing as "bulletproof glass". Quality is not cheap.

For what it's worth, I own several--both the original Cambro brand and also some chinese knockoffs. I've had good luck with the main containers of the knockoffs but the lids on the knockoffs turn very brittle when taken out of the fridge/freezer. All my Cambro lids are still in perfect shape after years of use. The lids on the knockoffs all cracked and fell apart within a couple months of buying them, but the main part of the containers are still going strong.
>>
>>7278074
>restaurant supply store
I will do this to see how big these (6qt, 8qt, 12qt) bastards are. And I can always use an extra cutting board, pepper mill, baking pan and whatever else I throw in the cart.

>>7278097
Too many. I live in the suburbs of Denver.

>>7278100
Heh, it was initial sticker shock. I have no problem paying for things that last. Thanks, bruv
>>
File: Pita - 1.jpg (743KB, 2962x1641px) Image search: [Google]
Pita - 1.jpg
743KB, 2962x1641px
>>7276739
Yes, the commercial mixers are incredibly expensive. The KitchenAid Pro mixers are just fine for the average home user. The key is to limit quantity if you're going to be using it to knead low-hydration doughs.

>>7278000
Quickbreads are always an option if you don't have yeast on hand. Irish soda bread is one of my wife's favorites. I don't have much taste for it, but it does serve a purpose. Tortillas or other similar unleavened flatbreads are also doable.

>>7278052
Both >>7278055 and >>7278074 are correct. It is a Rubbermaid Cambro knockoff. It's a great tool to have in the kitchen. I have a few of them.
>>
>>7278122
This picture shows what a FibraMent stone looks like after 5 years of hard use. Still my favorite stone.
>>
>>7278127
>FibraMent stone
>$90
WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME
>>
>>7278138

Why fuck with some silly name brand like that?

Go find a contractor who makes stone countertops for peoples homes. Get a scrap of stone from him. They always have scraps from broken counters and mistakes, as well as the rectangular pieces that they cut out in order to make a hole for the sink to fit. I've gotten a few this way--sometimes free, other times for a nominal fee ($10 or so)

...or just go to the home improvement store and buy a big stone floor tile.
>>
>>7278188
I kid.

Actually, I've heard this before. Getting a stone from scrap countertops. Just needs to be un-treated in any way, right? I got a cousin....
>>
>>7278205

There is no "un treatment" required. But you do need to make sure it's actual stone as opposed to "cultured stone". "Cultured stone" is a mixture of stone chips and epoxy--that is NOT safe for high temperatures or food use. But natural stone is just that--a flat piece of granite (or whatever).
>>
>>7278220
Yea, when I said un-treated, I meant something that has had nothing done to it. Just a natural slice of rock.
>>
>>7278239

Ah, OK. I thought you meant that you had to perform some kind of "untreatement process" on the stone after you got it.

But yeah, you're right, just get a piece of natural stone.
>>
File: Fruit and Seed White Bread - 3.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit and Seed White Bread - 3.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7277972
Preshaped and now bench rest.

>>7278138
>>7278188
Been there and done that. I went through pretty much every commercial baking stone and quarry material I could find. I don't normally buy into brand name bullshit, but there are two products I stand by: FibraMent stones and Super Peels. The stone produces really substantial oven blooms I was never able to get with any other material, and the Super Peel moves even the most high hydration dough to the stone with zero effort.
>>
Oh look, it's the faggot who thinks he's God's gift to baking. GTFO and never come back, would you?
>>
>>7278387
Where's your bread OC?
>>
File: Fruit and Seed White Bread - 4.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit and Seed White Bread - 4.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7278335
Shaped. Decided to put them into loaf pans.

>>7278387
Okay. I'll go.

>>7278393
Don't sweat it. This dude (or lady, I suppose) has been griefing me for like 2 years. I have to admire his or her tenacity and commitment.
>>
>>7278477
Shut up, faggot. You can't even bake a fucking pizza.
>>
>>7276531
>2.8% salt
Is that common for you? Most of my formulas hover around the standard 2%. But I rarely assess the saltiness of a loaf unless it's noticeably under seasoned.

I like your threads. They discourage me from posting my OC bread though. They aren't as pretty as what you usually post. I need some bannetons.
>>
>>7278579
>They discourage me from posting my OC bread though
Bro, you're anon. Any OC is better than another youtuber thread.
>>
File: Whole Grain Mix - 2.jpg (2MB, 3113x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Whole Grain Mix - 2.jpg
2MB, 3113x2448px
>>7278488
You're right. I like touching tips with other dudes, and I am awful at baking whatever it is pizza means to you.

>>7278579
My salt usually sits between 2.5% and 3.0% depending on how wet the dough is. I'll admit that I like well-seasoned doughs with slow fermentation, so I tend to use more salt than many other people. A lot of the recipes I find online are, in my opinion, underseasoned and targeted at the novice baker who wants a rapid rise and result.

You should absolutely post your bread. All bread is good bread by me, and I still make plenty of ugly loaves.
>>
File: Fruit and Seed White Bread - 5.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit and Seed White Bread - 5.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>7278477
Ready to go into the oven.
>>
>>7279163
Looks overproofed. You should find a hobby that you're good at.
>>
>FF posting quality OC and that one weirdo still raging at him
Nostalgia: the thread

All we need now is Angie
>>
>>7279171
Not him, but how do we decide a dough is overproofed from a picture?
>>
File: 1446860767819.jpg (8KB, 250x225px) Image search: [Google]
1446860767819.jpg
8KB, 250x225px
>>7279171
>>
File: Fruit and Seed White Bread - 6.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit and Seed White Bread - 6.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7279163
And out of the oven. A little dark on top because I neglected to put water into the steam pan.
>>
>>7279189

your bread always looks so damn crusty and delicious

put some butter on a slice and take a snap holy shit

this is the kind of bread I wish we made when I was working at this Vietnamese/French fusion bakery
>>
>>7278579
>>7278584
and i'd take any of that over fast food threads anyday
>>
>>7279171
Post your OC. We'll even let you have your very own thread!
>>
File: Fruit and Seed White Bread - 7.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit and Seed White Bread - 7.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7279189
A little closer on one of the loaves.

>>7279173
I miss Sceak.

>>7279194
Thanks.
>>
>>7279215
>I miss Sceak.
Shut it. Don't summon him.
>>
I've been going crazy with the bread lately.

Friday is pizza night, and has been for months here. For a while I just did pan pizzas, but I've moved on to New York style three weeks ago. I'm getting better but still having issues. I feel like I'm getting good at shaping, but the release is still giving me issues. I've made like, two non-amoeba football pizzas so far, and both required excessive amounts of flour to keep from sticking.

Just made some light rye bread for Reuben sandwiches the other day. I over proofed it a bit, but otherwise it was alright.

I'm finally getting around to restarting my levain tonight. It's been two years since I stopped baking much, and let my last mother die. But I love the stuff. Next time I make rye bread it'll be a proper wild yeast deli deal.
Now that I know a bit more about baking bread I'm going to try a favorite multi-grain bread again. Gonna be a 2 kilo miche made with wheat, whole wheat, spelt, light rye, oat flour. No oats on top because I don't like that.

This week I'm making challah. I'm going to use some to make a BLT because I enjoy irony in food, and I'm going to let the rest stale up for a few days to use for bread pudding.

Just ran out of bagels, so time to make some more. A sixth the cost from the store, twice as good. I've been thinking of experimenting with multi-grain bagels recently. Oats and spelt maybe?
>>
>>7278138
While I've heard great things about fibrament... steel, my brother. A baking steel. Incredibly, it's cheaper, though only by a little. 72USD for a quarter inch thick big square one. Even more heat capacity and conductivity. Blind comparisons have proven that the traditional preference for stone (often something related to its reradiation profile or porosity) are not based in fact.

>>7278077
>>7278074
>>7278052
>>7278100
>>7278109

I can corroborate that Cambro is quality. My first bread baking book recommended them by name. My sister works in a high volume kitchen and that's all thy use (because the other kinds management insisted on trying out all broke).
Plus polycarbonate usually needs fewer plasticizers than other types of plastic, so if you're worried about BPA and similar, it's good there too. Though I still prefer as much glass as possible in my kitchen.
>>
File: Fruit and Seed White Bread - 8.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit and Seed White Bread - 8.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7279215
Finally cooled. Here's a crumb shot.

>>7279330
Sounds good to me.

>>7279354
I actually have a very nice baking steel. A friend of mine manufactured a small run of baking steels laser-cut from 3/8" mild steel, then seasoned with flax oil. It does a really phenomenal job for pizza, but I find the immediate delivery of heat to the bottom of the bread to be too severe and too short-lived. I'm sure some more experience baking with it would help me work my way around that, but the FibraMent delivers a nice consistent blast of heat to the bottom of my loaves so that they don't wind up being scorched by the time the top is done.
>>
>>7279756
Looks great.
I'd consider putting Orange in it. A store near me uses currents and orange with pumpkin seeds on top. Very nice
>>
File: IMG_20160118_022125.jpg (802KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160118_022125.jpg
802KB, 2048x1152px
Sourdough Rolls last week.
>>
File: IMG_20160118_022150.jpg (737KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160118_022150.jpg
737KB, 2048x1152px
A loaf of rye this week.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.