[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are you bad at in the kitchen? I can't fry food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6KB, 276x183px
What are you bad at in the kitchen? I can't fry food
>>
>>7276133

I can't keep eggs from sticking in stainless steel pans.
>>
>>7276133
I'm lazy
>>
>>7276133
Rice
>>
>>7276133
hopefully you are the same guy whos fish fry looked like absolute shit.
>>
Using wine without drinking the rest of the bottle.
>>
I can't mix flavours together into a homogeneous taste
>>
I generally can't make anything taste good with less than 5 ingredients,

I can do wonders with cheap, poor people food, like non-choice cuts of meat, beans, rice etc. but give me a filet mignon, and I can't make a good steak to save my life.

It's like I was never meant to eat like a rich person.
>>
Bread or dough of any kind. I still haven't tried it yet.
Knife skills
'pretentious' plating - my eyes are bad, my hands are shaky and I need more practice
eastern food and drinks
>>
I hate it on those rare occasions a souffle doesn't rise properly. You know when it looks great out the oven but when presented to your guests it deflates a little. The fucking embarrasment!
>>
I suck at skydiving in the kitchen.
>>
Presentation.

I can make a damn good meal, but it usually looks better on the way out.
>>
bechamel (can never successfully add cheese after) and baking in general (always attempt too many shortcuts and say shit like "that should work")
>>
>>7276133
>What are you bad at in the kitchen? I can't fry food

I'm not "bad" at anything because I can following simple fucking instructions
>>
>>7276133
I have a habit of touching and checking things too much. I end up ruining everything
>>
making a caramel sauce, just can't seem to master it.
>>
Poaching eggs, way too compex senpai. Id rather just fry one.
>>
>>7276291
Robots and monkeys can follow simple instructions too.
>>
>>7276163
This
>>
>>7276163
I don't see that as a bad thing at all.
>>
>>7276337
I poach hundreds of eggs a week and this is what you need to do
capful of vinegar
crack on counter, but open as close to water as you can
water should have tiny bubbles, anything bigger will disrupt the whites
you can't get 100% of white to stay, just make sure the yolk is covered
the fire should be on for about 1:30 or so and then turn it off and wait :45
use a slotted spoon
smoked salmon (for eggs norwegian) is so much better than canadian bacon
add a pinch of mustard powder to your hollandaise
>>
>>7276163
That's what you're supposed to do.
>>
Honestly i suck at using an oven. Im above average with most things on the stove, but i cant bake well at all.
>>
File: F6ni0fO.gif (694KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
F6ni0fO.gif
694KB, 500x500px
>>7276432
This is me. Either I overmix or undermix or something else, plus my stupid gas-leaking oven sucks. I get better results with my SO's oven but my baked goods still end up sucking ass.
>>
>>7276382
That sounds pretty damn good. It feels like it should be enjoyed during the winter on a Norwegian coast.
>>
meat. i dont get why it's so intimidating to me.
>>
>>7276317
sounds like my sex life
>>
>>7278128
i snorted
>>
>>7276432
>>7276491
Another terrible baker checking in. I'm better at improvising and multitasking on the stove top. The precise and patient nature of baking just stumps me. I can make boxed mix crap easy enough I guess
>>
>>7278128
*rimshot*
>>
Stuffed varieties of pasta. They always explode on me.
>>
>>7278173
why not use less heat?
>>
File: bandito.jpg (8KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
bandito.jpg
8KB, 228x221px
>>7278128

I thought it was just me
>>
>>7276133
I'm pretty decent at everything except pancakes, can't flip them for my life, at the end they look like scrambled eggs with honey on them
>>
>>7276157
DONT FUCKING TOUCH IT, JUST LEAVE IT AS SOON AS ITS SIMMERING

DONT TOUCH THE LID, NO TOUCH

WHEN ITS DONE DONT FUCKING TOUCH IT FOR ANOTHER 10 MINUTES
>>
>>7276133
Two days ago, a fella in Detroit bit and stabbed someone for stirring his chili.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwismtSNtrHKAhUJ4yYKHQZnDZMQqQIIHTAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.detroitnews.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fdetroit-city%2F2016%2F01%2F15%2Fdetroit-chili-attack%2F78844160%2F&usg=AFQjCNEv7anQZukCdSykbEtYENu_4Hmlxg&bvm=bv.112064104,d.cWw
>>
>>7276135
Can that be done?
>>
>>7276135
>>7278911
use higher heat so the temperature doesn't drop when you add the eggs.

you can also get the pan really hot, then add a small amount of oil or clarified butter to make a temporary nonstick seasoning. just let the pan cool a bit and wipe out any excess fat first. after this use like you would normally and nothing should stick. i've made pancakes after doing this without adding more fat and they slid around effortlessly without sticking.
>>
Rice. It comes out too crispy or super soggy and gooey. Sometimes it's correct but not often and I can't figure it out.
>>
>>7276133

Baking. I mean, I've baked casseroles and such but I generally stay away from cakes, pies, and other such confections. It's not that I can't make those. I've done it before with only success. I just hate doing it because I'm very resentful of recipe cooking. I don't use written or precise recipes; I just don't. With baking, however, you really have to be more to the letter and it feels like a chore.
>>
>>7276133

making sauces or gravies

it just doesn't thicken the way it's supposed to and then the flour and liquids separate and I'm just smearing browned flour-butter mix on whatever I'm supposed to be pouring gravy or sauce on
>>
>>7278145
are you me? I always get shit by autists here and irl because I don't use exact recipes or measure exact amounts of ingredients when cooking. I just...cook like I feel I should
>>
Rice. Used to be really easy, I always used the same brand and cooked it in a covered pot, came out perfect every time. Then I got a rice cooker for christmas and it's been hell ever since trying to squeeze a decent batch of rice out of it. No matter what I do it ends up crispy and undercooked, I think it lets out too much steam or something. Pisses me off desu because instead of freeing up a burner when I'm cooking a large meal, this rice cooker is fucking up all my rice.
>>
>>7278957
it's okay to use recipes when you're first learning to cook which is probably why they get upset
>>
>>7276157
I use a rice cooker.

>Jasmin rice
>Clean the rice in water and drain, repeat a few times
>leave to soak in water for about 5-10min
>drain water and fill to correct amount
>turn on rice cooker and relax

Always gives me great rice, and I can add veggies on top in a steamer pan as well. I don't think I could ever go back to fucking around with a pot on the stove.
>>
>>7278267
I've stopped making those bastards. Not that flipping is the problem, but after the first pancake, which is always close to perfect, the next ones stick and burn. I know I should add more oil but I just hate the thought of adding so much fat. I resorted to baking them in a muffin pan once. They tasted alright with loads of syrup.
>>
>>7278938
Do you clean and soak the rice before cooking?
>>
>>7276133
I can't make my pizza round
>>
File: Cigar.jpg (12KB, 206x235px) Image search: [Google]
Cigar.jpg
12KB, 206x235px
>>7278128
>>
>>7276163
This except with Rum
>>
peeling shit, sometimes I even question why must I even do it.
>>
>>7280322
Most of the time you don't. There are a few vegetables, like onions, with inedible skin, but the majority of the time the most concentrated portion of a vegetable's nutrients are directly below the skin. You're probably missing out on them if you peel the skin off.

The only excuse is if you're worried about pesticides. I don't worry about that shit, and look at me now. Drinking cider and posting on 4chan like a champ.
>>
>>7276133
For some fucking odd reason, I cannot fry a potato for the life of me. I can make exquisite dinners, but when I try to make breakfast, my potatoes are either gummy (not fried enough) or burnt (too god damned fried). Odd, because I can fry pretty much everything else...
>>
salads... too lazy to mix n dress em properly and end up with assorted veggies with dip.
>>
Not making all my soups taste of mirepoix and salt
>>
>>7280377
maybe add less?
>>
>>7276133
I can't cook pancakes for the life of me and I don't know why. No matter what I do they turn out way too liquidy or they burn or something else horrible goes wrong.

Fuck pancakes, man.
>>
I've never taken the opportunity to cook a steak, but if I did, I'm sure I would fuck it up
which sucks because I haven't eaten steak in a long time and would really love to eat some
>>
>>7280429
Coming from someone who knows how to cook a steak, I even enjoy cheap diner steak n' eggs to the good ones I make at home. Something about being served and all... I want to make a dish I'm proud of, if I'm just putting ingredients on heat for sustenance I can make a fried egg on toast and be equally satisfied.
>>
>>7280338
I don't exactly worry about pesticides, but things like potatoes, which are bullshit to peel, need to be peeled in most cases.
>>
>>7278947
just add your liquid, be it stock or milk or wine or whatever, a bit at a time and whisk to incorporate. start with ~1/4 cup, do another quarter cup, add a half cup, add half of the rest, add the rest. no lumps!
>>
Consistency.

I'm too lazy to record my ingredient measurements and make recipes.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.