[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is gin good to drink by itself? No tonic water, no mixers, no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: gin.jpg (52KB, 873x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gin.jpg
52KB, 873x1200px
Is gin good to drink by itself? No tonic water, no mixers, no carbonated water - just gin. Is it good to drink? Also, any other good/decent brands besides Beefeater? Please don't recommend whiskey, as I won't touch the thing due to several reasons.

t.want to buy and drink something other than wine
>>
I'm curious about this as well because I want a way to get drunk that won't make me too fat
>>
Here's a crazy thought: Try it yourself.
But no, in my opinion even good gin is disgusting by itself, just like tequila.
>>
>Straight gin

Unless you're English or living in Orwell's 1984 I would advise against it. It's really a mixing spirit.
>>
>>7270806
If you drink it raw, it tastes pretty much like vodka. Vodka is better to drink in shots though. It is more pure
>>
Gin is typically very dry and feels like sand when drunk straight. Very few people would recommend it. Good for mixing cocktails, though.

Top widely avail brands: Bombay Sapphire, Beefeater, Tanqueray.
>>
st george distillery from california is putting out some great gin they have 3 different gins all focusing on different aspects of typical gin flavor

botanivore, terroir and rye gin

botanivore is my favorite and i do consider it drinkable straight, but i really like it with gin and tonic or even like a moscow mule subbed for vodka its really floral
>>
>>7270806

Do you like the taste of juniper? That's what it taste like
>>
>>7270865
>tastes pretty much like vodka

Couldn't have made a more retarded statement. Did your tongue get cut out of your mouth? Have you ever tasted ANYTHING?

Don't listen to this idiot, OP. Gin is WAY different than vodka. It is a neutral spirit tincture of primarily juniper berries (imparting a 'piney' taste) and other herbs and sometimes citrus.
>>
>>7270806
Tastes like Christmas I'd mix it with something personally senpai
>>
>>7270806
Just mix it with a splash of diet tonic. Zero calories and won't be disgusting.
>>
>>7270887
You sound like you need a drink pal
>>
>>7270895
ahaha! haha!
>>
>>7270891
>Diet tonic

Nigger regular tonic water barely has any calories wtf is wrong with you?
>>
>>7270858
>>7270866
>>7270887
So, would I be better of just purchasing vodka? Recommend a decent brand.
>>
>>7270806

Hendrix
>>
>>7270901
Vodka just gives me a pure stomach ache and doesn't get me drunk, Gin gives me the best drunk though
>>
What is the best ratio of gin to tonic? I always go 3 parts gin and 1 part tonic but my friend says that makes it too strong?
>>
File: rakija.jpg (9KB, 157x200px) Image search: [Google]
rakija.jpg
9KB, 157x200px
>>7270901
Well, not necessarily.

Look into some good Croatian or Serbian rakija. It's usually made from plums, has a mild fruit taste, still kinda harsh but can be drank straight. I like it cold.
>>
>>7270903
Gin by itself?
>>
>>7270901
No, I wasn't implying that. I personally love gin; it's almost all I buy. If you think you'd dislike any piney-ness, get New Amsterdam gin. Cheap, and really downplays the pine flavor in favor of citrus.
>>
>>7270923
I see. And you drink the gin straight?
>>
>>7270939
More precisely, I shoot it. I do enjoy the flavor though. I also drink IPAs, and I think appreciation of one goes hand in hand with ability to appreciate the other.
>>
>>7270812
the calories in alcohol are the main reason drinking makes you fat, not the stuff you mix it with

if you have a 2:1 mixture of 1l tonic water and 500ml gin the tonic water has 350 calories and the gin has 1300
>>
I think Gin is by far the worst tasting liquor. When I used to drink to get blackout drunk I would either drink rum or vodka with ice.

My sister only drinks white rum because she's a calorie counter.
>>
>>7270806
Plymouth is my favourite. It's best with a splash of Angostura Bitters, which I personally don't count as a mixer, but it's also pretty good without it if you do count bitters as a mixer.

Don't listen to the haters here. Gin is a great drink. The best spirit for sipping in hot weather. It carries sharper flavours than dark spirits, which perks the senses a little when the beating heat leaves you feeling lazy and indolent. Tequila is good for such weather as well, but I prefer gin as I feel it has more variety.
>>
>>7271020
>drinking 500 ml of gin by yourself in one sitting
>>
>>7270866
Martini is basically gin with water. It tasted okay to me.
>>
>>7270898
Regular tonic water has almost as much sugar as cola.
>>
>>7270905
Usually your pour 60 ml of gin in a taller glass (tumbler or highball) filled with ice. Then top off with tonic.
>>
>>7271542
Sounds like you're talking about chilled gin. Some people consider that a martini because le epic Churchill, but really you need to have at least a smidge of vermouth.
>>
>>7271560
But it's like less than 15% vermouth.
>>
You can drink it neat but if you buy cheap shit it'll be quite disgusting.

Just add some carbonated water & freshly squeezed lemon juice, makes a world of difference & no calories.
>>
When most Americunts have Martinis (using gin, not vodka or chocolate or whateverthefuck), it's just gin stirred in ice a bit. That whole "salute in the direction of France" is the most uncultured bullshit I have ever heard.

But yeah, most people prefer gin with no mixers.

It's not a real Martini though. Put some vermouth in that shit.
>>
>>7270887
gin is flavored vodka, they are extremely similar in both their production and usage. Look it up
>>
>>7271536
that was for demonstration
no matter how much you drink, unless you use way more tonic water than gin the gin will be the majority of the calories
>>
>>7271611
Yes, but the botanicals make it taste a way that vodka doesn't taste at all.
>>
>>7271614
It's correct. But there is no reason to add additional calories in the form of sugary drinks.
>>
gin is very similar to our national spirit and I find it good for sipping pure, I thought more people like it just like that
>>
>>7270806
A nice wintery/holiday mixture I concocted was
>2 part tanqueray
>1 part lemon juice
>cinnamon
>served over ice
The cinnamon isn't small enough for it to be a liquid sol, so it becomes more of a suspension if not often stirred, but it's sour, spicy and if you want you can add a little sweetener or simple syrup.
>>
>t.want to buy and drink something other than wine

stop
>>
Gin is supposed to be on it's own or only slightly mixed.. vodka is a mixing alcohol.

Anyone who says they prefer vodka to gin is a confirmed teenager / moron.
>>
>>7270806
>Beefeaters
>Good gin
Pick one. Get Plymouth, Old Tom, or Hendricks if you want to drink it straight.
>>
>>7271803
Use cinnamon sticks, add brown sugar and cloves, and heat with the lemon skin in the mix and that's basically the recipe for a pretty good hot punch.
>>
>>7270898
Yea no. If op is actually trying to lose weight every serving of tonic has about 100 calories. So if OP has 5 drinks he's drinking 500 calories, vs 0 with diet.
>>
File: 20160115_183746.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160115_183746.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>7270806
It's really not bad. Id say gin is my favorite liquor after whiskey. The amount that you see gone in this bottle were shots.
>>
>>7270858
>>7270858
>living in Orwell's 1984
um, we are m8y, wake up and love BB
>>
File: screamingandshaking.gif (112KB, 512x322px) Image search: [Google]
screamingandshaking.gif
112KB, 512x322px
Okay, so OP here.
I got some Beefeater gin today, and am sipping on it right now.

I really like the taste: the taste (and aroma) of pines and berries is a unique one, and I really like it, for some reason. I added just a very tiny amount of ice-cold mineral (carbonated) water, but I am very much enjoying the taste. It's - how to say? - very calming, because it tastes like the forest.
>>
File: hendricks-gin[1].jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
hendricks-gin[1].jpg
52KB, 500x500px
Hendricks. Best gin I've ever had straight and neat. Infused with rose and cucumber. One ice cube doesn't hurt either.
>>
Suppose I have only had Bombay Sapphire.

What gin should I try next if I want to taste something quite different? Should I try an established London dry gin?
>>
>>7273269
You're basically asking is it ok to drink Dry Martinis. Of course it is, just don't be cheap.
>>
>>7272977
where do you get 41% hendricks? at least in the US all I've seen is 44%

I'll admit that I haven't sampled that many types of gin but I will agree that hendricks is my favorite though. Great by itself or in cocktails; incredibly versatile.
>>
If you can't get over whatever your whiskey bias is, then I think nice rums are probably the most sippable spirit.
>>
>>7273342
Add a tablespoon of tap water to your drink. Wa La.
>>
>>7273403
I was just curious about any relevant local laws on the ABV of spirits m8
>>
>>7270898
Ive got no idea what im talking about: The Post
>>
Why would you drink gin that doesn't taste like gin?
>>
>>7270806
>>7272595
I recommend monkey 47 gin. imho it's even more foresty and does not resemble any other gin mentioned here.
>>
hendricks a best
but never gin without tonic for me
>>
File: boodlesginbottle.jpg (619KB, 2028x3476px) Image search: [Google]
boodlesginbottle.jpg
619KB, 2028x3476px
Boodles is best gin, served neat, for under $20
>>
just take a decent gin, put a bit of soda water and lemon or lime. boom delicious
>>
>>7273342
>>7273424
Australia. It's not because they're not allowed to have it higher, it's to reduce the tax they have to pay.

The same tactic totally ruined Russian Standard here. They reduced it to 37% a few years ago. Some "standard."
>>
When they say juniper flavours gin, to they mean the fruit or leaves?
>>
>>7275481
Berries.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.