[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it okay to just have tea without milk in England? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: tea.jpg (13KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
tea.jpg
13KB, 259x194px
Is it okay to just have tea without milk in England? I'm visiting and don't like milk or sugar in my tea, but I want the authentic experience, so I'm wondering if every english person takes it with milk.

Can you order a tea in a cafe or does everyone have it at home and only tourists who want to have tea because they are in England order tea out of the house? Oh I'm going to London, not staying with an english person (of course).
>>
>>7265059
>Is it okay to just have tea without milk in England?
Yes, you should drink your tea however you prefer it.

>>7265059
>Can you order a tea in a cafe
Yes.
>>
>>7265073

I know that I should have it how I prefer it but is that what English people do or is English tea always made with milk?
>>
>>7265081
It depends on how they prefer it. Some prefer to have it with milk, some don't.

There's no national rule that says that everyone must drink milk in their tea in England.
>>
>>7265081
I think you are reading too much into things. I don't think there is one true English way to prepare tea.
>>
Most have milk, sugar is optional. It does depend on what kind of tea. If you're talking the most common one, it'll be builders tea, so you want some milky sugar water. If you go earl grey or some other kind you don't need it.
>>
drink earl grey
>>
>>7265101
>>7265099

Okay well that's the answer I was looking for. I just think in virtually every television or film I have seen, they put milk in their tea and if you google english tea its almost universally with milk, so I didn't know if nobody did it. Also even the Orwell essay seems to assume you put milk in it.
>>
>>7265132
>>7265130

Isn't Earl Grey for women? I don't want any builders harassing me or people thinking I am gay. I can't stand sugar in hot drinks and really don't like milk in them either, but a nice cookie is great with coffee or tea.
>>
>>7265140
It's more a class thing. Working classes like it sugary and milky traditionally. Other kinds tend to be associated with middle and upper classes.
>>
>>7265144

Interesting. One other question: I understand that when you should add the milk is a debate, but this seems only applicable to when you make tea in a teapot. There is surely only one option for adding milk with tea made in a cup with tea bag right? That is to say adding the milk after the tea has been steeped and the teabag discarded. I wouldn't imagine you would want to steep the tea with a mixture of water and milk.
>>
>>7265140
>be me
>be britbong
>walking me poodle along the Old Kent Road sipping a brew
>suddenly a yankee doodle dandy appears sipping a cup of Earl Grey
>I hop on the dog and bone to my mate the builder
>OI DEAN SOME PONCE IS DRINKING EARL FUCKING GREY IN MY BOROUGH
>Dean turns up in the motor with Smithy Smithster and Wayne
>we kill the bender and throw his corpse in the river
>>
>>7265176

that's what I'm afraid of, english banter terrifies me. I can't even understand builders.
>>
>>7265157
After the teabag has been added, and NOT before it's removed. >At least that's how it's done around here.
>>
>>7265232
Fucked it, too much whiskey
>damn fucking arrows
>>
File: 1452701869579.jpg (15KB, 361x351px) Image search: [Google]
1452701869579.jpg
15KB, 361x351px
>>7265201
>I can't even understand builders.

Dont worry most brits dont speak polish either
>>
Fuck you lot Earl Grey is delicious, I drink it more than normal tea. That said, I very very rarely drink tea at all.
>>
>>7265232

weird I would think that's kind of gross. I think most americans add the milk after the teabag is steeped, and nobody uses a teapot.
>>
I steep it, remove tea bag, add one cube sugar and a dollop of milk and stir it slightly. It should be dark brown still and not a creamy light color or you added too much milk.
>>
>>7265059
>London
>English
>>
File: sJ1IYTE.gif (647KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
sJ1IYTE.gif
647KB, 500x289px
>>7265270
>>
>>7265316
Don't have to use a teapot, point is teabag comes out last.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.