[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm just getting into cooking and I need a proper knife.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

I'm just getting into cooking and I need a proper knife. Until now I've been using a £2 knife from Tesco.

I have no idea where to begin picking knives out. I'm a student on a student budget, so nothing expensive, I just want it to not be a chore to use. Any advice appreciated.
>>
Do you live with other students? Then don't bother. Wait until you have your own place, they will ruin your knives.
>>
>>7262009
We all have our own cupboards, I can put it in there. I can't keep using this £2 knife, it takes me 15 minutes to cut an onion and a red pepper.
>>
>>7262013
Have you considered sharpening it?
>>
>>7262013
i can cut an onion in 3 minutes with a rusty spoon my bud

you might not be ready for a big knife if ya cant sharpen and use your cheap knife lol
>>
8 inch victorinox chefs knife ~ $30
>>
>>7262022
Whatever. The fact of the matter is I have to use it as a saw just to cut onions and peppers. That's not fun at all.
>>
>>7262023
>8 inch victorinox chefs knife ~ $30
This.
>>
>>7262023
Thanks, that'll do.
>>
>>7262014
I thought sharp knives were illegal in bongistan.
>>
>>7262038
No, you just need to have a knife licence and never take it out of the kitchen or utilise it in the presence of others. Clearly you are an ignorant yank who does not even have a passport and such.
>>
>>7262023
>>7262035
Found a 19 cm victorinox chef's knife for £10 cheaper. I don't think that extra 1 cm is worth £10, or is there some other difference?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-19cm-Chefs-Knife-5200319W/dp/B00300S400/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t/278-0133689-8723436
>>
>>7262014
>sharpening
>instead of just honing
>>
>>7262036

If it has to be even cheaper, ICEL makes decent knives, mostly marketed at food services companies. Stamped ones are especially cheap (the Victorinox is also stamped) :

http://www.butchersequipment.co.uk/icel-20cm-cooks-knife

PS. get a knife steel while you are at it.
>>
>>7262131

The shape looks wrong, this is the one they were talking about :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Chefs-Knife-Extra-Broad/dp/B000IAZC4Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1452646860&sr=1-2&keywords=fibrox+knife
>>
Buy a J.A. Henckel's knife. Good quality fro entry level.
>>
Bought the Victorinox 20cm. Thanks guys, you can stop making suggestions now.
>>
seriously, sharpen it though. i have cheap knives for camping and they're razor sharp when i'm done. give em a 10 min pass on grindstones every other day and they'll be easy to use

don't get a knife because you wanna look big and cool, and especially don't get japanese steel for that reason

>japanese knives comparable but priced up bc muh thousand folded nippon knife
>paying extra so ppl won't laugh at you in professional kitchen
>buying it when you're not skilled enough and you're still laughed at

the pain
>>
>>7262139
Do you think it's still 2010? You're not going to get me with that shit quality bait.
>>
Also interested in this, got myself a cheap ass knife and a quality honing steel but it's not that sharp. As in cutting onions is a pain still. Any recs for a bongistani?
>>
>>7262188
Get a knife sharpener or a set of whetstones and sharpen it. A steel is for honing, it doesn't sharpen the blade once it gets dull.
>>
>>7262152
That is a good choice for getting started, get the same brand bread knife and a couple pairing knives and you will be about set. I would also get a chinese chef's knife, but that is just me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zwilling-Style-Chinese-Chefs-Stainless/dp/B007NYEEHG/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1452650652&sr=1-1&keywords=chinese+chef%27s+knife
>>
>>7262009
>knives sitting in a greasy sink
>steak knives rusted after 2 months
>cutting food with knives on top of a ceramic plate
>dried food bits stuck to knives
>>
>>7262724

I'd gift someone a wood cutting board just to not have to see/hear some glass/ceramic abomination.
>>
Figure I'd ask here rather than make a whole new thread, I am also in the market for my first good knife, but I'm not a poor student. Please advise.
>>
>tfw all the roommates I've had respected my wish to not use my cast iron skillet, stainless pan, carbon steel wok, or my knives
>tfw pretty decent (In that sense) uni roommates
>>
KIWI
I
W
I
>>
>>7262779

How can they be good if you aren't paying loads of money for them?
>>
>mfw I bought a meat cleaver from walmart + $1 chink wetstone from the asian market and use it for literally everything going on 3 years and never have any problem and plebs near me aren't single knife masters
>>
>>7262004
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IBU9FW/ref=psdc_409670_t1_B004A8NMEO

all you need, friendo
>>
File: guy-fieri-knife-set.jpg (41KB, 700x381px) Image search: [Google]
guy-fieri-knife-set.jpg
41KB, 700x381px
>Not meeming it up

Cu/ck/s, pls.

I actually own a couple of Victorinox knives but just get yourself a whetstone and you'll be set for knives. 1000/3000 grit for me (not a sashmi artist) and a $15 supermarket santoku is my go-to.
>>
>>7262792
They are nice and sharp when you buy them, they are also cheap and last a while.

So throw them away when they become shit and buy new ones

Especially for a student with others in the house
>>
i would say just learn how to sharpen a knife and save for a nicer one once you know exactly what you want
>>
File: IMG_3982.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3982.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>7262862
God damn those are the worst looking knives I've ever seen. Good find Anon.
>>
>>7263036
I need to get a Saya for my Maskage Yuki Gyuto.
>>
File: IMG_3703.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3703.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7263125
most good knife shops should be able to make them
>>
>>7263136
Mostly just money at this point.
>>
File: IMG_3647.jpg (826KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3647.jpg
826KB, 2448x2448px
mine only cost like 20 bucks a peice for the saya
>>
>>7262004
if you really want to get into it go with a carbon steel knife because stainless is a bitch to sharpen and it just cant hold the edge like a carbon steel can, and it gets your more in to the routine of taking good care of your knives
>>
>>7263151
>Be left handed
>Can never find glorious Nippon lefty chisel ground naifus
>See this beautiful display
>>
>>7263172
my shop sells tons of all types
http://www.water.sannet.ne.jp/kikuhide/
its all in japanese but you might be able to make something work
they do also make custom order knives
>>
>>7263172
no promises because i just go in person and have never really looked at their site
>>
Just goto marshals and pick up at $50 knife for like $25. you won't need to worry about sharpening it again for 6 months-year. Then learn to sharpen metal or buy a new one, faggot.
>>
>>7262188
You can't sharpen a blade with no edge
You need a wetston, also just get a Sharpe er if you don't understand what a steel is for you don't know how to use one
Cheap sharpener > using a steel without the knowledge
>>
>>7262155
Henkels are all name no quality. Buy wusthof, shit will last you a life time.
>>
>>7262779
Glad to see someone else likes these here. I've been using their 8 inch chef's recently, and it's pretty darn good. Previously used one of their little cleavers at work, and that thing was a monster.
>>
>>7263571
The cleavers will wreck your food, and fingers. Do not use after consuming alcohol.

Good little knives for what they cost and sure, they're a cheap build and not something a professional full time chef would use on a daily basis but they are brilliant for home use.
>>
File: 61sYxdrrAnL._SL1500_.jpg (79KB, 1500x1499px) Image search: [Google]
61sYxdrrAnL._SL1500_.jpg
79KB, 1500x1499px
i just bought a victorinox knife and a sharpener.

i used the sharpener on my old knifes but i am not really satisfied with the sharpness. i am afraid to use it on my victorinox.

is this any good?
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00Y84LH6A?ref_=pe_386171_51767411_TE_dp_4
>>
Need a new paring knife, and gonna go with a standard Victorinox or Wüsthof.
While at the knife shop, I'm probably gonna look at some santokus - I want to replace my old 8" chef knife, and because I still have a 10" I wanna try a santoku.
I've no clue about nip knives.
Are any specific brands /ck/ approved?
>>
>>7263594
If you actually care about your knives, buy a whetstone. There are good and cheap combo stones on amazon, you don't need a J8000 at first.
If you actually care about the sharpness of your knives, J8000 and leather with chrome oxide paste.

Learning/acquiring a new skill should me motivation enough.
>>
>>7262004
Don't bother buying anything decent like a Damascus steel knife until you have had plenty of experience with cheaper knifes including sharpening them.
Damascus steel is the best for a reason but they are DEFINATELY not a knife for novices. That being said I own six types of Damascus steel knifes and they are DEFINATELY the best knife you can buy.
Because the properties of Damascus steel include being folded over one thousand times as well as using different types of steel you get the best of both worlds and they never need sharpening with a stone (which takes a very long time as you might know) you can just use a roller disc sharpener once every few weeks.
>>
>>7262139
Honing knifes is a meme
>>
>>7263151
I wanted to tell you exactly what that Chinese characters are: It says "Manufacture Mongolia"
I have a knife like that too. A bit brittle, but WOW does it hold an edge....

Never ever ever cut on anything other than wood or plastic. Dont do it. Never.
>>
This is the cheapest Knife which is any good.
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002B9P62U?keywords=sushi%20messer&qid=1452685221&ref_=sr_1_66&sr=8-66
>>
>>7262744
What's wrong with plastic resin?
>>
>>7262004

tojiro dp. i know its a meme, but i am a chef and its my go-to knife for most chopping jobs.
>>
File: kiwiset-0313-1l.jpg (207KB, 1200x940px) Image search: [Google]
kiwiset-0313-1l.jpg
207KB, 1200x940px
>>7262779

Came here to post this.
Do you live anywhere near Asian general stores? They will probably have them. I've got two Kiwis and they are great. They come quite sharp (often arm hair cutting depending how they are stored/ shipped) and wont cost more than $5 for their chunkiest knife, except for maybe their cleaver.
>>
>>7263755
I have the top 3 in that pic. I'm not OP, just suggesting that kiwi would be a great place to start for a student on a budget.

My waifu is Asian and we frequent plenty of those stores for supplies.avi so no issue getting them around here.
>>
>>7262004
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-chefs-knife-for-most-cooks/
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-paring-knife/

even if you don't get the recommendations read how they reach the conclusions, it's a good primer on what makes a good knife good
>>
>>7263755
I have a Kiwi Brand Cleaver. I'll vouch for it. It's been a work horse.

While you're there, get a good cutting board. I have one I got at an Asian store that I swear is a cross section of telephone pole. It's great when I'm chopping through bone.
>>
what about ceramic knives guys, are they any good?
>>
>>7263871
They're okay for what they are meant for. Use them to cut lettuce or anything else prone to oxidation. Be careful, they chip. And that can end up in your food. Steel will always be your workhorse. Anything else is a gimmick.
>>
>>7263603

The Damascus steel is just decoration. It's just important that the sidewalls are softer than the cutting edge, the folding to put patterns in doesn't help or hurt.

>>7263719

I find plastic cutting boards to get grungy faster, I prefer 5$ bamboo cutting boards.

>>7263759

I wish they test the knives twice, from factory and after putting a standard edge geometry on it. A lot of their tests were purely a test of the edge geometry, a Tojiro chisel edge knife would have been bottom of the barrel according to them.

Anyone have opinion on sharpening systems? I want to get an Apex clone and a 10K grit stone to microbevel (not interested in stropping).
>>
>>7264327
>Anyone have opinion on sharpening systems?

Silly overcomplicated crap for gearfags.

I don't see the point, really. It's not difficult to get a proper edge using just a stone. If you feel uncomfortable with that then buy a cheap beater knife or two and practice.
>>
>>7263603
Please be bait.
>>
>>7263603
>DEFINATELY
>DEFINATELY

Well, at least you didn't say DEFIANTLY. Opinion still discarded though.
>>
>>7264327
I've got a real apex

It's good for big curved knives that would be a pain in the ass with a stone

I don't bother with my smaller knives, a stone is faster. I wasn't expecting that when I bought it, I figured it would replace freehanding except with the Japanese single bevel knives.

But it's still nice, 9/10 would buy again
>>
>>7264355

Large stones are expensive and I'm 100% certain I won't be putting a consistent microbevel on a knife with a significant curve free handing on a stone (rotating belt grinder maybe, easier to maintain the angles).

So then the question becomes, how useful is a microbevel?
>>
>>7264441
>Large stones are expensive

Sure, but many of those sharpening systems are just as expensive if not more expensive than a reasonable set of stones.
>>
>>7264327
>The Damascus steel is just decoration.
This is mostly true, but some of them can help a little with small foods sticking to the flats of the knife.
>>
>>7264495

What? Damascus knives are smooth like any other knife. Are you perhaps confusing Damascus with those dimples on the side of some knives?
>>
>>7264502
Yeah, they're smooth. Most Damascus knives are just regular steel with acid etched patterns, but I'm talking about when they're actually made of composite materials, like high HRC carbon steel with soft iron layered in, for example.
>>
>>7264538

What you describe is also smooth. It has no effect on anything sticking to the blade.
>>
>>7262004
Just buy a cheap set for $20 and an equally cheap sharpener to get them into decent shape.
>>
File: squid.png (506KB, 898x893px) Image search: [Google]
squid.png
506KB, 898x893px
>>7263755
>wooden handles
>>
>>7264457
The system has a higher cost of entry but you can get most popular stones cut to fit the system, so adding a chosera 8k or something adds $45 instead of $120 (I'm making these numbers up but you get the idea)
>>
>>7262004
Wustof all day brotha
>>
>>7263514
This guy
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.