[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Might go the Austin this summer so is Franklins bbq worth the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

File: DSC_8825.jpg (189KB, 1021x680px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8825.jpg
189KB, 1021x680px
Might go the Austin this summer so is Franklins bbq worth the 3 hour wait or are there other places in Austin to check out?

Keep in mind I dont care about the "experience" I just want really really good bbq.
>>
>>7259912
Yeah, but I recommending skipping that bread bullshit. Burnt ends are a must.
>>
Had it catered: overrated imo
>>
>>7259920
Oh wait no had Lambert's catered, got brisket from Franklin's; probably the best bbq you'll ever have, but it's not in the stratosphere or anything
>>
>>7259912
That looks boring btw. What is with that sad excuse for bread/toppings?
>>
Go to La Barbecue. Better BBQ, shorter lines, and free beer on Saturdays.
>>
>>7259917
Ive heard good things non stop on the burnt ends. Are the ribs/sausages worth trying? Sides?
>>
>>7259971
Everything there is excellent but the burnt ends stand out. Order for your taste.
>>
>>7259965
what stood out to you at La Barbecue
>>
Austin-fag here. Franklins is the most famous, got a show on pbs, and the prez hit it up, but if you just want good BBQ without caring about tourist destinations , hit up La BBQ.

I've only been here for a year or so, so I haven't checked out too many BBQ places yet. But La BBQ is amazing. IMO, La's brisket is way better than Franklins, but Franklin's had slightly better ribs.

And the line's just like an hour.
>>
>>7259971
They don't make their sausages in-house. The ribs are pretty good. Brisket is the reason you go though, consistently perfect and juicy.

Sides are standard. I'd skip them if you've had them before.

Also consider Micklethwaite's down the road, they have beef ribs, they make their own bread, have specialty sausages made in-house, and quality sides. Their buttermilk pie is great.
>>
>>7259993
I'm this guy >>7260003
>what stood out at La?
Brisket. Franklins brisket is top notch, but La's just had better flavor. Fuck now I want some.

>>7259974
Wtf u can order burnt ends?

>>7260004
Franklin's sausages are kinda lame. I don't hold it against them though, people don't usually go to franklins for sausages
>>
File: 1399487045042.jpg (48KB, 321x326px) Image search: [Google]
1399487045042.jpg
48KB, 321x326px
>>7259912

Is there a special word or name for a bigass pile of bbq meat like that? Because fuck if that doesn't look good.
>>
>>7260035
That's called a light snack in Texas.
>>
Austin fag here as well. Our company's go-to BBQ is Rudy's (north Austin) which I personally think is great, but I'm not from Texas. Can anyone weigh in on if this place is good compared to what all is out there in Austin?
>>
>>7259912
Go to Black's
>>
>>7259912
>this summer
stop shilling franklin Jr.
>>
>>7260074
FWIW I don't eat BBQ all that much, but Rudy's is OK in my opinion but their sides suck. Pok e joe's is the better option and they have tons of good sides, plus they also have a spicy sauce in addition to the regular. Recently tried terry black's and thought the brisket was amazing, bit more expensive though.
>>
>>7260040
No thats an appetizer
>>
>>7260074
I'm from Dallas. We have Rudy's now and it's some of the best. The only better places might be small joints like Mac's or Records.
>>
>>7259912

Just drive to Lockhart.
>>
File: isthisbait.png (6KB, 432x401px) Image search: [Google]
isthisbait.png
6KB, 432x401px
>>7260074
>>7260155
>>7260218
>Rudy’s

dude, NO.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Rudy’s is “okay” bbq. Of course your company would go there, there’s no waiting and they have that restaurant everywhere. it’s like the McDonalds of bbq, the zubat of bbq. it doesnt compare to the legendary shiny BBQ restaurants we have here.

>>7260114
>>7260439
>Blacks

everyone who’s been there says they love it, but i found it kind of dry. maybe i ordered the wrong thing? (beef rib). guess ill have to hit it up again sometime.
>>
>>7259912
Fort Worth fag here. Drove down to Austin just to go to Franklin's. It's worth the wait. Hands down the best BBQ in Texas. If you don't want to brave the line, though, there's tons of other places in Austin that'll fill your craving. The most underrated (and therefore rarely crowded) is Stiles Switch. Get some of their potato salad, thank me later.
>>
>>7259960
Good barbecue does not need toppings of any kind. Sparing usage of sauce of your choice is ok. But you don't ruin a hunk of meat that spent numerous hours in a smoker by dousing it in all kinds of bullshit.

>>7260074
>>7260852
Rudy's is my go to BBQ since it's right down the street. But yeah, it's merely "all right". Their brisket is super inconsistent in quality, sometimes it's good and others it's just complete crap. If I want to put the hours into smoking some meat, I can consistently make way better BBQ. The nirvana of a perfectly 'cued piece of meat that practically melts in your mouth is just not something you really find at Rudy's.
>>
>>7259912
What's with the sad ass grocery store bread? Pointless
>>
>>7260914
The Vegetarian option
>>
>>7260074
>Austin fag here as well. Our company's go-to BBQ is Rudy's (north Austin)

No, import faggot.

Rudy's is like the "McDonalds" of BBQ.
>>
>>7260439
This guy gets it.
Hit Smitty's and/or Blacks
>>
>>7260003
>La Barbecue

Shit, I've been here for nearly 3 years and haven't heard of this shit. I'm a shut-in autist, though.
>>
>>7260902
Seconding this. It's pretty good.
>>
>>7259912
no food is worth a three hour wait
>>
Also I should probably mention:

Since Franklin’s has become famous for tourists, if you wait in line there you’ll come across a bunch of people and make small-talk if you’re not totally spergy. There was a time last year where i was unemployed for about a month. I would hit up Franklins often. I came across people from Taiwan, Los Angeles, a BBQ restaurant owner in the silicon valley, Ireland, Australia, and some drunk old bitch from Utah.
>>
>>7260945
No. Spring Creek is the McDonalds of bbq.
>>
Anyone know where a good BBQ is in Melbourne?
>>
>>7261537
Magic's at 102/1 Queens Rd.
>>
>>7261537
Down Under? Or USA?
>>
>>7260004

Heard from good things about Micklethwaite's too so that will be another destination.

Shame about the sides at Franklins though. Im going mostly for the meats but good sides are always a plus

Other places with top notch sides guys?
>>
>>7260035
It's called a platter.
>>
>>7259912
Most Southerners (including myself) consider Austin to be a shithole, and I'm not surprised that it's become such a huge destination for the redditor types. Austin is what would happen if a Minecraft server suddenly became a real place. The entire city is one large, festering turd of a tribute to internet and gaming culture.

The food trucks are memes, the restaurants are memes, everything is memes. It's fucking memes all the way down, man. Not even kidding. A lot of that stuff even makes it to the front page of reddit from time to time. You'll see memes like "y u do dis" on chalkboards outside restaurants. References to PC mustard rice. Occasionally some idiot takes a picture and posts it to reddit because "oh my god, I found a member of our secret internet club." But then you walk down the street, and you see the same god damn thing repeated a hundred times.

It's really fucking embarrassing. Just fucking Google an image of the owner of Franklin. The dude is memes incarnate.
>>
>>7262256
Name a place with better brisket then.
>>
>>7262360
There's more to barbecue than shitty beef. Pork is king. Just another reason to steer clear from the "Austin brisket belt" or whatever they're calling it these days.
>>
>>7262366
I kind of got that vibe from soe of the travel shows that have Austin episodes but I didnt know it was that bad. Im willing to deal with the hipsters if it means good bbq/food but is ALL of Austin like that or just where the food truck are?

And is there any good pulled pork anywhere? because I have yet to be impressed by anyone's pulled pork so far
>>
File: thenewmememaster.jpg (50KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
thenewmememaster.jpg
50KB, 500x334px
How memish is the owner
>>
>>7259912
>is Franklins bbq worth the 3 hour wait

Absolutely not.

Franklin's is so popular because some hipster writer showed up not knowing a damn thing about BBQ and did an article on his place. Most of the people that eat there don't know shit about BBQ, as Austin is filled with out of state faggots that wouldn't know decent BBQ if it hit them in the head.

Franklin's is just like every other brisket place in that they have their good days and their bad days. They're better than most chains, sure, but not worth standing in a line for 3 hours.
>>
>>7262256
>Most Southerners (including myself) consider Austin to be a shithole

This is true.

Austin is what happens when you allow California-type faggots to infiltrate and corrupt your urban areas.

The place should be nuked from orbit.
>>
>>7262360
Johnny T's.

Better ribs, too.
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 625x791px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 625x791px
>>7262495
Jareds evil bearded twin!! Hide your kids!!
>>
>>7262495
>neckbeard
>horn-rimmed glasses
>shoes without socks
>m'oldy smokers

a perfect 5/7

(like that new meme i just sliced you with?)
>>
>>7262516
Pretty much this. I live in Austin and I've had Franklin's a few times. It was decent brisket but I wouldn't say it was fucking amazing or anything.

There are plenty of good BBQ places around Austin though. Off the top of my head, Terry Blacks, Salt Lick, County Line, Rudy's, Smoky Mo's, Stiles Switch, Micklethwait are all pretty solid.

It's also worth a trip out to Lockhart to get Black's, Kreuz or Smitty's. Louie Mueller's out in Taylor is very good too.

There's a ton of other smaller places too, all of which you can get to eat without standing in line on the street like a fucking dipshit for three hours.
>>
>>7259912
Did someone said AUSTIN, TEXAS?
http://www.chocolatesuze.com/2016/01/10/austin-texas-2015-part-2
>>
>>7259912
Drive 30 minutes to Lockhart for superior BBQ and no hipster shit.
>>
>>7262495
Just another reason why KC > Austin.

Have a gander at the sanctified Mr. Arthur Bryant over yonder.
>>
>>7262556
Gus's is a regional chain and not a particularly good one. Stopped reading there.
>>
>>7262576
>niggers
>>
>>7262584
>eating any kind of American BBQ, ever.

You realize all American BBQ is mostly slave food?
>>
>>7262615
we wuuuz kaaangs
>>
>>7262615
>we wuz cowboiss an sheeit
>>
>>7262615
And look at all the basketball Americans it has produced. Ohh lawd it miracle food
>>
franklin is quite a wait. It is top tier though, the brisket is insanely consistent. However I don't think anything is really worth that sort of wait.

Other places considered top tier, some more popular than others
LA BBQ
J. Muller Meat Company
Micklethwaite craft meats
Valentina's
Freedmen's
Kerlin BBQ
Stiles Switch
Brown's

Worth day trips to hit the big 3 in lockhart (smitty's, kruez, blacks). Blacks I think has the most consistent brisket. Smitty's has best ambience. Be sure to try the sausage. Lockhart does a faster cook on their brisket, which yields great bark, but can be inconsistent, particularly on the flat part of the brisket.

Louie Mueller in Taylor

Snows in Lexington
Idiots will tell you to go to
Salt lick, county line.
In particular, if somebody tells you to county line, punch them in the fucking mouth.

Salt lick is more ambience then food, I will say it's a fun place to bring a lot of people due to BYOB and all you can eat. It's not bad by any means, it's just nowhere near the best, particularly in the brisket department.
>>
>>7259912
STUBBS BBQ
it's the second best barbecue you'll get in Austin, but the wait can be really ridiculous too. iirc they take reservations.

they also have a lot of live music at the venue in the back which of course you can hear inside. you might make your reservation on a day when a band you like is playing out back.

of course I must recommend Rudy's if you've never had Rudy's before. it's a chain only in the southwest. their brisket is amazing and their creamed corn is to DIE for. I'd go as far as to say their brisket trumps all briskets I've ever had.
>>
>>7262709
0/10
>>
Remember when the "harlem shake" caught on in popularity? Then it overstayed its welcome? Then like a month would go by, and it'd pop back up again and you'd think, "Fuck, I can't believe people are still forcing this shit. Let it die already."? Yeah, remember that?

That's exactly how it feels to go to Austin.
>>
>>7262716
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev-FKkfPexc

Harlem Shake: 2016 Edition!

It's still funny guys! Right guys?! Guys...?
>>
>>7262571
>Drive 30 minutes to Lockhart for superior BBQ and no hipster shit.

This.
>>
>>7262576
I'll stick with the Mezkins and south of the border types, rather than the ghetto thug zombies patrolling KC, thank you.

>>7262615
>foreigner thinks he knows anything about U.S. BBQ

Well bless your heart...
>>
>>7259912
Go to Coopers BBQ in Llano. Fucking amazing! The brisket literally melts in your mouth. The also have the best bbq chicken. Tender, juicy, smokey, fucking season to perfection. They even have goat(cabrito) but it's always sold out by the time I get there. :(
>>
>>7260439
This.
>>
>>7259917

I think that Burnt Ends are a Kansas City thing. I've never heard anyone talking about them in Texas barbecue.
>>
>>7260074

I've never had a meal at Rudy's that wasn't disappointing. I can't understand how anyone would like their crap. I haven't been to the one in Austin, but I figure that being a chain, it's should be about the same at any of them.
>>
>>7265433
I used to live in Boerne, Texas, and we would eat at the original location in Leon springs. It was good, but not great. They advertise that they have "the worst BBQ in Texas."
>>
>>7265433
I've pretty much always had it at the Round Rock location since it's the closest location to where I live and work. It's always been pretty decent, nothing I would ever call amazing or the best bbq on the face of the earth of course, but still solid for bbq from a store with an attached gas station.

If I want really good BBQ I take a drive out to Lockhart or Taylor or sometimes down to Driftwood.or I just make it myself.
>>
Brisket wise whos got the best flavor? Tenderness is all well and good but I love a good smoke flavor though the entire piece of meat. And the best pork ribs too since I go for those more than beef ribs.
>>
It's all about the bark.

I'm in commiefornia now and it breaks my heart that I used to get good bbq from gas stations in texas.
>>
>>7260074
Franklin or Blacks. Rudy's is a piece of fucking shit.
>>
>>7265467
>used to live in Boerne, Texas

holy shit, same here. side note- Boerne finally got a place that does pour-over coffee, too bad its shitty Merit coffee.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.