[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do they call it black forest ham? Does the ham come from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: black forest.jpg (97KB, 799x534px) Image search: [Google]
black forest.jpg
97KB, 799x534px
Why do they call it black forest ham?

Does the ham come from pigs found and slaughtered in the black forest of Germany?
>>
They call it that because of Google.com you fucking retard
>>
>>7257723
I want to eat that meal as is. No fancy sides, no gimmicky appetizers.

Straight meat, bread loaf and grapes. I love doing that every so often and feeling like a fucking king
>>
>>7257723

I actually know this because I saw a documentary on it recently. Also I'm German.

So this is how it works:

What it used to mean is that the ham was produced in the Schwarzwald. The pigs were from there, it was made there and it was sold there.

Nowadays it is very different. Regulations are still strict so companies are finding ways around it.

This might sound insane, but you can literally buy fucking smoke from Schwarzwald wood (no joke), use it to smoke your ham (in the US, for example) and certify it as Schwarzwald Schinken.

That's how far we've come. People love names and "authenticity".

There you have it.

Absolutely no connection to the actual Black Forest aside form some arbitrary smoke.
>>
>>7257740
>This might sound insane, but you can literally buy fucking smoke from Schwarzwald wood (no joke), use it to smoke your ham (in the US, for example) and certify it as Schwarzwald Schinken.
That's because in the US the food industry hates regional regulation of food production, so they insist regional names are styles of food, not food linked to a particular region. This is why we have California "Champagne" and "Burgundy", along with domestic Swiss and Parmesan cheeses. It's bullshit, but it's been this way for a long time.
>>
>>7257764
PDO's are one of the things that the EU have (kind of) got right.
>>
>>7257785
It's insanely hard to get a PDO though.
>>
Worst cured meat ever. Always dry and tough.
>>
>>7257789
Yeah that's one of the parts of the "kind of" bit where I think they've gotten it wrong.
>>
>>7257789
It ought to be. There's no reason to protect a regional food product's name unless it's legitimately tied to the specific culture of a place.
>>
File: d8bea906d82db05e988b4028129e4f14.jpg (891KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
d8bea906d82db05e988b4028129e4f14.jpg
891KB, 3264x2448px
>>7257739
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.