[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I make rice like they do in sushi joints? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 1

File: bowl-of-rice1.jpg (94KB, 600x515px) Image search: [Google]
bowl-of-rice1.jpg
94KB, 600x515px
How the fuck do I make rice like they do in sushi joints?

I'm talking normal bowls of rice.

I know I should be using jasmine rice, but it always comes out either too sticky or undercooked.

How do I cook it like a nip?

I'm using a 1.5:1 cup ratio of water to washed rice with a pinch of salt in the rice cooker but fuck me this ain't how it tastes in the restaraunts

Pic related is how it should look, instead I'm getting almost mochi tier rice
>>
>salt

Who told you to do this, anon?

And ate you soaking the rice before you cook it? Rice should be soaked overnight with about 2/3in of water covering it. It'll absorb this, and then you cook it under about an inch of water.

My measurements are rough as shit because I use my hand to measure these in the restaurant.
>>
>>7257176
less water
>>
Don't use jasmine. Get extra long grain. Cook in rice cooker.
>>
You should not be using Jasmine rice.
You should be using japonica rice.
Wash it two or three times, then put it in the rice cooker with slightly more water than rice (about 1.2:1 ratio).
If you want the sushi rice vinegar seasoning then for 1 cup uncooked rice you want 4 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tbsp sugar and 0.5 tsp salt. Gently heat and stir until everything is dissolved, then allow to cool before gently folding it in to your cooked rice.
>>
>>7257176
Don't listen to this faggot, he knows nothing.
>>7257190

Use a medium grain sushi rice. I'd suggest Nishiki brand.

If you have doubts, check this article:
http://www.finecooking.com/articles/guide-to-rice.aspx
>>
>>7257176
>I know I should be using jasmine rice,

Nope. Jasmine rice is Thai. Japanese rice is short-grain.

>>7257213
This.
>>
>>7257186

>Who told you to do this, anon?

Everywhere I looked I was told to throw in a pinch of salt

>And ate you soaking the rice before you cook it?

I normally just rinse the rice, never heard of soaking rice. I'll give this a try later on

>>7257190
>>7257213
>>7257216
>>7257220

Thanks, will take a trip to the grocery store later today
>>
>>7257216
Nishiki is fine as long as you're not bothered about having the authentic weeaboo grorious nipponese experience. Also you don't have to wash it before you cook it.
>>
Short grain rice (get at your local Asian store, I like koshihikari).
Rinse a few times until water is almost clear.
Put 1 part rice, 1.1 parts water in a pot. Preferably with a heavy lid.
Put covered pot on stove top. Heat to boiling.
Once boiling, turn heat down to warm. You may need to remove from heat temporarily to avoid boiling over.
Steam 11-12 minutes.
Open pot, stir/fluff gently. Partially cover and wait 5 mins.
Eat.

Source: Japanese mother-in-law.
>>
>>7257241
Yeah. I recommended it for availability and ease for an entry level cook. That and I don't support Autistic Weebs. If you want to bea weeb, fine, but ease into it. Get the basics right, then spend precious figurine money on sourcing the absolute most authentic ingredients.
>>
>>7257241
>>7257254

What are some good entry-level jap dishes besides rice and curry?
>>
>>7257287
Well, if you can make Japanese rice per >>7257213 then sushi maki and oniggery are trivially easy. If weeb authenticity isn't a concern and sushi-grade fish isn't easy to come by then smoked salmon is a good filling. Plus if you either fuck up rolling it or just plain can't be bothered you can layer the rice in a bowl with the filling ingredients (e.g. salmon, cucumber, julienned carrots), shred some seaweed in there and sprinkle some sesame seeds over the top.

Donburi is another simple rice dish with chicken and egg, though you will need to go out and buy sake, mirin and dashi to do it properly.
>>
>>7257186
Never, ever do this unless you want severe food poisoning. Ever heard of Bacillus cereus? Please let us know what restaurant you work at so we can avoid it.
>>
>>7257357

How would the bacteria, even if it were present, survive the cooking process?
>>
>>7257365
The bacteria wouldn't but any toxins they have shat out while soaking may not be denatured by the cooking process. No idea whether this applies to rice though, as I'm not autistic enough to soak mine overnight.
>>
>>7257213
Made sushi using this before, dumb question but should I also use this when making onigiri?
>>
>>7257370
>soaking rice overnight makes you autistic
saying things like this makes you sound ignorant, i'd recommend not doing it
>>
>>7257370

Do you know of any heat-resistant toxins that particular bacteria produces or are you just fear-mongering? It is true that some bacteria do produce heat-resistant toxins but that is very rare. Is Bacillus Cereus one of those?
>>
>>7257375

Generally, onigiri is made with plain rice, not the vinegared sushi rice. It's a way of using up the leftover rice from the family meal.
>>
>>7257384
Thanks anon, just got a rice cooker and I have a shit ton of rice so I'm looking for good lunch ideas.
>>
>>7257365
After four hours at room temperature in contact with water, the bacteria will have multiplied and created enough toxins to make you throw up. Leaving it overnight will make it far worse.
The toxins can survive 120C/250F for 90 minutes so there is no way of saving the rice at this point.
>>
>>7257383
>Bacillus cereus
I've already said I have no idea. All I know is that if raw meat has gone truly rancid, you're still going to get ill if you cook it and then eat it and that's because of toxins produced by bacteria rather than the bacteria itself.

>>7257382
It requires a degree of planning and forethought I generally don't have on a weeknight, therefore clearly it must be autistic. I have the same problem with dried beans, but at least I can make a huge batch of them when I remember and freeze them down.
>>
>>7257370
>>7257383
See
>>7257388
It is a particularly large problem with rice because both the spores and toxins survive boiling so cooked rice left out for four hours at room temperature will also likely contain toxins that you can't kill by reheating.
>>
>>7257388
Anon your average bacteria won't cause sickness, nor does it excel at room temp or in a culture of rice more so than other carb bases foods. And it certainly won't make you hurl after 4 hours. Did an experiment with bacteria cultures and buttered popcorn at various temps over a week, didn't make me hurl even then.
>>
>>7257400
It's part of the basic hygiene course anyone handling food professionally has to take in most civilised countries. It's mentioned on many government websites.
Your moronic experiment is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>7257388
>bacteria will have multiplied and created enough toxins to make you throw up

Will they?
Please show me a growth chart for this particular bacteria. Also name the specific toxins that this bacteria produces.
>>
>>7257398
>gone truly rancid

Rancidity is the process of fat oxidization. It has nothing to do with "toxins".

You throw around these words yet you have little idea of what they mean....
>>
>>7257400
>"I did an amateur experiment with a different foodstuff and different bacteria and concluded that all bacteria in food is harmless"
>>
>>7257415
its also informally used as a synonym for rotten you dicklicking sperglord
>>
>>7257410
Woah my friend no need to get upset, I wasn't attacking you. Just giving my input of info on bacteria cultures I did during my microbiology studies in college. Not saying it's ideal to eat that food, but it's not as bad as you say
>>
You can use calrose rice.

>wash, drain water, 3 times
>soak for 20 mins, drain well otherwise you're fucking up the next step
>2 cups rice, 2.5 cups water

If it's too soft, just use less water next time.

>>7257357
You're a germaphobe. Obv you wouldn't be leaving this in room temperature. Overnight. Go back to culinary school.
>>
>>7257422

The whole point is to skip discussing this "informally" or generally and to find out is THAT SPECIFIC BACTERIA dangerous or not.
>>
>>7257413
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cereulide
http://textbookofbacteriology.net/B.cereus.html
https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/publications/Documents/Bacillus%20cereus.pdf
The four hours can obviously vary a lot depending on temperature, salinity, level of contamination, etc. It is the standard time frame provided by food hygiene literature and instructors.
>>
>>7257439
Then perhaps instead of correcting someone using technically incorrect terminology even though the meaning was clear while you furiously masturbate yourself to orgasm and silently curse the fact that the discussion isn't taking place on Reddit so you could earn some karma for your autistic pedantry, you could have googled the answer to your question which is apparently that it's fine to soak the rice overnight but that you should put a bit of lemon juice or other acid in the soaking water.
>>
>>7257176
You know a diet based on rice is why most Asians didn't evolve like Westerners?
>>
>use basmati
>don't wash rice
>go for a 2:1 water to rice ratio
>use salt
>wait for water to be boiling before adding rice
>when water+rice is bubbling turn off heat
>wait 30 mins
ez
>>
>>7257213
Nigga you just said rice like 8 times
>>
>>7257434
Except that is exactly what is done by a staggering number of people, even in the industry.
Uncooked rice is soaked in an unrefrigerated tub overnight and cooked rice sits out in the pot throughout lunch and dinner service or even for several days.
A lot of the times people think they ate bad pork or fish at one of these places, it was actually the rice.
>>
>>7257458

You misunderstand, anon. I already know that it's fine to soak the rice overnight. I'm trying to get others to understand that by pointing out flaws in their reasoning otherwise.
>>
>>7257254
>figurine money
>implying all my money doesn't go to externals for my ever expanding backlog
>>
Came into this thread looking for the most autistic comment.

This one takes the cake
>>7257415
>>
>>7257480
Sorry senpai.

I don't know the life. I have a passing interest, but nothing that can't be satisfied on Netflix.
>>
>>7257474
Fair enough. I was just taking issue with the suggestion that one can invariably prevent any bacteria-caused food poisoning by cooking the spoiled food.
>>
>>7257483
I think he was trolling
>>
>>7257491
>one can invariably prevent any bacteria-caused food poisoning by cooking the spoiled food.

Nobody ever said it could be done invariably, only that it could be done in this particular case.

In other words SOME bacteria leave persistent heat-resistant toxins but most do not
>>
>>7257518
see
>>7257365
>>
>>7257527

Reading comprehension bro. The heat of cooking may kill the bacteria but may not destroy any toxins they may have left behind.
>>
>>7257176
>>salt
>>7257186
>>salt
Fucking pinku piggus man.

Might as well add olive oil, soy sauce, some pepper, and then hit it with some butter, bacon bits, and balsalmic vinegar to make some "light" rice.
>>
First start with an egg.
Fry the egg
Cut the egg into quarters
Season each quarter with different combo nations
Consume each quarter.
Master seasonings
Now you can make sushi rice because you are a master.
>>
>>7257176
> 1.5:1
Use 2:1 by weight.

> salt
Stop.

> washed rice
Stop.

> people soaking overnight
Stop.

Rice is easy. Boil 400g water. Add 200g rice. Put on lid. Turn down heat. Simmer for 15 mins. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 mins. Eat.
>>
>>7257216
Terrible, terrible advice.
>>
>>7257462

I know, which is why I avoided rice growing up.

But now that I've come to appreciate the godlikeness of gohan, I need it

White rice done right is fucking amazing

It's something that doesn't have that heavy flavor and you can literally eat bowls of
>>
>>7257654
>2:1 water:rice weight ratio
Are you leaving the lid off the pan or something?
>>7257874
I'm not seeing anything wrong with what he suggested.
>>
>>7257245
this looks pretty solid; i might give this a shot
>>
>>7257949
> lid off
No.

But usually I go down to 1.9:1 instead of 2:1
>>
>>7257176
rice cooker with asian rice,. but ugly nasty american rice.

also wash + soak technique. look it up. you are welcome
>>
>>7257190
I had a jap girl over at my place, and she got autistic about american rice being too long. I don't think this answer is correct.
>>
>>7257357
Hey asshat, it doesn't matter where the fuck I work because I'm not a retard. Why would I set it out at food temperature. Obviously the rice goes in the fucking refrigerator, you fucking moron.
>>
>>7257415
Hows that autism treating ya? Have you graduated to using forks yet?
>>
>>7261358
I'm stupid, the post.
>>
>not just going to a sushi joint and buying a bucket of rice

retards
>>
>>7261366
okay, mr. moneybags
>>
I find rice tricky on a stovetop because the amount of water and heat you need depends on what kind of pot your using and how tight the lid fits.

When I make giant batches of rice at work in a steam kettle, I only use 1.25 Cups of water for every 1 Cup of rice. This makes perfect rice.

On a stovetop if you have a chintzy pot you might have to leave the heat on low rather than turning it off because it doesn't retain enough heat, and you might need more water because more steam will escape while you are cooking it.

If you haven't got the patience for a little trial and error, there is another way to cook rice. Par-boil it like pasta, then strain it out and leave it to sit for a half hour or so in a covered container. You can find more in-depth instructions on google.
>>
>>7257213
This guy gets it, don't use jasmine or long-grain rice, it'll be shit.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.