[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a meme? I only see upsides to using one, why don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13

File: butter-on-induction-cooktop.jpg (98KB, 405x405px) Image search: [Google]
butter-on-induction-cooktop.jpg
98KB, 405x405px
Is this a meme? I only see upsides to using one, why don't more people use induction stoves/cooktops?
>>
I do. It's good but the touch interface is kind of laggy. The temperature control is really nice.
>>
File: IMG_7341.jpg (352KB, 765x510px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7341.jpg
352KB, 765x510px
can't do this
>>
File: wok36.jpg (15KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
wok36.jpg
15KB, 500x307px
>>7250891
I don't think a wok would work very well on one of those
>>
>>7250891
gas is the goat desu, everything else falls in order of mediocre at best to complete dog shit
>>
>>7250901

This alone is reason enough for me not to chose anything other than gas.

I've worked in kitchens before, and touching the stove with your hand is the last place you're going to get burned.

Induction honestly seems like a gimmick; why is it superior again?
>>
>>7250901
You can just broiled them or roast them and they come out exactly the same.
>>
>>7250931
It's easy to clean, that's about it.
>>
>>7250891
I like the instant temp control of gas
>>
>>7250909
Yes, this 100%. Once you go gas, you never want to cook without it.
>>
>>7250905
So? Woks aren't necessary for anything.
>>
>>7250891
The main reason is people don't want to have to replace most of their cook-wear. Stainless and aluminum will not work on induction.
>>
>>7250976
So? Why pay more for a stove if I can't use something I like with it?
>>
>>7250976
Maybe outside of Asia
>>
>>7250976
>you don't NEED thing
based retard
>>
>>7250976

Induction stoves aren't necessary for anything.
>>
>>7250891
Induction is extremely efficient, both in effect and energy consumption. You can bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil in a couple of minutes. It doesn't stay hot for ages after turning off, unlike a regular electrical stove. It's very easy to clean.
It's less intuitive and slower to adjust than gas. You can't grill bell peppers on it and it stops heating if you lift the pan to toss the food.
>>
>>7250905
I thought this too, but just this weekend I saw a noodle shop using these things. Obviously it's not exactly the same, but it smelled like they were getting some serious heat out of them.
>>
what happens if your pan has one of those dents in the middle of it does it still heat up?
>>
>>7251033

it explodes, everyone dies
>>
>>7250980
so it wont work on stainless and aluminum? What does it work on? I mean what else is there as far as cooking goes?
>>
>>7251043
it works on stainless steel, not aluminum because aluminium doesn't carry a magnetic charge well
>>
>>7251033
Any pan/pot/wok you set on the induction burner needs to be very near to the induction coils beneath the burner's surface, since the power decreases exponentially the farther away it is. Just like how a magnet can give a lot of power when it's right near a piece of metal, but if you move it a quarter inch away, it's much weaker. So for that induction wok cooker, I'm guessing it would come with appropriate woks, with the precise parabolic shape to fit snugly onto the burner.
>>
Can't use it when the power goes out. Gas is superior.
>>
non porous cook surfaces only

so boo if it's all you have

i have an induction hotplate though.. it's awesome.. but i would hate to have no other option
>>
Would an induction stove work on my enameled cast iron dutch oven?
>>
>>7251106
but gas can leak and is more dangerous
>>
>>7251115
Electric wires cause fires too.
>>
>>7251115
>but electricity can spark and is more dangerous
seriously just don't be an idiot and a lot of things become safer
>>
How am I to warm brandy for the Christmas pud?
>>
>>7250901

Never tried, but couldn't you do that with a small torch?
>>
File: barbeque-dragon.gif (19KB, 200x210px) Image search: [Google]
barbeque-dragon.gif
19KB, 200x210px
>>7251139

idk, i do it with dragons
>>
>>7251139
I'd personally do it in the oven
>>
>>7251139
Why buy yet another space-wasting kitchen gadget when I can just use the gas stove?
>>
>>7251165

For creme brulee, to put color on Italian meringue, etc. Small, costs nothing.
>>
Are all glass-tops induction?
>>
File: IMG_20121021_202806.jpg (483KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20121021_202806.jpg
483KB, 2048x1536px
IH is awesome for nabe, shabu shabu, or sukiyaki. I have a portable one to put on the table.
>>
>>7251288
fucking weeb
>>
>>7251288

I wish I became actual friends with the Asian people I knew back in college.
>>
>>7251274
No. Real shitty ones use halogen.
>>
>>7250891
How am I suppose to light my cigarette when I can't my lighter?
>>
>>7251100
the length of your answer alone makes me never want to use this shit.
>>
>>7250891
You cant cut hash efficiently with one of those
>>
>>7251392
I guess you didn't do very well in school.
>>
I don't have gas anymore so the next best thing is to get an induction hob. The pan can get really hot, but the hob always shut off past a certain temperature. Its the most energy efficient method of stovetop cooking right now and keeps the kitchen cool, but not as convenient as gas is.
>>
>>7251288
do all these weeb words just mean "putting shit in boiling water?"

i know one of them is just a straight up brand name for a chinese hot pot chain
>>
>>7251523
Nabe is a generic word for pot. It signifies various hot pot dishes. Shabu Shabu is onomatopoeia for Splash Splash and describes a technique of splashing sliced meat in various broths (not unlike fondue). Sukiyaki is meat, veg, and noodle braised in soy/sake/mirin/sugar and dipped in raw egg before eating. Typically cooked in cast iron, which is fucking great for IH cooking.
>>
>>7251523
if you really wanna get autistic about it theyre all technically nabe but specific forms of the same thing

none of them are chinese my guy
>>
>>7251555
thats fucking gay as shit
>>
>>7251047
Magnet is not a charge it's a field
>>
>>7250931
>I've worked in kitchens before

inductions are meant more as a home stove desu, wouldn't be great in a kitchen for the reason you stated and more
>>
>>7251024
Yea. those work.

Only downside is missing rising heat on the sides.

Otherwise they pump out quite a lot of heat.
>>
Pros

more energy efficient
very easy to clean
don't have to worry about filling tank if gas infrastructure isn't available
won't heat your house up in the summer
precise temperature control

Cons

must have compatible pots/pans
more complicated controls
no versatility of an open flame (you know what i mean if you've ever roasted marshmallows on a stove)
wont work well with odd shaped cookware (woks etc)
won't work when the power is out
>>
>>7252138
Cons

made of fucking glass
>>
File: 1451103236233.jpg (2KB, 118x126px) Image search: [Google]
1451103236233.jpg
2KB, 118x126px
>>7250976

You should not be allowed near a kitchen unless it's to cook your head in the oven.
>>
>>7251574
I like you, but not in a good way.
>>
>>7250905
I have a cheap flat bottomed carbon steel wok which works very well on induction. Heats to smoking within seconds. Sure, a round bottom would be preferable, but it heats a lot faster than regular electric would. I'd say it also provides more center heat than your average gas stove, but I might be wrong here.
>>
>>7252138
There is literally no reason to use a wok in this day and age.
>>
>>7252258
that's my problem with induction, there's so much heat focused in one place and it doesn't spread as much as gas does, so it kinda forces you to use cast iron because with any cookware that doesn't diffuse the heat as well the sides will be cold and the center will be way hotter than you need.
>>
>>7250941
It's slower. It's also not the same if you want to use a naked flame for flatbreads, and there's often cases where I'll want a large flame for a wok, or a flame to catch the oil on my food when I'm frying at a high heat to add a charred element.

Induction is sweet but I'd rather have flexibility.
>>
>>7251314
I make it for my Asian friends. I'm a white guy. Hot pot (Chinese) really isn't hard to make. Hanging out and eating is the best part of it honestly.
>>
>>7252305
>Hanging out and eating is the best part of it honestly.
Yeah, I finally convinced one of my non-asian friends to join us for hot pot. Shits fun, everyone throws in ten quid and we go down to the shops together to pick out what we want to eat then back to someones house for the eating. Basically 10 money for all you can eat, with leftovers.
>>
>>7250891
I've never thought of induction being a replacement for gas
I've only used them when doing off site catered events, when you can't bring the gas stove with you & don't want to have to replace a butane can every hour
>>
>>7251295
>calling people weeb
>4chan
top retard
>>
File: giada22.jpg (25KB, 366x400px) Image search: [Google]
giada22.jpg
25KB, 366x400px
a half-pan doesn't seem very practical
>>
Ok guys next time you want to cook your brick of cheese I have the perfect lazyman's recipe for you. Pop your brick in with 4 tablespoons of mayo (and a can of hormel's chili if you're a real meat eat like me heh) in the microwave for two minutes. Pull it out and stir and microwave it for another 2 minutes. Now this is the hard part; when you pull it out make sure not to scarf it down like a total fatass YOU WILL burn your tongue trust me

t. Jack
>>
>>7250901
Charred food gives you cancer, that's why all the dumb wetbacks have a high rate of cancer.
>>
>>7250891
My main reason, besides poverty, is that I don't like high power electromagnetic noise in my house.

On top of that, I don't see any obvious improvement, besides cleaning i guess.
>>
>>7251146
If that's from the book I'm thinking of, I loved that.

Buncha dragons keep ordering burgers and fries from a guy's burger place, can't pay, so they end up working for him.
>>
File: tinfoilhat.jpg (55KB, 250x322px) Image search: [Google]
tinfoilhat.jpg
55KB, 250x322px
>>7252660
>I don't like high power electromagnetic noise in my house.

uh oh
>>
>>7250976
Rekt
>>
>>7252719
There's nothing tinfoil-y about disliking kilowatt-rage RF interference.
If might fuck up electronics, communications and my brain.
I don't know and I don't care about what's "proven", I have no reason to take this risk.
>>
File: ks-8.png (224KB, 580x408px) Image search: [Google]
ks-8.png
224KB, 580x408px
>>7251288
might as well buy a kotatsu for that table you fucking weeaboo
>>
Induction is the most popular in my country, very few people has gas.
>>
>>7252719
EM noise makes it hard as shit to get a cellphone signal.

No bootycall for you
>>
>>7252749
>I don't know and I don't care about what's "proven"
That much is obvious.
>>
>>7252802

I feel like that thing would get food spilled on it every day.
>>
>>7252634
Take your (You) and go.
>>
I am now 100% convinced that people that don't like induction have never used it. I use it in a personal and professional setting and that shit is amazing. Electric and gas can't even compete.
>>
>>7252829
but it allows japanese people to live with their traditional saying:

寒頭熱足
>>
>>7252167
I like you. Will you fuck my tite boipucci?
>>
>>7252814
i've never had a single problem getting a cellphone signal while cooking on my induction stove though.
not that i have problems with getting a signal anywhere except when i'm deep inside a forrest or something
>>
>>7250891
>butter
>>
>>7253268
No, I'm pretty sure that's what Amerifats call "cheese", lmao
>>
File: slingpol33.jpg (37KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
slingpol33.jpg
37KB, 500x385px
>>7253029
>when i'm deep inside a forrest or something
>>
>>7253292

Apparently you can't read the filename
>>
File: ur a faget.jpg (217KB, 1026x872px) Image search: [Google]
ur a faget.jpg
217KB, 1026x872px
>>7253314
Can you read this one?
>>
>>7251106
Honestly I'll take an electric oven over gas one. I like the broiler to be on top.
>>
>>7252660
>I don't like high power electromagnetic noise in my house

Who the fuck doesn't like Daft Punk?
>>
listen here you little shit
>>
>>7253342

Can't stand them, to be honest.

Don't really know anybody who really likes them at all.
>>
>>7253314
Apparently you can't use Google reverse image search.
>>
>>7253359
You must be on the spectrum
>>
>>7251043
It works on stainless and iron
>>
>>7253361
Are you implying the word "butter" doesn't occur in the filename?
>>
Gas does literally everything better.
>>
>>7250891

There are very, very few reasons going against induction.
Only advantage gas has is that you can use woks. But then there's the disadvantage of gas leaks and shit.
>>
>>7253499

>only advantage gas has is that you can use woks

Or that you can lift up a pan, and otherwise move it around, without having to take it entirely off the heat, which in and of itself is huge.

>then there's the disadvantage of gas leaks and shit

That's pretty much a non-issue.
>>
>>7253536
>Or that you can lift up a pan, and otherwise move it around, without having to take it entirely off the heat, which in and of itself is huge.

When do you do this? I can't think of any reason to do this.
If I want it at a lower heat, I lower the heat. If I want it off the heat, I turn the stove off.
>>
>>7253499
I disagree. Gas has many advantages:

1) Gas provides a source of flame for roasting, toasting, and flambeing.

2) Gas works with any kind of cookware; there's no need to limit yourself to ferrous or special induction pans only.

3) Gas generally has a much higher heat output (BTU), though there do exist some high-power induction ranges for commercial kitchens.

4) Gas works with any shape cooking vessel (such as a wok) so you can heat things other than flat pans

5) Most induction stoves that I have used have a consistent problem: they have trouble maintaining a very low simmer. The heat switches back and forth between "off" and "more than a simmer". That's a pain when working with reductions or dishes that require a gentle cooking.

6) Gas works when there's a power outage. I've never had a "gas outage".

I will admit that induction is much easier to clean than a gas range though.
>>
>>7253537
flipping
>>
>>7253537

>people with money who've never cooked buying state of the art kitchen appliances
>>
>>7253537
>When do you do this? I can't think of any reason to do thi

A common one is when you're sauteing a food an then braising it in butter. You tilt the pan so that the rounded edge of the pan cooks the edge of the food more evenly than the flat base of the pan. The tilting also allows the butter to collect at the "low spot" so you can spoon it over the food.
>>
>>7253552

Is that the target group for gas stoves?
>>
>>7253555

Gas stoves are for people who know how to cook.
>>
Aren't American electrical appliances often slower which is why gas is still a thing?
>>
File: 20140130-pork-chop-food-lab-17.jpg (100KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
20140130-pork-chop-food-lab-17.jpg
100KB, 610x458px
>>7253554
Pic related.

>>7253555
Induction tends to be more expensive than gas, at least in my area.
>>
>>7253567

All stoves are for people who know how to cook. And for people who don't know how to cook.
>>
>>7253572

That only applies to small appliances that plug into a normal wall outlet, like an electric kettle or a coffee machine. American ovens are 240V just like those elsehwere.
>>
>>7253576

If you're basting butter over a pork chop you don't need heat. You've got plenty left in the pan. If you still need heat you''ve added the butter too early and are just burning it. Unless you have crap $5 cookware that has the heat retention of tinfoil.
>>
>>7250959

I specifically bought an induction top with knobs on the side instead of those touch buttons. Problem solved.
>>
>>7253537
>he can't think of a scenario where you'd put half the pan on a burner

Jesus christ anon, this is a fucking cooking board. Go back to jerking off to jap food and fast food
>>
>>7253685

The pork chop was just an example photo to demonstrate the technique that someone wasn't aware of. When you're using that method on foods with a cylindrical sort of shape then it's handy to be able to keep it over the heat. For example, sausages and torchons, or pieces of a fish fillet.

Gordon Ramsay demonstrates here, at 4:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQuyOwNtAVM

Also, even if you are relying on the heat stored in the pan many induction stoves automatically shut off if they detect that the pan has been removed or moved. That's annoying as hell when you need to repeat this process.
>>
>>7254419
What does he mean by keep it overnight on pilot light?
>>
>>7254453

Some gas ovens have a pilot light. That's a small flame that is constantly burning 24-7 whose function is to light the main burner when needed. That small flame happens to keep the oven slightly warm. So basically he's saying "put it in a warm but not overly hot place overnight"
>>
>>7254475
So its like a at home substitute for a proof box?

Can you "pilot light" bread too?
>>
>>7254495

Sure. Or just as simple as leaving something in a warm place (like on top of the water heater)

Yes, you can do that for bread.
>>
>>7252272

There are units with large coils too.
>>
>>7252939
They could just wear ice packs on their head and thermal socks to achieve the same thing.
>>
>>7252491
I'd like to slide my half-pan between her eggs.
>>
>>7252802
Kotatsus look pretty stupid in real life.
>>
>>7251165

>the only purpose of having a torch is for fire-roasting

you dab bro?
>>
>>7250931
Because blackout drunk normies won't pass out with gas/fire pumping into their house.
>gas>induction>electric coil bullshit
>>
>>7250976
Weebs angered
>>
>>7250980
stainless will work, along with any other ferrous material. if a magnet has no problem sticking to the pot, then it will work.

one thing to be careful of, there are pots that are made of differing materials. for example, i have a pot with a copper bottom and stainless steel sides. this obviously will not work on an induction stove.
>>
>>7251043
Induction uses magnetism to generate heat, so anything that is affected by a magnet will work, but nothing else will.
This means cast iron is GOAT induction-friendly cookware, stainless will work but not as well (because there a LOT of non-iron stuff in stainless), and aluminum or copper won't work at all.
>>
>>7251274
No. Since induction is a selling point, if it doesn't say it uses induction, it's not.
Most of them are just electric coil burners encased in the range top.
>>
>>7252258
>flat bottomed wok
You mean a skillet?
Yeah, those are great.
>>
>>7261209
You know what I mean. Proper round bottomed woks are obviously preferable.
>>
>>7252802
Those look comfy as fuck.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.