[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On my own, need to learn how cook larger variety of meals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1442900683380.jpg (45KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1442900683380.jpg
45KB, 540x540px
I'm doing my first internship and currently living alone in my recently deceased grandfathers house. I can cook my self eggs or noodles but if anyone has any videos or tips on cooking tasty and relatively healthy foods I'd appreciate it. I'm a burger though so anything salad related will probably be ignored.
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tasty+healthy+recipes
>>
File: 1449870201009.png (60KB, 241x274px) Image search: [Google]
1449870201009.png
60KB, 241x274px
>>7250604
there are a million of those, I was hoping to get recommendations before I put more time into slogging through dozens of videos and articles.
>>
>>7250622
lazy sack of shit
>>
Look into the book "Help, My Apartment Has A Kitchen."
>>
File: 1447827926443.jpg (26KB, 311x328px) Image search: [Google]
1447827926443.jpg
26KB, 311x328px
>>7250632
meh, it's not like I haven't looked, I just want some recommendations. Everyone starts somewhere after all.
>>
There's not much to recommend if you're going to dismiss anything with a large quantity of vegetables.

But, to get you started, basic pan cooking is to have your vegetables chopped in advance. Then you warm oil in a pan until it's hot but not smoking. If it starts to smoke, throw it away and start again. If you want to use garlic, put some diced garlic in now. Then toss in other spices, and in less than a minute add diced onion and stir it through. Then give the onion a minute to cook. After this, add whatever else you have. Start with the more dense ingredients and end with least dense ingredients. Higher density means a need for more cooking time. You might want to have meat cooked in advance and throw it in.
>>
>>7250632
you're pretty rude and unpleasant to talk to. this board would be better if you left.

op most foods are healthy enough as long as they don't contain trans fat, or an excessive amount of fat/salt/sugar. just include enough vegetables that aren't slathered in ranch dressing.

work on cooking simple meat dishes properly, and roasting/steaming vegetables. a bit of salt and vinegar makes almost any vegetable taste amazing. work on making a few different sauces, like lemon butter, tomato sauce, and a cream sauce.
>>
>>7250584
Learn how to make soup.
Everyone loves soup, and you don't even notice vegetables that are in soup. I absolutely despise the taste of celery, but in a soup, it's amazing.

Basically, just do this:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016498-celery-and-potato-soup
Only brown some diced chunks of whatever your favorite meat is in a pan, and toss that in, then brown a little bit of diced bacon and toss that in too.
>>
>>7250660
sorry I expect someone to at least do a little research before starting a thread

This question is really too vague to give a good answer to.
>>
>>7250648
thanks, I'll try and find it online

>>7250654
Thanks for the imagery and basic instructions, luckily since I'm living in my Grandfather's old home I have all of the entry level cooking supplies and more. All I have to do now is get used to going out and buying the ingredients.

>>7250660
thanks, so for the most part as long as I'm buying natural ingredients and avoiding frying them or drowning them in sauces they should be primarily healthy?
>>
File: 1449086004994.jpg (52KB, 680x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1449086004994.jpg
52KB, 680x1010px
>>7250669
thanks for the step by step instructions
>>
>>7250686
Soup is basically the most versatile meal.
Basically, anything you like that's not beans, water, and time, and you have a meal.
Trust me on the beans thing though, because if you don't cook them hot enough for long enough, they will fuck your shit up.
>>
>>7250678
he's doing research now, and you're hindering that

>>7250682
>thanks, so for the most part as long as I'm buying natural ingredients and avoiding frying them or drowning them in sauces they should be primarily healthy?
np, and yes. you can actually fry foods though, just make sure that the oil is hot enough and the food will absorb less oil. let the oil come up to temperature and don't crowd the pan or the oil will cool down.

most sauces will be fine, even things that get made fun of like ranch on salad is fine if you use the right amount. but a lot of people will use so much that they turn their salad into a ranch dressing soup. if your sauce is mostly vegetable, don't worry about how much you're using. if it's a cream or butter sauce, use it sparingly and make it flavorful with things like garlic, black pepper, spicy chili peppers, herbs and so on.
>>
Rice into a rice cooker
Vegetables into a pot with steamer basket
Fry meat in a skillet

Eat this three times a day. Done.
>>
>>7250699
sounds good, most of the things I've cooked have been pretty elementary level: eggs, omelets, boxed pasta, and tacos. Another anon >>7250689 mentioned soups and gave the step by step instructions so I'll probably give that a try in the next week or so. I'd heard that stir fry isn't particularly difficult and typically ends up as a healthy meal with solid taste if cooked correctly. would stir fry be a good way to start diversifying my skills and meal options?
>>
File: 1437112296881.gif (913KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1437112296881.gif
913KB, 500x375px
>>7250711
>Rice
I can't believe I forgot about rice, never cooked it before, but that still opens up a shit load of opportunities.
>>
>>7250722
>would stir fry be a good way to start diversifying my skills and meal options?
yes, you can pretty much make a stir fry with anything so it'll help you get your cooking and food prep techniques down.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.