[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you response to a new food?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 14

File: a20160110.jpg (301KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
a20160110.jpg
301KB, 1024x1024px
How do you response to a new food?
>>
I fucking try it, especially if I'm in a foreign country and don't want to seem disrespectful by looking down on what they eat.

fucking white people.
>>
File: js.jpg (384KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
js.jpg
384KB, 600x450px
>Exposure, plain and simple. Scientists tell us that aversions fade away when we eat moderate doses of the hated foods at moderate intervals, especially if the food is complex and new to us. (Don't try this with allergies, but don't cheat either: few of us have genuine food allergies.) Exposure works by overcoming our innate neophobia, the omnivore's fear of new foods that balances the biological urge to explore for them. Did you know that babies who are breast-fed will later have less trouble with novel foods than those who are given formula? The variety of flavors that make their way into breast milk from the mother's diet prepares the infant for the culinary surprises that lie ahead. Most parents give up trying novel foods on their weanlings after two or three attempts and then complain to the pediatrician; this may be the most common cause of fussy eaters and finicky adults--of omnivores manqués. Most babies will accept nearly anything after eight or ten tries.
>>
Generally positive unless it's some kind of fermented dish that smells horrible.
>>
File: fdsg.png (50KB, 251x246px) Image search: [Google]
fdsg.png
50KB, 251x246px
>>7248505
>when foreigners are here, people tell me to be understandable, because they have another culture
>when I'm in other countries, natives expect me to follow every aspect of their culture or it's an insult

"Nah, it doesn't look like something I would eat" is what I usually say.
>>
>>7248515
>visit a foreign country to experience its culture
>"nah I think I'll stick to McDonalds and tourist traps"
>>
I eat it and see if I like it or not. Then I probably eat it regardless because I probably like it, and even if I don't like it I wouldn't want to waste food, unless the portion size is stupid large. Why?
>>
Those dumplings look sort of funky. I can't tell if that's gelatin.
>>
>>7248563
definetely not
I had those before, they're pretty good senpai
>>
>>7248515
/pol/ just go
>>
>>7248563
It's a wheat/tapioca wrapper, they become transparent after steaming.
>>
Depends.
If it looks tasty, I eat it.
If it looks like a rejected fetus (ie >>7248962) then I politely decline.

Disgusting things look disgusting for a reason.
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 300x185px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 300x185px
>>
>>7248563
Wait, those things in the OP are dumpings? I thought they were bags of frozen veggies WTF
>>
>>7248515
Exactly
>>
>>7248503
"Is it trief or kosher?"
"Kosher. Cool"

Take a bite.
>>
>>7248976
That's precisely what I thought.
>>
File: harpo_marx.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
harpo_marx.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>7248976

took me a while, too
>>
>>7248966
>>durrr
that shit litterally just tastes like a loose shrimp sausage in a wan ton you fucking basic eater.
>>
bottoms up
>>
>>7248515
end your life, manchild
>>
>>7249138
He's 100% correct, however.
>>
>>7248503
Those dumplings are amazing. I love going to dim sum having those. But on topic, usually just give it a bite.
>>
>>7249138
>being angry because some people aren't the beta cuck you are

You can say "no".
You just have to be man enough to do it.
>>
>>7249293
Why would I say no to something nice?

I'm sorry you had parents who didn't love you and therefore things that aren't chicken tenders and ranch cause crippling anxiety
>>
Depends. Won't often eat eggs. Won't eat things like penis or testicles or intestines. Organ meat is s coin toss.
>>
For most things, I try with full gusto. For certain things (maybe putrid fish), I try with half gusto
>>
>>7249297
I'm glad you enjoy every single food item on the planet. That must be some kind of record. And you never have to say no either.
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 544x595px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 544x595px
>>7248503

I response.
>>
>>7248503
If I see something on a menu I've never tried before and have no idea what it is I'll often find out by ordering it.
>>
File: ikanminawangi.jpg (446KB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
ikanminawangi.jpg
446KB, 1728x1152px
>>7249312
I enjoy good food, so you'd be wrong there. For instance the kind of shitfood you people make threads about here (jack, regional fast food, junk food "nostalgia food" threads about the toxic mass-produced poison your parents abused you with as a child) is of no interest to me and honestly produces a sense of physical revulsion just thinking about eating it

Authentic ethnic cuisines from all over the world on the other hand are in most cases full of wholesome and delicious things. Remember just because it doesn't smell like chemicals and have an indistinct texture due to being rammed through an extrusion tube and mixed with weird fillers and artificial preservatives doesn't mean it's going to hurt you. On the contrary, you'd probably do well to eat more real food.

Here is a picture of a food with recognizable anatomical features. Does this give you an anxiety attack?
>>
>>7249314
>How can you really know getting shot is bad without ever having been shot before?
>How can you really know ripping your fingernail off is bad if you've never had your fingernails ripped off before?
>How can you really know that having your arm sawed off is bad without having someone take a saw to it and start cutting?
>>
File: 1280x720-nj-.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-nj-.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>7249340
>eating a vegetable you don't know the name of is like getting shot in the head
>eating meat that isn't in the form of a fast food hamburger is like having your arm sawed off

Never change, /ck/
>>
>>7248503
>How do you response to a new food?
>How do you response
Please learn English before attempting to post here, retard.
>>
>>7249335
Stay in school, junior. Your trolling needs to be honed quite a lot.
>>
>>7249340
Logic detected, but I still rip out my little toenails.
>>
File: 1175475919_28d7112c64.jpg (96KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1175475919_28d7112c64.jpg
96KB, 500x333px
>>7249364
>anyone who claims to like real food made of decent ingredients must be trolling or insane, people only pretend to like nice things in order to make themselves appear superior to those around them
Flyover as fuck
>>
>>7248976
chive dumplings you fool
>>
>>7249481
Actually those are far more likely to be snow pea tips. Chinese tend to use younger chives for cooking and they're flatter. Not to mention just having chives wouldn't be that tasty.
>>
>>7248962
Looks like abortion
>>
>>7248966
>If it looks tasty, I eat it.
>Disgusting things look disgusting for a reason.
>almost literally judging a book by its cover
>quite literally not trying new stuff because of irrational fear you might not like it
>not considering food "beauty" is subjective and part of a culture
do you also leave your green vegetables when eating?
did you not kiss your first gf because some friends in elementary school told you kisses were gross?
>>
>>7249381
Your response to "I don't think I like this food" is to go on an autismal tirade about liking real food,

Some people don't like mushrooms, are you going to scream in their face about chemicals and extruded foods just to make you feel better about your retardation?
>>
>>7248503
I fucking dig right in. What are you, some kind o faggot?
>>
I look at it then order chicken nuggets
>>
Everyone has a garbage bin.
>>
>>7248515
this is actually 100% correct

but you should be open to trying other foods anyways, it's boring just eating from one culture
>>
I'll try anything at least a few times.

>>7249497
They're called "chive dumplings." Because they're made with chives. They wouldn't be called that if they were made with snowpea leaves. You know the sort of chives I'm talking about, right? Those Asian, leafy sort of chives? Yeah. Those. That's what they're made of. You know the ones.
>>
>>7249381
>flyover
I love this insult. I'm going to appropriate it, as is my right as a white man.
>>
>>7249766
>internet condemnation
>equivalent to screaming in someone's face

do you ever interact with people outside of your bedroom? is mommy bringing tendies in for you soon?
>>
>>7250919
Reverse google search the image, and you'll see that the original source calls it a 'spinach, and shrimp dumpling'. I know chinese chives, and from looking, the leaves, and stem in those dumplings look nothing like those of the chives which are thin rather than clearly having stems.
>>
>>7251109
>being so unsure of yourself you have to reverse image search to make a point
lol
How beta do you have to be to do that?

Chive dumplings are a thing. A delicious, delicious thing.
>>
>>7248503
response? are you some asian dude who can't speak english or something? waiting us to complement your disgusting food so that you feel some pride deep inside?
>>
>>7251178
fuck off asian don't defend your fucking food p.s. that's spinach and not chives.
>>
>>7252032
>haha, asians can't speak English
>waiting

Smooth.
>>
>>7248503
Deep breath out,
Stick in mouth, see what happens.

If it smells caustic, extremely sour, or causes a black pepper reaction... pause, nibble a corner first
>>
>>7251178
>don't provide source
>LOL U DONT HAVE A SOURCE PROVE ME WRONG FAGGIT I WIN
>provide source
>W-WOW YOU'RE JUST A BETA WHY ARE YOU SO UNSURE OF YOURSELF STOP SOURCING THINGS TO PROVE ME WRONG ;_;
>>
>>7252098
TO SOURCE
or not to source
... ask the source shef
>>
>>7248515
not trying it to see if you like it.
I remember being 5.

these days I would give most things a go.
besides maggots and grubs and shit.
>>
>>7252098
Follow the conversation, pinhead.

>>7249497
>implies chive dumplings don't exist
>gives "they wouldn't be tasty!!!" as faulty, beta reasoning for the implication
>implies they're snow pea tip dumplings

>>7250919
>states, rather than implies (because alphas say things and not imply them) that chive dumplings exist

>>7251109
>learns that they're not snow pea tip dumplings at all
>"I PROVED YOU WRONG!!!"

Nothing was proven wrong. Are you retarded as well as beta?
What was said was that chive dumplings are a thing. No one proved that they're not a thing. Because they are. They are a thing. A delicious, delicious thing.
>>
File: 1376219191359.jpg (256KB, 600x845px) Image search: [Google]
1376219191359.jpg
256KB, 600x845px
>>7252158
Actually, the conversation started before that.

This guy is blind >>7248976 and mistook the dumplings in the OP for frozen vegetables.

This guy replied >>7249481 saying that the dumplings in the OP are chive dumplings.

Then this guy >>7249497 started trying to explain and prove that the picture in the OP is not chive dumplings.

So, if you think all that's going on is that some guy is trying to tell you that chive dumplings to not exist in any form on this Earth, then you have not been following the conversation.
>>
>>7252173
>to not
*do not
>>
>>7249497
>implies that it couldn't possibly be chive dumplings because "that wouldn't be tasty!!!"

>>7250919
>says chive dumplings are a thing

>>>7251109
>"let me ignore what you stated and instead say that they're not chive dumplings but spinach dumplings because i'm retarded durrrrrrrrrrr"
>"also, i proved you wrong because they're not chive dumplings even though you never said they were chive dumplings!!!"

>>7251178
>states chive dumplings exist and are delicious, directly contradicting what's implied in >>7249497

>>7252098
>"lol y u mad tho?"

>>7252158
>"you are clearly a mental deficient, incapable of following a conversation, so let me give you a point-by-point explanation of the pertinent parts."

>>7252173
>"here: let me give you unnecessary information only tangentially related to the points so that i don't feel so stupid for missing it"

Yup.
>>
>>7252201
Somebody said they were chive dumplings, (no it doesn't matter that it wasn't you) and then that guy said they were more likely to be snow pea dumplings.

Then you jumped in. But you shifted the conversation, perhaps not intentionally, to just make the point that "chive dumplings are a thing."

Both of you then started trying to convince each other of completely different things.

"What was said was that chive dumplings are a thing." This was never the point for him. He was replying to a post about the OP's dumplings.

You seem to be aware of this, and yet you made no effort to try to clarify the point you were making.

You're making a big deal out of a simple misunderstanding that you caused. You don't get to say what is pertinent or tangential when you hop into the middle of a conversation to give your two cents.
>>
>>7252230
>"i have no way to rebut that chive dumplings both exist and are tasty, so let me get buttflustered about it instead"

Okay.
>>
>>7252239
I'm not the person you were talking to about the chive dumplings, you should be more than aware of that by now.

I do want to ask you one thing though:
>>7251109
>>7251178

These two posts. He is clearing talking about a particular image, trying to explain what kind of dumplings they are.. He even goes on about how the greens in the image don't look like chives. This is your clue that he isn't talking about the thing that you're talking about.

So you should not be replying to that post just reiterating that "Chive dumplings are a thing. A delicious, delicious thing."

Because that doesn't follow at all, at least not for your argument. And only serves to confuse everybody. It's worded ambiguously enough that it's fair for him to assume you're talking about what he's talking about (the dumplings in the OP.)

Then it all just goes downhill from there.
>>
>>7248515
Basically Americans are the most polite people in the world.
>>
>>7252260
>"stop being the very best kind of correct!!! it ticks off my 'tism!!!"

Okay.
>>
File: image.jpg (131KB, 1680x305px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131KB, 1680x305px
>>7252201
>>
>>7248503
"no"
>>
>>7252297
That's not even close to what we're talking about. At all.

I'm trying to have a normal conversation with you and you're being incredibly difficult.
>>
>>7252328
>normal conversation
normal conversations are not carried out via the internet.
Get outside, meet people.
>>
>>7252260
>"i want to ask you something"
>long post that doesn't ask a anything
Not sure if autistic or retarded.
>>
>>7252339
>out...side? but i may catch scornful glances from strangers!
>>
>>7252344
Maybe I should have said "explain."
>>
>>7252339
Not with that attitude, I guess. But be honest, if you only consider the conversation itself, how does an online one really differ from an offline one?
>>
>>7252368
not him but conversations are held in real time with someone you know or can identify at least

you can have a conversation via irc for example, or via facebook messenger or face to face.

you cannot have a conversation on an anonymous imageboard, because either party can simply drop out of the conversation and because third parties can join in and impersonate or replace either of the participants
>>
>>7252394
That's such a strict definition of conversation. Complete nonsense, too.

Nothing precludes strangers from having a conversation in IRC or on facebook, or even in real life. Does it matter whether I "know" you as John Doe, or leetmaster5, or as Anonymous?

People can drop out of IRC, and drop dead in real life. Does that negate the conversation that took place? If a third person joins you at the dinner table, does it stop being a conversation?

I still maintain the conversation itself does not change. It may be slower, it may be short, but it will only be different if you purposely change it.
>>
>>7252427
you are on the spectrum
>>
>>7252429
What makes you say that?

Am I not blending in enough?

Should I meme arrow some?
>>
Things I will not try; certain organs (brain, intestines, penis, feet/paws) or potentially dangerous/rotting food.

I will try literally everything else at least once, including insects.
>>
File: snow pea tips dumplings.jpg (80KB, 700x523px) Image search: [Google]
snow pea tips dumplings.jpg
80KB, 700x523px
>>7252260
I appreciate your efforts to reason with the other poster. I never said chive dumplings are impossible. Just that a dumpling entirely out of chives would likely not be great - they do make dumplings that have predominately chives, but they're usually mixed with pork which is not evident in the picture. Hell I make gyoza with chives, but I mix it with pork, and shrimp. Another reason for this is that chives don't really hold together well without something else, hence why they're mixed with pork a lot of the time.

The guy who was replying to me seemed just intent to prove me wrong - even though, as the reverse image search showed, we were both wrong.

I based my judgement on my own experiences with snow pea tip dumplings or generally called "choy gao" in dimsum places (literally vegetable dumpling). Those dumplings tend to be nothing but the vegetable and quite a large helping of oil. They may occasionally include bits of dried scallops, and other aromatics.

I've attached a picture of an example of these dumplings, though the one at my local place has a thinner skin, and is as transparent as the one that OP posted.
>>
>>7252503
>I am white: the post
>>
>>7253107

don't make me say it
>>
>>7253144
What? That all white people should be exterminated? You're right, that goes without saying :)
>>
>>7253151

go be a nigger somewhere else
>>
File: lbj-racist2.jpg (65KB, 592x738px) Image search: [Google]
lbj-racist2.jpg
65KB, 592x738px
>>7253151
Do you vote Democrat?
>>
>>7253156
>>7253166
>the only races near me are whites and blacks
Slave state detected
>>
>>7253166
>>7253156
>>7253151
eugh
>>
>>7253166
https://www.quora.com/Did-LBJ-really-say-Ill-have-those-n*****s-voting-Democrat-for-two-hundred-years-when-passing-the-Great-Society-legislation

welcome to /ck/pol/
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.