[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

food in Chinatown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: cfs_st.jpg (51KB, 600x391px) Image search: [Google]
cfs_st.jpg
51KB, 600x391px
Going to Chinatown in NYC for three days in February for the New years festivities. What are some of the best foods to try/buy? Best restaurants to stop at? I heard you can get durian there. I'm hoping to come across some other exotic fruits and foods as well.
>>
>>7246384
The durian they sell here is frozen, basically all the horrible smell with a shadow of the fine taste
>>
>>7246384
Exotic fruits will be sold from pushcarts right on the streets.

Most of my favorite old school Cantonese joints have been closing over the last decade, so my list is a little hobbled. But here goes:

Nice Green Bo - Soup dumplings

Vanessa's Dumplings - 4/$1 fried pork dumplings

Nom Wah Tea Parlor - Oldest restaurant in Chinatown given a recent makeover with the concept of all day dim sum. Not really a locals joint, but great for an out of towner to hit.

Big Wong or King's Kitchen - Crispy skin duck and char siu over rice.

Spicy Village - Spicy Big Tray Chicken if you want to try one of the spiciest dishes in town.

A-Wah - Clay pot rice casserole.

Banh Mi Saigon - Buddha sandwich - proof that a vegetarian Viet sandwich can be fucking great.

As for shopping, if it hasn't closed by the time you get here you ought to walk north out of Chinatown up Broadway and hit the last moments of Pearl River Mart. That place is a NYC classic we're about to lose.
>>
Get the Number 6, it's to die for.
>>
>>7246529
Are you expected to tip in chinatown?
>>
>>7246529
>Big Wong
Big Wong does not have the same cooks as it did years ago. Management and ownership has changed.
>>
I lived in NYC for a couple years but barely ever went to Chinatown.

Mostly I went because I found a great glasses shop there.

You will see durians just walking down the street, sold (fresh) at fruit stands.

I went to Golden Unicorn dim sum a couple of times, which is pretty good if you've never been to a place like that.
>>
>>7246562
Yes, though some don't.
>>7246567
The BBQ in the window is still good, right? That's really what kept the place in business.
>>
>>7246592
Sounds like you're just racist.
>>
>>7246606
this
>>
>>7246592

Chinatown isn't anywhere near Hell's Kitchen.

I did almost get mugged just off Ave A around 3 in the morning going for a pack of cigarettes once, which is weird because the area is otherwise gentrified as fuck.
>>
>>7246629
>Chinese people are disgusting, rude
Yup, you're racist.
>>
>>7246606
It's APMPG, he's a top tier shitposter around here. Think of him as a cross between /r9k/ and the angry old Clint Eastwood character from gran Torino, with expert tier knowledge of NYC circa 1998, and minus the heart of gold

Anyway as for Chinatown, the guy who posted the list knows his shit, I disagree with him on stuff but I'm on mobile so I don't feel like doing a point by point
>>
>>7246615
OP here.
...yes, I'm also going there for pocketbooks. My Chinese is alright so at least I'm able to haggle with them.
>>
i heard they sell pig assholes and dog testicles there ewww id be very carefull
>>
>>7246833
Thanks for the advice, anon. Its my understanding that there's fireworks over the Hudson on the 6th, a firecracker festival on the 8th, and a parade on the 14th. At least the majority of our trip will be in the day time, I might just avoid it on the 6th after reading your post.
>>
>>7246529
Thanks for this. I will definitely check that out
>>
>>7246574
>The BBQ in the window is still good, right? That's really what kept the place in business.

Yeah I can atest that the roast stuff is still good.

>tfw you and all your relatives have moved away from Chinatown and your kids only see it now as a dirty place full of poor people

Muh childhood memories.
>>
>>7246809
>so at least I'm able to haggle with them
Is this really a thing? Like do they come to expect this or will they laugh in your face? Can anyone confirm?
>>
Had fresh honeydew bubble tea the last time I was there. It was awesome. Definately try some bubble tea
>>
>Living in the shithole of New York
>Not living upstate
Rochester and Syracuse are really nice, and any of you from NYC should consider moving there.
>>
>>7247363
With any kind of informal market anywhere in the world it's pretty normal to do this, I assume you've read that in America haggling is not a thing, which is true if you are talking about chain stores. But this isn't a chain store, this is a shitty back room in chinatown.
>>
>>7247386
Honestly I'd consider western mass before the fucking rust belt. Fuck that shit.
>>
>Shanghai deluxe
Soup dumplings my nigga. Best thing you can eat in NYC.

>Xi'an Famous foods
Spicy lamb sandwich.

Since its just right around the corner, you can go over to Ferrara Bakery and get yourself a lobster tail for dessert.
>>
>>7247433
Good choices
>>
>sneaking around back alleys to buy fake stuff in person
>not just buying it from Aliexpress like a normal person
>>
>>7246384
Hit up Joe's Shanghai and get the fucking SOUP DUMPLINGS my man
>>
File: thumb_600.jpg (113KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_600.jpg
113KB, 590x590px
>>7247433
>go over to Ferrara Bakery and get yourself a lobster tail

Oh my god, those are so amazing. Definitely a dessert for two people or more though.
>>
>>7247471
If you buy it on the internet you can't see how shit the quality it is so you can do a 360 and walk out the door
>>
>>7246523
I can get fresh, whole durian at markets here (West Coast is Best Coast!!)
>>
>>7247694
Sorry, but it's the exact same stuff we have on the east coast.

Durian isn't allowed to be imported unless it's either frozen first, or irradiated, and for whatever reason murrica has stupid hangups about irradiation even though BT toxins are perfectly ok to put in our taco bell shitfood.
>>
>>7247410
The fuck's wrong with western mass?
>>
>>7247626

No, you just get spanked and bleeding to death in the gutter instead
>>
>>7247807
Nothing, hence why I'd consider it
The real question is why would you move to Rochester or Syracuse
>>
>>7247821
Oh, okay. Just wondering. Different anon, btw.
>>
>>7247386
No, I have a co worker that commutes from Pennsylvania and it is hell. Fuck that.
>>
>>7248002
>Pennsylvania and it is hell
Outside of Philly and Pittsburgh it is food hell.
>>7248010
>You're safer on the streets of NYC than in Hollywood, Miami, Atlanta, Harrisburg etc
NYC is a food paradise if you can afford to live there,
>>
>>7246384

Ask for "good dreams" and check out the opium dens.
>>
>>7246592
>I live at west end ave @ 63rd
holy shit, this is exactly where i live

i never thought i'd see another anon that's literally on my block
>>
>>7246384
Go to Wo Hop
>>
>>7246384
>Go to Chinatown
>Order fried rice, egg rolls and orange chicken
>Post on /ck/ about it
>/ck/ will sperg out over your posts even though most of them should know better by now

Success.
>>
>>7246384
Does anybody know if RMB is used there?
>>
File: 1451199163807.jpg (203KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1451199163807.jpg
203KB, 800x600px
OP here. Thanks for all the input, guys. I'll definitely be posting tons of OC from this.
Any recommendations on rare exotic fruits or Chinese grocery items to look out for?
>>
>>7248130
Wo Hop is a fascinating historic and cultural institution. It's the closest you can get to generation one Americanized Chinese in NYC, it's almost always open and for some New Yorkers it is Chinatown. But it's one of those places where the Chinese and English menus are different, and if you order in English your food will be barely touched by ginger or garlic and it will be greasy. Not my cup of tea, but the place has a cult following. I know people who love it.

I'd rather go to Great NY Noodle Town.
>>
You're in NYC? Get the chop suey.
>>
>>7246384
Go to North China Dumplings on Essex street for 12 dumplings for 4 dollars. There are alot of places for the same price, but these are the best.

Also go to pho Vietnam on Chrystie street and get the pork chop, sausage. And fried egg over rice, or any of the pho.

Also dong be scared to try the food carts on Grand street. Get the pork that is grilled over charcoal and is seasoned with 5 spice.

This is also depending on which Chinatown you go to.
>>
>>7249232
Op didn't say where he's coming from, but the pho in NY is pretty shit, chances are unless he is from some flyover shit hole like chicago or toronto he can get better pho than here.
>>
>>7249246
Which is why it wasn't the first recommendation at a pho shop.
>>
>>7249246
Actually never tried pho before, I'd like to but just never had the opportunity. I'm traveling from eastern Pennsylvania, flyover city
>>
>>7249262
Oh, well in that case go crazy. Just don't come crying to /ck/ about how pho is shit and banh mi is an underwhelming memefood. The reason for these misconceptions is that unscrupulous ethnic chinese "vietnamese food" peddlers tried to capitalize on the white man's inherent curiosity about asian things.
>>
>>7249277
Bahn mi isn't underwhelming though.

Inb4 my pallet is shit, I'm a CMC a certified Somm.
>>
File: lpshen_53_02.jpg (71KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
lpshen_53_02.jpg
71KB, 640x480px
>>7249284
>having a pallet at all
Doesn't take much of a pallet {sic} to tell that all the banh mi in the city is made of shit tier stale hoagie buns instead of proper baguettes
>>
>>7249291
You go to shit places if you're not getting baguettes.
>>
>>7249302
I don't think you know what a baguette is

Protip: it's not just "some bread that's long and thin"
>>
>>7249284
>pallet
>>
>>7249305
A baggeutee is a long French bread made ouuta weat and bread
>>
>>7249326
>bread made out of bread
>not eating bread made out of noodles

lol pleb
>>
>>7249277
Duly noted. Maybe one day I'll get the opportunity to try the real thing. but if I have the opportunity in Chinatown, hey I'll try it just because. The sheer whimsy that accompanies trying something you wanted to try for a long time will usually make the exerience well worth it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
Try the beef chow mein here.
>>
>>7249490
That's the London Chinatown. OP is visiting the New York one
>>
>>7246384
I'd probably hit a bakery for some bunz and then get some dim sum (Oriental Garden or Golden Unicorn I guess). There's a good Thai grocery on Mosco street that's fun, and for something different (and far east on Hester Street), go to Hong Kong Supermarket for a big place with a huge selection of foods/candy.

Oh, also, if you're at all interested in vegetarian food, there's a vegetarian dim sum place on Doyers & Mott that has all kinds of tasty mock meats for not a lot of money.
>>
Anybody know if you can use food stamps in the stores here? Do most ethnic stores accept them? I always wanted to go to one but am poor and have been afraid of asking
>>
aunt vanessa's
>>
>>7251070
Vanessa's dumplings?
>>
>>7251120
yeah, thats what i meant. I remember it not being very expensive when I went there three years ago
>>
>>7251128
Still not very expensive
>>
>>7251305
And still pretty delicious, as long as you avoid the noodle dishes.
>>
>>7247386
>living in long island++

Fuck off
>>
Go to flushing chinatown too if you got the time (easy but long trip, just take the 7 to the last stop in queens).

There's a bigass mall with a food court on the bottom that has high tier dumplings, takoyaki and other stuff. Not to mention there's other great food and supermarkets around there, but the big stores don't have the same good prices as the approximated rice huts in manhattan.
>>
>>7251382
my dad is from Hong Kong and he always goes to the one in Flushing as often as he can
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.