[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New 5-Year US Dietary Guidelines Released

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: dga-2015.jpg (58KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
dga-2015.jpg
58KB, 600x400px
http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/01/07/462160303/new-dietary-guidelines-crack-down-on-sugar-but-red-meat-gets-a-pass
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/07/government-revises-dietary-guidelines-for-americans-go-ahead-and-have-some-eggs
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/01/government-unveils-its-latest-revision-to-dietary-guidelines
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/new-diet-guidelines-urge-less-sugar-for-all-and-less-meat-for-boys-and-men

So the new official dietary guidelines, issued every 5 years since 1980, which give nutritional best practices advice and set standards for food stamps, WIC, and school lunches were just released /ck/
The major takeaways are as follows:
What's the same -
>MURICANS still aren't eating enough Fruits & Veggies (Half your daily calories should come from them)
>Not enough Fiber either (At least half your recommended carbs should be whole grain)
>Saturated Fat should still be limited to 10% of your daily diet (Unchanged from 2010)
>Although it wasn't outright warned against, recommended lean protein sources such as fish, poultry, & nuts/seeded combine with daily fat limits leave little dietary room for red and processed meat

What's changed -
>Added sugar consumption should be reduced to 10% of your daily diet (Currently many consume up to 22 tsp/day which would have to be cut to 12 based on a 2 KCal diet)
^The FDA proposed last summer to require added sugars be included on nutrition labels to distinguish from natural sources in items such as fruit juices.
>Cholesterol, by itself, is no longer a nutrient of concern for over-consumption
>3-5 8-oz cups/day of coffee is now considered safe (Equal to up to 400mg of caffeine)
>Skipping breakfast is no longer considered a health hazard (It was previously thought to promote weight gain)
>Sodium intake levels were relaxed to 2300mg/day for most adults (Previously the limit for some was set at 1500mg)
>>
File: gr-meat-consumption.png (21KB, 738x545px) Image search: [Google]
gr-meat-consumption.png
21KB, 738x545px
>>7246240
Also for the first time, the guidelines single out men & boys to reduce their overall excessive protein consumption.

>Many teen boys and adult men consume more than the recommended 26 ounces a week of protein from animal sources, so they should "reduce overall intake of protein foods by decreasing intakes of meat, poultry, and eggs."
>>
MURICANs could meet the daily recommendations on added sugar alone from just drinking water instead of soda.
>>
>>7246253
Wrong picture.
>>
guidelines promote fat shaming
>>
>What's changed -
>Added sugar consumption should be reduced to 10% of your daily diet (Currently many consume up to 22 tsp/day which would have to be cut to 12 based on a 2 KCal diet)

This didn't change, what changed is that added sugar is now it's own category instead of burried in with other carbs.
>>
>>7246249
That's over 100g of protein a day, that can't be right.
>>
File: 1424288605571.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1424288605571.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
>>7246385
I don't see anything wrong with that.
:^)
>>
>>7246397
/fit/ recommends a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight
>>
>>7246385
Explain how "support healthy eating patterns" has anything to do with fat shaming.
>>
>>7246402
I don't think you could call anybody on /fit/ an 'average' citizen.
>>
>>7246403
You are supposed to tell fatties that they are eating unhealthy food. They get ashamed by this.
>>
>>7246409
You'd be surprised how large the body building movement has become.
/fit/ aren't the only ones recommending a gram per pound
>>
>>7246411

Won't work. You're obviously not ashamed of being dumb either. So there.
>>
>>7246397
1 oz of chicken breast has 8 proteins. 45 oz a week is 360 proteins a week. a week has 7 days. each day averages 51 proteins.

51 is less than 100
>>
>>7246423
Practically none of these dietary guidelines will work. They are full of bullshit.
>>
>>7246428
Why would they use chicken as the measurement? That doesn't even make sense, or account for differing levels of protein by source.
>>
>>7246430
They're not a rule, they're guidelines for the average American who won't be assed to track their own nutritional needs. And they're not formulated to turn fat people skinny, they're to persevere some idea of homeostasis.
>>
>>7246240
>Sodium intake levels were relaxed to 2300mg/day for most adults (Previously the limit for some was set at 1500mg)

Are you kidding me? Hypertension is a big issue. And it's well known that the DASH diet is a healthier diet.
>>
>>7246240
So they've finally fixed the cholesterol thing. Nice.
>>
>>7246249
>dont eat protein, you wouldn't want to get big and muscular instead of frail and effete, would you?
>>
>>7246824
Check your privilege. Being muscular intimidates women in the workplace.
>>
>>7246432
I used skinless chicken breast because its about as lean as meat gets. Its what /fit/ uses to hit protein while cutting.

If you want to do the math with a more diverse selection I assure you that the result will be even less daily protein. But I could be wrong.
>>
>>7246824
>>7246841
>protein from animal sources

You can get more protons from non-animal sources
>>
>>7246791
>DASH diet
>healthier

Dash sucks balls. Enjoy your early death.
>>
File: healthy-eating-pyramid-700-link.jpg (147KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
healthy-eating-pyramid-700-link.jpg
147KB, 700x700px
Harvard Medical School > FDA corporate lobbied shills
>>
why do they still put fruit and vegetables in the same category like they're the same thing. fruit is way too high in sugar and fruit juice might as well be gatorade.
>>
>>7246876
>no added sugar!
>>
>>7246855
Do you know what "overall" means?
>>
>>7246869
>potatoes

>Use sparingly

Yeah fukken right, m8, eat my ass.
>>
>>7246934
you can eat sweet ones.
>>
>>7246869

I thought potatoes were pretty healthy, assuming you use them in the correct fashion. Obviously two baked potatoes with sour cream, served next to a pound of steak isn't good.
>>
>>7246824
This guy gets it.
>>
>>7246973
You know, not everybody wants to be big and muscular.
>>
>>7246869
Hmmm, this has me wondering how a Sunflower/Whole Grain roux would go. Has anyone tried it?
>>
>>7246240
Why does no one talk about the Okinawa diet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_diet
>>
>Harvard wants Americans to eat a ton of shoes, tennis balls, dumbells, and other athletic equipment in addition to fish and scales.
That's not even food. I thought Harvard was supposed to be smart.
>>
So can someone just clarify: Is it OKAY to eat things with high cholesterol with relatively low carb and high protein? Is the logic that the protein is the benefit so long as fat/sugars/carbs aren't unreasonable?
>>
>>7247057
tennis balls can't be that bad dogs seem to like them
>>
>>7247088

if you're relatively young and don't have a genetic heart issue I don't see how cholesterol would be horribly bad
>>
>Fruits & Veggies (Half your daily calories should come from them)

Impossible
>>
>>7247088
The relationship between cholesterol and heart disease has always been spurious. It was initially based on shit science which was officially endorsed, and there has been a certain amount of desperation to continue validating it ever since it was discredited. Looks like they may have given up on defending it.

You should possibly limit your intake if you've had a heart attack in the past, just in case, but otherwise I would (and do) put it way down the bottom of my list of health concerns.
>>
>>7247168
literally just put vegetables in your food
it's not hard to cut some up
>>
>>7247178

No one's going to eat half their calories unless you're counting a bunch of potatoes as your vegetables.
>>
>>7246249
So basically they want to stop men from becoming big and strong.
Surely, this was written by a team of impartial experts and not insane SJWs who think all men are going to rape them.
>>
>>7247186
If you ate fruit as snacks and ate meals with a large veg component I think you could do it.
In one day you could have cereal, apples, salad/soup and a lasagne
>>
>>7247210
It's definitely possible, particularly if you had several servings of fruit every day since the sugars in fruit boost the calorie content.
>>
>>7247088
It was a case of yellow finger syndrome.

Cholesterol is what the body uses to heal damaged veins and arteries. So the more damaged the veins and arteries are the more cholesterol is present.

This is why cholesterol lowering statins do not lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, and why some studies show that it raises the risk.

What we now know is that dietary cholesterol can effect the particle size of blood cholesterol. Which has potential health benefits. So currently science says cholesterol = good
>>
>>7247173
The exact opposite. Cholesterol is needed to repair further cardiovascular damage. People who have had heart attacks need to be very careful with their diets and eat lots of healthy cholesterol foods.
>>
>>7247057
I always imagined Harvard as just a law school.

When I think of medical, I imagine John Hopkins.
>>
>>7247168
Didn't Steve Jobs do an extreme version of this and killed himself with his all fruit diet?

Shouldn't everything in moderation be more important in diet compared to whatever this scientists say?

Eating fruits and vegetable is good but I don't think you should overdo it.

Like there are plenty of idiots who drink too much Carrot Juice and have their skin turn orange because they believe you can't overdose yourself on vegetables and fruits.
>>
>>7247322
Pretty sure steve jobs went full freelee the banana girl and fucked his pancreas
>>
still thinking red meat is bad for you hahahaha
>>
>>7248589
>haha, dumb science!
>>
>>7247168
yeah, i think the calories wording is silly

volume, sure. it will keep you full, preventing eating more bad shit, and it will keep your guts regular. i say, if you have a quarter leafy veggies, quarter misc. veggies, quarter whole grains, quarter protein, you are doing a-okay.

maybe you could hit the calories with sugar rich fruits and juice but you have to be careful with that stuff. tropical fruit, sugar wise, you may as well be drinking sodas; those naked brand smoothies have the same sugar levels as pepsi
>>
>>7246869
>brown rice
>good for you
>>
>>7248589
i would bet a major part of the average american's red meat intake involves hamburger meat, bacon, sausage, and if it is steak, fatty cuts like ribeye

we can extrapolate that into assuming these meats are being enjoyed with or on: burgers, pancakes, fried eggs, cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup, fried potatoes, on and on

we aren't talking lean steaks or roasts with a side of veggies
>>
>>7246253
this is because food has gotten so cheap, that soda sizes have gotten bigger while staying at the same price.

coke used to come in 6 oz bottles, and now you can buy a gallon of soda in a cup meant for one person in some places. free refills in a lot of restaurants for your soda too.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.