[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a newcomer to cooking, and I want to learn and get better.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: rps20160107_161328.jpg (111KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
rps20160107_161328.jpg
111KB, 1024x576px
I'm a newcomer to cooking, and I want to learn and get better. I got a wok and cooking stuff for Christmas
My parents want me to cook but I don't know what to make with what O bought. Sadly I didn't have a recipe in mind when I bought stuff.

How can I make a ramen or a stir fry with what I bought? Can I make ramen in the wok or should I use a big soup pot like I usually use for stews?

Recipes and general tips for what I have would be super appreciated

My stuff:
Shoyu ramen noodles
Yaki soba noodles
Chow mein noodles
Bean sprouts
Bok choy
Green onion
Angus beef
Black tiger shrimp
Hondashi bonito soup stock
Nori flakes
Pork flakes
Furikake sesame, nori, bonito topping
Sake
Sesame oil
Various utensils and cooking stuff every kitchen has (eggs etc)
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 186x237px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 186x237px
seems like a simple enough meal just cook the ramen and throw in the meat and veggies, you can put the noodles if you like and put a little bit of the spices at a time until you like it, that way it's not too overpowering
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-07-18-12-13.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-07-18-12-13.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
I ended up winging a stir fry after looking up several recipes
It tasted pretty good. The rice was a little undercooked, but the shrimp was well marinated. They were so crunchy though, I've never had such crunchy shrimp. Is it because they were fresh, or undercooked, or overcooked?
Forgot to take a pic so screenshotted my story.
>>
stop being such a weeb

also, woks are shit unless you have stoves specialized for them, because otherwise they don't heat properly (curved bottom)

crunchy shrimp: did you leave the shells on?

asian people never EVER eat noodles with rice.
>>
>>7244017
Stir frying is tough at home because your stove isn't hot enough to properly stir fry (even if it's gas).
>>
>I got a wok
Throw it out. You don't need it and you don't have the means to use it properly.
>>
>>7244017
o god it's hideous
>>
>>7244046
>
this
>>
>>7244017
did you forget to peel your shrimp?
>>
>>7244046
I like mine because food doesn't fall over the side as easily when I'm rapidly stirring.
>>
>>7244066
key to a stir fry when not over a restaurant burner is to let the components rest so that they'll brown.

you're stirring too much.
>>
>>7244086
But they don't brown their vegetables in restaurant stir fries.

Anyway, I'm definitely not making any authentic cuisine, but the result is crisp vegetables which are cooked through and taste good, so I'll continue doing it my way.
>>
>>7244017
Are those noodles chopped?
>>
>>7244100
the only reason they stir so damn much in traditional stir fries is that if they didn't, it would burn because their stoves get so hot.

do what you enjoy tho, as long as it tastes good.
>>
>>7244017
>They were so crunchy though, I've never had such crunchy shrimp. Is it because they were fresh, or undercooked, or overcooked?

M8, I think you forgot to peel your shrimp.
>>
>>7244038
>your stove isn't hot enough to properly stir fry (even if it's gas).
This may not be true. I have a 12.5k BTU burner on my stove, and if I let my cast iron wok sit on it cranked for a minute or two I'm at a pretty good heat.
>>
>They were so crunchy though, I've never had such crunchy shrimp. Is it because they were fresh, or undercooked, or overcooked?

that was cute holy shit my sides
>>
>>7244017
The most important thing about cooking is that it tastes good, but if it looks like shit it's not that appealing when you cook for others. Brown/grey food is not that fun to eat.
Try garnishing a bit more and add some more colours to your food. Red, green and yellow vegetables are great for this.

Also peel your shrimp m8
>>
>>7244017
Goddamn Japanese can completely fuck a meal up and still make it look somewhat palatable.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.