[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: veganism Do you guys think it's just a passing fad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (275KB, 680x1020px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
275KB, 680x1020px
ITT: veganism

Do you guys think it's just a passing fad or is it here to stay?
>>
Well considering it was literally the diet of the first humans, I wouldn't call it a passing fad.
Seems like lately the meat and dairy has been lobbying against it harder than ever.
>>
>>7242784
Aslong as there's faggots there will be vegans. Sad, really. I love animals just as much as the next man but your crazy if you think I'm gonna pass on a nice big ass steak
>>
Even if it fades deep into obscurity, there will always be a few people who practice and evangelize it. And it's the kind of idea that can be independently discovered. I bet there have been people all around the world who have come up with the idea on their own. The idea of removing meat from a diet is an old one, and a few people will always take something to its extreme.
>>
>>7242789

Then you don't really love animals do you. You don't care if they're subjected to lives of pain and exploitation. Would you kill a cow yourself to eat a steak?
>>
>>7242787
Pretty sure humans were scavengers eating dead animals.
>>
>>7242810
Fuck yes i would. The cow was named Luther, by the time we finished eating it we started calling it Leather.
>>
>>7242810
Yep I've done it before with sheep as well for birria. I love on a farm with pet horses (ne we don't eat them) and sheep, cows, goats as well. Fresh for milk in the morning is awesome.
>>
>>7242810
Yes, and I'm a vegan
My dream is to have my own land and some few animals to run for slaughter when I'm craving some bacon or whatever
Animals taste good nigger.
>>
>>7242787
Didn't they all live to 30?
>>
>>7242810
Itd be cool to kill a cow. The skinning it and butchering it wouldn't be gross just time consuming, which is why I just buy it at the grocery store
>>
I think it will slowly become the diet of most of the world based on how many resources are spent on livestock. The rising cost of meat has made me a pescatarian, and I make sure it's all sustainably harvested.
I'm not even that poor or anything, there are just so many alternatives to meat now that I can get my required protein from much cheaper and just as tasty sources while maybe helping the environment a little bit. Probably not for the last part but whatever.
>>
>>7242844
That was a byproduct of their bodies being able to adapt to almost any condition

High metabolic rate
>>
>>7242810

Cry moar, fuccboi.

And yes, I would. I never have since I don't own or know anyone who owns any cows. I've killed several moose, reindeer and deer though, and slaughtered or helped slaughter even more of them. It's called not being a pussy and not being urban scum.

I do agree that modern animal husbandry on an industrial scale is despicable, and that overall meat consumption should be greatly reduced for environmental reasons (in my country, the average weekly consumption has increased from 400 grams to nearly 1.5 kg per week in just 20-25 years, within my own lifetime)
>>
>>7242883
OK well I don't want to live until 30 so I'll eat meat and vegetables
>>
>>7242812
Scavengers have much shorter digestive tracts than we do.
>>7242784
Veganism has been around for a long time. A plant based diet is associated with many religious practices. Many Buddhist monks are vegan. Greek Orthodox Christians eat a vegan diet during their Lenten fast.

Modern secular veganism originated during the Industrial Revolution, which makes sense. No need to eat meat in an industrialized society, and products from animals raised in an industrialized manner are kinda sketchy.

So this "fad" has been a thing since the early 1800's. That's 100 years before pizza and burgers were "fads" in America. I kinda doubt it's going anywhere.
>>
>>7242886
lol youre literally retarded
>>
>>7242810
If the 'poclypse comes, I might try cannibalism. I wouldn't think twice about slitting your faggot throat.
>>
File: 17907.jpg (401KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
17907.jpg
401KB, 2560x1536px
>>7242931
>>
>>7242787
>it was literally the diet of the first humans,

What the fuck are you talking about? The homo genus is defined by its use of stone tools, which were used to process meat. Every single member of the genus has been proven to have engaged in hunting or scavenging activities, and the main consensus for what enabled our rapid brain growth as a genus is more consumption of animal proteins.
>>
>>7242935
>the main consensus for what enabled our rapid brain growth as a genus is more consumption of animal proteins.
Many believe it was actually cooking. Being omnivores was a good start, but the ability to cook our food, making it easier to digest (and less likely to make us sick) really gave us a leg up.
>>
>>7242844
Because they had minimal hygeine, basically no medical services, and we're literally living in the wild with no technology of any kind
>>
>>7242787
Humans have been eating meat for approximately 2 million years.

Any claim along the lines "our teeth don't look like those of other meat-eaters, so obviously we're meant to be vegetarians" suggests a misunderstanding of evolution. There is no long-term plan with evolution, no careful design toward a single endpoint. Characteristics are adapted and readapted as conditions change. We're 'meant' to do whatever we currently do. Saying we're not meant to eat meat because we started eating it less recently than some other species is like saying whales are meant to walk rather than swim because they still have tiny vestigial leg bones.
>>
>>7242787

Now that's what I call bullshit.
>>
Brain size jumped to modern human volumes with H. Neanderthals, which almost exclusively ate meat. Neanderthals have a brain size of 1450cc, modern humans averaging about 1550cc. H. Habilis started using stone tools extensively but stuck to a plant based diet only had about 900cc brain volume. The brain uses a lot of energy, something that a meat diet would provide.

Having heavily processed food means we easily exceed the required calories but god do I wish vegans would die.
>>
>>7243053
shit, I swapped the brain volumes. humans 1450 and neanderthals 1550
>>
>>7243053
>god do I wish vegans would die
they will, just like everybody else
>>
Its not just a diet preference, it's a whole outlook on modern life. Save the whales, recycle, drive bicycle and such
>>
>>7242884
>killing defenseless animals makes me more of a man!
stay closeted big boy
>>
>>7243112

No, but not being a bleeding heart cunt makes me more of a man, and not being freaked out by blood and guts as well. Humans are a part of and from nature, in nature things kill other things for sustenance, deal with it. Hunting and killing for food is about as natural as fucking, sure, you can choose not to do either, but stop trying to preach that everyone should follow you into self imposed asceticism. Besides, killing them is fucking necessary since there aren't enough predators these days, a bullet is better than starving to death (and no, feeding doesn't work in the wild, not with prey animals).
>>
>>7243139
>im a closeted fag

Ftfy
>>
>>7243112
Are you suggesting >>7242884 doth protest too much?
>>
File: 4dd.jpg (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
4dd.jpg
9KB, 200x200px
>>7243112
>>7243146
>gets BTFO
>y-yeah? well ur gay
kek
>>
>>7243146
>>7243147
Samefag
>>
File: funny-Wonka-meme-meat.jpg (49KB, 400x439px) Image search: [Google]
funny-Wonka-meme-meat.jpg
49KB, 400x439px
>>7242884
>>
Here to say, whether it will reach mass adoption is the real question.

The other big threat to it is that the moral component is that animal "suffering" is caused. So if in vitro production of meat becomes a thing, will vegetarians persist on the whole?
>>
>>7242983
we are biologically herbivores. we're not meant to eat meat because it causes cancer, gives us health problems and we cant digest it properly. There are just so many health, environmental and ethical reasons to be vegan that it is completely wrong to say otherwise.
>>
>>7243183
Vegetarians are only vegetarian because they think it makes them interesting. It's not from any sort of well reasoned thoughts or arguments, it's purely so they have one more thing to bitch/have an opinion about.

They do not give a single true shit about the welfare of animals, otherwise they wouldn't partake in any animal products at all.
>>
>>7243179
>clearly states that he hunts
>"lol i bet u dont evn hunt fgt"
You to realize it's a very common thing in much of the world, right?
>>
>>7243139
You sound like someone who feels threatened when he looks at the world and sees it moving away from the idealized view of the past you identify with. Being the tough guy who hates cities and loves running around the woods with a gun in your hand? You're well on your way to becoming an anachronism - an unfunny caricature of your grandfather, who likely had the sense of humor you do not..
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>7243204

Yeah, it's the CURRENT YEAR after all.
>>
>>7242787

There's marked evidence that even our evolutionary predecessors were hunters.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>7243196

No, we're omnivores like pretty much all other great apes, you fucking cretin.

>muh meat rots in your guts meme
>muh flat teeth meme
>muh cancer meme
>muh you don't get cancer from plants meme

please
>>
>>7243200
>tfw diary alternatives are shit
>>
>>7242787
Using "the first humans ate that way" as a reason is just as fucking bad as those stupid Paleo idiots who use "our hunter gatherer ancestors ate this way".

Humans are an evolving species just like every other. We are omnivores at this point in our timeline. We can eat nearly anything (which doesn't me we SHOULD, your general health should always be your top concern when it comes to your diet). Veganism is more of a mental health problem than a diet.
>>
Will we always have impressionable white people with too much time on their hands, who want an easy way to express moral outrage but don't want to put any real effort into doing anything to improve the lives of people in this world? And are also really bad at science?

Why, yes. Yes, we will.
>>
>>7243219

I don't mind some of the milk alternatives but they can go fuck themselves in the face with that "cheese."
>>
I'm in Veterinary and constantly being bombarded by veganism. I've a sort of friend who is a lesbian and "recently" converted to it and is extremely obnoxious, always posting about vegan stuff all day everyday.

It might be here to stay but it will never replace eating meat and animal products.
>>
>>7242810
id kill you for a steak.
having feelings over food is a sign of weakness that needs to be removed from the gene pool.
>>
>>7243268
>having feelings over food is a sign of weakness
Not if your offspring make it to reproductive age. Failing that is the only real weakness.
>>
>>7243288
just be happy you live in a society that helps your condition.
without modern technology and practices you would die off.

you're nothing but a bunch of emotion filled retards with a moral high ground for cattle.
>>
>>7242784
What is in your pic? That looks delicious.
>>
>>7243301
>just be happy you live in a society that helps your condition.
couldn't be happier about it
>without modern technology and practices you would die off.
Then I guess I'm well suited for the environment in which I find myself.
>you're nothing but a bunch of emotion filled retards
You seem upset.
>>
>>7243317
http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-roasted-red-pepper-pasta-gf/
>>
>>7243053
Pretty much this. Meat allowed us to become what we are today. Also, if you're going to shit on meat eating and say its unnatural...would you say the same about gay people?
>>
>>7243355
>if you're going to shit on meat eating and say its unnatural.
It's not unnatural, it's just unnecessary in an industrialized society. That and pretty wasteful.
>>
>>7242810
I have killed chicken.
Its funny how they run around without heads.
>>
>>7242844
The average age was low due to the extremely high rate of infant deaths. If you made it past your teens you would live about as long as we do today. Discounting infant deaths, our average age has been constant for 2000 years.
>>
>>7243366
I dont understand this argument
should I stop buying beef jerky and chicken because of this?
I like the taste, but until I find something that tastes as good as bacon or other meats I wont stop eating the real thing
>>
I see no reason to feel sorry for animals. I have no obligation to them as a species. Hurting them for no reason seems unnecessary, but if them being uncomfortable makes humans more comfortable then I'm all for it.

I've raised and killed chickens before, and pigs. Honestly they don't have a lot going on mentally.

Sure you can get attached to a particular one like you would with any piece of property. If I had a pet pig I wouldn't stop eating pork.

I honestly just don't care that much about animal pain. Why? Because they're not humans.
>>
It's here to stay.

In fact, in 200 years vegans will free roam on massive 'safe space' college like campuses spanning hundreds of miles where they will graze on foliage and jack eachother off.
>>
Eating game and fish is not bad. Mass-produced meat industry is literally one of the worst things on this planet, if you internalize this and are fine with it, ok, but don't try and act ignorant about the environmental damage and animal cruelty around it.
>>
>>7243497

holy fuck go hug some trees
>>
>>7243500
u mad subhuman?
>>
>>7243500
It is true that modern meat farming practices fuck over a lot of places. Even if you don't believe on a large scale, the modern cattle industry has contributed hugely to numerous species going extinct as has fish farming.
>>
>>7243511
Good. It's our earth, we won, fuck any other living thing. You might think I'm joking but I'm 100% serious. Fuck fish.
>>
>>7243514
I mean. Yes, but it'll end up making earth much more difficult to live on for humans. I don't really care too much as long as we preserve some sort of biological record. However in the long run (with our lifetimes) it'll make earth measurably worse to live on.

Or if we really fuck up earth's atmosphere could actually become unsustainable to humans within 200 years. However that's a worse case scenario.
>>
>>7243224
I'm white and honestly? You're probably right.

White guilt is a bitch.
>>
>>7243514
Haha, you're actually serious? I've rarely heard something more self absorbed in my life. Fucking pathetic.

This is entirely hypocritical and I'm aware, but people like you should be forcibly sterilized, and possibly ground up to be turned into compost.
>>
The problem is that the earth isn't just yours, and we'll continue piling on that guilt until vegans are a majority.
>>
File: 1262255510219.jpg (4KB, 145x130px) Image search: [Google]
1262255510219.jpg
4KB, 145x130px
>>7243535

>a vegan calling someone else self-absorbed
>>
It's not that vegans care about animals. They just hate people.
>>
>>7243719
>The problem is that the earth isn't just yours, and we'll continue piling on that guilt until vegans are a majority.
Bullshit. Animals would treat human like shit given the chance. Ever heard of the pig farmer who had a stroke in his pen and the pigs fucking ate him? I have an obligation to man, not animals. I don't feel guilt over animal pain if it benefits humans because I fucking value human comfort over animal comfort.
>>
>>7243815
Most animals tend to leave humans alone. We are the worst killers by miles.
Anyway the modern world is being destroyed by a lot of ways and animal agriculture is major and needs to be stopped.
>>
>>7243835
See, I'm find with the environmental impact argument. I dislike the moral one because it implies the comfort of animals is more important than that of humans.

And we're the worst killers because humans are the best at it (actually this is untrue, ants are the actual work killers, but fuck it). Animals just aren't equipped to kill humans and stay away from humans because we tend to win the fight.
>>
>>7242817
Maybe you shouldn't have had it well done, then.
>>
>>7243835
How are we worse than animals which eat meat exclusively?
>>
>>7243877
Do any of those animals submit their prey to lifelong torture in enclosed spaces?
>>
>>7243880
Yes actually. Many species of insects do.
>>
>>7242810
>Would you kill a cow yourself to eat a steak?
Yeah, I actually might. Sad stuff, but people used to do it all the time.
>>
>>7243882
Great, so it's alright because it's done by the most disgusting lifeform on earth that isn't technically an animal anyway.
>>
>>7243896
>says insects are disgusting
Hey, fuck off mate. Insects are delicious.

>insects
>not animals
lel
>>
>>7243896
Are you confusing mammals and animals? You're really really dumb.
>>
>>7243880
The point made was that humans kill more than other animals, so don't try to pretend it wasn't. Considering most humans never kill an animal in their life, and some live on a completely vegan diet, we are definitely not high up on that list. And if we were, so what?
>>
>>7242784
Fad yes, passing, unlikely. People adhere to it for any number of reasons, ranging from personal conviction about the treatment of animals and the ethics of eating them to something as having something lord over others and feel superior about.
>>7242810
A cow? No. Not worth it, beef ain't even that good. A deer, a hog, a duck? Sure.

That said, living in the wild is not any great thing for prey animals, and if you're worried about how the animals are treated, get to know your local farmers because you're sure to find some that treat their animals well.
>>
File: 1450984762439.jpg (26KB, 383x287px) Image search: [Google]
1450984762439.jpg
26KB, 383x287px
>mfw there are no actual vegans in this thread and just trolls trolling trolls

I very nearly shook my head at some of the nonsense here until I realised every last bit of it was bait.
>>
>>7244501

good.

it keeps the real buttfucking faggoty vegans away.
>>
>>7244506
>people with different ideas scare me
>>
>>7244510

well hello there buttfucking faggoty vegan
>>
>>7244518
hello fearful redneck, how's tricks?
>>
>>7242902
>being this assblasted
Found the butthurt vegan. Im gonna live past 30 by eating meat and veggies.
>>
>>7243196
>shilling this bad.
You know that WHO study wasn't credible with the cancer right?
>>
>>7244570
>Im gonna live past 30
Nice to see you're setting your sights so high.
>>
>>7244583
How does it feel to know you'll probably die by 50 because of being malnourished salad shooter?
I lucked out with genetics ill be aroubd till about 90-100:^)
>>
>>7244599
Doing very well at 47, so I can't complain. Not on any meds, either.
>>
>>7242784
Quaker-pacifists have been vegan since 1700

>>7242787
There were no first humans, or first of any species, your understanding of evolution is flawed.
>>
>>7244612
Also Sikhs and some Buddhists
>>
>>7244611
>age 47
>doing well
>on 4chan
Pick two
>>
>>7244617
Sikhs adopt meat free. Shiks are not bound to vegan lifestyle.
>>
>>7244621
You sound like the kind of posters who removed all the lulz from /b/ over the last eight years. Let me guess: you take the shit you post here seriously because no one in real life gives a fuck about your opinions? Amirite?
>>
File: 1424790291259.jpg (73KB, 490x333px) Image search: [Google]
1424790291259.jpg
73KB, 490x333px
>>7244634
>dat projecting
Got to get something off your chest anon?
>>
>>7244621
I thought you guys were talking about the hitman for a second there
>>
File: neato.gif (836KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
neato.gif
836KB, 300x300px
>>7244647
>icwutudidther.jpeg
>>
>>7244644
You tell me. I'm listening. Tell me why other people's choices make you so buttmad.
>>
>>7244666
Im not buttmad, you are the one projecting yourself on a Laotian postal stam forum and valling others retarded because they dont live life like you do.
>>
>>7244687
This sounds buttmad to me
>>7244599
>How does it feel to know you'll probably die by 50 because of being malnourished salad shooter?
>>
>>7242844
No, humans back then lives hundreds of years
>>
>>7244720
>if i deflect enough it becomes true
>>
Why are meat eaters so quick to defend their meat. You cry babies sound like American gun owners. So sad.

Go Vegan and you will always be living in prosperity and happiness.
>>
>>7244739
>You cry babies sound like American gun owners
Same people I think.
>>
>>7244743
>>7244739
>same fagging this hard
>insults non vegans
>non vegans defend themselves
>look how much crybabies non vegans are!
Wew lad
>>
Jesus fuck I bit the bait.
Let me talk about a foreign concept to most of the people here

>people can eat what they want

Holy shit?! Yes, there is studies that prove eating TOO much meat is bad but there is also plenty of erupting studies that show a decrease in brain growth and lack of memory retention when you don't eat meat proteins. Thanks to modern science we can eat what we want and still be healthy,

fuck off vegans for being so imposing and self entitled
Fuck off vegan haters for getting mad because someone doesn't eat meat or drink milk

Either way it's proven happiness is more important to health than your diet (to an extent don't eat fucking fast food everyday just because you like it)
>>
>>7244811

Nice source there meat man.
>>
>>7245125
And if I asked you for some sources you wouldn't give me anything credible and if you did it would be vague. I don't even eat a lot of meat because it's expensive and I'd rather spend my money on cheese
>>
>>7242784
veganism is the way to go, a lifetime consumption of beef would result in more damage to the environment than driving would, not that I really care, I couldn't live a day as a vegan
>>
>>7242784
I don't care if it's vegan, that dish looks fucking tasty. I assume it's carrot or sweet potato puree, goddamn my mouth is watering.
>>
>>7245155
Why vegan though, what's wrong with just being vegetarian. The amount of livestock would still fall drastically, even if we still use them for milk / eggs
>>
>>7245209
That's worse. At least animals raised for meat are put out of their misery.
>>
>>7245230
>veganism
>nihilism
>what's the difference
>>
>>7242784
>passing fad
You need to be 18+ to post here.
>>
>>7242810
I would not, but only because I don't know how to do it quickly or efficiently. I would also ruin a lot of the meat trying to butcher it myself. That's why I buy it at the supermarket; AFTER all that shit I don't know how to do has been done by a machine that does.
>>
>>7242934
You've been cursed, pieboy
>>
>>7243719
Meat tastes good lol
>>
>>7244543
Trix are for KIDS! :D

filthy nigger
>>
>>7244666
Thanks for listening Satan, here it is.

People's choices make me SO MAD, but you know what? It's because they try to shove it down my throat and guilt me about it. Like Catholics and atheists: you wanna believe in a god? Good. You don't? Cool. Just leave it at that m8y, I don't really wanna hear why you think the other side is retarded or whatever. Same with vegans, vegetarians, whatever. I eat meat, you don't; will that get in the way of us getting to be friends/talking/knowing each other? If no, neat. If yes, by by bby.

Thanks satan, I feel much better you really know how to listen
>>
>>7242810
yeah
>>
bandwagon veganism will die out, like all fads
people that think animals are gross or too cute to kill will always be around
>>
>>7245263
I agree with you completely. I have no patience for proselytizers of any stripe. Unfortunately we live in a world where politics and food are interwoven. Our government subsidizes ridiculous corn and soy production, and a big part of the reason for this is to assure cheap meat and dairy. I don't care what you choose to eat, and I would hope my own choices don't irritate you, because there's no reason they should.

But from a political perspective I will actively speak out against agricultural policies that are environmental disasters (and very likely public health disasters as well) just so milk, meat and cheese for cheap at Costco, and fast food burgers can sell for a few bucks. And a by-product of this is cheap sugar, which isn't doing anyone any good.

I have no problem with people choosing what they want to eat, and I sure as fuck do not look down on anyone who chooses to eat meat and dairy. But I'm very much against the industrialized production of cheap meat and dairy, and the government subsidizing it is absurd.
>>
>>7242817
That's not it, the meat just had mad freezer burn by the end
>>
>>7242817
For
>>7243869
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.