[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self-suffiency

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1451178716389.jpg (145KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1451178716389.jpg
145KB, 640x640px
Good morning all. I was wondering if anyone here, is living a self-sufficient lifestyle? At least in terms of growing/raising your own food. And if so, would you mind sharing your experiences? Preferly with lots of pics (also of the meals you've created and enjoyed), tips and general advice on this topic. Thanks.
>>
Every year I make grape jam/cherry jam, orange marmalade, and lots of cherry baked goods. Does that count?
>>
>>7241728
It sure is a start! What would the baked stuff be like - just cookies, or?
>>
ahahahaha not at all

this place is nothing but fast food munchers and shitposting brits
>>
>>7241710
You'd need land and a lot of free time to be self sufficient in terms of food.
>>
>>7241748
Perhabs yea, but there's only one way to find out IF there is an exception lurking

>>7241750
1/4 acre is easily enough for an average family. And it would be more like a part time job, than a hobby. You wouldn't have to work as much on the side anyway, if your bills (for food/electricity/water) is waaay below average.
>>
>>7241768
Why would your electricity and water be below average? Do you know what it takes to grow crops? Certainly water won't be below average, on the contrary you are going to use a lot more watering crops, particularly if you live in an area where you don't get sufficient rain water (almost all areas). You will never be "self-sufficient" at growing enough food for yourself unless you like eating mostly lettuce and can't eat things out of season. Even then you're not "self-sufficient" because you will still rely on government water system and buying commercial soils, fertilizers and rockdust. At best you'll just be some bitch with her little garden project.
>>
File: 4FodF.gif (977KB, 400x318px) Image search: [Google]
4FodF.gif
977KB, 400x318px
The farmers life is not an easy one. Although I do share your romantic sentiments about growing my own food, Ive realised its too impractical. Takes too much time and work. That said, i do try to enjoy it on a small scale. Herb garden, some years tomatoes or squash. Just make wine and jar sauces. A man has gotta work
>>
>>7241801
Well, first of all I'm an electrician - with the capability to make the electricity bill go into zero. When I'm talking about self-suffiency, it also includes water. I live in Scandinavia, on an Island, so water is not a problem at all (wells, creeks, rainwater (we have a lot of rain) + it's cheapily priced IF I have to buy some).

I eat mainly vegetarian, and obviously in season. So it would easily be possible. I've grown up in the countryside, and my dad was a farmer. This is not foreign to me, but something that I'm currently working towards.

>>7241808
Sounds cozy m8, and I'm sure that's the best solution for most people aswell. Absolutely.
>>
>>7241827
>capability to make your bill zero...
Please explain
>>
i'm not yet but it's in my life plan.. i'm saving my money to buy a few you acres on the water within the next few years
>>
File: masa.jpg (37KB, 445x526px) Image search: [Google]
masa.jpg
37KB, 445x526px
Read Masanobu Fukuoka's books, and permaculture in general. It's possible, but one can not keep living with the same style.
>>
>>7241945
Sure, I can explain it tomorrow. Look in this thread, in ~20hours.

>>7242058
Wonderful m8

>>7242364
Thanks, I'll look 'em up. Always nice with some quality literature.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.