[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tools of the Trade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: cosplay essentials.png (233KB, 573x550px) Image search: [Google]
cosplay essentials.png
233KB, 573x550px
Inspired by the What's In Your Bag thread, I'm starting to wonder..
What does /cgl/ think is essential to every cosplayer? What equipment should everyone have and learn to use?
>>
A hot knife for cutting foam/plastic. It's like magic.
>>
>>8837097
Set of big, long clear ruler, a small ruler (seam gauge), and French curve (or curved ruler).

Roll of spa/medical paper.
>>
>>8837097
Just naming off the stuff that has helped greatly/saved my ass in a pinch at con itself. you can be surprised with what you can make due with, when options are limited.

Cordless hot glue gun
Double-sided tape
Safety pins
X-acto knife
Tide to-go spot pens
black/white thread with needles
Cheap hairspray ( seals body paint in a pinch)
Velcro of all sizes
Medical gauze ( For looks and for real injuries)
Pocket lint brush
Super Glue
Single serving of powdered chicken soup ( best hangover cure if you drink)
Equipment everyone should learn to use, or at least be familiar with:

Sandpaper/Power sander
Sewing machine
Dremel or other rotary tool
Good/Safe X-acto knife skills ( too many scars to count from that damn knife)
Any device that allows you to get 72 hours of rush work done 24 hours before you leave for the con.

To be honest, it all depends what kind of cosplay you are going to be doing mostly.

Doing alot of armor/props? Power tools are involved 50-75% of the time

Doing alot of dresses/custom clothing? prepare to love/hate the sewing machine.

I would say, at the bare minimum, you should get your hands on a sewing machine. Find a old, metal one that can do a shitload of layers at once, if possible. If you have a sewing shop in town, these can be found for under 75 bucks.

The biggest tool to learn how to use is your head. Taking time to plan/pattern out a cosplay can save you a shitload of time/money in the future.
>>
>>8837097
Scrap paper to sketch things on the fly.
Instead of hot glue, I've really taken to contact glue/cement. It smells like shit and you need to ventilate, but it works so well.
>>
File: iron.jpg (142KB, 393x705px) Image search: [Google]
iron.jpg
142KB, 393x705px
i didn't see an iron mentioned. GOT to have one of those!
>>
>>8837495
Ham press and clothes steamer, too. No point in making yourself even more miserable and exhausted at the end of a long sewing day trying to figure out how the hell to jam a gathered leg of mutton sleeve into an ironing board in a way that doesn't create more wrinkles, or having to steam velvet in a draughty hotel shower.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.