[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

new larp thread, previous in autosage, etc, etc. previous thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 81

File: P1000393.jpg (433KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P1000393.jpg
433KB, 1024x768px
new larp thread, previous in autosage, etc, etc.

previous thread
>>8782403
>>
and I'm still waiting for the answer from this guy >>8808242 on which group and camp he will be in
>>
File: The Lever'alone painted.jpg (435KB, 999x525px) Image search: [Google]
The Lever'alone painted.jpg
435KB, 999x525px
Postan my Finished LARP NERF blasters. Here is the "Lever-alone"
>>
File: DSC_0090.jpg (342KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0090.jpg
342KB, 800x450px
Double-or-nothin'
>>
File: DSC_0089.jpg (328KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0089.jpg
328KB, 800x450px
The Modulakov, this one particularly ended up well.
>>
File: F4KE5ZHH1JUIQR1.MEDIUM.jpg (35KB, 576x430px) Image search: [Google]
F4KE5ZHH1JUIQR1.MEDIUM.jpg
35KB, 576x430px
>>8810001
>what would be the best nerf for making a bolter pistol ?

the Recon/Retaliator
>>
>>8810024
Or the Stryfe, the electric flywheel let's you use it one handed.
>>
The cheap sword frog I got for my last event isn't working nearly as well as I'd hoped--surprise, surprise--so I'm looking for a better one. I understand Calimacil's leather goods aren't very well made, are there any other makers who do particularly good frogs/sheaths? I've got a couple of reasonable looking ones from Windlass, Epic Armory, and Palnatoke pulled up.
>>
>>8810238
The issue I have with the electric guns is that they are loud as fuck. especially once you fiddle with the internals to boost them.
Trying to do anything stealth of subtle is impossible.

It works well to have an excuse for 2 guns, a springer and a flywheel, but it can be a pain.
>>
>>8810639
I've had good experience with Cali's stuff, but they don't make their own so quality varies depending on what you buy.
>>
File: 2016-01-12 18.00.54.jpg (934KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-12 18.00.54.jpg
934KB, 2592x1944px
I've finished my first boffer.
Turned out a bit flopsy... Next time I'll stay closer to AHLF's tutorial.
At least aesthetically it looks ok. If nothing else, I'll sell it as a cosplay prop.
>>
>>8810718
Link to tutorial?
It looks pretty good.
>>
>>8810729
in the old thread
>>8808894
>>
File: stryfe safety orange.jpg (225KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
stryfe safety orange.jpg
225KB, 1500x1500px
>>8810238
Still working on my stryfe. Looking to make it look gritty.

>>8810648
>bolter
>stealthy
So I guess we'll have to make concealable staff weapons for SG-1 now?
>>
>>8810718
Sweet cleaver!

Can you make a margin on weps?
>>
>>8810648
You only push the flywheel button when you intend to fire, so stealth is out the window anyway.
If your walking about with with always spinning your doing it wrong.
>>
>>8809986
>>8809989
>>8809992
I think Nerf just realised who what their public now and made awesome looking gun to be painted.
''Oh yeah our guns you see..theyre not looking dangerous they are flashy and its written on them not to modify them so...not our fault''

>>8810639
>The cheap sword frog
I prefer to be called a French speaking Larper without any money.

>>8810639
i made one myself using an old leather suitcase.
not the best looking but it does the job.
Pic related

>>8810718
It looks good.

>>8810879
>SG-1
Like stargate or i am missing something here?

>>8810948
True, if you're using a bigass electric weapon in combat, chances are stealth and subtility both shot themselves in the head and you're there to make a point, a noisy point.
>>
File: ottchu-kxwv-IMG_2037_l.jpg (250KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ottchu-kxwv-IMG_2037_l.jpg
250KB, 800x1200px
>>8810980
>stargate
Where else would you find a staff weapon?
>>
>>8810980
that's a sheath not a frog you stupid frog.

>>8810639
have you tried making your own? Also what is the problem precisely?

>>8810718
Looks really great, you could be swimming in dosh in the near future
>>
>>8810980
>Like stargate or i am missing something here?
There is a stargate larp group in the UK - http://www.stargatelrp.co.uk/home/
>>
>>8811240
I crewed their last event, was quite good fun. If my yearly leave wasn't already taken up I'd consider playing.
>>
How dumdmb is it to have an asymetrical look-that is like having only one pauldron or one bracer?
>>
>>8811405
not dumb at all
>>
>>8811405
Depends on what you are portraying. A grizzled veteran with little coin or a gladiator who has a specific fighting style in the ring might well have only one pauldron. It is a question of balance and overall impression. I DO believe it would be fairly easy to get wrong and make it look edgelord.
>>
>>8811405

There's been more than one time where I've had more armor on my weapon arm than my shield arm for a character. I used to get smacked in the wrist far more often swinging a sword, so I ended up protecting it (and occasionally hiding a wrist brace under it).
>>
>>8811082
I gave it a go before buying one, because I wanted to save time. Didn't come out very well, because I have almost no experience with leatherworking or proper tools.

The issue with the cheap one is twofold: it hangs a little bit too low, and it doesn't carry the sword at an angle very well. So I end up with the tip scraping the ground and bumping my legs.

Part of it is because my belt was too loose, so I added a new hole to tighten it. But now that I am making more money, I'm looking for something good looking and better made.
>>
File: DSC04163.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04163.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8811470
okay. Let me show you the literally most simple way to make a sword holder.
I made it a few years ago before me and a few other guys went to a Con to advertise larp (and do attention whore things) and the morning I realized I have no sword holder thingie. So I had to come up with something fast and do it with things I had.
Luckily I had scrap leather, sharp object (I have more than enough of those) and this little rope kind of thingy, don't know the proper english term.

I'm not proud of it, it can be imrpoved by a few tweaking here and there or generally by giving a fuck but if I could do it under 10 minutes I'm pretty sure you can put some thought in it and do it in an afternoon while watching tv
>>
File: DSC04164.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04164.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8811531
it looked better before AHLF borrowed it once and vandalized it
>>
File: DSC04165.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04165.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8811534
plus I have an asymmetric sword. And as I said, luck of time and fuck when I made it
>>
>>8811535
tl;dr
it holds up and you can do it from nearly nothing, without any real tools. it's not rocket science
>>
File: P6213754.jpg (750KB, 1365x2048px) Image search: [Google]
P6213754.jpg
750KB, 1365x2048px
>>8811545
also here is another version of no fucks given sword holders:
A piece of wool (from military blanket) a kitchen spoon (wooden, sawing off the head) and a few minutes of sewing
>>
>>8811549
Now that just looks like it'll get stuck on the draw.
>>
>>8811551
it's wool, it's flexible, only the upper part has the wooden strengthening. Plus that's why it is worn so low so it won't get stuck on the draw.
>>
>>8811531
>>8811534
>>8811535
>>8811545
That does look nice for a last-minute project! Props on having it hold up for so long.

In this case, though, I have the money for something kind of nice, and I'd like to pay for the extra craftsmanship.
>>
>>8811554
So where does the spoon handle go for strengthening? Is it sewn in the same direction as the sword, to keep the sheath's shape?
>>
>>8811581
yep, where you see the yellow sewing mark whatevers
>>
>>8810983

Ja'faa KREE!
>>
>>8811578
then make a better design.
>>
>>8811608
He's looking to buy one. How about you help him out with that instead of getting mad that he isn't interested in making his own.

And for the record, etsy stuff usually isn't that bad.
>>
>>8811578
I bought a cheap frog intended to hold real scabbards/swords. It's adjustable and holds my latex weapon just fine. I think the frogs intended for real weapons are better made than the LARP ones. Obviously it won't hold a dicksword, but for a reasonably sized latex weapon it's great. Plus it was $15US. Kult Of Athena has them along with other, more expensive options.

>>8811608
>assblasted
>>
>>8811549
>>8811545

and i thought Eurolarps were suppose to be good garbed...
>>
File: DSC_0002.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
>>8811534
>>8811531
That stitching makes me a sad panda.
>>
>>8810948
Flywheel button is great for scare tactics though.
Between scaring the shit out of people by coming out of a bush reving or just using it to scare someone into backing down.
Dunno if its common, but in my larp ammo is pretty scarce and worth a good deal in trade. Having to shoot it is a pretty big hit to the wallet.
>>
File: il_570xN.310985513.jpg (42KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.310985513.jpg
42KB, 570x380px
In generic fantasy larps, How do you feel about people wearing objects that are lifted right from video games, such as pic related, for example or red sashes around their waste assassin's creed style? Is it ever okay? When is it not?
>>
>>8812135
I've... seen it done acceptably.
But it's almost always shitty. People who do it really love to do the "HAY GUIS IM WEARING THE HELMET FROM SKYRAM IM DRAGONBORNLOLOLOLOLOL."

I think it is only acceptable when it's general garb concepts pulled into a regular set of garb, and even then only if it's done impeccably to the point where nobody would be able to tell it was inspired by something unless they were specifically told about it, and then they shut up about it and tell no one. Specific items are really hard to lift.

Instead we usually get guys who do shitty parkor in all white outfits while going "DO YOU GET IT? IT'S LIKE I'M IN ASSASSIN'S CREED!"

What I'm saying is that drawing inspiration for garb is fine as long as it's subtle, but doing tongue-in-cheek isn't.

I have no tolerances for idiots lifting their backstories from video games (or even worse, anime) though, holy shit those people are the worst.

>TL;DR, do not.
>>
>>8812135
I do Skyrim-inspired stuff at my larp. The good thing about Skyrim is most things in the game are moderately realistic-looking, so they blend in better than, say, something you'd see in an anime. Also if you make it yourself instead of buying it it'll usually look just different enough that people don't care.

By the time you're skilled enough that looks like something out of a video game most people will shut up as long as you're not being an ass and breaking their immersion to be "lol, Skyrim."

tl;dr: as in everything, don't be a dick
>>
File: gnome child.jpg (43KB, 499x376px) Image search: [Google]
gnome child.jpg
43KB, 499x376px
>>8812152
>>8812143

im dropping a good deal of money on some skyrim inspired garb. Its got a few historical elements though. Well see how it turns out.

I finally decided on a fucking colorway which took ages. Dark grey as the primary, with Maroon, and tan trim, and accents of Amber. On the tunic the accent will be replaced with a sage green. Aswell as on the Cowl thingy.

Hopefully when alls said and done i could look like a movie prop.

anyone have any ideas on how to properly dirty and distress fabric and leather (in a safe way that wont leave holes or be unsanitary) as i find that most Garb looks too pristine. Adding a layer of wear to it i think really improves the overall appearance.
>>
>>8812178
Fast and easy: dirt and sand paper

Movie costumes have to look perfectly same after 30 takes so you can edit it together.

Instead of dirt you'd use paint, and not watercolors - acrylics work well. Alternate dry brush surface dirt and deep fabric spots with soaking in diluted paint.

Wearing is still done with sand paper, but you'd use different grains and directions so the light doesn't reveal how artificial it is from any angle.

Follow seams with a contrast yarn, darn a few spots and sow on patches. 3 small modifications are better than 1 big one.

Cut tiny notches in belts. Blunt brass and steel buttons and buckles (or shine them for a noble). Add incidentals, empty pockets look empty, pebbles and twigs will do.

Be aware that movie costume cannot be worn in LARP combat. It is expensive stuff that must be returned in pristine condition. LARP garb breaks, and mending adds character. If you have an action scene in a movie, they have the stunt costume on set several times.
>>
>>8812135

I wore an orange/red sash with a black salamander on it before AssCreed happened. I was rather miffed when they started showing up everywhere.
>>
>>8812391
well, yet movie props wouldnt hold up to combat standards, but theres no reason a woolen tunic with wear, or a leather belt wouldn't is there?

the goal is to LOOK like i stepped out of a movie, or a book. not to actualy. Should i instead focus on getting nubby fabric? also, should fabric be distressed before sewing?? or after.
>>
>>8812425
Distress only finished articles. If you do it before it looks like you sewed together your garb from an old curtain (which many do). But the wear has to stop short of the seam, that is aged differently.

Every bit of aging tells a story, and for a LARP character you can even have a little story to go with it. Every bit of background will enable you to adlib more. The visual impression a garb leaves is picked up in moments, no one scrutinizes it. But wear that makes no obvious sense creates dissonance and requires the other players to actively ignore it in a worst case scenario.

What that means is a tear makes more sense on the elbow than on the torso. If you darn a "cut" consider also adding a brown soak to the area because battle wounds bleed and blood doesn't wash out well without bleach. Wear belts around the buckle, maybe a few notches up and down from your size indicating hard times. Sweat lines around collars are a sign of someone who doesn't have his shirts cleaned by a servant. Think along those lines and keep it simple.
>>
>>8812443

I don't really play in any Character. Or have a backstory or any of that. I just want to look awesome. Should i develop a backstory for this? Im using a heavily referenced robes of destruction. But i don't really see myself as a mage. This is alot more complicated than i originally envisioned.
>>
>>8812469
Amerilarps are. Deal.

What backstory gives you is something to talk about when you meet people. Without something to adlib around with you'll just be awkwardly standing by the fire. You want to have material to just go up to strangers and tell them of your heroic deeds, or remain blatantly taciturn when it comes to your greatest failures. Small talk is vital, and if you discuss TV shows it really breaks the atmo.
>>
>>8812474
Yeah, see i don't want to talk about all the heroic deeds i havent done though. Im fine talking to people about mundane stuff. The thing with American larps, is that there less of a larp and more of a nerdy fighting gathering. there is subjectively, zero to no, rollplaying. Outside the occasional feast, or mercenary dice game/ arm wrestling, theres none.

so im not sure concerned about that aspect of it. Though if it means taking on a backstory and rollplaying a bit increases my garb game, by even a little id be down with it.

i specifically, do NOT want to look like one of these fucking idiots. Like, i would kill myself.
>>
>>8812476
>hes wearing two fucking belts, both useless.
>HE HAS JEANS ON
> the cowl has no weight to it, and the fabric is like. couch leather.
>the trim isnt real
>hes mixing leathers.

oh god please help me not look like this fool.
>>
>>8812477
>mixing leathers
aw come on now. so did otzi
>>
>>8812480
man, you just cant do black and brown together. its Heresy.
>>
>>8812476
If you spend §1000 you can just go and buy a movie costume.

>>8812482
A fashion whore noble wouldn't, but a mercenary certainly might.
>>
File: DSC03753.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03753.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>8811828
he already bought one that was shit, and unless he is willing to get the really expensive ones he will only find overpriced shit. Which he can make at home with little to no tools and experience, and with a little practice even better ones.
That's why.

What I'm saying he CAN make a better one, he just needs to put a little effort in it and not afraid to try.

>>8811969
who said that to you?

>>8812023
does leatherwork like these makes you happier?
>>
>>8812135
it's not okay if you constantly talk about the video game or act like if you are the character from that video game if it's not compatible with the larp. Like if it's not an elder scrolls larp and you constantly go shouting and expect people to fall down because of it
>>
>>8812477
none of those are real problems. He has a decent kit that could be upgraded but without any really big problems.
He is already way over the US standard
>>
>>8812482
It's not really heresy, it just takes some work to look right, versus other combinations which requireba lot more work.
>>
File: role-models-ken.jpg (57KB, 450x299px) Image search: [Google]
role-models-ken.jpg
57KB, 450x299px
>>>>8812571
>he is already well above US standard
It's pretty sad that McLovin here is actually considered a good attempt by US larp standards. Where does the problem come from? Saving up $20 a month and putting it towards LARP gear isn't that hard, and does wonders. Hell, $10 a month would still have a definite effect after a year.
>>
>>8812802
Eurolarping is a complex hobby with crafting, historical research, cooking, ancient instruments, authentic reenactment, and some bashing of heads with foam sticks if you want.

In the US it's more of an afternoon athletic competition.

There are other events in the US, but they're having a real hard time. I'm not sure, why. Bicolline is thriving after all.
>>
>>8812802
As a U.S. Larper I'd say it stems from two things. Laziness from game runners and laziness from players. NPCs tend to be just in tabbards so that makes players more relaxed. The game I ran never used tabbards and has creature suits. The result was the player base had better costuming
>>
>>8812814
I don't think you can reduce it to laziness.

A decent looking garb is a serious investment. You can get a quality gaming PC for that kind of money.

A lot of people are intimidated and many veterans enjoy that a bit too much. A quality kit seems to be some kind of status symbol, and that isn't helping.

So every event is split between the plebs who can't be arsed to spend even a little to look like a character, and the freaks who take it all way too seriously and get really pretentious over it. As soon as people realize that it isn't a competition and that everyone having fun is a prerequisite for immersion, that all solves itself. It's just that many events never make it there because the turnover is too high.
>>
>>8812425

Good garb tends to be polished. Or ground, as the case may be.

Is it well-polished? It's usually not the shiny you get from "new", it's the shiny you get from "worn and polished and worn and polished and...". Vintage or salvaged buttons and buckles will get you that look easily and are something you can scavenge from many a thrift shop even from an otherwise useless piece of clothing. If it's not a superfancy noble type piece, you can even mix in a different button into a line as a "repaired" piece, or slightly mismatch a buckle for much the same reason.

Is it worn? It's like blue jeans- if it's not "broken in", it won't look quite right. Wear it. Even sweat in it a bit. Give it some time hanging near a fire with a few spritzes of water if it's meant to be weather-wear, because that's what would happen to it- it'll get wet and then it'll usually end up baking a bit near a fire to dry out.

Heck, Viggo Mortensen actually would hike to filming locations when playing Aragorn in the LoTR movies, in full gear, just so he'd look right.
>>
>>8812808
Bico doesn't have a whole lot of actual roleplaying.
Well at least not all of the groups. Quite a few just do the fighting hang out and get drunk.
>>
>>8812884
But they look great doing it.
>>
>>8812486
Looking like itll be a bit less than that but still close.
Man, that's not fashion or nobility. That's common sense. Its something Every man should know.

>>8812571
uh, no sadly he isnt above us standards.Yes he actualy took the time to try to get garb, but he looks silly and ridiculous. This is the bottom level of US garb.

>>8812863
it looks like im hearing alot of "just wear it arround" to age it. so, thats what i think ill do. thanks guys!

>>8812884
US larps in a nut shell. Except 90% are poor cringy nerds who have no interest in making the game better.

>>8812772
No its Heresy man. Do not ever wear black leather shoes, and a brown belt, or vise versa. It looks lazy and un-professional. If you show up to a job interview, and the job is worth having. theyll think the same thing.

now, a pouch, or even the cowl is fine. but your belt, should match your shoes, as long as its leather.
>>
>>8812934
oh! and your watch strap should match aswell if its leather.
>>
>>8812808
>Bicolline is thriving after all.
its becoming too big for its playerbase.
the quality of the game is going down fast over the quantity of stuff.
Veterans feel insulted from the reboot and ''serious'' new players only feel as if the game was dumbed down and its not as fun to become ''someone''

The new system works in a way that those who are there at every event have more bonus than those who actually act in the game.

In other words, if you pay and go to every event you get more stuff and you can call yourself a lord or whatever, as opposed to just starting from the bottom and becoming a leader by yourself or by following a kingdom.

>>8812884
Good roleplaying can be found at Bico.
but not all the groups, some people are the ''browns'' no personality, no distinctive colors, nothing particular.
and its okay , not everybody needs to be a great leader or a lord, some people will be happy to figth for one.

Some people never roleplay but will get all motivated if you start roleplaying with them, its just that they never had the chance to do so.

and no...no you should never use an ''accent'' if you roleplay. unless you plan on overacting like i do.

This is a scene from ''Les visiteurs''
a old french movie (never watch the american remake, this is the kind of thing that make people ram plane in their towers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gFwe6HiyFI

Me and my squire have a roleplay like this and its fun as hell to play.
>>
>>8812954
Wow, are we joking about it now?
I thought we only told those jokes when there are no Yanks around...
>>
File: USAUSAUSA.jpg (66KB, 570x498px) Image search: [Google]
USAUSAUSA.jpg
66KB, 570x498px
>>8812954
Damn Commies always crackin jokes. I'll avenge Murica when i come up there to bico one year, just you wait!

now that i think about it, how well received would something like this; go at bico?
>>
>>8812968
Probably not great.
My friend got bitched out for having rubber soles on his period shoes. They take costuming pretty seriously despite the rest of the game.
>>
>>8812569
It's not that I'm afraid to try, it's that my effort is already going into other parts of my costume. I'm handy enough with needle and thread, but I can't make every single piece in time for the next event.
>>
File: 1417612045237.jpg (99KB, 960x642px) Image search: [Google]
1417612045237.jpg
99KB, 960x642px
>>8812934
>uh, no sadly he isnt above us standards
so suddenly things like this stopped existing en mass?

or if that's not the case these are suddenly better than that guys kit?

I mean honestly that guys kit is not a bad one, why are you so angry at him? does he owe you money or something?

I mean yeah sure he can improve it but even the filename says it's just a work in progress.

>>8812827
>A decent looking garb is a serious investment.
guys seriously. Decent doesn't mean best thing ever. Decent means the kind of average that you doesn't have to be ashamed of and has no big problems. It's not a that of a great investment
>>
>>8813015
fair enough but I still vouch for make your own sword holder because the ones you can buy are simply way too overprices as with every leather stuff. And you doesn't even have to make it out of leather if you are better with sewing simply. It's not a real sword after all and you aren't going to be a reenactor
>>
>>8813017
For just one or two costumes, you're right. When you're talking about buying decent costumes for a dozen different types of monsters, with several copies of each, that does get pretty expensive pretty fast, though.
>>
>>8813025
as with everything. I mean who would have thought that buying 10 of something makes it roughly ten times more expensive?
>>
just passing by, I always thought these threads were called hungarian larping and I wondered why it was specifically hungarian

a- anyway bye
>>
>>8813070
you aren't the first one.
I don't know why people think this
>>
>>8812934
>bottom barrel
Post a pic of yourself in garb and we'll be the judge of that.
>>
How do I avoid looking like an edgelord when I larp
>>
>>8813156
well, if you aren't an edgelord most of the time that's enough to avoid looking like one.
But try not to base your enitre stuff on one very specific scenario in hope that if that comes it will be very good but outside of that it won't work at all. And don't pretend that you can do things that you seen in a video game or in a movie but in reality you can't do it. So no triple flip tries if you can't pull it of.
>>
>>8812977
Its period. I was related more to what it represents.

>>8813017
Im sure that does exist. but atleast in the game i participate in we don't have it quite as bad. Definitely no plastic sports gear. And its not that im mad at him. im simply pointing out the flaws with that kit and to exhume what i do not want to look like.

also, in the pic i posted, the guy to the left and behind me is about the worst we have.

>>8813138
i posted a pic two threads ago. ill give another though.
Ignore the fact i look exasperated.
>>
File: IMG_0503.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0503.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8813511
as you can see. my kit is halfway decent, especially with this being my seccond year in.
>>
>>8813515
Well, you certainly have a good kit. Better than the other skyrim wip guy. But even though your outfit is top tier, the other guy feels like mid in comparison. Sorry. [spoiler]you look way better than a certain fucking clown, though, so don't feel bad at all
[/spoiler]
>>
>>8813511
Where did you get that sword? That is one sweet sword.
>>
>>8813582
I just want to make sure i do it right. The standard is set high by the actual garb in the game itself, so if you don't do it 100% perfect, or above the standard it is bound to look like a cheap replica. and i don't want that. Thank you by the way! it means alot. Im trying my best to set an example for the people in my game, Hopefully good garb catches on.

and if you like my kit a fellow Larpthread fag made it. Caer lolita, im not sure if she's still arround, but she stated she doesn't like making period garb. If you really need something though, it might be worth getting into contact with her. She did an awesome job.

>>8813587
My buddy Alric made it. He's currently in the UK studying some graves and artifacts for work. He should be back sometime this summer though.

Another good Foam Armorer is Gorg the Blacksmith. He has a shop on etsy of really good quality stuff. If you need a dicksword i recommend him.
>>
>commission a really expensive, personalized outfit for my character a while back
>get to wear it to 3 events
>then my character permadied

God fucking dammit. I sunk a lot of money into this thing, what am I supposed to do now? Say my new guy just mysteriously has the same clothing?
>>
File: DSCN0120.jpg (440KB, 1031x773px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0120.jpg
440KB, 1031x773px
>>8812569
Yes, this pleases me. Have a mask.
>>
How do you all carry around your water in a LARP?
>>
>>8813879
Our camp usually has a water carrier (usually a healer with strong arms) if we're going far from camp, but we're usually close enough to just walk back to camp.

For personal carry, just get a canteen. Be warned- water is heavy.
>>
>>8813653
Are any of the parts of the garb non-specific? Like shirt, pants, etc?

My suggestion is to use the most non-specific parts of the garb along with new accessories/top pieces. Then as people forget your old character, phase the other parts in over time. In future, get garb that is primarily base/non-specific items with personalized/customized items over the top.

That really sucks though, anon. Hope your next character does better.

>>8813156
Don't be an edgelord. If you're new, wear generic/normal garb. Don't go for cliche/cringy/'super epic' backstories and characters, instead go for more down to earth scenarios. Don't pretend you can do stuff that you can't. Play to your bodytype and attractiveness level. Don't shit on other people out of turn. Figure out who is the dramallama(s) in your group and avoid them.
>>
>>8813931
What is play to your body type/ attractiveness level. I feel like this is just asking to be pretensions, no?
>>
>>8813954
....No?
I mean, if you're a huge guy who can't walk without wheezing, you're not going to be a sneaky guy who can squeeze through tight spaces. If you're a tiny skinny guy, you're not going to be Ulgfric the Unstoppable, master of the suplex.
Same thing goes for attractiveness, don't play above what you actually are. You don't want to be the guy who is 'irresistible' and a dashing roguish gentleman when you're 3/10 at best.

Obviously you can play the doublecross- if you're fat you can play a fat guy who *believes* he's a great rogue, or a 3/10 that thinks he's hot stuff. That can be a lot of fun if pulled off correctly, but since anon is asking how not to be an edgelord I assume they aren't at the skill level to pull that off yet.

Play to your strengths, rather than pretending your weaknesses aren't there. Being self-aware is pretty important in LARP because of the 'live action' part of it.
>>
>>8813879
Plastic bottle made to look like wine skin? They're dirt cheap and food safe.

You can get a real skin, but it's an ecosystem. If it spoils your water will make you sick. It is therefore not food safe for amerifats but perfectly fine for 3rd world desert dwellers. A skin needs soaking for a night before use. It keeps water cool even on hot days. And if you drink wine you get an added antiseptic effect.

I use a large glass bottle with a steel seal mechanism holding a plastic plug. It looks good enough and there's no combat at the event. Don't bring glass to a field of battle.
>>
>>8813965
>plastic bottle made to look like wineskin

How do i make this
>>
>>8813931
There's some generic bits, but the big piece was a surcoat. A big, fancy surcoat with custom embroidery, fancy fabrics, and all that jazz.
>>
File: my-988893.png (212KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
my-988893.png
212KB, 350x500px
>>8813968
You buy it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H289HRU/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/278-5566023-4828030?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=10SQZ0JX80ZN83CNJWB1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B00BCYD56E

pic related is the luxury version for $40
>>
>>8813964
Ahh! i see what you mean now. that makes much more sense.
>>
Im new. Where do I start looking for larping groups in LA? aside from google I honestly have no second hand advice or info on these groups.
>>
>>8813985
Good luck. Anticipate travel.
Check FB. It's evil inc., but apparently it's the only way to find events.
>>
>>8813985
Google it, or search on Facebook. Anticipate trying several games before you find one you like. The only game I have heard of in LA is a largeish Dystopia Rising game, which is post-apoc. A lot of DR games are no good, but some of them are okay. I think there are some more games closer to San Diego.

Failing that, be prepared to drive up to San Francisco.
>>
>>8813988
>>8813992
I look into your suggestions, thanks guys. Appreciate it
>>
File: 1291294814429.jpg (30KB, 437x582px) Image search: [Google]
1291294814429.jpg
30KB, 437x582px
So a DAY before this month's LARP, our room mate's coworker fucks him right in the ear by fluking out and making him have to work over the weekend. The poor sod.
At least I won't be alone all weekend, I guess.
>>
>>8814030
Kannst Du auch nicht hin?
>>
>>8812827
>You can get a quality gaming PC for that kind of money.

https://www.mytholon.com//product_info.php?products_id=2317&cPath=2_12&osCsid=8c7f8d4b407c1bc29da4dee1ace5ae6a

Shirt, 21.90

https://www.mytholon.com//product_info.php?products_id=4988&cPath=2_11&osCsid=8c7f8d4b407c1bc29da4dee1ace5ae6a

Pants, not the cheapest either, 49.90

http://www.decathlon.ie/all-sports/horse-riding/rider-equipment-clothing/horse-riding-boots/c-67499-joao-horse-riding-boots-calf-size-m-black.html

Perfectly acceptable boots, 54.87

https://www.mytholon.com//product_info.php?products_id=2629&cPath=2_12&osCsid=8c7f8d4b407c1bc29da4dee1ace5ae6a

Tunic, 19.90

https://www.mytholon.com//product_info.php?products_id=3459&cPath=2_12&osCsid=8c7f8d4b407c1bc29da4dee1ace5ae6a

Tabard, 29.90

https://www.mytholon.com//product_info.php?products_id=6331&cPath=1_99&osCsid=8c7f8d4b407c1bc29da4dee1ace5ae6a

Gambeson, 69.90

https://www.mytholon.com//product_info.php?products_id=3158&cPath=1_101&osCsid=8c7f8d4b407c1bc29da4dee1ace5ae6a

Padded coif, 17.90

https://www.mytholon.com//product_info.php?products_id=3756&cPath=1_56&osCsid=8c7f8d4b407c1bc29da4dee1ace5ae6a

Chainmail, 99.90

https://www.mytholon.com//product_info.php?products_id=130&cPath=&osCsid=8c7f8d4b407c1bc29da4dee1ace5ae6a

Chainmail coife, 34.90

Now, this is chosen very liberally, since "decent" would mean just having the upper 3, which total for 126.67 (and still most people don't have this). Since that seemed ridiculously low, I went apeshit and bought the whole sh'bang of what you could reasonably need, barring weapons and shields since I don't know the rulesystems. Hell, depending on the rules, even the armour is superfluous, which brings it to a stunning 176.47.
_With_ armour it totals to 399.07. Take some leatherwork with that and you might end up breaking 500, and you can still scrimp on some pieces, or make basic clothes yourself.
>>
>>8814053
>>8812827

If you can find me a current gen gaming pc for that kind of money, I would sincerely appreciate it if you point me in the right direction, because my current setup is around 7 years old.
I wouldn't even mind putting it together formparts, either.
>>
>>8814053
>https://www.mytholon.com//product_info.php
> Welcome, Please Sign In
nty

The prices seem low. At least double them, especially for boots and armour. Maybe you have an incredibly great value supplier, more likely it's an incredibly cheap one.

I got my kit from bargain bins over 3 years. It features no armour or weps. It's still well above $500. And it's nothing fancy.

And I hope this helps
http://pcbuildsonabudget.com/best-gaming-pc-build-under-500-dollars
>>
File: 1252064409279.jpg (35KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
1252064409279.jpg
35KB, 554x439px
>>8814034
Soziale Angststoerung. Ich bin EINMAL gegangen... Hab den Samstag damit verbracht in meiner Kabine vor stress zu heulen.

YAY!
>>
>>8814058

The boots are quite cheap, but it's because they're not larping/historically accurate boots, rather they are contemporary riding boots (which still do look better than combats or sneakers).
The supplier is pretty much the mass produced every man's supplier in western Europe, the Ford Focus of larping gear, you'll see at least one item of clothing, armour or apparel of theirs in the gear of a larper whose been doing it for more than a year, here.

While yes, you can find much better out there, the same can be said about everything, as there's rarely an upper price limit to goods.
I'm just trying to point out that showing up in jeans and a t-shirt with a tabard thrown over it can not be excused by saying the absolute basics (shirt, pants, boots) are outrageously expensive. Mileage may vary in the States, of course, though aside from the armour, it's hard to imagine you can't find them at these prices.

And yes, it does help. Much obliged.
>>
>>8814076
Sheesh! That sounds heavy.

Kann das gut nachvollziehen. Leider ist mein Lösungsansatz in den meisten Staaten da drüben verboten. Aber mal sehen, vielleicht kommen ja alle plötzlich zur Besinnung, wählen Bernie, und dann wird nächstes Jahr das gute Kraut überall legal.

Heißt das, Du gehst nicht mehr zu DR mit Ru?
>>
>>8814079
yeah...
Ehrlich gesagt passt es mir ganz gut, jeden Monat ein Wochenende fuer mich allein zu haben. Dann kann ich voll in SCHAFFE SCHAFFE HAEUSLE BAUE Modus gehen und krieg nen ganzen Schwung an Bestellungen fertig, baue ein regal, oder zwei und koche genug fuer ne ganze woche.
>>
>>8814083
kek

Neuer Katzer?
>>
>>8813026
Well, considering the original statement was about equipping the NPCs at American events, rather than the players...
>>
>>8814103
Do yank events charge anything for taking part?

Over here it's common practise for most larps to charge a fee to take part, mostly to cover cost of site hire, with anything left over spent on props and crew kit. That way the organisers aren't always massively out of pocket, or if they are, it's only until they recoup money spent from tickets.

My 3-4 day events usually cost between £60-£70 which is more than fine for a weekends entertainment.
>>
>>8814058
i got a kit made up for you with tunic, hood, pants, winningas, belt, and period boots for exactly 500, super high quality. id link everything, but apparently its spam. And if you replaced the boots for something modern, you could get chain easy enough.
>>
>>8813511
I see at least three guys on that picture who has way worse costume then the wip cosplayer

>>8814053
I'm pretty sure if you look into it you can get similar stuff way cheaper, or tone it down a bit in some parts.
>>
>>8814594
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaH6v70h3ys
>>
>>8814599
that's nearly the other side of the horse, but with non shit materials acceptable
>>
>>8814594
where. other than the herald in the yellow tabbard.

regardless though. its bottom of the barrell for what its suppost to look like.
>>
>>8814282
My larp does 6-7 events per year at $40-50 per event. I don't know of any larps that don't have an entry charge, and that seems to be one of the cheaper ones.

I've never run an event like that, though, so I couldn't say how the money is spent.
>>
>>8812968
Pretty great.
I would gladly wear one myself.

>>8812977
I have a rubber sole on my period shoes.
Nobody ever told something bad.
but then again i dont hang out with assholes.
so if we think about it.
your friend was just chilling with assholes.

>>8813070
huhuhu

>>8813156
Dont try to be cool or interesting. be interested.
(i have no idea what it means)

>>8813515
i cannot see a problem on this suit, its a good kit you should be proud, be proud now , the concil have spoken.

>>8813653
Yeah but do you like this outfit?
you still have it for other places or just to have a really nice suit.

>>8813879
a gourd.
In battle there is water carrier.
and in camp we pretty much have all hidden water tanks in barrel or stuff like that.

>>8813968
Put the bottle into a fabric bag and tie a knot around the top for the cheap and quick version (helpful if you want to make a lot of waterbottle in case people in your army dont bring theirs during a hot day)

>>8814076
>>8814079
>>8814083
>>8814088
Hey ya there ya'll dangerous foreigner speaking the Hitlerthongue! start speaking white rigth now you pagan cheese eater!

>>8814282
>>8815121
Its pretty much the same price for events here.
it really depends on the larp quality.
i've seen really good but low budget larp at 20$ for a weekend and high budget larp at 70$

Bicolline cost around 300$ for the 7 days.
>>
>>8815338
Hey thanks frenadian, means alot.

Doesnt that Bico cost also include lodge and food tho? or was that just for the American trip i saw?
>>
>>8815460
Bring your own tent, bring your own chow
There's vendors for food, but they aren't free
>>
File: random.jpg (19KB, 236x314px) Image search: [Google]
random.jpg
19KB, 236x314px
>>8815465
guess it was just for the American one. they had like a "voyage north" it looked pretty cool.

anyone have any experience with pouches? i made one myself, but it swings on my bent alot, and id like to get away from that. And all the pouches i see are extremely big. I kinda want mine to be profiled to me. Could anyone post a few pics of good belt pouches that arent super chunky and wont swing arround a ton on a belt?
>>
>>8815531
Let's try that spelling thing one more time...

>>8815487
I like the ones that have a belt loop on the pouch and attached to its bottom on the back, not just the strings tied around the belt because those will swing with each step.
A quality design uses one piece of harder leather for front, bottom, and back, and another piece of soft leather to form the actual vessel of the bag which is nested inside the harder part and only shows its sides.
>>
File: nigger wtf are you doing.jpg (154KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
nigger wtf are you doing.jpg
154KB, 960x640px
>>8815117
I mean these three dudes. I could count the yellow tabard dude too but I don't see enough on the pic about him to judge him. Same with nearly everyone else on the pic, that's why the number is so low.

So if the wip cosplay guy (and I cannot stress enough that's a work in progress pic of a cosplay you are shitting on, not even a fully done larp costume) is the bottom of the barrel I have bad news or you: the guys who are playing with are also the bottom of the barrel.
>>
File: sac.jpg (627KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
sac.jpg
627KB, 2000x1500px
>>8815460
Like >>8815465 said.
the american trip cover everything.
(We make a lot of jokes about 'murikan in here but they actually really know how well to handle a business)

So i went on a big rant about Bico and how they treat the food places.
i even wrote it 2 times but i just wont go there.

>>8815487
thats a pretty big pouch, i use a small pouch for ingame money and a sacoche like pic related for my keys, phone and wallet and/or other useful objects.

>>8815826
what i could never understand is whey they wear this little bandana?
Is this to identify the teams?
or something far ,far worse.
>>
File: 1344544876627.jpg (286KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1344544876627.jpg
286KB, 1024x1536px
>>8815826
>>8815927
You know, I am so glad that the majority of my costuming customers are playing in a post apoc game. It's piss easy to make costumes, since there is no "historically accurate". Hell, the crazier it turns out the more in-genre it is.

Sure, there's still a large range of quality in costumes, but there really isn't any "wrong" way of doing it. (except for pristine gear perhaps and even then, it might be appropriate, depending on the character)
>>
>>8815927
>or something far ,far worse.

Dont google "hankie code". if you value your sanity.
>>
>>8815950
AAAaaand nothing of value was lost.

But seriously why are they using color coded bandana in a larp?

I'm taking some guess

- Teams
- powers
- class
- love for reagan era war movies
>>
>>8815940
trust me, historical stuff is a rabbit-hole of insanity that goes very, very deep...

"no, no, that's 1460's, not 70's. you can tell by the detail of the shape of the filigree leatherwork!"
>>
>>8815961
"My character couldn't afford new clothes for a decade, you git!"
Would be my response...
>>
>>8815961
>that's 1460's, not 70's.
This conversation never happened anywhere in the entire history of reenactment. There were no fashion magazines, there was court. And the fashions from court slowly propagated through letters and stories. No one had pictures to show of models or stars. So unless you attended an event, all you had were vague descriptions.

So there were fashions and innovations, trends, and very dateable clothing features. But they happened in slowly propagating ripples. To date a single piece to a decade only makes sense for a specific court in question. And only for courtiers.
>>
>>8815970
I still say that even if you are a reenactor it's okay if the time frame of your stuff is 20 years. Even 30 years could be totally plausible.

But if you are a larper that is "shit nobody cares about" I mean you COULD care about it but anyone who calls out that can go and fuck themselves. (Then again if it actually looks shit to combine to pieces from different time frames that's another matter)
>>
>>8815826
oh, no i agree. they are the bottom of the barrel. I stated that that was about the worst we had.

black clothes is terrible.

random clothes guy is in garb or he wouldnt be on the field, but i dont know what he has on.

Captain naval tier is fine. Im not seeing the problem. I cant really grill him on garb when hes half nude.

>>8815927
and yeah, the green bandana is to identify team color. there was 4 teams in this battle. Blue, green, yellow, and red. and alot of people so its kind of necessary. I actualy want to get myself headbands of the standard colors made so i don't look like a scrub in the random cut fabric ones.
>>
>>8816093
>Im not seeing the problem.
that, on itself, is one of the problems.
>>
>>8816175

His garb is period pants. it was sunny and around 85 degrees freedom heat units that day. Did men not wear just pants in period times when it was hot out?
>>
>>8816260
well as far as I know they went either fully naked, or without pants into battle,
but just pants that I can't see to be period on that pic especially with that might-be-graves things on it plus the leather (I hope it's leather) arm... whatever, I don't want to call it armor.
Those things summed up, I'm pretty sure never happened in the past.
Especially not on battlefields.
>>
>>8816469
Imma have to side with Shea on this one, m8. A guy with stuff like that could clearly afford a shirt, and is choosing not to simply because it's hot and maybe because he thinks it makes him look hot. While it may not be the best looking, it certainly isn't bottom barrel. And your reasoning for no guy going with arm armor, pants and greaves but no shirt ever ever is pretty flimsy. Also, this shit seems like a fantasy larp, so shit like this doesn't even matter
>>
Why is it that the armour i spend money on i dont use and the shit junk i get for free is the stuff i use?
>>
>>8815950
I carried a red handkerchief in my back pocket for nearly a year before my gay friend told me about hankie code. I haven't stopped carrying it, mind you, because it's stupid--no wonder nobody uses it any more, the amount of misunderstandings it must cause...
>>
>>8816480
then how is a work in progress cosplay is the bottom of the barrel if not giving a fuck isn't?
I'm really interested, honestly. Thats's the whole reason I still talk about this. How is a cosplay that isn't finished yet but clearly someone put time and effort in it and willing to finish it is suddenly bottom of the barrel when little shits out there hitting each other with dickswords in jeans while not wearing a shirt?
I would be REALLY happy if the half finished guy would be the bottom o the barrel, that would mean everyone improved a lot and everyone has an awesome costume.
But that's not the case, and it won't happen for a few decades

Also not wearing shirt doesn't help you in a hot day, except if your only shirt is polyester shit. Not wearing a shirt will also won't make you look better in 99% of the times.
>>
>>8816508

When your garb is clearly drawn from a certain inspiration. In this case Skyrim's Robes of Destruction, you are held to a different standard. You see the original piece is directly what you are comparing the piece too. So when you present yourself in garb which is recognized easily as taken from this base piece, your mind is drawn to the original reference. And unless you present your garb excellently and you surpass the expectation or hit the line exactly, from what was set by the original piece, then you are suddenly sub par. Regardless of on its own the garb does or does not look decent. The standard is to what it should look like. In this pic, we see a picture of an Etzio or whatever cosplay. it looks really shitty. There is a standard set by the actual character, and this representation does not fit it very well. But on its own, it isnt terrible. its the fact that it suppose to look like something else that sets it to be shit garb; bottom of the barrel.

For example, this is why it is so much easier to play a laymens term of something. IF that kit was just a "mage" it might look fine, because there is nothing saying it shouldnt look a certain way. You could argue why something was a certain way. Or if someone is dressed as a pirate(with really shitty garb) so long as they look like a Pirate, they fit the standard. Suddenly, if they are suppost to look like captain morgan from a rum bottle, and they have a basic recognizable garb of it just doon poorly, they now look bad. even if the garb itself isnt half way bad.

well take a look at my own garb now. (this is in theory, my garb isnt taken in reference with anything) My garb, on its own, looks like a pretty decent, albeit basic kit. if suddenly i say that this garb is from some easily recognizable viking, who is a noble with a much fancier, well put together version of my garb, with a different fabric cut and fit. all the sudden i look shitty, even if on my own this garb is decent.
>>
>>8816508
also, i don't know where your pulling that is is a WIP? i don't remember stating it was, but its possible you found him online and he said it was a WIP or something. If that is the case, then i can redact what ive said about it, as its unfair to judge something that isnt finished.

>>8816480
and thank you my friend!
>>
>>8816533
have you looked at the filename of the pic that you posted? it sayis it's a wip. Do a reverse image search and you get the devaint art page too where it is also stated it's a work in progress
>Still unfinished - the trims are incomplete and i'm still missing the hood and arm wraps, but as you can see, everything is coming together rather nicely! I'm very happy with it so far

BUT!

I still say even his half finished costume is way better then the three guys I pointed out on your pic. even with the modern pants.

>>8816530
no shit?
And yet he clearly put more effort and time in his costume than a lot of guys in a random US larp who doesn't want to look like someone specific. And just because of this he is already better than them without looking at the other details.
The problem is you are mistaking a bad garb with a garb that is bad for a specific thing, namely cosplaying someone specific. He might be bad for cosplaying a skyrim wizard, I'm not the person to judge that, but for larping in that costume? it's totally okay and well within the average/decent parameters
>>
>>8816553
Well, i won't say im not biased as i plan on doing that same mage outfit but hopefully a whole lot better. You arent wrong though. there are definitely alot of worse people at US larps. Since it is a WIP and i didnt realise it, ill redact what i said and agree with you.

Hopefully the US gets better. One step at a time though sadly.
>>
>>8816508
Different anon, I agree with you that the WIP is pretty decent, but I also agree with him that the shirtless guy is not as bad as you're making him out to be. Going shirtless, especially in a larp where you don't strictly need the protection of armor and don't have to emulate a particular time period, is a perfectly valid stylistic choice. Just because it happens to be less effort doesn't make it a bad costume.

Also, point of note, he's not wearing jeans and his sword looks like a proper boffer, not a dicksword.
>>
There is one valid reason for taking off your shirt in public: not getting it dirty. But it is an instant admission of dirt poor planning, not having a shirt packed to change into after doing dirty work.

Any flunky who enjoys running around half naked when there is no need should be knocked out, thrown in the trunk, and dropped off at the closest gay strip joint for indentured servitude ad infinitum.

It is a serious sign of lack of character, inability to rise beyond one's own pitiful perspective, or complete disregard for the sensibilities of everyone else. It's the equivalent of carrying your last dump around in a ziploc bag to proudly show it to everyone you meet. Yes it is normal to poop, no it doesn't harm anyone as long as the bag remains sealed. But it is phenomenally narcissistic and completely lacks any boundaries of social interaction at the most basic level. It assumes everyone is on this world to admire you for what you like about you, no matter how misguided that may be, and no matter how it completely ignores that everyone else manages to express their lowest impulses in private.

And that doesn't even consider what would happen if we extended this social freedom across gender lines, yet.
>>
File: beach.jpg (222KB, 640x406px) Image search: [Google]
beach.jpg
222KB, 640x406px
>>8817179
Yeah man, fuck all these assholes in pic related, clearly shoving around their uncovered upper bodies around because they're so egotistic.

Oh wait, that's retarded.

You're just some fucking nerd so insecure about his body you try and make everyone else feel bad about it.

Protip: It isn't working.
>>
>>8817238
It's a beach, person who uses 'retarded', the social convention allows it. And as you can see, it's everyone, not just one edgelord.

But I don't really believe you're that stupid. I think you understand perfectly well and are just looking for a pointless confrontation, ad hominem and all.
>>
>>8817249
While we're dealing with fallacies, how about your equivalence of going shirtless with shoving bags of poop in people's faces? False equivalence right there. And speaking of social conventions, yhe guy were talking about is going shirtless at a LARP. Maybe he's a barbarian, or a gladiator, or some shit like that. He's not walking around an office building, he's playing pretend with a bunch of other dudes also playing pretend. Is it a little narcissistic? Sure. But it's nowhere near the sin you make it out to be.
>>
>>8817261
See, now that's an actual opinion. It's wrong, but it's honest.

No, the social conventions at a LARP event do not allow for nudity. I'm sure there's games like this but I'm not going.

And would you feel the same about an amazon? And for the sake of discussion let's make her 40, 200lbs, and saggy.

Wanna play a barbarian? Wear a vest. Belly button is okay, nipple is not. Will I throw you out? Hell no, you're just being a dick. Will I have trouble taking you serious again ever? I'm afraid so.
>>
File: me.jpg (61KB, 603x960px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
61KB, 603x960px
What are your thoughts on Sallet helmets?
sorry for bad picture.
>>
>>8817379
sexy as fuck/10
>>
>>8817156
I was talking generally, but yeah that specific guy doesn't wear jeans he is wearing something that pass as pants and studded shit whatever. I can't make it out on that blurry pic. although I'm entirely sure he doesn't have a dicksword but again a lot of them do.

Now about being shirtless: Yes it's a valid stylistic choice. Also it's a shit stylistic choice.
It happens to be shit for several reasons some are stylistic some are functionally and one of the reason is also that it's less effort in a sense of not giving a single fuck about how you look like.

As I said 99% of the times it's not a good idea. Yes there are a few people who can pull it of with the proper costumes etc, but generally speaking it's nearly never those guys who do this.

First of all let's see functionality: if it's a hot day taking off your shirt just because you feel hot is not a good choice with the possible exception of you want to get tanned (but that's a non issue on a larp) or if you have a shirt made out of synthetic materials but even then it's arguable.
So let's assume a linen shirt. or at least 50% linen shirt.
If you have it on the sun doesn't heat you directly which is good, especially if the shirt is brightly colored, but even if it's dark colored you better with it on than in direct sunlight. Secondly it distributes sweat more or less evenly and if you sweat through it the sweat will evaporate from it more or less evenly. That's a good cooling effect on the long run.
Plus it's always better to have your shirt on if you gonna get hit with things, with a possible exception of you being a BDSM fan.
>>
File: virag016.jpg (808KB, 722x1000px) Image search: [Google]
virag016.jpg
808KB, 722x1000px
>>8817397
Now let's see what does it tell about you if you go shirtless in a larp from stylistic viewpoint.
What does it add that clothing doesn't?
People can see your skin and fat/muscles/whatever you have.
But let's face it, most people's body aren't interesting. and for way more people it's true that I rather pay them to wear cloths or start hitting them with a padded stick until they change their mind on their clothing choices.
You need to pull of some serious body painting or something similar to be interesting.
Or need to have an actually good body which again most of the time isn't the case. In my experience of 10+ years of larping in various countries the huge majority of people who went shirtless where the ones that you doesn't want to see shirtless.

What else does it say about you?
Well your character either couldn't afford a shirt or aren't allowed to wear one or chooses to not wear it in a world where the norm is wearing one.
If you couldn't afford it you are lower then peasants, the the lowest of beggars probably.
If you aren't allowed you are some very lowly slave
If you choose to not wear it you are technically some kind of deviant. Now in this case the question arise: does this choice you made make you look better than the rest? Statistically speaking, no. If you don't have a good body, huge muscles or interesting body paint, whatever, then you will be less interesting and ultimately worse then the other guys around you who have at least a simple shirt.

But on the other hand with a shirt you can have colors, you can show off your wealth, you can have pictures drawn or sewn on it, you can have heraldic symbols or simple motifs on it. The shirt on itself could be interesting. And here is the thing: you can have other clothing on it as well which makes more and more interesting your look stylistic speaking.
Show me one shirtless guy and I will show 10 more clothed one who looks better.

tl;dr: if you shirtless you are an idiot and you look shit
>>
>>8817379
not as good as kettle hats/10
>>
>>8817269
Social convention at your LARP, bro.
Different LARPs have different conventions.
Stop being a weird ass puritan.
>>
>>8817650
So women go tits out at your event?
When is it?
>>
>>8817657
That's not how it works and you know it.
>>
>>8815970
>This conversation never happened anywhere in the entire history of reenactment.

The funny thing is, I _have_ sat with my customers, going back and forth over details of leather-work tooling, over several hours of conversation, sending photographs back and forth, discussing if the object was made locally to them, or if it were made elsewhere and exported, and how old the object was, at the time its being represented, to design the right sort of level of detail into it.

more often with 16th C and later, but a few medieval ones too.
>>
>>8817406
OR OR its hot.

you just sound insecure.

theres a million reasons to not have a shirt
>swimming
>its hot
>game of shirts vs skins
>dont want to get it sweaty

it doesnt matter if your "lower than a peasent" maybe its their game? You play a noble yet your garb isn't even trimmed, and your armor doesnt cover your lower half. Im pretty sure you arent even in wool either.

I'm not sure what your getting at, but its entirely common and culturally appropriate to not have a shirt, Especially on a hot day. Infact it was so hot, we had someone die on the field due to heat stroke that week. So im not really sure what your issue is. Do people not take their shirts off in Hungary when its hot and they are being Athletic?
>>
>>8815970
>what are drawings

Though I do agree that the only people who nitpicked were courtiers/the rich.
>>
>>8817894
Can you specifically die of heatstroke next time around? With or without a shirt, I don't care.

Seriously though, I get that you are one of these people who get off on exhibitionism or intimidation tactics, that's your problem. But don't tell us all we're strange because you don't conform to the standards of decent society.

When I'm working in my garden I take my shirt off. When I get visitors I put it back on again. No shirt, no shoes, no service. Ever seen that? Think that was there to keep you down? No, it's there so people can enjoy their dinner without having to avoid looking at your hairy nips.
>>
>>8817922
>decent Society
>hungary

SOOO you take your shirt off in the garden. So, during physical activity you get hot and take your shirt off. This isn't some fine dinning outing with the family. This isn't a store or anywhere public. This is a larp, filled with physical exertion outdoors on a hot day. No different than you in your garden. once again i don't see the issue.

I don't know why your being an such asshole when people are simply dis-agreeing with you.
>>
>>8817894

>you just sound insecure.
>You play a noble yet your garb isn't even trimmed, and your armor doesnt cover your lower half. Im pretty sure you arent even in wool either.

really? What are be going next? Should I start dissecting your equipment too while posting proof of mine? Or just start namecalling each other? Or will there be threats of violence?

Anyway yes there are a million reasons to not wear a shirt like fucking, or diving, or going under the knife. But we aren't talking about those.
And if their game is to look shit then you should say that they look good regardless.

It's not common to not have a shirt in the huge majority of everyday life when you meet other people. Beach is one of those exceptions, larping isn't.
As I said if your shirt isn't synthetic it's better for you to leave it on. I fought in 40 Celsius hot days in half plate and after the fight I didn't needed to get off my shirt, neither my doublet.
>>
>>8817960
maybe he didn't want to get his shirt slathered in sweat? Just because you are capable to fighting in plate does not mean others should be forced too. in most contact sports where grappling is allowed, boxing, mma, wrestling, sumo wrestling, etc etc you are shirtless. This is an athletic Not wearing a shirt doesnt suddenly make you a disgusting swine.

And your more than welcome to dissect my equipment. i strive to look better.
>>
>>8817951
Hungarian LARPfag uses his name. You are talking to two people. And a bunch more are lurking. You're really making an ass of yourself in front of a crowd here.

>>8818006
No shit, Sherlock. What it does make you is someone with a poor sense of boundaries.
>>
>>8818012
Then im an asshole. I still don't see the issue of not wearing a shirt if its hot out. Obviously i wear my garb. im not going to berate the guy and say his garb is shit when he's not wearing a shirt. You don't know what his garb is.
>>
>>8818006
>maybe he didn't want to get his shirt slathered in sweat?
that's one of the shittiest excuse to take down your shirt if you go into a fight.

>Just because you are capable to fighting in plate does not mean others should be forced too
nobody is forcing them to fight in plate. I just simply say that it's perfectly possible to fight your shirt on in hot weather so the "it's hot" argument isn't really strong.

> in most contact sports where grappling is allowed, boxing, mma, wrestling, sumo wrestling, etc etc you are shirtless
yes, for an entirely different reason. especially in grappling sports, you should know that.

>This is an athletic Not wearing a shirt doesnt suddenly make you a disgusting swine.
I never said it will make you a swine. I'm saying it will never look as good as being clothed with a very few exception when you are really fit.

>And your more than welcome to dissect my equipment. i strive to look better.
I will do that when it won't look like I try to attack your argument with that.

>>8818020
im not going to berate the guy and say his garb is shit when he's not wearing a shirt. You don't know what his garb is.
... If you look at someone while he has his garb on him you will know what is garb is. That's the point of looking. With your eyes and everything.

>>8817951
>>decent Society
>>hungary
And here I was thinking there is a hope for a civil argument, but alas I was contradicted again...
>>
>>8818043
you know what, You're right. I am being a pretensions shit. I apologize. I should be more Mature.

you're right, being un-clothed doesn't look as good as a clothed opponent. I don't dis-barge you on this. It is entirely possible to fight with clothes on like a Majority of the field, even if its hot. I'm simply arguing that his "Garb" isnt the worst on the field, when all there is to judge is his pants and lack of a shirt.

Once again i apologize for being condescending. Occasionally my age shows and i haven't quite learned how disfigure this part of my personality.
>>
>>8817951
>yank
>shitting on Hungary
Most of Eastern Europe, Hungary included, has less homicides per capita annually than the US, UK or France. And they don't have a clown running for president either. Glass houses and all.
>>
>>8818083
less GDP per capita too though, by nearly double.
>>
>>8818083
No, in Hungary the 'tea party' crowd is already in power. And homicides in the US are crazy, so there's a big gap to UK and France, and then maybe a little step to Hungary, I haven't seen those numbers.

>>8818090
Wait, what are we even talking about?
>>
>>8818105
About how the US IS STRONK CAW CAW MOTHERFUCKERS
>>
>>8818106
USAUSAUSAUSA
>>
>>8817707
Yeah it actually is. Not like at all times though.
>>8817657
Mostly at the swimming hole on the campsite.
Starts up again in May?

On a serious note, tits out doesn't make sense. They flop around and make it awkward as fuck to fight. Dudes don't have that problem
>>
>>8818156
>guys with their shirts off is equivalent to women with their shirts off

Yeah nah
>>
File: snap-00123.png (321KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
snap-00123.png
321KB, 720x404px
>>8818123
>>
>>8818198
yes pls bb.
>>
>>8818176
I wasn't talking about it from a sexual/societal norms perspective.
Just a practical one.
>>
>>8817269
>shirtless guy = nudity

Holy shit, go back to the Victorian age. He's playing a goddamn character, do you insist on going clean-shaven as a dwarf because "beards are unhygienic and a sign of degeneracy?"
>>
>>8817397
>>8817406
>my opinions > yours

Nah. You're getting really Gropey about this, are you feeling okay? Normally I don't see you get this bad about insisting your standards are the correct ones.
>>
File: 418warPT77L._SL500_AA280_.jpg (11KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
418warPT77L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
11KB, 280x280px
>>8809986
>>8809989
>>8809992
Looks great!

>>8810024
>>8810238
>>8810648
>>8810879
Nerf is top, but for maximum cool points and ascetics, go Buzzbee.... Pic related. Rack the slide, fire, and rack it again to eject the spent shell.

IMPERIUM GLORIAM.

>>8812023
That pouch is technically good, but it looks like moldy ass ascetically.

>>8812135
Cribbing off of well known series and inserting it into an unrelated setting is lame (Exception: The game setting is set in a preestablished world like the Elder Scrolls or Witcher games Hungarian has played in). Try to be original, with minor influences rather than obvious cribbing.

>>8812477
He's in his kitchen, son. Its probably a WIP shot.

>>8812480
Otzi also got murder and left in the mountains. Take that as you will.

>>8812482
Use what you got, when you have it.

>>8812954
>Bicolline
Slaanesh soon, brother! We shall bring it back to glory...

>>8812968
It would be fine.

>>8812977
Whats wrong with it? Its historically accurate and a period blazon. BotN has a stricter historic standard than Bico.

>My friend got bitched out for having rubber soles on his period shoes.
Nigga, what you smoking? There are people with boot and cleat tread at Bico.

>>8813156
Avoid wearing all black with too many high-polish silver accessories. If it looks like a neckbeard's DnD character would wear it with a katana and trenchcoat, just say no.
>>
>>8813879
>>8813922
>>8813965
>>8813968
I reskinned a plastic lined bota bag from walmart. Even the stock leather cover isn't THAT bad, and it mentions use as a LARP and recreation item right in the description.

As a necessity to health, with the safety factor of a washable, shatterproof hidden plastic liner.... You could do worse for $10.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-2-Liter-Bota-Wine-Bag/11962970?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=11962970&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=d2ae2110-be8a-499b-9ce2-8e2205bb0d3a&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=13848620&parent_anchor_item_id=13848620&guid=681ae084-ed3e-435d-bca7-37caf38c57b6&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Pic is mine. I used better leather.

>>8814053
Kult of Athena. Get dressed for battle clothing. Trust me.

>>8814282
>Do yank events charge anything for taking part?

Typically, yes. Some groups like legend give a "free first game" card out at demos and such.

>>8815950
Polkadots with wine stains.

>>8815960
Much like how we'd use colored tape or decales on helms to mark sides in the SCA.

>>8815961
Depends on the culture, local and social class. The Irish are an extreme example, being a mishmash of "It was good enough two centuries ago, its good enough now!" and modern.

A decade is NOTHING to the lower classes and less metro locales.

>>8815970
>>8815982
Thirding this statement

>>8816260
>His garb is period pants.
What period, per say, is he portraying? If you defended it with "He's a fantasy barbarian", then I would agree.

Historically, you were much more likely to go pantsless than topless.

>it was sunny and around 85 degrees freedom heat units that day.

Hi. Im from Louisiana and fight in late 15thC kit. That argument is invalid.

>>8816480
>While it may not be the best looking, it certainly isn't bottom barrel.

I'll agree, its fine fantasy barbarian for larp. "Its period" is BS though.
>>
File: 20160117_212016.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160117_212016.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>8818705
Doh! Forgot pic.
>>
>>8816486
Because reasons. Pass on what you don't use, and it will be used by those who need it.

>>8817238
Go back to your bridge, troll.

>>8817379
As is mentioned every time you post this pics, sallets are best helm, but yours looks funky.

>>8817407
Please stop being ignorant, peasant.

>>8817269
>>8817650
>>8817657
>>8818176
>>8818239
>>8818292
I go to plenty of historic events with nudity in the right situations. Hell, Pennsic has had the "Classic" and "family" bathing streams/swimming holes for 50 years.

Women breast feed. People get naked to bathe/swim. Keeping clothing on small children is a skill. Its not a nudist colony, but people don't flip their shits at a nipple.

Then again, where I am from, tits are tits and we don't have to make it sexual. We have no laws against women being topless like men.
>>
>>8818692
I love the idea of shells. Got myself the shelled nerf shotgun and its hella fun to play with.
But it a larp, shells become fucking annoying. Especially if you play at night at all. Losing a dart isn't a big deal, but shells are harder to replace.
>>
>>8818750
http://www.amazon.com/Buzz-Bee-Toys-Refill-Mustang/dp/B0014DP7KA
>>
>>8818756
Thats a lot less than I thought but its 100 darts for a buck or two for nerf.
>>
File: 1258578810509.jpg (266KB, 1074x806px) Image search: [Google]
1258578810509.jpg
266KB, 1074x806px
>>8818764
Then save it for when looks matter. Commisarial BLAM!ing and such.
>>
>>8818692
>Avoid wearing all black with too many high-polish silver accessories. If it looks like a neckbeard's DnD character would wear it with a katana and trenchcoat, just say no.

This is actually really good advice. Having a proper color to give your outfit some distinction goes a long way.
>>
>>8817261
>Maybe he's a barbarian, or a gladiator, or some shit like that.

Aside from a handful of tribes in tropic areas, I can't imagine any barbarians that went around shirtless in their day to day. And even they enjoy wearing cotton clothes when they can get them, they just lacked the ability to make them.

Gladiators went into the arena dressed like that so they could bleed more clearly. Top strategy when going into war.

>inb4 celts and gauls

Skyclad warriors were a rare ritual sacrifice and more or less expected to die in battle.
>>
>>8817707

I'd find a woman with bare tits less offensive than your hairy nipples, dude. Wear a shirt. Otherwise don't complain when the slap of a latex when stings your pasty white skin, or you can't chase me because undergrowth scratches.
>>
>>8817894
>I'm not sure what your getting at, but its entirely common and culturally appropriate to not have a shirt

Belgium here. No.

Beaches, open lakes and outdoor pools have shirts warning you to put a shirt on when you leave the premises. Running tracks and outdoor gyms have signs saying you need to keep a shirt on.
>>
>>8817951
>No different than you in your garden

Garden's private, larp is a public area.
>>
>>8818006

Speaking as someone who does kickboxing, you really, really, _really_ should stop comparing larp as an "athletic" activity to fighting sports, let alone contact sports. It's embarassing for the both of us.

No, seriously. At the most you should compare it to a light jog, for which most people do keep a shirt on.
>>
>>8818063
>I'm simply arguing that his "Garb" isnt the worst on the field, when all there is to judge is his pants and lack of a shirt.

His whole image is worse then most of the others. He isn't the literal bottom but on the pic he was among the worst three.
As I described previously his lack of shirt doesn't make his looks better aesthetically. It doesn't add anything positive to his whole look.
It could have been saved by the pants but on that photo you can't really see much about it and thus he is placed in the bottom category.

>Once again i apologize for being condescending. Occasionally my age shows and i haven't quite learned how disfigure this part of my personality.
The main problem wasn't that you are condescending. The main problem was that you tried to use that as an argument.

>>8818299
I never hid the fact that I like larping and I have very strong opinions about it.
Feel free to disagree if you want or argue with me but I don't remember that I said that only my standards are the only correct ones.
>>
>>8819760
The entire basis for your argument that shirtless guy looks like shit is based on your standards being the correct ones. Like, most of the time I agree with you, but you're just being pigheaded about this. All your arguments against it are hypotheticals that don't apply to the guy in question: "Not wearing a shirt CAN look bad if you're not fit," but he is fit. "It CAN BE lazy and doesn't tell you anything about the character," well he's pretty clearly going for a barbarian look, so I'd say it communicated that part of the character pretty well. While there are certainly other ways he could have done it that would have required more time/effort/money, I don't think a vest or the like would have done it any better. Hell, most of the time a barbarian character wearing a vest ends up just looking like Shrek.

If this was a historical larp, I would probably agree with you. But in fantasy, ridiculous costuming is pretty normal, and frankly the fact that it's not giant WoW pauldrons, or Pirate Shirt And Renn Faire Vest #24601, puts his garb way above most fantasy costuming imo.
>>
>>8819152
you know that full contact games exist, right?
I know some larpers who are into reenactment and historical swordfighting too, and you fucking bet that shit's more difficult than your throwing punches around
>>
>>8819938
First of all we are arguing about if something looks good or not. Of course that I will be subjective because what looks good will be always subjective.

Secondly I think one of the problem is that we arguing about a half covered blurry picture and we both imagine a lot to it. So here is an idea: let's find a better pic of that guy where we can see more and continue this?
>>
>>8819980
Dude!

You are talking to someone seeking our blessing to go topless at an event. There's nothing you can tell him.

Just stop.

What's your next event? Any new gear? Projects over the winter? What does a Landsknecht wear in snow?
>>
>>8819152
As someone who also does kick boxing, well Muay Thai but w/e, I work up a good sweat in my larp. I tend to exaggerate movements and flourish everything. Plus I run away a lot.
Come summer I sweat buckets.
>>
File: hofkleiderbuch-1512-14.jpg (113KB, 541x800px) Image search: [Google]
hofkleiderbuch-1512-14.jpg
113KB, 541x800px
>>8819997
In two weeks, and my cloth still isn't ready although if everything goes right I can finish my chaperon this week.

And they wear theirregular clothing plus waffenrocks and such (there is a semi-retarded poncho-coat looking something that has a few sources too but not much)
>>
>>8819973
>this whole post.
No. Dude, please. Save some face.
>>
>>8820011
Those boots look really funky.
Do you pull them up for riding?
>>
>>8820023
yep those guys are all cavalry. Basically every knee high boot is for riding

But here is a non cavarly guy with a waffenrock.
It could work in summer too if it's not too hot or in a colder night but works in winter too. That's the beauty of wool and linen, it breaths a lot so it's good for wam and for cold weather
>>
File: 1243650101380.jpg (73KB, 403x597px) Image search: [Google]
1243650101380.jpg
73KB, 403x597px
>>8820023
Yup. Later, bucket top boots (think generic pirate boots) are a fashion based on folding your riding boots down. Kind of like how high heels evolved from riding shoes.
>>
File: DSC_0100.jpg (851KB, 2848x4288px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0100.jpg
851KB, 2848x4288px
and here is a real life pic about two guys in waffenrock. Although those are thinner versions that are more fit to wear in summer, but basically they can survive a mild winter in those too
>>
File: 1449298462213.png (287KB, 368x469px) Image search: [Google]
1449298462213.png
287KB, 368x469px
>>8819980
That seems reasonable to me.

>>8819997
I have no desire to go shirtless. Even if I did, a couple of people online I'm never going to meet are the last people I would need a "blessing" from. You should probably stop projecting your insecurities about your body onto everyone else.
>>
>>8819973
Good lord. Please don't tell me you actually believe this. Even rookie MMA fighters, for example are in a better condition athletically than most historical fighters, and any outliers there are likely beaten by picking literally any pro fighter.
>>
>>8820046
Fuck me, Lemmy's still alive!
>>
>>8819152
Its a full contact larp. Grappling is allowed. full force hits, shield bashing the works. you just cant go for the head/neck.

>>8819147
Event was a private area.

>>8819980
I have no clue who that random is. just some Random, the focus wasnt to be on random shitty normies who put up almost no effort in the backround tho..

>>8819997
no one here wants to go shirtless.

>>8820469
lold

anyways i say we just drop the shirtless argument. We all agree there are certain situations where its acceptable, and we just don't know enough about random shirtless man.
>>
>>8820581
>muh full contact
>>
>>8820684
its good fun. I couldnt really get into pulling hits and not shield bashing. I think thats what makes it fun to me.
>>
>>8819938
>but he is fit.

Sagging nipples, no muscles and a muffin top. People thinking this passes for fit is the reason most larpers should just keep their shirt on.
>>
>>8820708
Explains the need for those shit looking weapons.
>>
File: 16.png (36KB, 1195x564px) Image search: [Google]
16.png
36KB, 1195x564px
>>8820581
>anyways i say we just drop the shirtless argument.
that's not the /tg/ way.

also
>Its a full contact larp
>you just cant go for the head/neck.
>>
File: DSC_0037.jpg (817KB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0037.jpg
817KB, 4288x2848px
>>8820469
keep in mind that the pic is from 2015 summer, although I hope as fuck that the guy will be there this year's Drachenfest
>>
File: helena.jpg (538KB, 789x947px) Image search: [Google]
helena.jpg
538KB, 789x947px
Hey guys whats goin.... AH FUCK AGAIN!?
>>
File: 1433517863392.png (106KB, 683x470px) Image search: [Google]
1433517863392.png
106KB, 683x470px
>>8820851
Hey, you're the one checkin' out some dude's nipples and muffin top, not me.
>>
>>8821671
yeah but we also wear tight pants and sometimes skirts so it doesn't counts
>>
Hey Gropey, you going to Ice Castles?
>>
Quick help guys,

what is a serpentine blade dagger called?
The kind cultists use for human sacrifice and such.
>>
>>8821838
sacrificial dagger will give you a few useful google results but it doesn't have a real name
>>
>>8821847
Thanks
>>
>>8821847
>>8821838
It's called a Kris, an Indonesian dagger with the wavey blade.
>>
File: Semar_Kris_(alt)_3.jpg (1MB, 2958x1932px) Image search: [Google]
Semar_Kris_(alt)_3.jpg
1MB, 2958x1932px
>>8821860
>>8821847
Outhistoried!
>>
>>8821874
>>8821860
well yeah, I'm not big on non european stuff. I thought he meant the standard fantasy daggers with a flamberg blade
>>
>>8821879
>flamberg
You old Doppelsöldner.
>>
>>8821882
well, it's the name of the blade type not the sword type, contrary to popular belief. There are even flamberg rapiers
>>
>>8820708
At your "full contact" larp, when was the last time someone broke a bone? Is there an on staff medical staff to reset bones, suture wounds, etc? Do you have to sign waivers listing next of kin and releasing the event from any possibility of lawsuit should you die?

If you answered no to any of these questions, your larp is not full contact.
>>
Just got home from an event- what the hell happened here?

>>8822380
And even if it did, it still wouldn't be full contact.
>>
File: 1338615697496.jpg (199KB, 537x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1338615697496.jpg
199KB, 537x1000px
>>8821831
I really can't, anon. I can't go into detail, but im dealing with some legal shit right now. That, and the possible snow storm this weekend.

>>8821888
Pic related.

>>8822380
Look, don't try to sound badass. "Muh full contact" is a fucking joke. I do ACL, and even we can't do "full contact".

Just everyone needs to give up the alpha-nerd thing.
>>
>>8822489
>everyone needs to give up the alpha-nerd thing

B-b-but now how will I delude myself into thinking I'm secretly more athletic than the star athletes on the school football team?
>>
>>8822401

Someone thought it was okay to take their shirt off and say "full contact" larp was on par with the full contact Klitschko does.
>>
File: 1297347150717.gif (18KB, 500x550px) Image search: [Google]
1297347150717.gif
18KB, 500x550px
>>8822700
by pretending to be superior to other kind of nerds
>>
It might be a cultural thing, but "full contact" sometimes gets used in the UK to distinguish itself from pub/parlour/ larps where combat is done my dice rolls or other mechanics.
It doesn't mean "we're hardcore and never pull blows and we are so manly and awesome and all other games are for girly men and wimps"
>>
>>8822974
I think he meant full force blunt steel combat.
>>
>>8822974
if the combat is done by dice rolls the larp is missing the action part.
>>
>>8822980

There might be plenty of action to be had at a combat free larp, nudge nudge, wink wink
>>
>>8822984
spare me this slaneesh bullshit
>>
>>8822730
don't mix us all. I'm >>8819973, and that was based on my experience with actual reenactment swordfighters (who also cross over into larp quite often here). the ones I know are firefighters and similar shit in day to day life - hence, they are fucking ripped. y'all are probably right in that someone less athletic could manage better in full contact larp/reenactment than in MMA, but the people over here are actually in good/very good body shape.

>>8822489
>alpha-nerd
as a 60kg petite female with asthma, I know my body's limits well, thanks. I'm not trying to pretend to be some ripped powerlifter, I'm just saying that in reenactment these guys flail around with authentic, dulled swords and armour (at least chain + helmet, usually much more).
my country also has boffer reenactment battles (which usually include a portion of plot), medical staff (read: ambulance) is around and anyone underage signs the fuck out of waivers. yeah no one's going to die unless someone intentionally ignores a lot of regulations, but people will fuck up.

sorry for not making myself clearer and mixing up reenactment and larp, I was obviously too tired to be on cgl. going to hide this thread so I don't get the urge to argue some more
>>
>>8822978
The guy was definitely talking about larp rather than re-enactment

>>8823000
Folks always get confused between people discussing re-enactment and larps. This thread had been way more argumentative than normal, so don't feel like you need to avoid larp threads. We're (mostly) friendly.
>>
>>8823000
>so I don't get the urge to argue some more
it's like you doesn't even want to have fun.

I never understand why people doesn't want to argue, that's one of the reasons after all why 4chan exists.
That is, as long as we don't mistake arguing with name calling
>>
>>8822489
That's the thing, people go muy full contact, and if it were actual full contact, it would be a lot more serious. I'm agreeing with you that there is NO such thing as a full contact larp.
>>
>>8822489
Isn't ACL like BOTN?
How is it not full contact?
>>
>>8823243
have you seen BotN? ever wondered why they do the same retarded looking things over and over again instead of doing proper "anti- armour" techniques? because there are a fuckton of rules to what is allowed an what isn't. So people won't die that often.
full contact doesn't mean full force
>>
File: Soeur Brotorgère.jpg (96KB, 643x960px) Image search: [Google]
Soeur Brotorgère.jpg
96KB, 643x960px
Now for something totally different.

Can we stop arguing pliz?
>>
>>8823338
why would we do that?
>>
>>8823340
>>8823338
It's just trolling. Don't reply to trolls and they go away.
>>
File: xathorvsrothax.jpg (72KB, 294x303px) Image search: [Google]
xathorvsrothax.jpg
72KB, 294x303px
>>8823344
but what if... i dont want them to go away.
>>
>>8823000
...You DO know that Gropes fights actual bohurt, ya? You're not impressing anyone.
>>
>>8823243
ACL = armored combat league. This is the North American branch that competes in the BotN. They all use the standardized HMBI rules.
>>
>>8823318
If so, I really don't get what you mean by "full-contact", because here it just means the rules aren't THAT harsh i.e. you can hit to almost anywhere, use grappling etc. (BoTN and maybe even local re-enactors fit into that.)

If by full contact you guys mean no holds barred no rules everything goes then yeah, that's stupid and a pretty good way to die.
>>
>>8820881
Yeah sadly. I wish we could have Latex weapons.
>>
>>8823887
I think it's largely a reaction to the way they've seen "full contact" used in the past. Most games that use the term are only using it because of machismo reasons; it makes the game sound "hardcore" and helps to attract players who might otherwise see larp as a nerd hobby for wimps. In reality, it usually means what you just said, but the word tends to provoke kind of a knee-jerk reaction for the aforementioned reasons.
>>
>>8822380
Last winter. Broke my Ring finger.

Yes at any sanctioned event there are on staff medical personel 24/7 including at the larger events a medical tent

Yes we all sign waivers.

We also have to have an insurance policy for the game and site(s) itself of up to 1m usd.

>>8822489
Not trying to sound "bad ass" it allows about as much contact as rugby or wrestling. If your going to argue that, then the only true "full contact" anything is street fighting.

>>8822974
basicly. this.
>>
>>8823986
Yeah but we still pull our blows, we don't allow full on shield bashing or battering the fuck out of each other.
The only way you'd want to do the normal way full contact is used is because you either a) Want to cause actual injuries or b) trying to make the fact you dress up and run around with fake weapons somehow less nerdy as fuck.
>>
Hai guys! Whats going on in this-

>MUH FULL CONTACT

I hate you all.
>>
>>8824063
Ya know the drill gropey, every 4th thread is muh full contact.
>>
File: tumblr_mnqmczN0WH1rcs0bco1_1280.jpg (489KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnqmczN0WH1rcs0bco1_1280.jpg
489KB, 1280x1707px
>>8824134
Thats unpleasant. Can we go back to talking about chasing faungirls, suggestive codpieces and inappropriate heraldry?
>>
>>8824209
We've already talked about all that shit
>>
File: 20160121_011152.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160121_011152.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Well, take two!
I'm not dicking around with a new design before I get the internal construction down properly, so it's outwardly the same as the first one I made a few days ago.
This time with doubled up core to eliminate flopsyness and the flexible tip method that AHLF and HLF suggested.

I didn't take the double width of the core into consideration, so its uncomfortably close to the edge, but I talked with a ST of our game and they say it's fine as long as it's far enough away from the striking surface.

(sold the first one, btw. Passed safety and someone liked it enough to buy it, so success?)
>>
>>8824004
I dunno. I think its more fun then some of the lighter larps. Just my cup'o tea.
>>
>>8823000
That's okay, we all confuse matters at some point.

Stay, though. Argue. It's all in good fun. Except when Tarantula gets in here. That spider needs a good stomping.

As an aside, though, you're pretty much preaching to the choir. Several people here fight in full armour, have sparred/do spar with dulled swords or beechwood staves and spears or do full contact sparring on the regular. Just something to keep in mind.
>>
>>8824303
I would like to eventually make some of my own weapons. Do you have a tutorial you're using for these, and/or would you be willing to post a step-by-step?
>>
>>8824405
>It's all in good fun. Except when Tarantula gets in here. That spider needs a good stomping.

What the balls do you have against Larpsocks?

>As an aside, though, you're pretty much preaching to the choir. Several people here fight in full armour, have sparred/do spar with dulled swords or beechwood staves and spears or do full contact sparring on the regular. Just something to keep in mind.

I've just learned to totally disregard most peoples opinions about "full contact". Just fucking prance about and play pretend like an adult and quit trying to sound badass.
>>
>>8824407
I used this
>>8808894
as a guide for the internals. Outsides are my own derp approach
>>
>>8824434
> Just fucking prance about and play pretend like an adult and quit trying to sound badass.

It scares me when you're the voice if reason.
>>
>>8823887
Full contact generally means that you can do whatever you want with the allowed equipment. Hence the "full" part. The moment you restrict what you can or cannot do it's no longer full contact.
That is, if we are talking about sword related games/sports
>>
>>8824303
So far so good - masking tape is an interesting choice, I never tried it. Did you remember to glue the doubled core firmly, and put some hockey tape where the flexible tip attaches to the core?
Also, things I just finished.
>>
>>8824434
>What the balls do you have against Larpsocks?

Socks is nightmare fuel given life.
>>
>>8824625
Wtf? Gropey is being the voice of reason, someone dislikes Spidersocks and everyone is sucking Shea's cock. Is this bizzaro larpthread? Will HLF start being a SJW next?
>>
>>
>>
>>8824664
>>
File: archer_by_brissinge-d7ceqkj.jpg (3MB, 3264x1458px) Image search: [Google]
archer_by_brissinge-d7ceqkj.jpg
3MB, 3264x1458px
>>
File: x.jpg (328KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
x.jpg
328KB, 1024x1365px
>>
File: cousinhood_by_soma_chan-d808dzr.jpg (119KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
cousinhood_by_soma_chan-d808dzr.jpg
119KB, 1000x667px
>>
>>
File: scarrrr.jpg (193KB, 1024x1545px) Image search: [Google]
scarrrr.jpg
193KB, 1024x1545px
>>
>>
>>
File: eff_020_by_lady__eowyn-d62zdhb.jpg (432KB, 1024x752px) Image search: [Google]
eff_020_by_lady__eowyn-d62zdhb.jpg
432KB, 1024x752px
>>
>>8824437
Cool, thanks. I already took some screenshots for my own reference.
>>
>>8824658
I strongly believe in equality
>>
>>8824565
I will. In this picture, the core isn't glued in yet.
I'll cover the entire thing with contact cement, so the masking tape is not gonna bear much - if any - load.
I can still add stronger connections if you think it'd be necessary.
>>
>>8824920
Going to help my people become more accepted as a beautiful and exotic culture?
>>
File: Armor with Camping Mat Foam.jpg (2MB, 800x2572px) Image search: [Google]
Armor with Camping Mat Foam.jpg
2MB, 800x2572px
just thought id reload some of the previous DIY guides
starting off with the guide for making Armor with Camping Mat
>>
File: DIY tail.jpg (205KB, 469x1700px) Image search: [Google]
DIY tail.jpg
205KB, 469x1700px
>>8825344
>>
>>8825346
>>
File: hot to chainmail.jpg (101KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
hot to chainmail.jpg
101KB, 640x640px
>>8825354
a [albeit textless] guide to DIY chanmial rings
>>
>>8824677
they did a really nice job on the leatherwork in this.
>>
>>8825028
I would rather go with extinct. That's pretty much exotic
>>
>>8826166
Well, at least some things don't change. Good to have you back to normal, you racist slavic bastard.
>>
>>8826915
Hasn't it been long established saying hungarians are slavs is a good way to get stabbed by slavs? Then again, I vaguely remember HLF being made an honorary slav, but i'd still tread carefully.
>>
>>8827161
while it's true that I'm a honorary slav but as far as i know Gropey isn't close to a bunch of nationalist slavs or hungarians right now
>>
Belfag here. While I know I and my system are not welcome here, I simply wish to say this: I, and many of those in my realm, have great respect for many of you in this thread. But your constant bickering and elitist attitudes are off putting to us.

[spoiler]Also,
>Muh Full-Contact[/spoiler]
>>
>>8828058
>[spoiler]
>on /cgl/
>>
>>8828058
>constant bickering and elitist attitudes
welcome to 4chan its like you've never been here before
>>
>>8827798
>Gropey isn't close to a bunch of nationalist slavs or hungarians right now

We spray for that sort of thing around here.

>>8828058
>Belfag here. While I know I and my system are not welcome here

Who ever said that?

>But your constant bickering and elitist attitudes are off putting to us.

Pot, meet kettle.
>>
>>8828058
us bickering is just the 4chan feel, and it's fun.
Although I would like to know why would anyone think we are elitists.
Also even if we hate things we never chase away people just because of that.

Then again, we doesn't pretend that we are nice people. (except Esh-Esh but she doesn't count as she is a genuine nice person)
>>
>>8828058
>>8828423
>Although I would like to know why would anyone think we are elitists.

Belfags think larpthread is elitist because Belfags take themselves way too fucking seriously. Belegarth calls itself a "medieval combat society" and every fucking hot-stick in Bel fancies themselves a master fencer who doesn't fight like the scafags because "lololol im too gud and wud hurt them!". The vast majority dresses like shit, and they reenforce every bad stereotype of foamfighting there is. THEY ACTUALLY CONSIDER THEMSELVES A MARTIAL ART.

I should know. I've been playing in Belegarth since 1992.
>>
>>8828448
that... actually sounds like nearly all of the boffer tags around the world ever
>>
>>8828448
Is the blue guy's shield the twitter logo?
>>
File: unnamed (12).jpg (148KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (12).jpg
148KB, 1600x1066px
I... umm... I had a good time at game? It rained a lot. My brother and I resurrected on the first night (a fairly big deal in our system).
>Go exploring caves
>Find cave that has floating tendrils hanging from the ceiling, the floor is covered in crystals and gems
>It's represented by glowing ropes under a blacklight hanging from the rafters with glass crystals scattered on the ground. Looked cool.
>We grabbed a blacksmith/miner (one of the players) after scouting it so he could get a good look at the gems.
>We hang back, blacksmith walks in under the tendrils to look at gems.
>The tendrils start moving towards him
>He keeps going
>We start shouting at him to come back
>The fool is actually scooping up the gems instead of running
>The staff member running this is looking at him in disbelief.
>The tendril touches him
>The blacksmith is grabbed and ripped up towards the ceiling, out of sight (and is OOG taken to a different room).
>thiswassupposedtobeascoutingmission.jpg
>Brother and I are goodytwoshoes so we grab tendrils and get pulled up to the ceiling so we can go help
>It's huge versions of fishing worms (Arachnocampa) which use sticky tendrils to hunt moths.
>Our dedicated healer and my fighter/healer start to cast spells but the worms entangle us as soon as we start
>Fighter brother kills a worm freeing our blacksmith, cuts free our healer (who fall to the floor- the other room)
>in the meantime I've been eaten by a worm.
>Big fighter brother gets eaten trying to rescue his little brother. Hooray.
>Blacksmith gets himself pulled back up, cuts both of us out of the worms stomach
>The fucking healer runs away.
>Blacksmith shrugs, scoops up all the gems, and also runs
>We are left behind to resurrect back home in the circle

Led to some great roleplay. The rest of my weekend was mostly getting whacked in the back of the head by my brother- pic related.

>>8828058
I think you're taking the opinions of strangers on the internet way too seriously.
>>
>>8828367
*slaps gropey through the internet*. I may be amerifat, but I'm 1/8th Slav (if family tree is to be believed, related to the former Slavic royal family).
>>
>>8829135
I was going to apologize for comparing you to HLF... But the middleschool "asterix roleplay" thing absolutely killed any respect I may have had for you.
>>
>>8829135
>>8829179
Jesus christ this tripfag behavior is abhorrent you guys aren't even using them for what you say you use them for
>>
File: IMG_1962.jpg (822KB, 1527x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1962.jpg
822KB, 1527x1200px
>>8829237
I actually agree with anon. Come on guys, post some pics if you're going to shitpost.
>>
>>8829135
>>8829179
>>8829271
>>8829271
You're all fucking cancer and need to gtfo /cgl/.
>>
File: 20160124_020107.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160124_020107.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>8829271
As usual, you're right. Guess i'll show you this then.

With some major free time changes, we're finally getting ready to pull LSDT out of hiatus with a winter one shot.

Im actually in the middle of refurbishing a few pieces. Just resurfaced the ol' bardiche.
>>
File: 20160124_020116.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160124_020116.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>8829380
Yeah, but we're the fun kind of cancer!
>>
>>8828867
ahh the famous dick-fish shield.

also we are in autosage
>>
made a new thread
>>8829641
>>
>>8829135 is me
>>8829237
>>8829179
Don't know who you think I am, but I have never used a name or tripcode at all on cgl or tg.
>>
>>8819973
No. No it's not, most reenactors are fatties who drink too much beer and have an ego the size of a mountain. Yeah, it's legit heavy. No it's not a real martial art, and neither is larp. Stop fooling yourself.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 81

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.