[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Panels you wish you saw more of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
What are some really amazing panels you've seen that you wish went to more cons.

I for one am a huge fan of Banzai arcade. While the whole thing is made with RPG maker but a lot of TLC was put into the sprite creation. In addition all cutscenes are voiced not to mention the crowd gets really hype. It's a treat to both watch and partisipate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm3zLN2ASs0
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 850x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 850x313px
This guy looks like a douche.
>>
One convention I went to had a panel on disabilities and special needs in anime. I really wanted to go, because I am a special education teacher and it sounded interesting. But it was cancelled. I was thinking of making my own panel with indepth information on this topic, but I feel that I would be overreaching and no one would care anyway.
>>
>>8796298
He's been nothing but kind to every person I see
But I can understand having a hard time separating a character someone cosplays from their actual personality
>>
I noticed that cgl doesn't talk too much about panels outside of horror stories so seeing this thread is a good change of pace.

For me I like seeing any educational based panel where the panelist actually knows their stuff
>>
>>8795286
ANY panel that is not "Ask the ________!" related or run by cosplayers pretending to be characters from a series. (Hetalia, Homestuck, Undertale, etc)
>>
Any convention that doesn't have this guy host panels, isn't a convention worth going to.
>>
>>8795286
I once had a panel where I gave everyone who walked in a freel kazoo. We all kazoo'd to anime/pop culture songs.
200-300 people.

Everyone has been screaming at me to do the panel again... but unfortunately the con banned kazoos after my panel unleashed 200-300 weebs with kazoos into the con.
>>
>>8795286
Panels about more obscure anime.
>>
I really enjoyed a short "choose your adventure" style DnD panel I went to. The panel host DMed a short game with 4 audience members. It was easy to die, so we went through I think 3 or 4 sets of volunteers before the panel was over. Super fun, and still amusing to sit and listen to if you didn't get picked to go onstage
>>
>>8797788
kek
>>
File: LaughOutLoud_coverphoto.jpg (79KB, 675x302px) Image search: [Google]
LaughOutLoud_coverphoto.jpg
79KB, 675x302px
These guys are great. They are a improv group who do anime related skits. I wish they were at more conventions. Live improv is the best.
They once had nostalgia critic on stage with them and I think that was the greatest panel I ever went to.

>>8797788
I remember going to a panel where the host threw a bunch of them into the crowd. That was fun.
>>
>>8798844
>>8798962
These sorts of improv games sound great. I really like panels that are actually interactive, not just ones where a tiny group of the panelist's friends sit in the front and yell random shit instead of letting everyone else get a word in.

I'd love to see a lolita dressup panel. Like, three or four people wearing pettis and a blouse had to be given full coords and the winning group would get a small prize, like a bow or something each.
Probably not feasible, even if everything was ancient Bodyline, but it'd be a fun way to end a lolita 101 panel and people could test out their coord skills.
>>
I've gone to awesome anime openings and the funny/international anime openings panel the last couple years at Sakuracon. Definitely one to wait in line for.

Also love the AMV trivia where the MC asks audience members who haven't seen the show in the AMV to describe the plot.
>>
>>8795286
I fucking LOVE Banzai Arcade, I wish they went to more cons so more people can experience the fun
>>
>>8799260
Whenever a briefcase punch drops, people get hype
>>
>>8798962
They are pretty good. I'm really hoping they'll be at Kami-Con in a couple months. I'll be super disappointed if they don't come back.
>>
>>8799806
They must be good as most of the time improv groups are just cringe worthy
>>
>>8799580
It's the best man
>>
We need decent panelists to come to the Texas cons. Someone make that happen.
>>
I want more panels that are preplanned with a 'show' of sorts, but with characters from a series. Sort of like improv comedy like anon mentioned above? If effort is put into the show and the humor, along with the cosplayers being in character, it turns out really well I think.

I know it sounds stupid because 'weh attack on titan is shit and for 16 year olds' , but to this day the best panel Ive ever been to was an Attack on Titan sleepover. Honestly the cosplayers weren't even that good, but they were all very in character and very funny, and the group as a whole had a lot of content already planned, they did not rely on the audience and just hoped things went well. We all just sat on the floor as they played games, had some audience participation (i think we played truth or dare?) and just generally had a lot of fun.

With all the 'Ask a Nation', 'Ask a homestuck', 'Ask an X' panels I feel like I'll never go to a better group-run panel again. I wish cons would ban those.
>>
>>8805394
Curious, what cons do you go to?
>>
>>8805394
If you can, go to Kami-con. They do exactly that type of stuff every year.
>>
>>8796606
I couldn't agree more.

>>8795286
This panel looks awesome, I can't imagine how long the lines are to get into these kind of panels.
>>
I usually don't go to panels at cons, I mainly go to main events, autograph and photo ops, and meet ups when I'm not in the dealer's room, but I've been to a couple good ones. I've seen a kigurumi slumber party, secret santa, and jeprody, so those were pretty fun. They're all normally animes that I don't watch, count down lists, and "Ask ___"
>>
>>8797781
Game shows aren't panels. I hate how many people think this.
>>
>>8806561
That story in particular was from Anime Weekend Atlanta 2014. I know the group that put on the panel has a name and they do other stuff but I can't recall the name.
>>
>>8796298
He's really nice to everyone
>>
>>8795286
My recent cosplay photography panel was really well received, so i submitted it to a bunch of conventions this year. I'm looking forward to doing it some more.
>>
>>8806902
Many cons do not have a game show division so if you want to come up with a quiz show or anything of that ilk its submitted and presented under a panel section. In essence you will see game shows listed AS panels
>>
>>8796298

Ive seen him at every kotoricon ive been to, never went to his panel though, whats it about
>>
>>8805394

I think the key to group panels, especially panels where people are semi to completely in character is not to have it be interaction with the audience as the primary purpose of the panel. I strongly believe all panels should educate the audience (and I think game shows can do this, too, it's just more subtle than a lecture style panel).

Examples of what I mean would be AoT characters discussing fan theories, Ed talking about alchemy, Hetalia characters discussing the history in the show, etc. That's still limiting the content to "just this series" but it could expand to be cross-fandom casts doing cross-fandom content.

There's still plenty of room for jokes, in-character asides, shenanigans, but the main premise of the panel is "let me tell you about X" instead of "audience interacts with the cast." That's meetup type stuff, and should be reserved for meetups. I understand some people like Ask panels, but cons should either have a separate space and time allowance for those (that wouldn't take panel time away from the main schedule) or put meetup times on the schedule, like they do for cosplay photos sometimes. Thought I'm not upset that cons have banned Q&A panels.
>>
>>8807137
I've been to one of his panels at a different con. The panel basically is about the mannerisms of dealing with other people at conventions, hotel roommate etiquette, how common sense goes out the window, and some horror stories of what not to do. I've only been to this particular panel once, but I enjoyed it.
>>
>>8807162
That's a good way of putting it. I'm sick of all the 'Ask_!' panels because it's just a lot of bad cosplayers and their giggling friends, but if they did something like what you said it'd actually be interesting.
>>
One of the best panels I went to was one discussing the visual symbolism of Kunihiko Ikuhara's works (this was before Yuri Kuma Arashi came out though.) The panelists put so much thought and research into what they were discussing, and not once did it feel either too intellectual or too dumbed down.
>>
>>8810730
I would kill to go to a panel like this. What con was it at, and are they still doing this panel?
>>
>>8810756
I think it was at Otakon 2014, no clue if they're still doing it though. (I didn't go last year)
>>
>>8810769
Looking at last year's archived schedule, there was both a panel on just Yurikuma Arashi and a general Ikuhara panel, this time including Yurikuma.

Too bad there's no way I'd be able to make it out to Otakon though. I wish people would run this kind of panel out west.
>>
>>8810730
I went to a panel similar to this, based around yuri kuma tho, and it was the best panel i went to at otakon last year.
>>
>>8810730
Wow I'm really upset this is nowhere near me
I have so much thought dumped into Penguindrum and YKA and Utena
>>
Anyone else here been to the Cosplay Wrestling Federation? I feel it hits a lot of points mentioned here >>8807162
>>
>>8797736
>educational based panel
I attended a panel titled something like "Asian Representation in Western Media" at a comic convention.

What I expected:
>Social/cultural discussion based on asian comic/cartoon characters

What I got:
>panelists bawwwing about muh oppression growing up in a "caucasian dominant society"
>slideshow of asian characters in bg, who were referenced maybe 2x max

So much disappointment.
>>
>>8811059
I'm >>8810756 and >>8810791 above
Are you on the west coast of the US? If so, would you be willing to put on a panel like this with me? lmk and I'll throw a disposable email your way.
>>
>>8811481
I'm not sure I could make it to the same cons but I'm willing to try
>>
>>8811669
What cons do you go to/what area are you in?

I put up an email there if you or anyone else was interested and wanted to contact me.

Bumping the thread this time so hopefully this anon will see my reply, but any other discussion along these lines will be saged for off topic.
>>
>>8811706
washington ones mostly
>>
>>8811722
I'm in NorCal myself, so that might be harder, but doable, if either I am able to go up for Sakuracon or you are able to come down for something like Fanimecon.
>>
>>8811749
I'm actually trying to go to fanime? Maybe?
>>
>>8811752
If you can, let me know, and we can see if we can put something together.

This means that I'll probably have to actually watch YKA. I'd be cool with just an RGU analysis panel though.
>>
>>8797736
>horror
Agreed. It seems like cgl only complains about panels and the few panel talk we get are in convention threads.

Nice to see people recommending panels here
>>
It baffles me with now unknown banzai arcade is still. There's so my TLC put into that panel.
>>
I freaking love horrible anime themed panels and have been to a few. For some reason panelists have a habit of no showing them, though?
>>
>>8814516

Some cons will give a free badge if you do even one panel. I have a feeling that some people no show thinking they can get the badge and then skip out, or they're recruiting unreliable people or friends who will flake at the last minute, or maybe these kids are young enough they can't get rides to the con.

There have been times when I over-extended myself in submitting panels and realized I didn't have time to write them all, and have had to drop a panel, but it's always way ahead of time and I let the con know in advance. I've learned to not over-submit, too.
>>
What are some good cosplay panels that people have seen, or any ideas for good cosplay panels? Panels about cosplay, not in-character fandom type panels. Cosplay construction or culture related topics.

I want to get more into doing panels about cosplay but I don't know what people actually like seeing or would want to see.
>>
>>8817970

Fabric, patterns + tailoring, props, wig styling, makeup, crossplay, etc.

Some that I haven't ever seen but would really love are one about cosplay undergarments (like, foundation for your clothing), and then it would be nice to see some more competition panels. Things like, "how to take your cosplay to the next level" but with a sewing focus (more professional tips and tricks) and stuff to help people prepare for contests. Walking, posing, etc.

Try to go beyond basic things. Find what you're good at or what people always seem to really notice and love about your cosplays and then figure out how to share that through a panel, but in a way that's different from what everyone else is doing. For example, if all you see are basic wig panels, but you're really great at doing sculptural things with wigs, do a panel about that.

Demos are hit or miss. I like seeing them, but they take so long and it can be hard to see. Just something to consider.
>>
I'm thinking about doing a Basic Electronics for Cosplay panel. Everybody ask me how I make some of my props. Obviously I can't teach people to program a microcontroller in an hour but showing off the basics of LEDs, motor selection, EL wire and and playing sound effects could be interesting. I can have props that show off each of these. I would also cover some basics of soldering safety which I do a lot at work with new interns.
>>
>>8797781
Still banging your sister, eh greg
>>
I'd like to do something like the Sengoku Era as told by anime or maybe something related to the heroes and legends of the Fate series with maybe a "Know Your Sabers" bit since there's so many now.
>>
>>8796472

My favorite canceled panel that never happened was "race and racism in anime"
>>
>>8818497
There was a panel last year that got cancelled that I wanted to see. It was called "J Snuff N Stuff" the description just said "Trigger warning: All the triggers" It sounded fucked up and disturbing and I really wanted to know what it would have been although I can kinda guess.
>>
>>8818013
Thanks for the ideas! I would like to attend panels about how to improve construction for competition, but I'm just starting to get into that scene so I don't have enough experience with that yet. I've been cosplaying for a long time but without competing.

>Fabric
>Undergarments
I've done panels on these before. Glad to see that this is something that's in demand. I'll probably fix them up for the upcoming con season.

I'm tired of all the basic "Intro to ____" type cosplay panels as well, so I want to go more in depth. I could probably put together something on patterning or tailoring, but I don't want to do a demo because you're right about them being hard to see so I'm not sure how to go about that.

One thing I try to focus on in my own cosplays is trying to have cohesive color and texture, and that's something that I find lacking in a lot of your average-tier cosplays, but I don't really know how to go about making a panel for that.

Another idea I had would actually be the most basic of basic cosplay panels and clearly for beginners, which would be essentially "how to plan/start making a cosplay." I see posts every day about how someone wants to cosplay a character but has "no idea" how to begin, and since people can be totally clueless, it might be helpful to make it painfully obvious for the, but I don't know what kind of crowd that would attract or if it would overlap with any local "cosplay 101" type panels (I've never attended any because it's not something I feel I need, but maybe I should next time one is being presented just to scope out the content).

Thanks again for your feedback!

>>8818118
I would love a panel like that. I've done lights in costumes, but it's always been pre-made setups (Christmas lights and such). A basic intro panel on how to get started with that would be really helpful.
>>
>>8795286
>tfw Britfag, choice between shit local comm and MCM
>neither have decent panels, glorified dealers hall and artist's alley
>just want to attend a lolita panel and hear information I already know
>>
>>8818586

Maybe an advanced fabric panel? Since a lot of fabric panels are "what fabric to use for X cosplay" but something about how to use multiple fabrics in cosplays to create nice textured effects?

On your topic of basic basic, maybe it's something where you talk seriously about budgeting time and money. I see a lot of "cosplay on a budget" panels, but how about just how to budget and plan? Kinda like how people plan for weddings, but for cosplay? Where it's like "at 3 months, buy your wig" kinda thing. So you're showing them what to buy first, what to buy last, how long to plan for things, etc.

What are of the country or cons do you attend?
>>
>>8818623
The first few times I gave the fabric panel it was mostly types of fabric, their general uses, and then a few examples of how to break down a costume. I've been reworking it to have more on how to identify and choose fabrics and only minimal information about fabric types, but breaking it into a beginner and advanced panel, or otherwise a two-part panel, would be a good idea.
The beginner panel would be types of fabrics and their general uses as well as some on how to interpret fabrics, and the advanced panel would be how to combine multiple fabrics, how to use different textures, and how to get an overall cohesive look with your materials/colors/etc.

I'm currently signed up for a con next month with only a one-hour fabrics panel so I'll probably use my revised one-hour panel there and then make a two-hour version later. It might be good to have that flexibility, as well, in case I can only get an hour slot at a con.

Budgeting time and money would be a good topic. I was thinking about the really basic stuff like how to look at reference images, figure out what all the parts are, calculate how much material you need and of what types, how to find a wig, etc. Doing that kind of thing with a timeline and budgeting angle is a great idea though.

I'm on the West Coast. I'm pretty much the only person doing a lot of cosplay panels at one of the medium-sized cons I attend so I can generally do whatever I want without worrying about overlap (though it's a majorly weeby con and they probably need some of the more basic panels), but the other cons in the area usually have more variety, so I want to branch out there.
>>
Is anyone interested in brave frontier or Phantom of the kill? They're both handheld games that I play and would love a panel for. I'd make one myself but I feel as though it wouldn't be popular
>>
At Kraken con there was an interesting panel about how to take good photos with cell phone/cheap cameras.

The panelists covered basic etiquette, how to use various elements of the con center to increase lighting/create interesting backdrops. It was super informative and chill
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.