[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canada Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 33

File: canadian_riot_540.jpg (160KB, 540x723px) Image search: [Google]
canadian_riot_540.jpg
160KB, 540x723px
Didn't see one in the catalog.

How was your 2015 Canadian seagulls? Best/worst con experiences of the year? Planning out your cons and costumes for 2016 yet? Gonna buy any cosplay related stuff with your X-mas/holiday money? How many cons in Canada are you actually going to?
>>
>>8762576
>Worst con experience
Fan expo in Toronto. Not AT con persay but I was getting ready to leave when I hear a wail from the other room. Both my grandparents died and I stayed with my mother for the day instead. I was trying to resell my tickets on Kijiji with only one rude low baller offering.

Yeah I'm planning one big armour cosplay for next year with a couple of easy ones. For AN, Conbravo and Fan expo so far.

I only get weird smelly fruit cakes for Christmas and no money =_=
>>
>>8762596
Ya didn't miss much at FanExpo. Lines slightly more organized but really the usual giant vaguely geeky shopping mall.
>>
Any cos events happening in early January?
>>
Otakuthon fucking sucked. I'm into jfash/anime/video games and tried to participate in all three interests over the three days and it was honestly a waste of money and time. I'm embarrassed that the Lolita comm clings to that event for the life of them but at least they put on a half decent fashion show. There's also a feud in the comm over which brands will be invited to the con next year and who will be taking credit for it and I won't be going unless they announce a resolution soon.

On the other hand, both comic cons (Montreal + Ottawa) I attended were an amazing time!

I missed out on Hal con this year but I can't wait to attend when they have their new convention building. God I love the Maritimes geek comm. Most welcoming con by far.
>>
>>8762576
OT, but the OP pic annoys me because Canada will have extreme riots over fucking hockey or their college tuition going up by $200.
>>
>>8762895
I understand why the lolitas do cling to it, its the only way they can keep up jfashion at a con that doesnt care for it. They seem very bitter at other Canadian cons and their guests though.
>>
Why does every convention in Vancouver suck.

Why is a one day convention 20$.
Why did anime revolution raise prices again.

I just want to go to a local con and have fun is that too much to ask.

>I'm going to have to go to Seattle and pay tons of money in order to get my con fill now ffs.
>>
any predictions for anime north?
>>
Staff rude as fuck at Animethon (Edmonton). Went to CCE for the first time this year and had a great time. Just need to prep my cosplays sooner in advance this year.

Planning on cosplaying Hakuei Ren from Magi, other than that I don't have real concrete plans. Might do Giffany if the Gravity Falls group I was going to do shoots with gets their shit together and commits to a date this year.
>>
>>8762895
Otakuthon's guests were pretty top tier this year, though, so there's that.
I agree it did suck, a lot of SJW panels, I normally don't care for those, but bringing social justice issues to a con is fucking stupid.
>>
File: nopee.jpg (96KB, 499x371px) Image search: [Google]
nopee.jpg
96KB, 499x371px
>>8763043
> mfw Quebec schools are having strikes
I'm glad my school didn't participate, or my semester would have ended a few days before Christmas instead of this week.
>>
>>8762895
>comm drama
Deets please.
>>
>>8763940
Heck, even health facilities having strikes at the same time as the French sectors
>Mfw Niece had 3 days off consecutively
>>
>>8763918
the cheap passes are gonna sell out obnoxiously fast, but otherwise it's still way too early to make any guesses.
After JetJ in 2014 and BtSSB/AatP in 2015, though, I'm wondering how they can hope to keep that momentum going lolita-wise.
>>
>>8763918
>>8763966
AN is not going to take responsible for badge scammers this year. I wonder how that will work out.
>>
>>8763942
momo vs kanonique

both in a race for the e-fame train and somehow ended up having a very public dispute as to which girl will successfully bribe brands to attend as guests when the con made it force-ably clear they may not even consider a lolita brand as it's a low priority with their current budget
>>
>>8763918
don't really care about the programming, it's been really mediocre the last few years. Just going to party with 4chan bro's
>>
>>8763918
4chan pool party will never successfully happen and i will continue to be sad
>>
>>8763918
Probably the usual. Pointless guests, staff not giving a fuck about anything, shitstorms in the AN Facebook group, dance closing up at 1am and then people whining about noise from room parties aftet the fact, people getting sick from undercooked shit at Harveys.

Did I miss anything?
>>
>>8764078
The midnight bathroom meet is 100x better.
>>
>>8764078
We got close though
Granted, sitting outside the pool isn't a pool party, but still
>>
File: pools-are-closed-stencil1.png (44KB, 780x863px) Image search: [Google]
pools-are-closed-stencil1.png
44KB, 780x863px
>>8764078
>>
>>8763935
I only spotted one SJW panel there. AN is far worse. They had around 11.
>>
>tfw there's finally a Tales panel
>VA is forbidden by contract to talk about Tales until Zestiria comes out
>Panel is a trainwreck
>One obnoxious League asshole derails whole thing asking about League
>There are going to be multiple League panels later

At least people seemed to like my cosplays but for fuck's sake who thought it was a good idea to hold a Tales panel with someone who is forbidden by contract to talk about it?
>>
>>8764192
SJWs everywhere, dealers room full of bootlegs, overcrowding everywhere, 2 hour long line-ups at Tim's, shitty speed dating, Roany's and Littlest Gift Boutique flooding the AN group, "why doesn't the con move to a bigger venue?", whining about badge prices, whining about badges selling out, people who never watch anime, too much walking, shuttles that never show up, loud music booming whenever you walk by the TCC, wrestling that is a waste of space, drunk and high people everywhere Saturday, orgies, creepers at the rave, overpriced food served to lazy peple outside the TCC, people whining about not getting on the fashion show, totally unprofessional staff who think they're King or Queen Shit because they work at an animu con...

Yeah, AN is shit now. If I go, it's to chill with friends. Many people admit that AN is more about friends and cosplay than anything else now because most of the convention sucks.
>>
>>8765565
You're literally describing every convention, ever.
>>
>>8765565
Why would people be upset about badge prices? It's like $50-60? My local con costs that much and it's a fraction of the size. It's also interesting that it's considered overcrowded, because every panel I went to had enough seating, save for one where people who showed up late sat on the floor. Idk, maybe I just have low standards, but AN was way more organized than any con in my area.
>>
>>8765565
>Friday night, waiting for shuttle to Hilton Gardens
>Boyfriend wearing Nightcrawler, me wearing decora and had quite a bit of skin showing
>Stuck waiting for 3 hours at the shuttle stop
>Began showing signs of hypothermia
>Ended up forming a huddle with a bunch of people we didn't know to keep warm
>Bus driver from other route (to closer hotels) picks us up after driving past us 5 times
>Literal round of applause for the driver for going out of his way to help

Praying that they run the shuttles a bit differently next year.
>>
>>8765632
It's mainly younger people who complain about badge prices. They don't realize that AN's prices have always been lower than the average con.

I've been to panels where people have been standing in the sides and waiting outside. Panel crowds really depend on the topic and when they're scheduled. The hallways of the IP are always crowded, though, as is the Dealers Room.
>>
>>8765638
yeah i specifically got a hotel within a 15-20min walk this year so I dont have to rely on the shuttles, they're the absolute worst
also what an odd couple you two must've looked, I can just picture it anon
>>
Reika was announced as an AN2016 guest last night.
>>
>>8765723
Yeah, I just saw that. I was hesitating on going to AN, but it's been nudged towards a 'yes' since I want to see how she looks like IRL.
>>
>>8763043
Lose a hockey game? RIOT.
Win a hockey game? RIOT.
No hockey game? RIOT.
>>
>>8762867
A Taste of Animethon in Edmonton Jan. 22-23. They got Reika and Misako as Guests of Honour.
They're really trying hard to be the next big con. Kek.
>>
>>8766067
ugh fuck I should go

is the edmonton comm chilled out and well-dressed?
>>
>>8766615
The girls seem well dressed and pretty chill judging from their demeanor at hosting panels.
All the drama queens are gone now in the comm.
>>
>>8763918
>SJWS
>People complaining about SJWs
>Shannon complaining about SJW panels
>Above people not realizing that fans of every aging generation have complained about the priorities of the generation following them or groups adjacent to them
> The exec of the con still not delegating enough responsibility to departments so they can run efficiently
> Angry Shouty Sweaty Guy being Angry Shouty Sweaty Guy (I like him, he's pretty awesome)
> Dumb fucks at the rave drinking too much and throwing up errywhere
> The speed dating people being assholes
> The TCC AN staff being assholes
> Harveys being understaffed and overrun
>>
File: 1430932797452.gif (422KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1430932797452.gif
422KB, 640x480px
>>8764767
That's a timely reference Anon.
>>
>>8764078
You sure about that? I'm pretty sure I saw pics from a couple years ago.
>>
>>8762576
Here's my wall of text.

>How was your 2015 Canadian seagulls?
Not too shabby. Got the manager position at work and it was nice having the 14 vacay days to put towards cons and not lose out money wise.
Went to 2 new cons this year, was a nice breath of fresh air as well

>Best/worst con experiences of the year?
Best was meeting all the new seagulls when they stopped by for a Toronto/Montréal Seagulls button. You guys were all awesome.

>Planning out your cons and costumes for 2016 yet?
Cons: Might try selling at MTAC (or whatever it's called now), going to try and get an AA table again for AN and ConBravo, going to skip on Otakuthon (too much hassle and $$), and I think I'm going to just attend APop for the Saturday next year. Trying to save up to move to a nicer part of town and finally get a car, I'm sick of the TTC (unless I'm bumming around downtown)
Costumes: I might be doing an Inkling costume for AN with a group. Other than that, no idea. I'd love to do something from One Punch Man, but who?

>Gonna buy any cosplay related stuff with your X-mas/holiday money?
Artist Alley wise, I'm already buying supplies for next year.

>How many cons in Canada are you actually going to?
If all goes planned as the above question, 4.
>>
>>8767981
does APop even sell one-day badges tho?
>>
>>8767981
I'm 99% sure they did starting this year.
>>
>>8767981
>Corky-san not coming to MTL
End my life.
>>
>>8768010
>>8768479
Yeah I went this year for one day. Probably my own fault for going to a partycon on Sunday/le hangover day but I felt pretty meh about it. Got there early to line up but had to wait in line an extra hour because they lost the package for Sunday wristbands. Was really not expecting that from a local con older than 5 years.

Are they coming back for 2016? Might try it again and see what I've been missing.
>>
>>8769987
As far as I know they're definitely coming back. Saturday is definitely the day to go, as the most advertised bands and the burlesque show happen Saturday night.
>>
Anybody going to G-anime? Their summer con was a fucking disaster.
>barely any staff
>panels & activities sucked shit
>40 dollaroos for 2 days
>hardly anybody there

wtf were they thinking?
>>
>>8764426
Midnight bathroom meet?
I'm debating going to AN this year as I live decently close. (~30-40 minutes).
Is it worth the money? I went as a kid a bunch with shitty cosplay but haven't been for 4 or 5 years.
Also, anyone show up just to hang out outside or go to the panels in hotels without a badge?
I'm thinking of just dressing up and going. Doubt people would stop me.
>>
>>8770384
They were trying to cash in on summer, I guess? Really, they should have focused on their winter con more before starting a summer version.
>>
>>8770401
AN staff have been pretty tight about badge checks the last few years, especially at panels. The panel guys might actually be the only polite staff too at least in the Doubletree.
>>
>>8770482
Balls.
In the years I went, the only time my pass got checked was getting into the TCC or any of the big events.
>>
File: 6GNVGXNb.jpg (96KB, 837x531px) Image search: [Google]
6GNVGXNb.jpg
96KB, 837x531px
>>8770401
It was glorious.
>>
>>8770559
Any pics?
Was is all twinks and super awkward betas?
Super curious
>>
>>8770559
>>8770573
im a qt twink, will their be another meet similar to this one this year? :3c
>>
What's up with people saying Otakuthon sucked? It absolutely did not. Maybe compared to the other years? I don't understand where you're coming from. You Montreal people don't realize how good you've got it. This year at Anime North people were BOOING the Masq because of how long it took to get started. The line indoors on Friday evening was so disjointed and disorganized that EMERGENCY ENTRANCE DOORS had to be opened to avoid causing a riot. The whole thing is just one big chaotic mess in the middle of no where compared to the wonderful accommodations you've got over at Otakuthon.
>>
>>8766615
I've been part of the comm for a while now, and we do have a few girls who can't contain their salt, and a few who have no idea what 'coord' means, but as a whole, it's the best comm I've been part of. Very active.
>>
>>8763141
I'd like to know this too. Anime Revolution is embarrassing and incredibly juvenile; I cringe whenever I hear 'AniRevo'. I gave up on local cons so now I just go Seattle to Emerald City and Sakura Con. Sucks though with the dollar exchange being so shitty.
>>
>>8766067
If that's the case, then they really need to stop putting guest signing lines in the parkade next to sewage drain.
>>
>>8771242
Taste is at the Shaw this year.
>>
Sick, you go on owned too?
>>
Pretty good! Been busy with school but I got much more involved in the lolita community in the past year and made a lot of really good friends through that. I also think my sewing has improved massively over the past few months.

I actually really enjoyed MTAC this year, even though I didn't buy a pass. It was really fun just hanging around with my friends at the top level just playing card games all day.

I'm for sure going to Anime North and friends are enticing me into giving Otakuthon another go. As for cosplays, I'm still super busy with school, but if I have time I'd really like to make an M. Bison costume for myself and maybe a Monogatari series character?. For non anime con related, I'll be at Toryuken (which I believe is combined with GGCon this year?) and Canada Cup.

Out of country events I plan on attending are CEO (Orlando), EVO (Las Vegas), and potentially Final Round (Atlanta)? I'd like to try for Youmacon but it's probably going to be the same weekend as Canada Cup

I'll be buying an innocent world dress with the money I make working over the holidays, other than that my money will probably go towards funding my conventions for the year.

4 for sure, but I might check out MTAC and FanExpo again if I'm free those weekends.
>>
>>8771251
I was referring to their main event that's still at the Grant Mac.
>>
File: regret shame gif.gif (704KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
regret shame gif.gif
704KB, 267x200px
i didn't get to do anything this year because of a terrible job that barely paid and my rent is really expensive :'(

2016 is the year now that I work a job that pays way better, so planning on AN and Fan Expo to fill up for lost time
>>
>>8771075
It depends on what you look for in a con. Not everyone who goes to come cares about the Masq. I enjoyed Otakuthon far more than AN for a few years now because I find the atmosphere more friendly and easy-going, but I can see why some people may prefer Anime North. Anime North is a great con if you like seeing cosplays. You can literally see costumes from almost everything if you just hang out outside the TCC. It has a bigger "party" atmosphere, too.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Greetings from Japan
>>
>>8771075
Otakuthon is the best Canadian con imo fuck AN.
>>
>>8771173
I don't even pay now for that con. Just hang out with friends. Not worth the money.
>>
>>8771254
Talking to their Staff is like talking to bricks. That or they're rude and power tripping.
>>
The people attending otakuthon and hosting panels were simply poor quality folk
>>
File: 14141060710.jpg (100KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
14141060710.jpg
100KB, 1280x720px
I had a fantastic time at Otakuthon, first time making a meet up, all the Anon's I talked to were cool, got a pin,made a lot of friends all good. Picture related

I had a pretty shit AN this year but Otakuthon made up for it.
>>
File: best girl.webm (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
best girl.webm
3MB, 720x405px
>Best/worst experience
AN was pretty good, APop was less so. Went to them with different groups, one more fun than the other.

>Costumes for 2016
I don't normally cosplay but I tried to get into it last year, putting aside the time to really do it this year. I have most of the materials together but I'm still undecided on whether to do Sorey from Tales, Flannel from Fates, or Tiz from Bravely Second. I've planned out how to do each of them, I'm just.. procrastinating. I'll be using a bit of holiday money to make whichever I choose.

>Cons
AN, hopefully otakuthon, GGcon, the rest I'll have to see as they come.
>>
>>8771393
It's too bad that Anime North will always be Canada's biggest convention. I know people from all around the world attend it, but when you're there, everyone just assumes that you're from Toronto. It gives a bad impression of Canada. I've even spoken to staff and dealers who feel that Anime North has been lousy for the past 6 or 7 years and getting worse, but as long as they still keep making money, they'll keep holding it every year.

Otakuthon is a superior con in every way. A lot of people say the director is a bitch, but that's the worst I've heard. The programming is better despite not having as much available space, the guests are usually relevant, the staff are mostly friendly bros, there is less walking, and the attendees are generally nicer, and it's a lot less "ugh Toronto".
>>
>>8762576

Best: Anime Revolution: I think getting a lot of big name voices, artists with a diverse skillset who is willing to do commission work and a decent doujinshi retailer was a massive win for AR. I got what I paid for which is a top shelf vendors hall and decent panels. Plus a couple of awesome photoshoots.

Worst: Northwest Fan Fest. Drama aside, the con was a disappointment given how it took place in a small con center, vendors reported losses and drama took place there. On the bright side, a ball pit and a bar on the second floor. Not worth the money for a 3 day though.

I already planned on improving on my present cosplays. May get an airsoft gun for props and passtimes. But I am sticking to AR next year, this year didn't failed me on little bit.
>>
>>8772191
>ball pit
DashCon inspired them.
>>
>>8772196

The only other con that disappointed as much as NFF was the Halloween expo. I heard people mentioned it was quiet as fuck.
>>
>>8771481
Better than AN though, 2bh. I found 1-2 panels that were decent at Otakuthon. I quit all of AN's panels half-way through because the panelists decided to babble about irrelevant things.

Which panels are actually good at AN though? Any recommendations?
>>
Well seems a new con is scheduled for this January in Toronto.

As much as I wanna say finally a new winter con, I really hope they post more info about what this is about.
>>
>>8772671
My google-fu can't find anything about this.
>>
>>8772730
https://www.facebook com/events/706826822752706/709275069174548/
>>
>>8772671
There doesn't seem to be any location info yet, any gulls interesting in going once there's more info?
>>
Fucking boring desu besides school bs. Nothing stood out but better than 2014.

>>8762895
I was thinking about attending Otakuthon in 2016 as I'm honestly fucking bored of AN and it's time enough I branch out while I have the chance. If it's really that shit, guess I won't bother.

>>8764192
>>8765565
Pretty much. Which is why I'm only going for 1 day and that's it. The only time I really enjoy myself is hanging out and doing my panel(s).

>>8767981
I just pinned my button to my new bag. Hope to see you again next year!
>>
>>8772671
I've heard nothing about this. Like, nothing at all. So I've got my doubts.
>>
>>8772671
They're still scoping out locations for a 2 day con (as of a post on the group yesterday), and the con is less than 2 months away?

I'm sorry but I'm calling this a mess now. Following the group to see how this goes down. I'll give them all the respect if they manage to pull this off in this small of a window.
>>
>>8772827
>I just pinned my button to my new bag. Hope to see you again next year!
You a Toronto gull, or Montréal gull?
>>
This was probably the roughest year that I had to deal with due to a lot of personal issues but I finally started to get my life together again so Im hoping for a better year next year.

Best experience was probably the random tail gate party that I had outside my hotel room at anime north at like 3 am. Met some pretty fun people there and the hotel manager was pretty cool about us partying out there.

Worst experience was getting too drunk at Apop and almost losing a best friend. I learned my lesson from it and have since changed my ways.

Im just about done with my weight loss so my plans of cosplaying Shimakaze from kancolle and Archer Illya from Fate Kalied seem to be a go. I also have a fem monogatari uniform to wear if Kizu comes to Canadian theaters. Other than that I got a few in mind but it all depends on if I can get the groups for it or not.

Christmas is costing me quite a bit so after I pay off my bills, I will order the two wigs that I need and that about it for now.

Im going to MTAC, Anime North, Apop and Conbravo.
>>
>>8772806
I'd be down to go, but I think >>8773114
has a point
>>
>>8773114
>>8774116
Well I mean it has happened before where a con was ready in around this time frame. If they got the money, they might be able to do it?

Only thing is that the Cosplay Skate may cut their audience since 1.2k have stated they want to go to that and even more on the maybe list. This new con maybe should shift to the first week of Feb instead.
>>
>>8772671
Considering they don't even have a venue announced? Sounds worse than Frostcon.
>>
>>8772179
The key problem with AN is not realizing that more is not always better. They have a LOT of programming but it's all kind of underfunded and poorly chosen.

Otakuthon isn't actually "better" per se for variety, but it has more vision as to what content it presents. Mind you, I've heard some fucking horror stories about how the con treats their event runners, but at least they don't try to do everything under the sun.
>>
>>8775016
Thats a pretty solid point. I think its because AN grew so rapidly. No real idea how to run it except "More people want to come, lets let more in".
Just look at the attendee stats. Several thousand more people every year. They just keep jamming in more shit to keep up with the demand.
>>
does anyone know whats happening with the Purelight drama? Why does she always just copy people?
>>
>>8775011
Frostcon's problem was mostly money from what I understand. If these guys have the funds however, it might work??
>>
>>8775011
Apparently they got a venue now anda website http://animeshogatsu.com/
>>
>>8775432
>.com
>actually bought a domain

So far they seem to be doing it better than Frostcon. I hope it does okay.
>>
>>8775383
isn't the organizer a knob?
>>
>>8775016
One thing they need to do is take a look at the events and areas that people complain about and seek ways to improve them.

We hear "if you don't like something, run it yourself!", but it's no wonder people don't. Most staff there either don't give a shit or use the convention to jerk-off their massive ego dicks, and not many people are going to put up with that shit when it takes so much time and dedication to get any sort of compensation.

Anime North just doesn't care. Their goal is to sell out of badges and make money. It doesn't feel the same way it used to.

They seriously need people who actually know how to deal with such large crowds. Many staff still seem to see this convention in the exact same way that they did 10 years ago.

One thing that surprises me a lot about Otakuthon is that even though the staff are supposedly treated badly, they're still typically super-friendly. That's not like Anime North where half the people working seem stressed out, tired, and grumpy.
>>
>>8775532
Yeah the people who run it are assholes who don't care, 100%. And looking at the boom of cons in the past 5ish years their attitude has influenced new cons and their show runners.
>>
File: 1414743757525.gif (701KB, 500x321px) Image search: [Google]
1414743757525.gif
701KB, 500x321px
So is Canada post being as terrible for you guys as it is for me? The holiday season is an actual nightmare with no tracking anymore and everything just seemingly getting lost in mail limbo for ridiculous lengths at a time. I had some last-minute gifts shipped out from just one province over almost two weeks ago (with a 4 day delivery estimate) and still not so much as a failed delivery slip. My cyber monday Honeycolor order was confirmed as arrived in Canada by the origin post tracking at least 10 days ago, and no sign of them either. (Also a bunch of aliexpress stuff, but i'm used to/resigned to waiting on those for ages.) Pretty miffed because I'm leaving to go see family for the holidays tomorrow and if people's gifts don't arrive I won't be able to give them in person/on time
>>
File: o0oBlush.png (338KB, 450x413px) Image search: [Google]
o0oBlush.png
338KB, 450x413px
>>8775709
> tfw no sign of Honeycolor package anywhere either
Welp, the tracking isn't even working. Plus one package from 11.11 on Aliexpress is nowhere to be seen. Pretty sure this is the norm for the holidays though.
>>
>>8773117
Toronto!
>>
>>8775709
My Tenso orders have been arriving via EMS in around 8 days instead of 3-5, and some packages I ordered November 14th still aren't here.
Best wishes, anon. I really, really hope it comes in time. They should start hauling ass this week. I know in my area they've started doing Sunday package deliveries as well to rid some of the load.
>>
>>8775038
Right but that's true of Otakuthon too, and Otakon and other big conventions. Thing is, they expanded programming in a really thoughtful manner, rather than tacking on every little thing.

I get that there was a panic at one point but it's like ten years later and time to grow up, fast.
>>
>>8775383
Frostcon's problem is its organizers are morons. Money running out is just the poop cherry on the shit sundae.
>>
>>8775709
I bought all of my XMas presents for friends the first week of November thinking that would be enough time, but now I'll be lucky if 4/5 packages arrive before 2016...
>>
>>8775256
She copies people because she has no original ideas of her own. She's trying to become the Canadian Nigri but her boobs are way too small and her face is... just no.
>>
>>8776060
What has she been copying? I haven't been following this.
>>
>>8776060
You must be the vendetta-chan that posts her cosplays to the bad costume threads. She's just mediocre, don't give her any attention.
>>
>>8771253
Which IW dress?
>>
File: purelight.png (440KB, 941x523px) Image search: [Google]
purelight.png
440KB, 941x523px
>>8775256
>>8776060
>>8776918
>>8776988
Just looked up Purelight to see what all the fuss is about.
>more than half her costumes are lingerie or bikinis with fabric paint or shit glued on
>costumes she does make are skimpiest possible versions of everything
>average chubby body, not even cute chubby just out of shape and sub-average
>everything poorly constructed
>sameface makeup and shit cheap wigs
>doesn't even credit photographers on any of her uploads
>these fucking hashtags
How the fuck does she have 17k likes? Did she buy them?
>>
>>8777012
>How the fuck does she have 17k likes? Did she buy them?

It's because she features herself on GeekxGirls and a ton of her stuff is bodypaint and trend costumes.
>>
>>8772671
On the FB page you can the organizer's previous work is at Unplugged Expo. So expect this event to be "meh"
It's also sharing prime Saturday time with a seemingly popular Winter Cosplay Skating Event...
Sadly, this looks like another "Me too!" Con. Who's excited to pay cover to go shopping?
>>
>>8777067
Ugh. Unplugged is total garbage.
>>
>>8777067
>>8777832
Year 2 and 3 were okay. Year 4 (this year) wasn't. I'm hoping Unplugged fixes their mistakes.

I'm also hoping these guys do well as we need more winter conventions.
>>
looking forward to AN next year if its as good as this year
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-23-07-24-57.png (316KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-23-07-24-57.png
316KB, 1440x2560px
So Canadian gulls, why haven't we killed ourselves yet?
>>
>>8778775
Australia knows your pain.
>>
File: broke-monopoly-guy.png (21KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
broke-monopoly-guy.png
21KB, 280x280px
>>8778775
There's so much I wanted to buy but can't thanks to the ridiculous dollar.

>mfw someone bought a couple items from my Artist FB page and didn't have the heart to tell them it wasn't $13 CAD when they asked USD or CAD
>I could have made almost $20, they got away with only having to pay $9
>>
Anime Shogatsu's location revealed. Apparently it's at the Bathurst Centre for Arts and Culture.
>>
File: 9qYWhd9.png (430KB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
9qYWhd9.png
430KB, 680x382px
>>8779429
>got a proper website
>staff seems friendly enough
>venue destroys both Unplugged's and Frostcon's first year venues

Okay i'm interested.
>>
>>8779573
Me too, actually. I was skeptical that they could pull it off in less than a month but it looks like they've got some stuff planned.

Of course I can't get my hopes up too much. They did also plan for it to be a two day con which still seems really ambitious.
>>
>>8779577
it's only ambitious if they lack money (especially money), staff, and programming. The last two aren't too hard imo as most terrible cons can even whip some of those together even if the staff and programming suck.

for 10 bucks though, it seems quite worth it and a school is nearby there too. Could be nice for some outdoor school photoshoots.
>>
>>8776988
hey purelight or one of her pleb friends
>>
>>8763043
>their college tuition going up by $200.

but this is actually reasonable
>>
>>8778775
Because I keep hoping it will get better.
>>
>>8779573
Here i'm hoping this goes well enough so we can have at least one decent winter con again since the death of Con-G.
>>
>>8779429
>>8779573
>>8779577
>>8779594

I'm really interested now, applied for the AA. Tables are $50 with 2 badges and chairs, seems reasonable enough.

If I get in I really hope it goes well enough to make it worthwhile...I'm always really uneasy about selling at first year cons, but I think the venue and $10 ticket price will get a lot of people interested.

The only thing I think they're really going to miss the mark on are panels and events atm. Let's hope a lot of people step forward
>>
>>8780269
Panels seem to be a problem at too many cons. I know someone who is trying to get a panel at the con, so hopefully that pans out.
>>
>>8780269
I did the Travel to Japan and Japan on a Budget panel at AN, and I just got back from vacation in Japan. I'm thinking of volunteering to do another traveling to Japan panel for this con. But I have to contact the organizers and see if I can get a projector for a powerpoint presentation?
>>
>>8765638
>hypothermia

wut

isn't the con in June?
>>
>>8777012
She use to be a lot more pandering, use to take photos with Everage, used the bare foot stuff to get a jump at the start. And in general has kept up with her content being sexual, though she has changed her name since working with Everage because she found the foot photos to be "unprofessional" (not really a lie at least)
>>
>>8781180
what was her old name she used with everage?

Also anyone notice how everage is posting straight up foot albums now?
>>
>>8781176
diff anon but if i recall correctly it got really nasty cold at night last year
>>
>>8781176
May, but yeah, it's mostly that it often rains and can still be chilly in the area.
>>
>>8781654
Yeah also curious about the old name, lul. Least the dude seems to be shooting adults now.
>>
>>8781654
>>8782460
Old name was "Frinda Frisk"
>>
>>8782883
Also "Elle cosplay" .... She's changed her name A LOT
>>
>>8782886
Frinda Frisk
Elle
Serenity
Purelight
She fucks over whoever she can and only posts slut tier stuff now, at least with Everage it seemed like she was having fun and not just in it to be famous.
>>
>>8780269
I'm going to be starting to AA soon for the first time and hoping to get in for this con. My biggest problem though is finding a print shop in the gta to get prints done, prefereably within the toronto, north york, or mississauga areas. I was told not to spend over a dollar on 11x17 prints but I can't seem to find anywhere that does that. Can I have some help please?
>>
>>8782939
It bums me out that the CDN scene is getting more fame-hungry bitchy types pop up, at least around the GTA. I've even seen people into cosplay for a long time go to the dark side so to speak and do it for just the attention.

You can preach all you want about slut shaming and how its ok to want attention, but when that's the only thing motivating someone within a costly and labor-intensive hobby, those kind of people become difficult to deal with pretty fast. You can get attention/radically love yourself or whatever without shitting on other people .

Idk shits just sad.
>>
>>8783827
I agree,hole there s nothing I wrong with enjoying the attention from cosplay it's sad to see people that only do it for the attention and fame. It does seem like the gta is getting sure bad for this
>>
>>8783841
While not hole, wtf autocorrect
>>
>>8783827
and Purelight is doing her best to get as popular as quick as possible, not caring who she steps on along the way.
>>
>>8775256
>>8776060
>>8776918
>>8777012
>>8781180
She's even tacky enough to shoot a copy with the same photog Bec used.
>>
File: mostbutnotalldanicopy.jpg (3MB, 2500x3500px) Image search: [Google]
mostbutnotalldanicopy.jpg
3MB, 2500x3500px
>>8784455
forgot to attach this
>>
>>8784455
Isn't Bec currently dating Purelights ex?
>>
>>8784455
Well original ideas are hard!

No seriously damn that's a lot! Looking at some I wonder why she thinks it'll help her get popular like the cartoon starfire just doesn't seem like a character that would get a lot of hits
>>
>>8784469
yep, and he looks 1,000,000x happier with her.
>>
>>8783827
It's a consequence of cosplay no longer just being a hobby for geeks and nerds.

Women who have physical imperfections and shitty personalities who'd never make it as real models know that they'll get showered with attention by sexually frustrated nerds, since most nerds aren't attractive and will beat their meat to anyone with a vagina who's better-looking than they are. It's such tempting bait for women who need a massive ego boost.
>>
>>8777012
I bumped into her during the summer at a con and she was super nice, so at least she has that going for her.

Regardless I agree with everyone else, she's mediocre. I really don't understand why people pay attention to her? The obvious answer would be for t&a but there's so much of that in the community now I don't understand how it would get just /her/ attention and not the 100 other girls from around here attention too.
>>
>>8784535
Because she's shameless with it. Example: All the ass grabbing poses. Shes just stealing Vera Baby's poses and faces since they became friends.
>>
>>8784535
She might be nice on the surface, but theres something to be said about someone who changes 'besties' every few months and cant live with someone for more than a year.
>>
I like turtles
>>
>>8784458
Her cosplays are so..mediocre
>>
File: f171f3128f96607ab841cad4c3c60daf.jpg (717KB, 708x1000px) Image search: [Google]
f171f3128f96607ab841cad4c3c60daf.jpg
717KB, 708x1000px
>>8778802
>pay $58 for a new vest on lacemarket
>think "wow what a steal"
>lose $84 cad
fuck
>>
>>8780699
What kind of panels do you guys want to see?
>>
>>8784889
Panels relating to actual animes and video games and less of the "how to cosplay", " how to photog", "generic guest panel #7254" panels, and no sjw panels.
>>
>>8784928
"How to Cosplay", "How to Form a Cosplay Group", and guest panels are staples of pretty much every convention of every kind and won't be going anywhere.
>>
What a bunch of nerds
>>
>>8784928
Except large parts of the community are about social justice, so "sjw" panels are required. Just because you've been triggered and can't deal with people interested in the wellbeing of the community, diversity, etc, doesn't mean your complaints are valid.
>>
>>8784928
aka i don't care about what anyone actually likes or does i just wanna circlejerk about whatever im into
>>
>>8785114
Gee... going to an anime con and expecting most content being actual anime is apparently a taboo these days.

Anime cons are places where people go to circle jerk about anime. If you don't like it, look for other cons that cater more to your interests.
>>
>>8785111
All that's required is a panel on fan etiquette. You don't need several hours of con time just telling people to not be assholes. Report assholes to con staff. If con staff ignore you, complain to their department heads. If that doesn't work, complain wherever the con asks for feedback once it's over. If even that doesn't work, don't waste your money going to a con where the staff don't give a shit about you. You don't need 6+ hours of con time to say "don't be an asshole".
>>
>>8784469
Yep, which must be nice for him since they're basically the same person.
>>
File: 7nPIzZg.jpg (22KB, 375x305px) Image search: [Google]
7nPIzZg.jpg
22KB, 375x305px
>>8785111
>not understand what sjw is

You do realize when many on the internet say sjw they referring to the tumblrette crap that's been heavy these days and have led to crap like yoga getting banned, censorship in video games, Anita, etc.

Actual movements at cons that include "Cosplay is not Consent" is held separate from that the tumblrette sjws stuff. Those (stuff like Cosplay is not Consent) are important and needed at cons.
>>
>>8785047
would be nice if there was "less" of them at least and not take up like 75% of the panels.
>>
>>8783475
I use Print Three in Mississauga. 11x17s there are about 49 cents. Url to the site has "airport" on it, that's how you know it's the right one.
>>
File: AnimeShogatsu-logo.png (32KB, 360x144px) Image search: [Google]
AnimeShogatsu-logo.png
32KB, 360x144px
While really want Anime Shogatsu to do well, I do worry that it might lose a chunk of what could be its potential audience due to that skating event happening at the same time. I hope Shogatsu does decide to change the date to a week before or after to avoid that.
>>
>>8785294
Except not really. Your average shitlord lumps it all in together. There's a ton of dickbags who think "Cosplay is not Consent" is tumblerina bs, so those terms aren't actually useful.
>>
>>8785336
Why do you even care? This has all the makings of a fucking disaster. Less than a month of advertising which means no one will show up, at the same time as an established event (skating), during a month that people are poor as fuck in (anyone in business can tell you Jan-Feb is awful), and in a city already waaaaay overpacked with cons.

Oh and it's by an ex-Unplugged staffer, so you know they have GREAT experience running a AAA event.
>>
File: 287706-319.jpg (16KB, 342x192px) Image search: [Google]
287706-319.jpg
16KB, 342x192px
>>8785348
I just simply want a winter convention that isn't fucking DTAC. Also 10 dollars for the con is pretty cheap.

Also one person who use to work at Unplugged doesn't translate to what Unplugged was.
>>
>>8785349
It really depends on who you talk to. SJWs and anti-SJWs both have crazy in them. Anti- tends to be worse just because their mission isn't usually focused on trying to do good, but trying to troll against perceived SJW-ness.

But yeah, there's a lot of screaming in the SJW camp as well, and a lot of censorship in the Anti- camp. The problem I have is that no matter what you do, both sides have major intellectual dishonesty. I'm a little more SJW-leaning because I think it comes from a good place and I see a lot of people who do it right, while I've yet to see an Anti- who's not a total cunt and just wants the right to call people niggers and faggots on the internet.

Vrry subjective, doe.
>>
>>8785348
>and in a city already waaaaay overpacked with cons.

Yes cause that skating even is going to be literally 3-4th skating event just this winter.

Also..winter... where we only got DTAC and not even fucking Frostcon now. (I still really miss Con-G)

10 bucks is quite cheap so even someone as broke as me can go.
>>
>>8785358

This is a different anon, but I respectfully disagree with you. The thing I hate about SJWs (and differentiate from social justice, which is to understand the many issues that underprivileged people face and work to correct them in the real world) is that they are completely self serving, insular, and apt to blame anything in their situation to 'I'm under privileged.' They can't get a boyfriend? They're underprivileged. They can't get what they want? Must be the white cis het patriarchy oppressing them.

I first encountered actual social justice when I was doing my last year of grad school (not before then, because this is not a taught concept in Europe where I was studying) and I was going around doing interviews. A lot of the social workers I talked to were truly passionate about social justice and making differences for people who normally don't get access to healthcare. And that, I can get behind.

And I guess that is why I'm anti-SJW. A vast majority of these people don't want to help. Heck, even when SJW concepts are portrayed 'positively' on sites like the Huffington, they seem so shallow and self-regarding that I'd rather not be associated with these ideas. I'd rather just do my own part in real life to help with social justice.
>>
>>8784458
Her cosplay is definitely less than stellar, but I don't know that this is copying, all the fame whore girls are doing a lot of these costumes right now (and most of the girls on here are game whores)
>>
>>8785437
That time when too many girls cosplays Ryuko...
>>
>>8785347
There are idiots who think all yaoi panels are sjw bs, too. Want to run a panel on the guys from Free! stuffing hotdogs in each other's buns? Prepare for someone to say that you're a tumblrina who needs to stfu.
>>
>>8785358
I hate SJW shit because so much of it doesn't come from an honest place. It comes from a place of hatred of innocent people because someone in some group they are a part of was an asshole. I'm not cis scum just because some cis person who I don't know wouldn't use your prefered pronouns, and hating them instead of educating them isn't the solution. The thing about SJWs is that, on the surface, they look like they're doing a good thing, but as you dig deeper into their culture, you see that they're far from the angels that they make themselves out to be. I hate how it's cool to insult people with "nigger" and "faggot" on the Internet, too, but I'm convinced that sjws won't do shit to change that unless thèy change their methods.
>>
>>8785379
This.
>>
>>8785348
Consider this. Skating is fun, but it's no con. It's just a meet. It might've been popular (apparently it's run by a guy who used to hold meets all the time, including skate meets?) but there's only so much you can do there. The prospect of another con that isn't just DTAC, especially since FrostCon died, will interest people. You won't get bothered by normies either, while it's possible that could happen at a skating rink.

In any case, I was skeptical about them pulling this off in less than a month but it seems like there's some interest and they already have a venue. If they can get enough events and activity happening then hey, we got something new to look forward to.
>>
>>8785595
only part is that I REALLY hope they move it to another date as I don't want this to go out and die due to people going skating instead of attending an actual con.
>>
>>8785597
Wouldn't it be easier to change the date if the skating event? Just an idea.
>>
>>8785604
It's possible that they might have only been able to book the venue for a certain day or two.

Of course, the skating meet could always be moved, since that's more public.
>>
>>8785604
The organizer of the skating event seems to have already told Anime Shogatsu when they announced their date that they already had a skating event on that day. Anime Shogatsu didn't seem interested in changing it however, which could hurt them as the skating event has been planned for much longer and has much MUCH more people planning to go.
>>
>>8785619
But they didn't have to actually book a venue or anything so in the interest of supporting the community it would be nice to see the skating event rescheduled. Especially since there are SO many skating events in the winter and so few cons.
>>
>>8785627
And, again, it's probably easier to reschedule a skating meet. Sure, it might bite that you planned it for one day only for a con to take place that day, but... snow or not, it's still winter. There'll be time in February.
>>
>>8785627
Agreed and for us to possibly have a proper winter con scene in comparison to our overpacked summer con scene, I really hope at least the skating is moved.
>>
>>8785627
Plus there are at least 2 other skating events scheduled for the month of January alone... Is another really even needed?
>>
the skating event is antonio's attempt to be in control once again in the cosplay picnics. the cosplay hangout group took up the reigns about a year ago now? I think the last two he made were complete (or almost complete) flops... something at the Corktown Common, and then a straight up cancelled Fall's Hallow event. I doubt it'll change.
>>
something tells me that antonio won't even be sad if anime shogatsu flops as a result of his skating event. frostcon is on hiatus this year, so it'd be annoying to have competition next year when it returns.
>>
>>8785708
>>8785705
Honestly that sounds pretty pathetic. I don't know the guy but it's not a nice picture to be painted.
>>
>>8785791
i'm not antonio and don't know the guy, but if what this anon said is true. he at least gave them fair warning about the schedule conflict.

>>8785619
>The organizer of the skating event seems to have already told Anime Shogatsu when they announced their date that they already had a skating event on that day. Anime Shogatsu didn't seem interested in changing it however
>>
>>8785866
you have to wonder why they would not reschedule it... anyone that values the cosplay community in toronto would certainly understand that moving the skating event is the right thing to do in order to please the most amount of people with the least amount of headache
>>
>>8785889
i don't know all the details of the situation. but from what's been posted here, i think the onus is on anime shogatsu to reschedule since the skating event was established before their event. however if the circumstances were a bit different and the venue was only available for that particular date, and anime shogatsu reached out to antonio and asked him politely to reschedule for xyz reason and antonio declined than i would lean in favour of anime shogatsu with antonio being a dick in this instance.
>>
>>8785909
It's a lot harder to book a venue than to pick a random day to go skating. Given the number of skating events vs number of winter cons I think skating should reschedule regardless
>>
>>8785791
I personally would like to have both Frostcon and Anime Shogatsu co-exist so we can an actual winter scene going.
>>
>>8785989
The only reason I can imagine the skating not being rescheduled is if they literally had to schedule it with the Harbourfront Centre guys.
>>
>>8786044
I remember seeing Antonio post about asking if cosplayers would be able to stay past closing hours for the Harbourfront Centre. I doubt anyone would want to stay that long.

I get that he's planned this for a while and then something rolls along on the same day, but that something has more to offer and has potential. He just needs to swallow his pride and understand that skating can happen literally any weekend during the winter. We still have a fucking month left too, that gives people ample time to think about their schedule if he reschedules it like "alright so I guess the skate is some time in February, I'll find time off for that" or something. He seems really miffed about it, like he posted on the con's event page how it's the same day as his skating meet and how he emphasized that his event is FREE (even though you'd still have to pay to skate, but whatever). I guess it's also because FrostCon isn't happening and he might see this as a competitor? Even though it's possible for them to co-exist as >>8786043 pointed out. It's not like there's only one weekend in winter anyway.
>>
I feel like we have way too many "hangout" events anyway. If we just stuck to one hangout event quarterly and hyped those up more, more people would attend. But yeah go have your 4th cosplay skate of the year if you want.
>>
I had actually spoken to the guy in charge of Anime Shogatsu saying that he didn't want to reschedule because he thought that it would be nice to have another event happening in case of overflow so that people could have another cosplay event to go to.

I actually wonder what the attendance cap is.
>>
>>8786482
i think that's a little ambitious/presumptuous on his part, especially for a first yr con imho
>>
>>8786611
>>8786482

Well if one thinks about it, he may kinda have a point with Katsu being in Feb and MTAC in March. However I see no reason not to move it a week before or after unless the venue is available for the date change.
>>
>>8786260
thing is that most of these are done by different people too. CHG does it once a month, while a bunch of other people on the other hand make their own events too which is why we got 2 skating, 1 con, and 1 picnic in January.
>>
>>8786482
I can see it now
"Oh man, Anime Shogatsu is so packed! Time to travel from Bathurst and Bloor to... Harbourfront...."

Haha... No thanks. I agree that it's presumptuous. I can't say I'm surprised tho given Unplugged thought that the International Centre was a good place to host a con.
>>
>>8784455
hahaha holy shit i just saw this. what the fuck is this girl's DEAL?
>>
You know, Anime Shogatsu may be in luck if the ice is not frozen enough on the weekend of the cosplay skate. With how weather's been in southern Ontario this year so far, he has a chance.

Then again, I'm not from Toronto and know next to nothing about these event locations, so maybe the skating event is indoor for all I know.

The next best thing will be that Anime Shogatsu's attendance will be mostly adults, and all of the loud and obnoxious kids who frequent anime cons these days will choose the skating event instead because "wah, I gotz no moneyz ;_;".
>>
>>8786968
It snowed pretty hard today though, so it looks like winter's finally here. Skating meets are always outdoors.
>>
File: 1451250014145.jpg (19KB, 500x451px) Image search: [Google]
1451250014145.jpg
19KB, 500x451px
>>8787011
looked like it rained later too, if its freezing rain and the power goes out like two years ago I'll be fucking pissed.
>>
About Anime Shogatsu, how long does it usually take to start up a con? They're trying to pull it off in a month. I would imagine these things take at least a few months of preparation, especially for newer cons.
>>
>>8788714
Frostcon managed to do it and if I remember correctly they had venue and money troubles. If these guys got those, they might be fine
>>
File: 1449550491003.png (100KB, 2560x1443px) Image search: [Google]
1449550491003.png
100KB, 2560x1443px
Lost my trip, lost my ways, lost my passion...

But at least I still got dank memes.

Is 25 too old to go to these things now? (also hello to anyone that still remembers me)
>>
>>8788870
Hello (doesn't know who you are, sorry) anyways, I'm 26 and I still do these things and I know older people who still do it too.
>>
File: Screenshot (1).png (977KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (1).png
977KB, 1280x800px
>>8788894
>sorry
YOU BETTER FUCKING BE SORRY.

I just have this fucking 4chan mentality of looking like I'm a fucking pedo/retard. This is the one thing that even if I left this place, I never feel comfortable around kids/teenagers.
>>
>>8788870
>Is 25 too old to go to these things now? (also hello to anyone that still remembers me)

No who the fuck told you that bullshit
>>
>>8788894
>>8788904
More than half the anime fandom at cons is 45+ at this point. Hell, Otakon is 22 years old at this point, which would make its establishing staff (presumably in their 20s at its start) around 40-something if not older. I know for a FACT a bunch of those dudes and ladies are still around having been on staff.

Cons aren't a young person's game despite what some shitlords might say.
>>
>>8788904
are you a pedo though?
>>
>>8789112

I think the issue is your responsibilities shift. Going from partying at the con to help the congoers have fun while dispensing words of wisdom
>>
>>8789504
Not a pedo, not even a lolicon actually.
>>
>>8789808
Dunno about that. Lots of 30+ folks attend Dragon*Con parties. Heck, probably the majority is in the 30+ age bracket, and they have a wild time.
>>
>>8789112
More than half of the staff is 30+ maybe. At anime cons, just take a look around and you'll see that the most common attendee age is 14-22. The programming even caters to them. If more than half of anime con attendees were 30+ or 45+, we'd see a hell of a lot more programming about anime from the 70s to the 90s since most people in those age groups tend to gravitate to shows they watched when they were young instead of recent stuff.
>>
>>8790382

I mean to say that people our age either grow out of anime or decide that if we are stayimg we are going teach the new blood learn from our personal experiences. I remember the day I went to a new maid cafe and teach people who was here for their first time some of the common rules of a maid cafe such as no unauthorized photography.
>>
So AN prereg tickets are going to go on sale soon. Any predictions on how fast the discounted admissions will go this year?
>>
>>8791973
Within an hour, even though AN isn't worth a cent these days.
>>
>>8763141
>I just want to go to a local con and have fun is that too much to ask.
start a local con then? there's absolutely nothing 'local' about rev.
>>
>>8791973
>>8792113
It is showing 2000 left but anyone who clicks it has theirs reserved for 2 hours. Twitter has a link, don't see one on the main site.
>>
>>8763918
>wrestler being accidentally tossed into the art gallery and destroying someone's painting
>return of the lame BBQ tent instead of the glorious fleet of food trucks from a couple of years ago
>popular fandoms (touhou, kancolle, current hot fujoshi thing) being put into too-small panel rooms while retarded game show and meme panels get the big rooms
>underattended Japanese voice actor/creator panels because people are filthy casuals
>someone caught masturbating in the after midnight hentai screening
>hotel toilets clogged and flooded again
>dealer's room signage for vendors/crafters/doujinshi again not matching the layout on the map
>video room programming changing at the last minute (do the DVDs get lost every year or what?)
>>
>>8770538
Anything popular enough to line up for, they do check, including asking you to flip the badge over if only the back is showing so they can confirm what day it's for. Doubly so if you have to show ID for the 18+ panels. They are very cool about it though, not militant at all.
>>
>>8770573
Reports posted here said a few people showed up but I can't recall details. I bet it'd help if someone brought music along.
>>
>>8792256
I think only a few people showed up to see if there was anything to it? Most people were probably at the room party.
>>
>>8772481
Best AN panels from last year: (that I attended)
The Last Imperial Fleet - hosted by old history guy, really knew his stuff. Go see whatever topic he covers this year, it'll be interesting
Asami Shimoda Q&A - She was a total riot and qt 3.14. Made me wish I went to more voice actor panels. Especially if they voice Idolm@ster or Love Live characters. It had a bonus of a platoon of tall fat guys in (clean) IM@S shirts in front row and a group of cute Japanese tourists in the back row going "sugoi!" when they saw one stand up to ask a question.
>>
>>8780269
Corky, you sell the DS covers right? If so, do you still have the lumpy space princess ones? My friend damaged hers and wants to purchase a replacement. We're planning to go to Shogatsu, so hopefully you get in the AA!
>>
>>8792232
Officially sold out of the cheaper passes in 40 minutes, I think, although Eventbrite still has them marked as unavailable as opposed to sold out.
>>
>>8792295
I hope so too! 3DS or 3DSXL? If I get in I'll make an extra just for them :)
>>
>>8792314
jfc im actually so salty
>got home unexpectedly late tonight due to ice on the roads
>boot up my laptop
>immediately load the eventbrite
>cheaper weekend passes and all tea party tickets sold out already
>well fuck
>>
>>8792343
Is the tea party actually worthwhile to attend? Every time I pass by it always seems kinda cringey...
>>
Does anyone know what the background is on this?
https://www.facebook com/AKIBAKISSA

It's a little sketchy that they're asking for crowdfunding to do the basic renovations in their space.
>>
>>8766067
I want to go but I don't have any friends who are into anime...
>>
>>8792359
not really. a lot of new business ventures have higher than expected startup costs. often times it's a poor business plan and they underestimate the general costs. other times it's unexpected costs that suddenly creep up on them, like faulty drains in the washrooms. usually if a business is low on funds, they just go to the bank and ask for more money, but if their credit is maxed out and they tapped out all their friends and family. crowdfunding seems to be the norm in today's take no responsibility society.
>>
>>8777012
They are both nice very nice people especially Cloudbreak, I havn't known Bec for as long but shes always been really pleasant to be around. I can't even count the solids her boyfriend has done for me. They both deserve all the good things that come to them.
>>
>>8792247
Someone was caught masturbating at another con I went to. Twice. Turns out he was sitting right behind me the second time. Before anyone asks, he kept it in his pants, so I didn't get hit by his projectile.
>>
>>8792353
that's cuz we make the itas sit in the back......

no seriously, $25 to spend time with guest and friend is super cheap despite everyone lamenting the price.... normal tickets at other cons go for $40+ depending on logistics
>>
>>8792413
I suppose on the upside it gives them an idea of how much clientele they're going to have. There was a maid cafe in markham that closed down several years ago but maybe a manga cafe can do better?
>>
>>8792402
Then go by yourself.
>>
>>8771369
Oh hey, didn't know you were in Japan.
Congrats.
>>
>>8792353
I've gone the past two years and found it really worthwhile, even if they (wisely?) don't entrust a room of lolitas with knives for their scones
Obviously some things about it could stand to change/improve, but it's a reasonable price, good guests, and it's a really good time especially if you go with friends; really sad I missed out on it the one time I wont have to commute across town for it
>>
>>8790648
you know people 30+ don't just watch the same animes over and over from the 80s..they watch current stuff too usually
>>
>>8792868
Commuting across town? Where do you come from? Why not just get a hotel?
>>
>>8792917
Been commuting from scarborough via ttc for years because university poorfag
Finally got a hotel booked this year though, for the first time. Looking forward to actually being able to take advantage of stuff without worrying so much about timing limitations
>>
>>8792908
Autistic people stick with the same shit for decades though.
>>
>>8792925
TTC from there must take like... two hours or something. It's good that you got a hotel now though
>>
>>8792908
Many do. That's why Name That Tune replays the same music every year from the same few anime every year. I'm convinced the guy who runs that hasn't watched anything "new" since 2005.
>>
>>8792943
Yep, two hours commute exactly. Not so bad when it's with a friend, but i'm so relieved not to have to do that again this year.
Also heads up, tea party tickets opened back up again! I actually just managed to snag one and I'm so relieved I could cry.
Any bets on who the guests will be this year? BtSSB/AatP last year, JetJ the year before...my hopes are high
>>
>>8792925
Which hotel did you book? I'm wondering if the International Plaza really gets filled up the moment the last AN is done or if I should just look elsewhere
>>
>>8792990
You're right about IP, it was booked solid from the start. We'd been considering the Crowne Plaza, but it had sold out like a day before I booked and just not been updated on the AN page yet. Ended up just booking Quality Suites. Cheaper, huge rooms, and still really nicely close by; can't complain
>>
>>8792707
It's no fun when you go alone.
>>
>>8793200
Sure it is.
I always do it. Even when I've gone with friends, we ended up splitting up.
If you're alone, the weekend becomes all about what YOU want to do. You won't get dragged to things you don't care about. You won't be forced to choose between what you want to do and what the other person wants to do.
>>
>>8793313
Not to mention, you won't waste precious time trying to find people in huge crowds. I can't even count how many times people tell me they missed something they really wanted to do because they were too busy trying to find that friend of theirs who was poking around in the Dealers' Room.
>>
>>8792337
It was a 3DS. Thank you, I will let her know!
>>
>>8792402
This is how you make friends that are into anime
>>
>>8793016
I booked two rooms in the Sheraton like, two days after the intial hotels opened up (like, in July or August or whatever), and the nice lady on the phone told me I'd booked the last two rooms for there. Another friend of mine called to try and book there a day or so later and had no luck, so lady on the phone wasn't lying. If spots have opened up since, that's not too bad, but holy shit, hotels were a shitshow this year
>>
>>8793313
I guess the thing is being lonely when you are not with someone. And having nothing to do when there is down time. I have been to cons alone before and it sucks.
>>
>>8793715
Depending on the con, you can use down time to go look at cosplayers. You can conquer loneliness by going to panels or starting conversations with people.
>>
>>8793564
How?
Do I just start talking to someone randomly?

I can never seem to find the right moment to talk to someone :/
>>
>>8793313
>>8793316
I guess, but I still feel lonely and bored if it's just me. I rather have someone to talk and chat with while we're at the panels and walking around.
>>
>>8794101
Ahh I feel you're pain. only reason I've never bothered going back to any con. The awkward conversations and avoiding eye contact.
also Vancouver skytrain afterwards is just not fun.
>>
>>8794101
Wearing something to represent what you're a fan of helps. Don't be afraid to talk to people wearing or holding something you'e a fan of and don't be afraid to sit next to strangers if there isn't much seating, either.

Example from Anime North:
I saw a girl I follow on YouTube, told her I thought it was cool that she did this collab with this other youtuber, she said "Oh, she's here, have you seen her yet?" and I was like "No" and she said they'd be at the Bad Fanfiction panel, and I was like "Cool."
Later that day my phone was dying, and all the outlets had someone charging their phone. I went up to this guy and asked if I could use the other spot on the outlet, and he agreed and we had a great conversation. I told him about what the Youtuber said, and that I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to a Bad Fanfiction panel, because I'm not into fanfiction, and he was like "You don't have to be, it's for lauging at people who write fanfiction." There was a panel I was going to right after it in the room next door, so I went. 1st Youtuber was there, 2nd wasn't, whatever, stayed for the panel, it was hilarious. At the end of the panel I saw that the guy next to me was reading a Junji Ito manga, who I am a massive fan of, so I started talking to him about it, asked him If he was going to the Horror and Gore panel right after, and he said yeah, and I ended up hanging out with him and his girlfriend until I left the con for the day.

So there you go, that's how you make friends.
>>
>>8794101
Yes? I guess there's a game of social cues to play, but most interactions all follow the same 'steps' so it's really not that hard.

>look for someone who seems open to interaction i.e.someone who's not busy with anything at the moment
>observe for a conversation starter that you could actually talk about: clothes, action, what they're reading, whatever
>make positive comment
>if they reply positive, good!
> if not, leave them alone and rinse&repeat
>>
>>8794101
Why not just pay some people to be your friends for the day?
>>
What do you do if people in this community, or more specifically this thread, dislike you?
>>
>>8795195
suck it up i guess? what kind of passive aggressive bullshit question is that?
>>
>>8792359
I think they have the money but just want to milk anime fans in the area for what they got. It seems pretty obvious that they will be opening regardless of whether they meet their "goal" or not and their goal is also kind of unreasonable kind of like they just put it there so that they wouldn't have a real cap so that ppl stop donating.
>>
File: 1451364678449.png (262KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1451364678449.png
262KB, 512x512px
How much does an anime north weekend pass go for in private sale?

[spoiler] I wish to make some profit [/spoiler]
>>
Anyone going to A Taste of Animethon this January?

It's at Shaw conference this year but does that mean there will be more stuff to do?
>>
>>8795195
Who's got it out for you?
>>
>>8795597
Going here.
Not sure if more stuff is going to be announced, but so far looks like all the usual.
>>
>>8792421
Bec is a racist attention whore. Her bf is legit nice though.
>>
>>8795686
The IRC group that shows up to every convention.
>>
>>8796063
Wonk wonk. Bec isn't racist. Attention whore, maybe. Hypocritical, maybe. Racist? Nah.
>>
>>8767981
corky, you're the cutest person alive.
>>
>>8796073
I'm guessing you're talking about the channel for toronto on rizon? Who cares. Most them probably browse /r9k/ unironically
>>
>>8795686
Going, so far haven't seen anything new announced either.

>>8796080
Not original poster but I can see where they're coming from. She has stated several times how ugly dark skin is and goes out of her way to paint/photoshop herself white. That's at the very least self-hating and toeing the racism line.
>>
>>8796164
Not liking dark skin doesn't have anything to do with racism though.Fair skin is an attractive trait in East Asian societies because it shows you're not a common laborer, not because everyone wants to be Caucasian. Unless she's saying how ugly people with dark skin is, I wouldn't qualify her as "toeing the racism line".
>>
File: srna-blushing.gif (2MB, 480x369px) Image search: [Google]
srna-blushing.gif
2MB, 480x369px
>>8796100
doushio, what did I do to deserve this?
>>
>>8796187
She says she is ugly because she has dark skin and african-canadian features/is mixed.
>>
>>8796258
no, she says she ugly (because of her dark skin) because it gets her attention and a lot of "Oh don't say that!!!"
>>
>>8770384
I'll be going. Apart from Ottawa CC, it's the only con close enough to my place that I can bus there. Sucks, not having a car and only having normie friends.
>>
>>8796124
Yeah, but whenever there's a meetup they are half the people there.
You're probably right though
>>
>>8796266
That may be her actual reasoning? But she definitely says she thinks she is ugly because she "is black."
>>
Can anyone recommend some good photographers in the GTA?
>>
>>8796187
If she was a pale white girl and said that shit everyone would be calling her racist.
>>
>>8796476
seconding this request: my regular photographer ended up raveled up in local drama, became suddenly unreliable and basically quit altogether, so i'm in search of a new one too
>>
>>8796476
Girl named caitlyn beamer was pretty good at katsu. Told me she was from toronto too so she might frequent AN. I think she had a facebook but i lost her tumblr.
>>
So seems we are now at 2 Skating events,1 picnic and a Con (Anime Shogatsu)

Why is January, the month that is suppose to be dead, not so dead? (though I am happy that a con is scheduled)
>>
>>8797100
Isn't there another con in Kitchener/waters too, tri-con or something thought that was January too
>>
I'm just getting back into cosplay, whats the vancouver community like?
>>
>>8797100
I wish they would move a skatinf event to February. It is a bit much to have TWO in one month!
>>
>>8797216
There's bound to be something.
>>
>>8796907
but she isn't a pale white girl. It's self-hatred, and she uses cosplay as a way to deal with it.
>>
>>8797100
>a picnic
>in january
>waitwhat.jpg
>>
File: 4957042.jpg (54KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
4957042.jpg
54KB, 620x400px
>>8762576
>biggest riot
obviously never seen Vancouver getting knocked out of the playoffs
>>
>>8797536
maybe they mean potluck?
>>
File: IMG_2235.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2235.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>8792800
Thanks! I got back right before Christmas and picked up some nice souvenirs.
>>
>>8797563
>>8797566
No it is a picnic.
>>
Anyone have any luck getting a room at the international plaza while being on the waiting list for cancellations? I think Im 15th on the list for two queen rooms so im hoping that there will be a lot of cancellations around the time of the con. I also have a room booked at the shearton as back up.
>>
>>8797636
>that haul
Fuck yeah.
>>
File: CFv0c2pUEAImDIg.jpg large.jpg (110KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CFv0c2pUEAImDIg.jpg large.jpg
110KB, 768x1024px
>>8770573
>>
>>>/a/135721875
Oh boy
>>
>>8798716
>2 beds per 5 people

How fat do you have to be to not fit five people on two beds? Or even just sleep on the floor.
>>
Animethon just announced a lolita themed tea party. Let's see how fast this goes down the drain...
>>
>>8799164
The local comm isn't going to be part of it. They weren't even notified. Sounds like a mess already.
>>
>>8797125
It's a steamy turd so let's just pretend it doesn't exist. The organizer's an asshat.
>>8799164
Ita thread material incoming.
>>
>>8799164
>>8799172
>>8799344
Lolita isn't mandatory for people going to the party and tickets aren't available for preorder either. It's going to be a trainwreck.
>>
File: shogatsu.png (47KB, 526x214px) Image search: [Google]
shogatsu.png
47KB, 526x214px
Anime Shogatsu is recruiting guests. Within the same month of their running.

This is going to be popcorn-worthy.
>>
File: this is how the world ends.jpg (11KB, 219x81px) Image search: [Google]
this is how the world ends.jpg
11KB, 219x81px
"Kill me"
>>
>>8799855
> how low can you go
>>
>>8799164
I love loli's! I can't believe animethon would do that! Definitely going just to see this!
>>
Canadian dollar is worse than Australian dollar...

Fuckkkkkk
>>
>being this glad that DRM wasn't a thing in console gaming that I can actually buy games cheap and used with the low Canadian dollar.
>Fuck Microsoft for trying to make that a thing.
>>
>>8797636
Daaaamn I've been looking for some Suntory in Canada but it's no where to be found.
>>
>>8800103
Are they having the loli party at Taste of Animethon as well?
>>
can somebody link the fb event pages of the skating events and the picnics? I guess there's so many different groups of people all trying to be "the person" who gets to put their name on the picnic hype train. It's hard to keep up.

We've already got some picnics booked in the April season that are way too early and seemingly just meant to mess with the current annual status quo Kariya Park picnic in late April.
>>
>>8796476
Nigel Murray Photography does some pretty good stuff.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.