[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1407933553061.jpg (100KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1407933553061.jpg
100KB, 640x800px
Is there much of a benefit of knowing multiple languages?

Should I be trying to leverage this somehow in interviews or would I just look like an idiot?

I know Russian and I'm also learning Spanish right now.

I imagine it would be useful for better communication internationally or maybe even in the present company but is this worth even bringing up in most cases?
>>
Linguist here.

If you already know Russian or Spanish contacts or can think of a scenario in which acquiring some Russian or Spanish-speaking contacts will be of use to you (are you running guns, drugs, or subcontracting a garden maintenance service?) it's pretty much a waste of time. They do have good literature though.

English is the current business lingua franca so don't expect high fliers to care about other languages too much unless you're going into diplomacy or NGO work.
>>
>>1093633

Whoops. That should be *Unless you already know...

My bad.
>>
Funny, I know Spanish but I'm learning Russian. Beautiful language. I also admire the culture.

My next goal after Russian is Mandarin Chinese.

I feel like learning a language is great for getting to know people and developing trust.

I didn't know Russian when I went to Russia (still don't) and it would have made the trip better to know it.

When I speak Spanish I can get to know people so much better and on a deeper level.

I wanted to learn German before they became culturally enriched. Same with French. I view those languages as pointless now.

Spanish is good because the population is growing, but it is not an important intellectual language.
>>
>>1093633
>English is the current business lingua franca so don't expect high fliers to care about other languages too much unless you're going into diplomacy or NGO work.

Makes sense but in a few job listings I've seen "bilingualism an asset" mentioned. No specific other language was mentioned though.

I'm learning Spanish for other reasons(I am in love with Argentina and Chile and wish to live there at some point, or at least stay a few months of the year).

Was just wondering if I should even bother mentioning this or if I should just add it to resume and linkedin only and not really bring it up otherwise.
>>
>>1093642

Bring it up if it's relevant to the job.
>>
>>1093639
>Learning Russian and Mandarin

Sorry to disappoint you but I feel as though this might be a bit of a waste of time.

Russian seems too difficult to get to a decent proficiency unless you already speak a Slavic language. You're not really ever going to get to a level at which you'll be similar to a native speak and people won't be cringing at your speech.

Mandarin can't be any different...
>>
Arabs are stupid with their money. Learn Arabic and pretend to be Muslim. They don't believe in any sort of loans with interest. Basically free money. Got a $5K interest free loan from my Muslim friend's Dad when I was 19 to start my cleaning business. He then told me to not worry about paying him back as it was just Zakat.
>>
>>1093654
Good idea.

>TFW no rich arab oil prince bro to give me money
>>
>>1093663
They aren't even rich. His Dad is a taxi driver and his Mom works at a grocery store.
>>
>>1093645
> Russian seems too difficult to get to a decent proficiency unless you already speak a Slavic language. You're not really ever going to get to a level at which you'll be similar to a native speak and people won't be cringing at your speech.

Several Finns talk Russian like natives over just few years of living there. Finnish has zero relation to Russian, it's not even a slavic language.

Same for Mandarin, expats learn to talk like natives in a few years. No idea where your scaremongering comes from.
>>
>>1093654
>arab showing great hospitality
>ZOMG WHAT A DUMBASS
don't be like this

i think that language studying is good for learning how people communicate. it's wild to see how different japanese is from english, how asians pass ideas differently than europeans. but it won't help much with business, unless you know you're going to be working in/with a country for a long time
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.