[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal Finance: Paying Interest On Entertainment Items?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: steam.png (153KB, 3050x2233px) Image search: [Google]
steam.png
153KB, 3050x2233px
I have a compulsive spending habit - specifically, I buy games on steam that I never play or never finish. I spent hundreds of dollars last month. I'm working on trying to stay within a budget but the urge to spend is stronger than my willpower.

I've thought about trying to "hire" someone to be my friend on steam. They monitor my steam collection by checking out my profile and charge me a percentage of everything I buy. In addition, I'd owe him a free game regularly for his service. So if I buy a $60 game and I owe say, 15% of everything I purchase on steam, he bills me $9 as a fee for spending money on games. In addition, he get's a free game every week or month.

It would mean basically giving money away as punishment for not sticking to my goals which would, in theory, be a deterrent to spending money on games frivolously.

Would this be something that someone would likely go for if I advertised it on CL or something?
>>
>>1091728
Attack the cause, not the effect

The cause of your problem is that you're a fucking loser who sits at home all day on Steam and you have nothing to do so you buy games

Jist fucking leave the house more. Pick up golf I don't know, go to the store and just eat ice cream all day do something
>>
You just identified the problem. Why exactly CANT you just stop doing this?
You're clearly aware of it.
>>
>>1091746
I'm picky about games so I'll pick one up and if I don't like it, I just move on to the next. I also have a relatively short attention span but always want to be playing one. I don't know if compulsive is the right word but I feel like if someone else saw whenever I bought a new game and they billed me for it it might be embarrassing enough to stop.
>>
>>1091728
>It would mean basically giving money away as punishment for not sticking to my goals which would, in theory, be a deterrent to spending money on games frivolously.
So you're blowing money on nothing and your trick is to punish yourself with blowing money on nothing?

You don't sound like the type to respond well to those type of threats.
>>
>>1091752
I think it more has to do with the fact that I'd owe someone else money for all the money I spend. It's a little embarrassing. Also, I get something out of playing all those games, even if I don't finish them. I just need something to slow me down. I feel it would be good incentive if I were getting charged a hefty interest.
>>
>>1091749
Just stop doing it idiot.

It's that simple.

Step 1:
Identify something is detrimental in some way/you don't wish to spend your time or money on it anymore

Step 2:
Stop doing it, just don't do it anymore.
>>
>>1091753
try sucking a dick for every game you buy.
>>
>>1091753
Why don't you just pirate games?
>>
>>1091754
Okay, since we've abandoned answering the question I asked in the OP I'll move forward. Just don't go through with this idea.
>>
>>1091762
Your idea of spending even more to so called "financially cuck" yourself into feeling ashamed is ridiculous.

Are you even spending your money or your parents'?
>>
>>1091764
I'd be spending my own. I've been financially independent of my parents for over a decade.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.