[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Work vehicle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Message_1442793012951.jpg (990KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Message_1442793012951.jpg
990KB, 2560x1440px
I have a rental property currently and I'm buying another in a few months. My old s10 blazer isn't the best at doing the home depot trips. I've read I can "write off" the expenses of a business vehicle(repairs/taxes/fuel/purchase price).
So say I claim I use it 50% for work I can "write off" 50% of the cost.

Question is:
If I spend $6000 on truck payments a year and claim half those miles were for business does the gov just cut me a check for $3000 at the end of the year?

Is it that easy if I keep my recites etc.
>>
>>1089475
It doesn't work quite that way, it's more of a percentage of your income tax that is reduced. The government is not going to pay you to run a business.

Yes keep your receipts, go to a good tax guy next year, and your taxes won't be as ridiculous, but "writing it off" doesn't work like that.

I'm sorry this is shit news, it was like getting stabbed when I found this out two years ago when I started my business.

As for your truck that you already have, drive it until repairs cost more than a payment, then get a loan on a new vehicle.
>>
>>1089475
Ok so that 50/50 thing is sort of sketchy, check with a tax attorney , I know for a fact theyll laugh at you if you try that with cell phone bill.

So these earnings from the company (you have an llc I presume?) will be filed alongside your personal taxes, unless the expenses are more than what you could deduct normally its moot (its either or, not both)

but its like 55 cents a mile OR gas (again, either OR) , you almost always are better off writing off the mileage than the gas (maybe gas in like 2008 at 4 bucks a gallon would have been better)

Not sure if you can include other repairs and maintenance , I Think thats why they put it up so high (0.55 a mile) because at that rate its covering the damage youre doing to the car.
>>
>>1089511
Thank you
>>1089522
>you have an llc I presume?
...no, I just bought a duplex and rent out the half I don't live in. Looking to move into another duplex next year and have four units. Two units will pay mortgage, one is extra income, and one I live in.

Do I need a llc?
>>
>>1089537
No, you're not a business unless you want to be. That said, as far as i know, if you want to write ANYTHING off as business related, you will need an llc, or I would get a sole-propritoriship. Google info about the subject and you'll be on your way senpai
>>
>>1089537
Sounds like a good plan though. Your quite on your way. I've heard horror stories about tenants though.
>>
I take the mileage deduction instead. You get to write off 54c/mile for 2016. Keep a mileage log though. For me, its easier than messing with personal/business use percentages and depreciation.
>>
>>1089556
>sole-propritoriship
>>1089590

Thank you
>>
>>1089556
>>1089590
What they said, you can't write off business expenses for a business that doesn't exist and as I pointed out above (and other guys confirming) the mileage gives you the most writeoff.

That said do talk to an accountant to get the nitty gritty (I had a delivery business for 6 months but dont remember if I wrote off oil changes and car payments as well)

My last business that failed EVERYTHING business related was a tax writeoff

A cpa costs like 150 bucks, worth the money.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.