[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tinyhouses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: Vinas-Tiny-House-Exterior.jpg (106KB, 726x483px) Image search: [Google]
Vinas-Tiny-House-Exterior.jpg
106KB, 726x483px
Is it just me or are any attempts to opt out of conventional housing tripping over dollars for dimes?
Does it prevent one from requiring to spend more given what it takes for entry
>>
>>1088687

I thought they were cool, never had one, but I think there are better options. I think continuing some minimalism, but not worrying about it too much is the best way. For new construction a house out of precast concrete panels is a compelling option in customization, durability, and relative expense.
>>
>living in a cuckshed

lol
>>
>>1088687
I like the mobility aspect but not really built for hauling like a 5th wheel RV. Haven't checked out prices but probably would just roll with an RV.
>>
>>1088687
She spent 40 grand on that and probably had friends help her build it. At least the guys who built it didn't seem like contractors she'd hired. It's really not that bad if she gets a good bit of use out of it.
>>
>>1088687
I think it's cool that there's a growing sect of people looking into living well within their means, but it seems like overkill to me.

It's okay to own stuff. Buying a small home or a trailer or something is probably a more practical choice, even if there's a social stigma attached. If they're appealing for mobility, I think >>1088732 is right.
>>
I like minimalism, like 'main room/bathroom/bedroom'. I haven't looked into tinyhouses.
>>
>>1088748

And now that I have, the fact that regulations universally seem to restrict the usage of tiny homes, I am completely uninterested in tiny homes.
>>
>>1088687
they are too expensive for what they are. for the same amount of money you can easily get a decent fully equipped trailer.
>>
>>1088779

>pay $20K or less for a three bedroom mobile home
>Pay $20K or less for the lot unless you live in a city or fancy suburbs
>average tinyhome appears to cost between $40 and 60K
>>
>>1088779
this

I rented a trailer for a few months, just a single. It was comfy as fuck, it's like a cave.
>>
>>1088687
My friend has been living in a 32 foot camping trailer for like 10 years. He paid about $4k for it and it was even in good condition (it's past its lifespan at this point though).
He parks it in his friends back yard (small acreage) and has electric and water going to it and tapped in to the leach field.
That is the way to do it; saved him probably 100k over the years vs. renting. But the big problem is having somewhere to put it. Pretty hard unless you live in bumfuck nowhere.

I would not buy or build a tiny home. Poor investment, bad value, hard to get rid of it.
>>
>>1088831

Don't forget that they run into regulation issues with codes designed to keep slumlords from fucking people over, and cities love to collect fines/bribes.
>>
>>1088831
How about waiting for when hipsters start selling them at losses?
>>
>>1088860
Demand won't come back up after it goes down. These aren't traditional homes. They're a fad.
>>
>>1088862
Exactly, anon means to buy them for cheap from hipsters who realized their mistake.
>>
File: 1412206747994.png (251KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
1412206747994.png
251KB, 382x417px
I'm a skilled builder. Is there any money in manufacturing these? Is the market going to burst too soon?
>>
>>1088993

The issue is that people like to sell these to people or to give them kits.
>>
To me the hardest part is finding a place to put it, and if I were going to buy land to put a tiny house on it I would rather just build a cabin on that land
>>
>>1088687
>tripping over dollars for dimes?
big problem would be utilities. i don't know how those would connect, and most people like electricity and water to be easy. they would be depreciable assets - no good reason to pay money to upkeep, just do emergency repairs. and no one will buy an old one from you when they could probably get a new one for alittle more money. i wouldn't buy one if it wasn't going to last 15-20 years. you'd have to be permaNEET for that to be a matter though
>>
>>1088860
would you WANT something a hispter couldn't maintain?
>>
>>1088993
No.

The people buying these are doing it to save money. Unless you can build huge cheap volumes of skeletons for hipsters to try and finish I would stay out.
>>
Tiny homes are more of a choice in many parts of America. I think tiny homes will take off in places like the UK where you need to give a limb for a 1bed flat.
>>
>>1088687
> Living out of a mobile home full-time

My father does this. He buys big expensive cars every few years because they get destroyed on continental roads towing heavy weights. The caravans aren't meant to be lived in full-time and just don't last. Without months to dry out, the fittings just get destroyed by humidity from the shower. You have to empty the toilet yourself, and pour chemicals down it after you take a shit.
And he gets frostbite every fucking year because of the cold.

Not fucking worth it.
>>
>>1088860

You can't think of them as houses - they are trailers. They will be treated like they are disposable.
>>
>>1090900

Great for vacations, though, I'd bet, as long as you find other places to use the bathroom.
>>
File: 1449210020276.jpg (103KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1449210020276.jpg
103KB, 400x800px
>>1088687
The-infinity-Chan-that-must-not-be-named/min/
>>
>>1090897

Way of the road bubbles
>>
>>1088770
The entire point in tiny homes is you build them on a trailer to avoid having to do shit required of houses.
>>
>>1090900
Exactly, they depreciate like RVs or mobile homes. It's impossible to finance them and difficult to insure them. For the value of a tiny home you could buy a real house. A real house with full legal rights as a property owner with a homestead.
>>
>>1088687
>10-15k
Good.
>Those things actually go around 40-50k
Shit tier if you live in a place with affordable land and housing. Sure, you might get to post on /ck/ about how you aren't in a flyover, but when you're living in a house the size of my walk-in closet who gives a fuck.
>>
Better off getting a cheap used van and chucking a mattress in it. Wicked cheap as long as your willing to shit in a bucket.
>>
banks will not write a mortgage that cheap.

city will not allow houses that small to be built
>>
>>1088687
Had a coworker who built and lived in one about five years before the fad hit. She saved a ton of money cause she biked to work and home, just spent the extra money going out and doing whatever. It was pretty cool.
I wanted one for awhile when I went minimalist, good thing the gf talked me out of it. We're in a 500 sq foot place now and it feels a little cramped. Not sure how I'd handle a 200 sq foot place that depreciates like a car, I'd rather just get an RV for cheap.
>>
>>1088687

It's not that bad really. I'm a contract IT worker in the DC metro area, mostly working outside the beltway. One of my former co-workers used to live out of a class B RV and I seriously thought about doing it. He parks in the company parking lot, uses the building's gym for showers and working out since he can get in 24/7 with his badge. It's only ever an issue when trying to explain it to security, but once one of the executives says it's ok they shut up about it. He would show up for work at 8AM on Monday and leave for some place else for the weekend at 5PM on Thursday or Friday, depending on amount of work. He was the guy that got me started on FIRE, since he was able to save 70% of his income and is all but retired now at the age of 42.
>>
I like the idea of small housing, but I'd rather have a small studio apartment in a big soulless sturdy concrete building of unindividuated anonymity.

I barely have any possessions, I just want to rent a little monk's cell with its own kitchenette and bathroom. Building and maintaining such a tiny house would probably only increase my troubles and obligations rather than take away from it.
>>
My wife's son lives the shed I live in behind the house
>>
>>1088687
tfw lived in a van for a while.
Part by choice, part because I had to. If I really wanted I could've afforded myself an apartment, I guess. The experience was worth it. Always a fun story to tell.
>>
>>1091887
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o
>>
File: joke face.gif (496KB, 435x248px) Image search: [Google]
joke face.gif
496KB, 435x248px
>>1091890
Literally me
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.