[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Apply for data analysis job >Get interview >No idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: Manlet.jpg (438KB, 1083x634px) Image search: [Google]
Manlet.jpg
438KB, 1083x634px
>Apply for data analysis job
>Get interview
>No idea what I am doing

Could somebody please explain to me what data modelling is?
>>
>>1088364
analyst is a vague and broad term that has no real meaning other than being a general title for white collar work at a low level, much like "worker" or "laborer"

you could be doing just about anything from data entry to advanced mathematical modeling depending on the company and division
>>
>>1088364
You take data, and then you model it
>>
>>1088384

What does modelling it mean?
>>
>>1088385
what company and what division of the company?
>>
>>1088364
You're a fucking idiot
>>
its just excel monkeying dont sweat it
>>
>>1088464
Yeah maybe if you're a """""""""""data analyst""""""""""""

Otherwise be prepared to know SQL, be an Excel expert, maybe R, a basic understanding of Java and C#. If the place is shit you may also need experience with Access and whatever host of shitty programs and windows packages they're using.
>>
>>1088466
I have those skills but i am trying to become a business analyst
>>
>>1088584

there is no analyzing involved.
>>
>>1088589
In a business analyst position your are literally analyzing code or querying shit to make reports for your technologically inept boss.
>>
what are the differences between a data analyst and a data scientist?
>>
>>1088764
data scientist is term for a professional statistician, think graduate level computer science, mathematics, statistics degree

data analyst is a catch all term that means any number of things to do with general office work, see this >>1088368
>>
data modeling:

to assist business analysts, programmers, testers, manual writers, IT package selectors, engineers, managers, related organizations and clients to understand and use an agreed semi-formal model the concepts of the organization and how they relate to one another
to manage data as a resource
for the integration of information systems
for designing databases/data warehouses (aka data repositories)

So you are probably going to be taking concepts and buisness ideas and translate them into models the business can use. (logic/advertising/marketing/ittech departments)

a lower end version of the job is maintaining data, inputting it or exporting it for daily use, and some backup stuff.
>>
>>1088814
to add, an interview isn't only for them to ask you questions, it is also for you to ask them yours. Most companies that use vague descriptions will be happy to explain all the aspects of your job in detail. They may even be looking for that in the interview, as a reason to hire someone, who asks a lot of questions and seems to know his stuff.
>>
>>1088592
you don't have to analyse code - it can help if you are able to code as you're a bit more self reliant when looking to spec a fix or enhancement - but the actual code specific changes are for the developers... you're more concerned with the functionality/business logic itself than how it is implemented at a lower level
>>
>>1088764
it varies - in some places a data analyst might be doing what a data scientist does elsewhere... other data analysts could be excel monkeys etc..

a data scientist generally isn't going to be an excel monkey and generally will have a good grad level stats knowledge along with programming skills
>>
File: 1446268579500.jpg (33KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1446268579500.jpg
33KB, 480x454px
>>1088364
>apply to position
>get phone interview
>interviewer talks on and on
>don't interrupt
>occasionally acknowledge i'm still there
>rambles on and on
>only asks one-two questions about my resume
>pass them with flying colors
>immediately starts talking about flying me out
>needs a face to face immediately, considered top 5 candidate now
>mfw
>>
>>1089114
was it a recruiter you spoke to? he might just be trying to fill his quota of applications
>>
>>1088385
Train a model with it, like Linear Regression, Random Forest, SVM, etc.
>>
>>1089114
That happens more than you'd think. That's about how my last interview went. The CEO spent 10 minutes going on and on about how much work it is and the long hours and how much there is to learn. I kept my mouth shut and went along with it... at the end he asked what I thought and I said "Nothing you've said has sent me running for the door. I can commit to this job."

Hired one week later.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.