[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can an employer charge for on the job training

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: subcontract.png (438KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
subcontract.png
438KB, 700x400px
I recently got hired at a firm that required an associates degree and minimum of 4 years experience, neither of which I have. I explained in my cover letter why I thought I'd be a good fit in spite of that and it got my foot in the door. During the interview, they asked if I'd be willing to go for that associates degree. I asked them if they could teach me on the job. They said yes but that is have to pay and there would be no degree involved since they aren't a university.

I came from a minimum wage job where I made about $1200 per month. Here I make about $2000 a month. They're charging me $750 a month for one year for the on the job training. I'm under contract. Also, my boss gets the $750 as the training is between he and I personally.

That means, for the first year, I don't make more at this job but after that I'll enjoy a full 2k a month - the most I've ever made.

Is it worth it? Can my boss hire himself out as a consultant to educate me and charge me for it?
>>
Having to pay to become a trainee sounds ludicrous to me.
>>
>>1086912
Besides that, for that amount of money you might as well go to a university. It's an absolute ripoff.
>>
I forgot to mention:after the first 2 weeks, he hasn't taught me anything. I've been there for 2 months but the contact includes "supervision of my progress. "
>>
OP, post a pay stub.

This is not believable.
>>
You're getting fucked in the ass. But, a year of getting fucked in the ass for 1 year could be comparatively better than getting fucked by college for 2 years.
>>
>>1086903
>>1086903
>>1086903
Is it a job with transferable skills?
>>
>>1086903
Don't even listen to these kids. You're making a hair more than you did before, and after a year it doubles; plus, experience is absolute king on a resume, so now you'll never need to sit in a sociology class to be an accountant.

Take the deal and be grateful you aren't one of the
>PhDtfwnojobprospects
assholes that are telling you to go back to burgerking.
>>
>>1086984
Yes

>>1086985
That's how I was looking at it at first. It just seems strange, out of the ordinary.It' also a little nerve wracking because I owe him $9,000 in $750 payments. I owe him the money even if I quit or get fired so I'm stuck.
>>
>>1086994
Your bill and pink slip will fit in the same envelope.
>>
>>1086994
>I owe him $9,000 in $750 payments. I owe him the money even if I quit or get fired so I'm stuck.
Lol
>>
>>1086994
if 9000 is not in contract u dont owe him shit and he is probably useing you as a tax writeoff and easy money. Think aboiut it idiot, the 2000 puts you in higher tax bracket
>>
This is absolute nonsense.

Quit your job, find a new one and stop paying him.
>>
File: 1439297640664.jpg (31KB, 234x250px) Image search: [Google]
1439297640664.jpg
31KB, 234x250px
>>1086903
>employers are now charging money for training
It was only a matter of time...
I feel like this will become more widespread as job competition increases.
>>
>charging you money for training
That's illegal. Its a pyramid scheme. OP RUN AWAY!
>>
>>1087013
Also 9000 is all that I paid for my Associate's Degree at a community college over the course of 2.5 years
>>
Talk to a labour lawyer, if you have a case work there for a while then sue
>>
>>1086903
hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha
>>
>>1086903
Is the training contract officially written down? If so, did you sign it?
>>
>>1086903
>hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha
hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.