[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Online applications

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: 1406073412906.jpg (76KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
1406073412906.jpg
76KB, 800x534px
Should you call a company after submitting an online application to ask if the manager got a chance to look at it yet?

What are some good ways to stand on online applications?

I seem to get little to no interviews from it.
>>
Well?
>>
Well /pol/?
>>
hello
>>
/biz/ is a slow board you shitlord

from personal experience I don't think calling the manager to see if he has seen your application helps, mainly because most companies either use in house recruiters or a staffing agency to go through resumes, so a manager never sees a resume until the interview

good ways to stand out on online applications is have a presentable resume with real marketable skills
>>
I try to match as many keywords of the job description to my resume as possible

For example, I got an interview as a vehicle repair which pays up to 90k, I just put the subjects in first-year college I did as key skills (PLC, machinery, etc)

I don't have much on my resume except for being a summer student janitor, mcdonalds manager and expected to have my diploma by 2016
>>
I don't have any answers for you. I'm in the same boat.

Been looking for a new job while still working over the past three months and its been fucking hell. No free time left anymore. I've applied to about 60 jobs or 2-3 during the weekday when i get home from work and only got one phone call.

The worst part about the whole process is that 95% of company career pages operate as if its 1995. Companies that waste an hour of my life having to copy paste every minute detail on my resume so a machine can auto-filter me because its dictionary doesnt realize "comprehensive" is a word. Or ones that can't recognize a fucking pdf and require text formating. Even massive supposedly digitally focused companies suffer this shit. Its fucking insulting and turns me off from the whole process.

There's just too many fucking people and less jobs. its really that simple. I'm convinced the only way to get a decent job at this point is to intimately know the hiring manager and talk to them directly. otherwise you're shit out of luck. or more realistically a hiring agency may be more helpful. i havent tried that yet but ill be looking into it myself.
>>
>>1085300
>Or ones that can't recognize a fucking pdf and require text formating. Even massive supposedly digitally focused companies suffer this shit. Its fucking insulting and turns me off from the whole process
so much fucking this

>a hiring agency may be more helpful. i havent tried that yet but ill be looking into it myself.
I was reluctant to join one myself, reached out to one after 3 months of job hunting/unemployment, had a 30k a year job 1 week later, it isn't much, but it is an entry level job and it beats sitting around at home doing nothing
>>
>>1085178

>Should you call a company after submitting an online application to ask if the manager got a chance to look at it yet?

Human resources cunts are trained to deflect this line of questioning.

They don't give a flying fuck about who you are or what you want.

All they care about is whether the five or six finalists that were chosen by the digital resume screening algorithm are demographically acceptable and technically proficient.

When you call these bitches, you're making them feel like they have actually do their jobs, and they don't like that because they're a bunch of sanctimonious harpies who consider themselves to be the last line of defense against the unwashed masses who won't stop bothering companies for jobs.

Unless you're calling a mom-and-pop shop, you won't even get the time of day from a modern corporate human resources department.

Bean counters call this "automation."

Everyone else calls it what it is: insanity.
>>
>>1085288
I know it's slow but if you keep your thread bumped to top 5 threads on /biz/ you get way more replies.

>>1085300
>Don't recognize PDFs

Is this fuvking true? I've been uploading mine as a PDF... Maybe that's why I get no callbacks. They can't fucking see my resume!
>>
>>1085178
that is a little desperate... if you've sent an application for and advertised role and not heard anything back then you've been culled...

the other way around can work - calling up and asking to speak to a manager and asking if they're going to be recruiting in future as you're interested in their industry blah blah etc.. I've landed a job in the past that way - turned out one of the guys I spoke to was looking at recruiting someone and got me to send him my CV directly
>>
>>1085326
>>1085386
BTW I'm just applying to pleb tier jobs, just need something for gap year before uni.
>>
>>1085178
Yes, our hiring manager sometimes gives out interviews to people who call to check on their apps.

It isn't guaranteed that it will help but I don't think it will hurt. We got over 1200 applications last week and we are only hiring 10 people. I fucking pray I never have to find a job again.
Calling never hurts as long as you don't bother them too often.
>>
>>1085404
>Yes, our hiring manager sometimes gives out interviews to people who call to check on their apps.

But if it's an online application to a retail store is it even worth doing?

Seems like no one would have any idea and would just say "Just wait desu senpai"
>>
>>1085394
hope that you don't end up having to take 2 hour long Myers-Briggs-style personality tests along with your applications. It's the newest way to algorithmically waste everyone's time
>>
>>1085394
For pleb tier jobs, I was a manager at mcdonalds. I know my store manager rarely ever checked online apps and people always got the job through friends and family.

It's probably the best way if you don't have any experience.
>>
>>1085432
>hope that you don't end up having to take 2 hour long Myers-Briggs-style personality tests along with your applications. It's the newest way to algorithmically waste everyone's time

Not quite 2 hours but I did have to do some sort of personality/filtering test.

Had to do Strongly agree/disagree-type questions about random bullshit

and then a "what is the best response to [situation], and what is the worst?]

>>1085433
>It's probably the best way if you don't have any experience.

I have some but it's limited. If i don't find a job for a while i'm just going to make up a shit ton of experience and lie through my teeth though. If that's how they want to play fuck em
>>
>>1085407
Why wouldn't it be. They value people who want to work the same as anyone else. They just don't pay well.

Honestly, how could looking ambitious be bad? Everyone wants hard workers.
>>
>>1085407
at least at my barnes and noble store, the managers will make themselves available for these followup calls. I've even seen them talk to people who walked in w/o an appointment to follow up on their application. I would say it probably won't improve your chances over the online app (I don't think anyone cares about the "initiative" you show), but you can end up having a conversation where you learn that this position filled up, but this other one is going to open up in a week and we'll keep you in mind for it.
>>
>>1085440
>Had to do Strongly agree/disagree-type questions about random bullshit

These are fucking stupid. Like some awful person is going to admit that shit on accident because of their dumb ass survey.
>>
>>1085440
>>1085448
Yeah, so they have people who have succeeded in the company take the test, then hire people who give similar responses to theirs. Assuming job performance is even related to the "personality types" being tested for, nobody is going to respond honestly. Hopefully it turns out to be a fad
>>
>>1085445
>>1085448
>>1085470
Fuck this shit man.

How the fuck do I find a job? Should I just make up that I was a manager at like 3 different places that shutdown or some bullshit?
>>
>>1085394
well for pleb tier jobs I'd literally just walk into the venue with a CV in hand and ask them face to face...

my first job after working as a paper boy was waiter at a local pub/restaurant... I went around to a couple of pubs, asked to speak to the manager and that was it

pleb jobs are often recruiting and so long as you're not socially inept just going in and speaking to someone is probably all you need to do
>>
>>1085479
>pleb jobs are often recruiting and so long as you're not socially inept just going in and speaking to someone is probably all you need to do

I am socially inept.

Plus managers never want to speak to me, the workers always say some bullshit like "they're not here" or "they're busy"
>>
>>1085394
also as you mention 'uni' I'm assuming you're UK based?

I used a temping agency in the past for summer work - get signed up at somewhere like office angels, if you're in a big city they'll usually have plenty of mundane office type work.. often leading to a perm role with the company you're seconded to. I was a call centre money for HFC bank one summer, every temp there that wasn't a complete mong got offered full time roles within the bank - that sort of thing could be fine for saving some money for travelling during a gap year etc.. you could earn commission too from cross selling during the inbound calls
>>
>>1085494
Canada senpai

I can't find shit, I've pretty much given up at this point. Might try freelancing or something
>>
>>1085494
other thing is these sorts of roles can actually be used to do the fabled 'work your way up' thing...

I didn't bother - joined a grad scheme elsewhere but I do know of one guy who moved internally in HSBC from a retail mong job over to their private bank in London and now earns a fat salary and bonus taking care of rich arabs (basically they had the position advertised internally, he'd done a few years and just applied)
>>
>>1085497
surely there must be temping agencies or similar in your major cities?

some firm of solicitors wants to get a bunch of people to sit in a conference room and stuff envelopes etc.. or photocopy a mass of documents who do they call?
>>
>>1085508
>surely there must be temping agencies or similar in your major cities?

I've only seen them for shitty physical labour jobs.

>some firm of solicitors wants to get a bunch of people to sit in a conference room and stuff envelopes etc.. or photocopy a mass of documents who do they call?
They take one of the millions of people with useless degrees or laid off people looking for a job.
>>
>>1085475
well, do you have any past job experience? I would say focus on jobs that are taking resumes or even cover letters, not just online form applications, and work on your resume. Then you have room to make a case for yourself and show how serious you are about the job. It's standard to list your jobs in chronological order, but I did it like

2015: good job: wall of text
2014: dishwasher-washeddishes (literally one line)
2013: deliverydrivr-delivrdfood (literally one line)
2012: good job: wall of text

to show off the good ones, while still showing that I have no gaps

Whatever experience you have, describe it in a way that's tailored to the demands of the job you're applying for. If you've worked at McDonalds, and you're applying to a retail job, focus on describing the customer service you did at McDonalds, not on your experience making burgers.

If the place wants a cover letter, look up how to do that. It's tricky, but its like half-resume half-shameless ass-kissing in the guise of a semi-personal letter to the person in charge of hiring (who you are supposed to look up via stalking)

what is your job experience?
>>
>>1085520
>what is your job experience?

A few months at a couple meme jobs.
>>
>>1085528
do you mean like fast food? what specifically? something is better than nothing.
>>
>>1085539
Dishwasher and some other memay shit
>>
>>1085543
there are ways. don't lose hope. godspeed /biz/zle
>>
>>1085775
I've given up hope.

Might just try to get prescription for adderall and sell it to some pleb university kids
>>
>>1085791
you're not going to be doing that till you die, and you can't build on it, so don't waste your time imo. you're better off dishwashing for years while looking for a leg up
>>
>>1085829
>you're not going to be doing that till you die, and you can't build on it, so don't waste your time imo. you're better off dishwashing for years while looking for a leg u

I just need to make money before I go to University/while I'm in University.

Then it'll be easy for me to start applying to non-poorfag jobs with a Finance or Econ degree.
>>
>>1085834
in that case crime isn't a completely bad idea, but it's still a pretty bad idea. From what I remember of college the going rate for adderall is like $5/30mg or lower because most of the sellers are people who just happen to be prescribed and don't take it regularly. If you can get a 30mg/day prescription and find enough idiots who'll buy at $10/pill (doubtful), you'll only be making $300/month. I don't think that's worth the trouble
>>
>>1085306
what kind of skills have you got to land a job like that at a temp agency?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.