[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canada Finance general/cfg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 12

File: 1398409993191.png (2MB, 2170x1418px) Image search: [Google]
1398409993191.png
2MB, 2170x1418px
What are my Canadian bros up to? How you guys doing?

Who /buying as much VFV as possible to make mad gains off CAD losses/?

Discuss memes pertaining to Canadian finance and economics.
>>
Can you cucks stop shit posting on every board

You're worse than Australians now
>>
>>1083048
We just want a home.

Why aren't we allowed to discuss our country's economic status?
>>
As a Canadian, why are there so many Canadians on boards I visit now lol. It wasn't like this before, but I've been noticing like 2-3x more threads about Canada for the past year

Here and in /fa/
>>
>>1083118
Bad economic times means more shitposting.
>>
Why buy VFV? Wouldn't it make more sense to buy VCN while it's low?
>>
>>1083134
I don't think vcn will provide equal gains to VFV.

I don't really have faith in the Canadian economy. At least not for a really long time. The oil and gas industry got shrekt by gov
>>
what stocks am I allowed to invest in in a TFsA? I heard some foreign markets don't qualify
>>
>>1083209
Anything that your broker allows. I'm with CIBC and they do US markets. I'm still researching it myself but I think you still have to pay foreign withholding tax in TFSA's.
>>
What does it mean to be "credit-rationed"?
Is it that you don't seek loans or that the bank doesn't accept your request for a loan?
>>
File: 1454283364010.jpg (38KB, 625x417px) Image search: [Google]
1454283364010.jpg
38KB, 625x417px
>>1083134

It's mostly commodities and energy based which won't see a rebound for quite a while.

But I'm tempted because the value is so good right now. People will still buy nickel and copper and other base metals, so I think I might actually consider it.
>>
>>1083229
Don't. Canada and CAD is fucked.

Stick it in VFV and reap the gains as canada falls into the abyss
>>
>>1083215
I read if you invest in the wrong things they can "tax" you 50-100%
>>
>>1083237
CAD is tied closely to oil/energy which has already tanked and is expected to go down more, and the value already shows this. I doubt it will ever hit 0.60 USD.

Canada is stable and progressive, our finincial sector isn't going anywhere, and the new gov't is sure to bring stimulus to businesses to save face.

You said in your other post to not invest in VCN unless it's "for a really long time."

I think that's what most people on this board and in Canada in general are looking for. There is not point investing short term unless you have a lot of capital to put up or are really desperate.
>>
File: 1454300776190.png (198KB, 500x296px) Image search: [Google]
1454300776190.png
198KB, 500x296px
I didnt know canada relied so heavily on oil only
>>
>>1083252
I meant a long time to see any sort of return.

Honestly with how the liberal government is treating our oil and gas industry and farmers I'm not really betting much on it.

I think it's much safer to go with VFV.

Oil will remain super low regardless due to numerous factors especially since the sanctions on Iran were lifted.
>>
>>1083229

I wanna engineer my railroad into her tunnel.

I am not good at metaphors.

I want to rape her dry asshole.
>>
>>1083251
I have never heard of any such thing. If you try to buy an illegible security your brokerages site will just throw you an error, it's pretty idiot-proof. The only thing I've heard of people being penalized on is over-contributions.

Jesus what are you trying to buy anyways? North Korean uranium mines?
>>
>>1083237

Dude, VFV has lost 5% in like 2 weeks.

While energy has probably already bottomed out so VCN is good value.

Most S&P stocks are highly overvalued, they will probably correct, so buying in at peak isn't very smart either.
>>
>>1083282
False.

Vcn is a memay
>>
>>1083282
>Most S&P stocks are highly overvalued, they will probably correct

I don't think there's a "probably" about it, to me the only question is how far the index is gonna fall before it starts rising again.
>>
>>1083118
>Here and in /fa/
and /pol/ is full of canadatards too
I kind of like it, I've never felt relevant before now
>>
>>1083274
Interestingly, there is a special rule that applies to Canadian public companies that have been delisted. Shares of Canadian listed corporations which are subsequently moved to over-the-counter status continue to be qualified investments for a TFSA and other registered plans. But this rule doesn’t apply to U.S. or other foreign stocks.

The consequences of investing in a non-qualified investment inside your TFSA can be quite severe. First of all, there is an automatic penalty of 50% of the fair market value of the non-qualified investment in the year it is purchased by the TFSA. Fortunately, as long as you can demonstrate that it was purchased inadvertently, this penalty can be refunded in the year the non-qualified investment is disposed of by the TFSA.

But the real problem is that the TFSA itself must pay tax, at the top marginal tax rate, on any income or capital gains earned from the non-qualified investment. To make matters worse, the capital gain is taxed in full, and not at the normal 50% inclusion rate.

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/tfsa/are-you-sure-you-can-invest-that-in-your-tfsa

I don't know man. I'm new to this stuff so
I could
be reading it wrong but it sounds pretty spooky
>>
File: 1422228033541.jpg (414KB, 990x410px) Image search: [Google]
1422228033541.jpg
414KB, 990x410px
>>1083118

>I've been noticing like 2-3x more threads about Canada

Maybe it's because 2-3x more Canadians are unemployed?
>>
File: 1453167720209.jpg (19KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
1453167720209.jpg
19KB, 600x315px
>>1083286

False? Let's see your VFV performance since Jan 1st? Unless you're buying a different VFV, it's been losing money since.

>>1083291

I think it's gonna fall down to the a level slightly above 2009. That's when the Fed REALLY started injecting money into markets with the bond buy-back and all that shit. They pumped up the markets with virtual cash and now we're gonna go back down to what the real numbers should be - corporate performance.
>>
>>1083298
>slightly above 2009

Damn, if you're right, that's like a 40% drop. But if previous such drops are to go by, after that it's buy and forget for ETFs.
>>
>>1083298
>Since Jan first

So because it does poorly for a month it's bad? If it keeps dropping that means it's a good time to buy.

I'd rather stick with the s&p than some Canadian bullshit knowing how this country runs and operates.
>>
>>1083296
I can't even think of an example of when a person could have purchased a stock, it tanked so hard it got de-listed and moved to OTC, and then the person still made capitals gains off of it.

Again, the system is pretty idiot proof, CIBC just plain won't allow you to buy OTCMKT in from your TFSA account.
>>
File: 1453165925001.jpg (68KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1453165925001.jpg
68KB, 1000x750px
>>1083303

Well, I mean that's the worst case scenario I figure. And it may not be a huge sell-off, it might just be a gradual tapering for years, like we saw on the TSX, which has been shedding money for like 3 years now.

But then I'm just some jerk on the internet going by very fundamental fundamentals.
>>
File: 1453093018915.png (2MB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1453093018915.png
2MB, 900x900px
>>1083310

>Tfw gonna try to buy pink sheet stocks with my TFSA

Is it even possible? With them being listed once per day in some table, I think it would be impossible to register them.
>>
>>1083314

DESU I'd prefer a sudden drop since I don't have any money in it now. Gonna be dealing mostly in real estate this next year, so it can drop as far as it wants until 2017. Works better than a slow taper for me personally.
>>
>>1083318
Probably not possible. TFSA's are for saving money, not losing it all on TBEV
>>
>>1083319
>Gonna be dealing mostly in real estate

lol. Gonna make those sweet 20% gains in Toronto while everything else in Canada crumbles?

Man, housing in Canada scares me.
>>
>>1083323

Oh I'm not Canadian lol I'm in Eastern Europe. I'm just in this thread for some education.
>>
>>1083323

Although we do have a similar situation to

>make those sweet 20% gains in one city while everything else crumbles

Literally the easiest money I'll ever make because of stupidity and ignorance of the general public, corrupt politicians and incompetent local authorities.
>>
File: 1454861667414.jpg (346KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1454861667414.jpg
346KB, 1200x1200px
>>1083328

Get the fuck out of here Miroslav. This sensitive data is strictly for pure-blooded Canadians only.
>>
who does you guys use as a broker? a bank or a discount brokerage ? or something else?
>>
>>1083728
TD Waterhouse desu.

If you're not actively trading it is find.
>>
>>1083784
How is RBC direct investing? $10 trades. Haven't used it yet, I've just been using the practise accounts on it at the moment
>>
>>1083825
I don't know. TD is fine. $10 per trade as well, everything just werks.
>>
>>1083344
>implying there are any left
How is your day going my dear neighbour Prajeet Chan-Luludeep?
>>
>>1083259

Our last PM was a faggot and he fucked the all shit up
>>
>>1083042
viva la peru
>>
The only way to win financially in Canada is to live right next to the border and become a pseodo american.
>>
>>1083728
I have a broker registered with desjardin. They do all of the research and metrics gathering and invest on my command. I just front the capital and collect jew money
>>
>>1084111
true af desu.

I want to move to Niagara senpai.
>>
In the interest of avoiding yet another Canadian lamentation thread, I'll ask this here--

What's the deal with CMHC-insured mortgages? I understand they're necessary for a 5% down mortgage. What happens if that mortgage goes underwater/the owner loses their job? Does this create a bankruptcy/do they lose the house?

What is the assessment in the context of overvalued housing and dropping buying power? Is this a sensible thing to engage in?

Does the insurance effectively offset the risk involved in buying into this housing market at this time, or is it really just insurance for the banks' loan balance and the owner would get fucked in a non-payment scenario?
>>
Vun or vcn mates?
>>
>>1084403
VFV
>>
>oil/resource market fucked for the next few years
>rumblings that the world economy could be slipping into recession
>persistent speculation that has a housing bubble that will pop soon

Triple whammy for Canada.

Give me your honest opinions. Is this country completely fucked?
>>
>>1084419
>Give me your honest opinions. Is this country completely fucked?
yes
>>
>>1084423
I think so too. these next few years will be interesting.

heres to hoping that weed man will save us.
>>
>>1084419
Fucking Trudeau man. I mean I'm not commenting on his dad or the liberals or whatever, but it seems people just eat up the fact that he offers lip service. Oh, that issue is tough, oh oil prices are low just hang in there, we're working on it, etc. All this handwringing and grandstanding and people actually think it's useful. here, we'll throw some money at alberta and that will fix entrenched structural problems for sure.

man I hate to say it but this country sucks. I really wanted to like it too.
>>
>>1084440
b-bbut it's 2016

At least we're getting a whole bunch of refugees... right anon?
>>
>>1084433
This is why I'm putting all my money into VFV.

Can't wait to reap the gains of shitty CAD
>>
>>1084444
At least we aren't germany. No idea how that country can possibly support millions of welfare leeches and survive.
>>
>>1084444
Great, a bunch of uneducated people that want a free ride and the freedom to crank out babies and rack up debt. sounds like a great plan. I'm already a minority in my community as a fourth gen canadian
>>
>>1084448
>>1084452
Whatever fuck this shithole.

I'm milking this terrible country for all it's worth.
>>
>>1084453
should be written under the coat of arms. pretty much sums up modern and historical canada
>>
>>1084453
Im graduating next year. I wont even be able to milk this situation at all, only get fucked by it.
>>
>>1084458
>>1084459
Just use it for cheap tuition(for an accredited University), use social services as much as possible and scam idiotic Canadians.

Kek. Canadians are so fucking stupid and easy to scam
>>
>>1084466
>use social services as much as possible and scam idiotic Canadians.

Im not winning by being a welfare bum
>>
>>1084498
>Im not winning by being a welfare bum

Your taxes are going to it anyway. Use it before you need to pay it back.

It's brilliant.

>Use social services as much as possible
>Visit family doctor once per month to make sure you're 100% healthy
>scam dumb canadians
>Make use of relatively cheap tuition

Do this all before you get a full-time job and started getting jewed hard on taxes senpai.
>>
>>1084502
>fail to enter the job market
>be jobless in your early 20s
>"its brilliant"

stop posting. do you not realize how terrible it would look applying for jobs in the future with a 5 year old degree and no expierence?
>>
>>1084522
Why would you not have any job experience?

You seem to think I am implying welfare whereas I am implying using everything else as much as possible before leaving the shitty country
>>
>>1084440

We had harper for the better part of a decade, but you blame someone whos been in office just months? We are reaping what the Conservatives sowed.
>>
>>1084250
I looked into this more--the insurance protects the bank, if the property is sold at a loss the remainder goes to collections for the mortgage holder. Total fucking scam. Some people argue this is fraud too, since the payments are never returned among other issues.

>>1084906
So at what point are we allowed to criticize him? One month from the next election? After the next leader is elected?

I'm more bitching about the state of discourse in this country which seems to be at a serious low point.
>>
>>1084213

This desu.

I was looking at Zillow and there's beautiful homes for sale at like 250-300k with lots of land in upstate NY where people are rural, White and not meth-head Millennials.
>>
>>1084406

Bro, we've been through this. VFV is in for a LOOONG correction and will probably eliminate 20%.
>>
>>1085055
>He actually thinks this

No it's not. Canada on the other hand will stay shit for years to come.
>>
>>1085060

I think there's more value in Canadian equities right now than inflated American stuff.

Canadian equities are mostly based on commodities and energy, and these will always be consumed: copper, nickel, alloys, gold and of course energy. These will inevitably go up, so I think there's value in the TSX since it's been taking such a beating.

On the other hand, American stocks are so inflated with federal cash through 7 years of QE, I think they're correcting back to levels that are supported by corporate performance rather than ratings or earnings mumbo jumbo.
>>
Carleton scum reporting in!
>>
>>1084446
can somebody explain the vfv meme to me?

how does investing in it profit off a weak Canadian dollar ?
>>
>>1085076
This is what they said when the s&p was at 1,500
>>
>>1083328
>poland
>money in real estate

pick one
>>
>>1085076
My golds been going up, would you invest in resource etfs or mutual funds? They're at the lowest and seems to go up when gold goes up

Also, does TD waterhouse allow trading without going to them? I'm tired of bmos shit and scheduling an appointment
>>
Is now a good time to invest? Will the market collapse?
>>
>>1085292
sit on the sidelines bruh. or DCA into the market. Lump sum is just asking for pain.
>>
>>1083048
why are australians so bad?
>>
>>1085312
>TFW planned on dollar cost averaging but always forget to invest because I wake up after the markets close usually

Lol fucking hell. i-i swear I'll be more diligent on it and invest every 2 weeks instead of every month, anon-senpai.
>>
>>1084999
>So at what point are we allowed to criticize him? One month from the next election? After the next leader is elected?

You can criticize him whenever and however you want, but if you blame things on him that he obviously has no control over someone is going to call you an idiot. Idiot.

Blaming the current state of the economy on Trudeau is like when Rona Ambrose criticized Trudeau for not legalizing marijuana fast enough (look it up, she did!). I mean, really? Really?

So, yeah, you can say whatever you want, because free speech, man. But it's also free speech to call you a moron if you do.
>>
>>1085197

>you
>someone who understands the very basics of the housing market

Pick one.

Pick one.
>>
>>1083259
Pretty much this. >>1084015
Imagine if George Bush had never worked in the oil business and looked up to oil company execs all his life, then won the election. How skewed things would get towards one industry. That's what happened for the last ten years in Canada.

>>1084999
>Total fucking scam
Nobody's forcing you to put down 5% on the most overpriced real estate in the world...

>>1085085
Good to meet a fellow Raven! You're not with the student union are you?
>>
File: shemitah-real.png (1MB, 1366x2653px) Image search: [Google]
shemitah-real.png
1MB, 1366x2653px
>>1083042
I KNEW IT IT WAS THE JEWS
P O L
W A S
R I G H T
>>
>>1086601
>nobody's forcing you...
My point is you can pay into this insurance for decades and never sees a return. There are other issues with this that you can look up on your own. Also people probably think this insurance protects them against insolvency with an underwater loan; it does not. I think the entire real estate cabal in Canada is a fucking scam.
>>
>>1083834
Those fuckers charged me $250 to close my trading account.
>>
>>1084250
you don't think the insurance is for you do you? It literally is to protect everyone but you

The insurance is for the banks. Get your mortgage and raise your payments so you can not pay it on your 5 year renewal.
>>
>>1086722
The sentiment of the average home buyer is that it offers protection to the buyer. No one in their right mind is buying Canadian property with 5% down right now

I think our entire economy is being propped up by careless spending
>>
>>1086734
I don't know who you are talking to but everyone I talk to considers it a fee.

I might not be in my right mind. I just bought since the housing market tanked and my job was stable. You aren't going to get any return on the money you save by renting right now.
>>
>>1086744
No return is better than going underwater

Also, debatable

Enjoy your large one sided bet

I will enjoy my rental with no lease
>>
>>1083042
My plan is to work in London UK for a while and rent while saving up for a few years then coming back to Canada whenever the housing market finally crashes and using the exchange rate and hopefully my savings to buy a house. What do you guys think about my plan.
>>
There's a 60% chance I'll get a government job offer in the next few months, pay about 60k. It'll be beaurecratic mundane bullshit but that's almost double what I make now. I should accept if nothing better comes my way right?

Also, how is relocating to Toronto from Vancouver?
>>
>>1087229
It's not that bad, I enjoy it, they gave me an iphone 6 plus for communication that I use to play games and social media

They also pay part of my school. It's kind of boring but atleast I like the people I work with
>>
>>1087464
Are you some sort of poor immigrant that can't afford a smartphone?

Are you a CS01 or SP01? What department do you work for? What do you do?
>>
>>1083237

Bullshit, stop this panicmongering. This is just a small correction, there are no real reason for all this doomday happening shit.
The fundamentals of Canadian economy are strong. Oil is going to jump back soon, also new government plans to invest in infrastructure, which means more jobs and less unemployment. Canada will emerge back even stronger, more competitive and affluent than before.
>>
>>1087581
>Oil is going to jump back soon

Care to explain why?
>>
the loonie is going to fall again soon, right?
>>
>>1087959
Cause he is Canadian and needs false hope. Expect the jump 1 year July to get in.

>>1087964
you mean still and no it is leveling. Fuckton of foreign money is coming in because of shit dollar which is going to offset the "economic plan" In 3 years time either everything will be recovering or the US will just make Canada into 3 more states.
>>
>>1087975
i'm an american student at mcgill and i'm just trying to choose the best time to convert my money. i've read that the dollar could go as low as .6 so idk
>>
>>1087982
ah. Wait 3 months. Will likely go lower, but I would call it a safe point. The country is going to hit another tank when the tourist sector realizes what is happening.
>>
>boomers vote in communist party after letting torris run rampant for 40 years because "muh house value".
>billions of dollars stolen from the public "missing"
>billions of dollars given to feed the debt ridden provinces quebec & ontario.
>constantly bad mouthed by green assholes my whole life.
>They are dancing like jihad's now that oil is tanked and alberta is hurting.
> LMFAO when we are still a richer province then them.
>never made good money, own no assets, own no debt though. have no credit rating.

So now that all my employable skills are useless because the industry collapsed and its looking like it may never come back and our job market shrinking while more and more people still come here feels pretty bleak, like we're ontario 2.0

Should i head dive off the bridge familias?
>>
File: yatta japan.gif (797KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
yatta japan.gif
797KB, 320x240px
r8 my growth portfolio:

30% European and Asia Pacific Index (or 15%/15% Europe/Asia)
25% S&P 500 Index (CAD-hedged)
10% Total Canadian Stock Market Index
10% Global REIT Index
10% Emerging Market Index
5% Global Healthcare Index
5% Global Water Index
5% Individual Stocks
>>
>>1088658
Dumb portfolio.

I've got 100% VFV

Lmao
>>
>>1088298
>>1088658
J I D F
>>
>>1088298
Lots of jobs here in Ontario. Dumb immigrants with no skills to take them from.
>>
>>1087581
Someone explain infrastructure spending.

Isn't it just one crooked construction company getting a fat contract and subcontracting it out to these minimum wage immigrants?

How does a couple orange vests milling around a street causing traffic help? Sure that road looks swell a few months later but I didn't get a raise to spend more at the store there.
>>
Pro tip

Buy art.v
>>

▲▲
>>
>>1089213
>Someone explain infrastructure spending.

More infrastructure makes the economy more efficient.

>Isn't it just one crooked construction company getting a fat contract and subcontracting it out to these minimum wage immigrants?

Not even remotely. The spending ripples through the economy. A project will boost materials, labour, engineering, hardware, trucking etc. and these industries will boost those they rely on.

>How does a couple orange vests milling around a street causing traffic help? Sure that road looks swell a few months later but I didn't get a raise to spend more at the store there.

A single highway overpass can take 20-30 45tonne NU girders, which is a couple of months work at a precast plant. This pumps huge amounts of money into the economy and at the very least helps ensure the stability of your employment.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.