[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

putting money into real estate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Hello folks.

41, married with kids, 150 acres int he Berkshires. Have about a million in savings and stock market. I get nervous keeping money in the stock market. Have recently put a small home we own on Airbnb to goo results. Wondering about buying a home to have my money be in something "real" in case the market drops.

That being said, seems like if the market drops I won't want this house that I need to sell.

Was thinking about putting the same 200k into building 4 homes on our property. Super basic (2 small bedrooms, small cook area, bathroom (probably incerating, maybe composting) nice sitting area, screened porch, outdoor shower, deck), off the grid, rainwater collection, DC power, propane, stylish. Think Dwell prefab kind of look, but with a bit of a survivaly thing going on.

My thought is most weekend people would rent and not need a shower. Shower would be totally manageable May thru November. There's a slight possibility of eventually building a unit that would have a few showers, bathrooms, large eating area. Basic idea would be a larger space that people could share.

These little homes could be sold for maybe 150k, and maybe even 200k if the shared place could somehow be part of it. My hope would be to rent them for years, but be able to sell, and hopefully to a group of folks that all know each other. I suppose there could be the possibility of building more than 4 after a few years if they were doing well.

My thought is that the shitty cabin/house we could buy for 150k would be hard to sell if the market were to drop, but the people who still have money to spend in a recession might buy one of these things, happily.

How crazy is any of this?

Doesn't seem smart to just build them in order to Airbnb them- they need to have a good market value 10 or 30 years from now.

Thanks
>>
Not crazy because I have researched similar set ups as this. Seems to be catching on in Scandinavian countries. But good luck trying to get people interested in the US. Sounds too much like a hippie commune for true red blooded Americans to take seriously. Maybe a that's what you are going for though?
>>
>>1080721
I know a great many people who would love to buy homes like that.

And their all dirt poor idiots.
>>
File: berkshires.gif (21KB, 350x579px) Image search: [Google]
berkshires.gif
21KB, 350x579px
Where in the Berkshires are you? Are you trying to cater to the New York clientele?
>>
>>1080739
They are catching on in the US. I know some folks near Athol doing something like this (but their places are all clustered so that the green space isn't split up. I'd rather have all my places still feel private). This would definitely not be hippie commune. I see Ivy leaguers with money saying they have a place in the Berkshires taht they share with all their friends with money.
>>1080752
Can't tell you, but a nice distance from NYC and Boston. An obvious factor.

Besides being a nice getaway, I figure this might beinteresting to the folks that think they need a place to escape some sort of episode. The homes wouldn't be zombie proof at all (that's a joke), but they'd be off grid and a good place to escape to if there was an issue for a week (like Hurricane Sandy kind of issue)
>>
Look at Glamping. The best occupancy comes from airstreams and bell or safari tents. The europeons have perfected the tents and they are usually approved to install in national parks. Use full luxury bedding Moroccan decorating and lots of Bunting and etsy faire.

Get $300/nt including winter with a Colorado woood stove. I'm building 20 tents in various world heritage sites.
>>
>>1080794
Very cool, thanks.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.