[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So interviewers love to play The Price is Right with wages now.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: negotiate-salary-recession.jpg (403KB, 1000x771px) Image search: [Google]
negotiate-salary-recession.jpg
403KB, 1000x771px
So interviewers love to play The Price is Right with wages now.

One of the first questions you can expect will be along the lines of, "What kind of salary are you looking for?" Now, this is obviously a game, much like The Price is Right, where you need to get as close to the salary they have in mind without going over. An overestimation essentially ends the interview. Unfortunately, you can't guess $1 to be safe; too low of a guess with leave you undervaluing yourself and unable to reconcile as the interview process comes along.

Or, you could be applying online, in which case you will be forced to fill in the mandatory entry box regarding wages. TBD, NA, and 0 all happen to be invalid entries. Don't even expect a phone call with an overestimation in this case.

For what purpose has this trend come to be? I can't think of anything other than scaring an applicant into intentionally undervaluing themselves.
>>
It's for when they have no idea what they're actually interviewing for, and it's the only metric by which they can rightly judge whether they can afford to hire you.
>>
Whoever says a number first loses here.

So you want to say stuff like "well what is the starting salary for [position] at your company?"

Basically go back and forth on them with this and see who cracks first. If you're stubborn they'll gave and likely give you much higher than you expected.
>>
>>1079705

if you have actual valuable skills you should know what they're worth and you can quote an accurate price
>>
>>1079705
Just say "my employer has a policy against discussing ones salary with people outside of one's family"

Throw that dumb-fuck "no salary talk" policy in their fucking faces.
>>
I expect to be paid an amount that would commensurate my skills and abilities that fit the position.
A biz prof hammered that sentence into us and always said to never give a digit first unless the employer was being especially stubborn
>>
>>1079705
Its bullshit but luckily (in this department at least as my top earnings are so mid tier) I'm a nurse.

I just highball every interview because an interview with travel time is like 1-2 hours of my time and I can knock out 3-4 in a day.

My current job I accepted an offer and they through me an extra 5% on the paperwork I signed because they were desperate and the ADON knew I was reliable.
>>
>>1079797
"Through me"

I agree they must have been real desperate.
>>
If you're young and looking for your first or second job, suck it up and say whatever you think will make you a lower-end hire.

Once you have a few years of experience, and the skills and knowledge of the wage market in your industry, you can easily hold potential employers hostage
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.