[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /slackingatwork/ here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 1

File: 1445017812354.jpg (275KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1445017812354.jpg
275KB, 1000x1500px
Anyone else here that doesn't do anything productive during work?

I'm a software dev at a startup and I spend 90% of my time browsing the internet, compiling or playing on my PS Vita.

I feel guilty from the fact that I earned 81k last year doing jack shit. 2 days ago I even got an offer to join a trading company in Kansas. I feel like cheating.
>>
How do I find a job like yours? I can manage e even for much less
>>
>>1079332

Try to get in a in-demand field.

I have a CS degree from UMich (transferred) with 3.4 GPA and a github portfolio full of stuff I did for my classes.
>>
>>1079326
to be honest any startup myopic enough to hire people like you will be dead within 2 years so have fun with your 5 digit salary in California lmao
>>
I do like 10% of my work day on actual work...rest is leisure and learning programming.

>>1079326
What sorts of stuff are you working on? Which languages? What sorts of problems?
>>
>>1079400

I'm not in Cali btw

Getting a job there would be nice, a friend from college got a job there and he gets six figures and stock options. He's set for life
>>
>slack at work
>gets buttblasted when your position gets outsourced to a chink or an indian
>>
I am supposed to be a "subject matter expert", I spend most of my day doing fuck all until someone freaks out that something is broken.

Best career is to be highly specialized. Managers are just highly paid wage slaves and are a diamond dozen.
>>
>>1079499

Standyby is the sweet gig. You are there even if you aren't doing anything because it will save money if you are.

I probably slack off about 25% of the time. Usually i am letting things fester in my head for a bit and coming back to a problem.

But hey, people only care about results and don't give a shit what you do to get them.
>>
>>1079366

>tfw all your github projects are private

I'm just shy.
>>
>>1079326

yes. my first "software" job... quality assurance.

I just click some buttons on a web app and make sure things work properly. A retard could do it but for some reason they want college educated software developers for it.
>>
Why bust your ass to make some fucking kike rich
>>
>>1079745

>i've never been paid a decent salary and am still on my parents healthcare, posting this from their basement, brb oven is ringing
>>
>>1079326
Blue-collar work, so I can't really get away with that. If I don't do the work, the work doesn't get done.
>>
>>1079326
Shiiit. I'm a data analyst, my salary is less than yours ($55k), but I really spend most of my day not doing anything. Most of my job seems to just be running/slightly modifying code and then updating excel spreadsheets.

I usually just sit around and shoot the shit with other employees and chat up qt's.
>>
I do pretty well and barely do any work, but it's because I have pretty much automated my job and now there's nothing to do but monitor my scripts and make sure they are working correctly. I don't slack off with all my free time at work though, I set up a vpn to my home server and am currently setting up several online businesses, if you guys have all this free time at work you should be using it productively, you could be researching the market for good trades, learning new skills, whatever, just don't waste time to sit around browsing the web.
>>
>>1079326
>>1080087

you and yours a like are getting trumped pretty soon since its pretty obvious who is to blame here
>>
>>1079326
Damn this is cool. I thought I was the only one.

Pajeet works like 60 hrs a week while I get to work on my own projects for 35 hours a week.
>>
OP, don't feel bad I hired an Indian developer for $200,000 USD, in three months he developed a new type of distributed network.

Programmers are paid based on productivity of thier code.

If you spend an hour to write the work of 200 people manually you earned your smoke break.
>>
>>1079326
>2 days ago I even got an offer to join a trading company in Kansas.
Hope it wasn't Aquila. There's a hedge fund out there but they're dumbasses.
>>
>>1079326
That's me too OP.

I'm placed on a support team who are all middle aged workaholics but I don't feel like I contribute all that much. I've shown up 30+ minutes late, taken hour an a half lunchbreaks, Spend an extra hour watching news or dicking around with my phone, so all in all I'm really only doing like 4 hours of work in a 9 hour shift.

I'm torn between not wanting to work myself to death, and staying motivated to help my team that literally never stops working.

At least my lazy side is winning
>>
This is quite simply what happens when you have a country that deregulates working hours and holidays; a bunch of people sit at work and don't work, so they're unnecessarily stuck at their workplace accomplishing fuck all.

Great job, America. Keep up those appearances.
>>
>>1079326

Lucky.

I have worked many jobs and only one of them let me slack off: Lifeguard. Would have been the perfect job if pay werent $8/hr.
>>
>>1079326
I'm not nearly as productive as I used to be. IT departments out here not only don't have high expectations, they will crucify skilled programmers. I had to go into an operations role to get away from that. Now I just watch developers fuck everything up and management schedule more meetings in a vain attempt to fix it.
>>
>>1080871
Same. When I was a security guard I got drunk and took naps and read the newspaper for a living (this was before smartphones)

Drinking loses its appeal when you can do it at work
>>
>>1079499
>are a diamond dozen

nice
>>
>>1079724
Haha lol

me too
>>
>>1080990

Could you elaborate on the "crucifying programmers"?
>>
>>1079499
No ragrets
>>
>>1079326
I'm a warehouse laborer who has to accomplish his tasks (fulfilling about 80 orders daily) in a time-span of 3-4 hours. I work in a team of two. My request for assistance was denied, so the other warehouse workers are napping on the racks, playing basketball, or just playing super smash bros at the back. The prior 4 hours I am prepping materials to be ready for the weekly shipment -- where I was again told to work solely. The days are long, the breaks are few, and it only gets really shitty when it's hot and I have to unload containers.
>>
>>1081178
I forgot to mention that we mostly deal with oversized items (30+lb), or glass for those 80 orders, and we have some of minimized warehouse inventory system where the stuff we receive will be shipped out the next day.

You can save my story and warn kids about completing school.
>>
>>1079326
You sound like a damn gommie, Bernie shill.
>>
>>1081142
Skilled programmers. That's an important detail.

There's been a real shift towards prepackaged solutions. If the prepackaged solution can't do something out of the box, it can't be done. For best effect, replace an existing system with one that does less with more (time, resources, cost, effort, etc).

So what usually happens is they choose a very expensive component that performs very poorly. It's slow, it's non-intuitive, it crashes alot, etc. Then they find out it doesn't support some part of the workflow, like it can't read/write some file format. Problem can be solved programmatically by programmers on staff. But, no, let's buy another incompatible component, whine about the impact, insist on "researching" how to configure the broken component to do something it can't, or all three.
>>
>>1081224
I particularly disliked being told that we didn't have time to fix problems once but we had plenty of time to suffer them over and over and over. I also disliked being prevented from using features that lousy developers didn't understand, like inheritance or static functions or bitwise logic or...
>>
>>1081238

I'm curious, how would you be prevented from using features in the language? If somebody wasn't up to snuff, couldn't you show them how it works?
>>
>>1081277

Coding standards that ban features outright because they're "unsafe".

I'm lucky that I mostly don't have to put up with that shit, although we build with gcc -Werror on some annoying warnings.
>>
>>1081282

Bummer. I'll keep this in mind when considering potential employers. Thanks
>>
This is something I'm very familiar with. And then new people learn to only do things the wrong way.

Other examples are where people avoid good industry practices because they consider them trendy or "not a good fit for our development environment" or whatever. I could go on rants about this.
>>
>>1081305
>I could go on rants about this.

Feel free to post :3c
>>
>>1079326
Mobile app dev here. I bust my ass all day adding new features to the app that my bosses ask for at the last second and then fixing any bugs that those changes introduced and I make 65k and you're a nigger.
>>
My job has turned me in to a tetris king
>>
>>1080298

iktfb
>company falls for the big data meme
>promotes me from accounting to data analyst
>no one asks for anything
>collect $80k/yr

Its actually incredibly boring because I still have to sit there.
>>
>>1081620
I honestly feel like I'm on some kind of corporate welfare, kind of jelly of your salary though. I did just have a performance review and was told they'd be talking to me about a raise soon though, also getting a 20% bonus.

It doesn't make sense man. I'm being rewarded when I spend most of my time doing jack shit. I don't really understand how this is better than welfare other than it pays more.
>>
Mobile game app developer (UI Designer). Get to work around 9am, attend a daily meeting, then usually finish my work by around 2-3pm. Usually, this is how it goes. Leaves a lot of time for side projects and what not, so I take advantage. Feels good.
>>
>>1081298
>>Coding standards that ban features outright because they're "unsafe".

I've worked places where Pajeet and Tanya could write 12-page "functions" with variables named a1, b1, c1, etc and no error handling.

But there was an hour long meeting to "discuss" my capitalizing of acronyms. Then another for using "1.0F" instead of "(Single)1" to force a type. And another for using optional parameters in a stored procedure (think passing state name instead of having 50 nearly identical procedures). The hits just kept coming.

>>1081282
>>I'll keep this in mind when considering potential employers.

Good luck with that. After my first taste of that idiocy, "if you have a code standard, I need to see it" became the top question on my list during interviews. And they are ridiculously secretive about it. That's a huge red flag that the codebase is a wreck or they're rewriting one but haven't learned anything.
>>
>>1081629

You just have to realize most people are doing jack shit and just pretending to be busy.
>>
>>1080857
That's me every day. I might've shown up on time 3 days in the past year. Cocksuckers scheduling 8AM meetings need to fuck of. I'll probably start declining those.
>>
>>1079326
$150k/year at a software company (not in Cali) and I probably spend less than 10% of my time actually working. I watch hours of Let's Plays and listen to podcasts all day. Keep getting top performance reviews and promotions, too.

Big software companies mainly hire young people to prevent the other big software companies from hiring them. They don't expect much of anything from you, so if you manage to deliver the basic tasks they give you then you're pretty much set until you reach "senior" level in 6 years.

Startups are obsessed with growth right now, because that's how you get more VC funding. Hiring people is a sign of growth even if those people are doing fuck all.

It's a good time to be in tech, but the crash isn't going to be pleasant.
>>
>>1082080
How old are you?
>>
>>1082101
>>
>>1079719
What is 'Standby"?
>>
>>1082080
live frugal and save up

we all know where this is headed
>>
>>1082274

The expected growth in jobs/demand for software engineers is expected to be between 30% and 40% for the next years

Seriously, the only people that are talking about a "STEM bubble" are /biz/ neets who know shit about economics
>>
>>1082834
That is a very vague statement, give some sources for these numbers.
>>
>>1082854

Software developers:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2013/06/05/high-demand-the-occupational-outlook-for-developers

IT:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2613549/it-jobs/software-developers-expected-to-see-the-highest-it-job-growth-come-2020.html

FFS you idiots can't even be arsed to search before posting shit
>>
>>1082873
Both articles are from 2013 which is already 3 years ago, newer information from the bureau of labor statistics have the most growth for software developers at 17% but a decline for computer programmers and small increase for software engineers. I dont see anything about 30-40%. It seems like you were talking shit then.

Here is some up-to-date information about the CS and CE job outlook from the BLS.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm
>>
>>1082877

Hahhahahaha wew lad are you really this stupid not to realize that for the exception of hardware engineers all of these are practically the same thing.

As someone who's working in the industry and speaks with startup managers, experienced software engineers and entrepreneurs on daily basis I'm telling you that there is no decline or bubble. From NY to SV all major companies and corporations are investing heavily into quality software developers, you must be an idiot to think that there will be some sort of a decline.

And the date of the articles (just 2 years ago btw) doesn't matter when this is a forecast done by statisticians from Intel.

Reading comprehension 0/10
>>
>>1082877
>decline for computer programmers and small increase for software engineers

what is the difference between those two roles?

computer programmer, developer, software engineer..... same thing no?
>>
>>1079326

I'm getting one of those wifi receiver antennas to steal wifi at work.

If they don't have a good password, it's their fault...
>>
>>1082889
I guess I hit a nerve. Enjoy believing your bullshit.
>>
>>1082834
nah i get a massive salary even though i sit around and do nothing all day as well

there's no way this is sustainable, something is going to break
>>
>>1082910

Nice argument there Big Bertha

Enjoy your 60 hour working week while you're sweating your balls working hard for 40k a year
>>
>>1081282
kek
you use C or C++ and the company complains about safety?
>>
>>1081238
>inheritance
>didn't understand

What. That's like first-year stuff
>>
>>1079326
people notice this anon even if you don't.

sound like the usual entitled millennial who just bitches when things turn sour.
>>
>>1082834
>the only people that are talking about a "STEM bubble" are /biz/ neets who know shit about economics

I'm talking about it, and I work at a major player in the industry. My colleagues are all talking about it too.

>>1082889
Well I don't know who you're talking to because most people recognize there's a bubble and the question is now when it's going to pop and who's going to get caught in the crash - not if it's going to happen.

Of course if you're speaking to "startup managers" they're probably in denial.
>>
You'll be one of the first to go when layoffs come.
>>
>>1079326
And then people ask why startups are bullshit investments
>>
>>1080865
This tbqh

Yuropoors work half the time Americans do at the same level of productivity
>>
>>1079326
It takes a lot of fucking code to end up spending a significant amount of time compiling it.
Did you write all of this code?
If so, you're actually doing a fine job, code quality notwithstanding.
>>
HOLY SHIT RIGHT FUCKING HERE OP

Software engineer here, I spend literally 6 to 7 hours a day fucking around and it's awful. My projects are so long term that I can stretch out my deadlines and milestones, I'm torn between my desire to be a productive member of society and the knowledge that this can't last forever.
>>
>>1079499
yep

i'm an "instructional designer" at a large corp. make 80k a year for an average of 2 hours worth of work a day, designing "elearning". ive made one extensive course when i first started here and have just been copy pasting for the past year for every new device reiteration we have come in. everybody here thinks "video editing" and premiere are terrifying because of the screens and buttons... of which i use like 3%.

meanwhile im typing this while having a conference with myself and my laptop in a private room for 3 hours. all the perks of being a manager with absolutely no responsibility. shame im too retarded to make use of all this time.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.