[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flawless victory general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1452450483790.jpg (34KB, 330x499px) Image search: [Google]
1452450483790.jpg
34KB, 330x499px
I have a success story for you, /biz/.

I had a family of websites, basically the same game with slight alterations, had decent growth over 3 years.

Recently I received an offer to sell these websites to a larger competitor. They offered $120k for me to sell them the user database and shut down my websites, I bargained and ended up on $150k. However, that's not the beauty of it.

The contract says I have to shut down the websites and not create any new websites in the same niche for 2 years. I also can't mass email my userbase. But, and this is the beautiful part, I never mentioned to the buyer that we had been working on an Android/iOS app for the games and should be ready to roll it out within a month.

The reason we are making the app in the first place is because a massive portion of our userbase requested it.

So what I'm going to do is finish the app, roll it out and spend like $10-$15k marketing it, both to existing users through community sites and forums I know they frequent, and to new users through social media etc.

So I am going to end up with about $135k minus tax, a new app, a good portion of my old users, and a good number of new users.

Have I done well, /biz/?
>>
>>1078786
>inb4 cease and desist letter
>>
>>1078794
If he described the contract accurately it's all good as long as he doesn't make a website for the app.
>>
>>1078794

The contract specifically says I can't

a) create websites in the same niche
b) keep the same websites going
c) mass mail the users

It doesn't go any broader than that, therefore their legal team fucked up and the mobile market is wide open.
>>
>>1078798
Mm, although you should probably talk it over with your legal advisor
>>
Come on /biz/, you gotta have some recent successes to share?

>inb4 hurr durr my shitcoins made a $12 profit everyone buy etherium for your grandkids
>>
What are your ideas for marketing this without being able to create a website about it?

How will you be able to contact your old userbase without being allowed to mass email?
>>
>>1078840
What do you do then?
>>
>>1078847

There are lots of niche websites, forums and social media that I can pay for marketing on.

The way the games work, people create private games for their friends, so if I can reach even 10% of my old userbase through the methods above, it will ripple out quite quickly.

>>1078848

Did you not read any of this thread?
>>
File: 1334383839232.jpg (30KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1334383839232.jpg
30KB, 400x300px
>>1078798

As the other guy said, I hope you have checked in with your attorney.

That sounds like negotiation in bad faith. UK and some former commonwealth countries are probably the only few places where you wouldn't get rekt in court for pulling a stunt like that. Does the contract contain a jurisdiction or governing law clause?
>>
>>1078888
>That sounds like negotiation in bad faith.

Without even determining if it's legal, it seems like bad business. If the intention is to screw them, go for it. I wouldn't want this in my reputation.
>>
>>1078893
> I wouldn't want this in my reputation.
Implying you have any.
>>
>>1078840
Eh, I'm a wageslave. I have an artistic mind and wanted to go into fiction writing/game design, but I could read the writing on the wall and didn't want to be poor so now in my mid 20s I'm a Build Release Engineer making ~80k. Not a huge success, but better than 80% of folks.

Started working on a novel and tabletop game recently so we'll see how shit I am at my passion.
>>
>>1078899

1) everyone has a reputation
2) my reputation is irrelevant, but the tacit assumption is that OP doesn't want the reputation of being a bad businessman

Feel free to post any other retarded rejoinders though
>>
>>1078888
As a legalbro I honestly don't see the problem.

I'd even argue they intentionally left the mobile market open. If they also wanted to cover the mobile app market they should have offered more otherwise he would never even have signed the contract.
>>
>>1078945
But it all depends on the exact details of the contract of course.
>>
>Have I done well, /biz/?

You came here to gloat, not to ask if you've done well when you know for certain that you've done better than 98% of this board already.

You should have been upfront and gloated properly by calling us all coinjerking poorfags who don't know shit about business.
>>
But I wouldn't let myself be responsible for my business activities. Your business should have had it's own legal personality in the first place. And a holding where the money recides. So people can sue your business all they want.

My website isn't on my name either.
>>
>>1078840
Idk if this is success but I've been making most of my money as a scientist for 3 years after graduating, and I've somehow convinced 4 different supervisors that I have been working full time despite almost never being in more than 5-6 hours, and usually only working 4 of them per day.
>>
even if legal i wouldn't really touch this without heavy consultation from one's attorney. maybe open in a different country?
>>
>>1078840
able to make 1k + per month hardly working while I'm going to school.

just put 2k in my brokerage
>>
>>1078786
Why not put the ownership of the app in the name of someone else? Like a trusted sibling? Distance yourself further from it?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.