[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you realize?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

File: upset-man.jpg (122KB, 668x445px) Image search: [Google]
upset-man.jpg
122KB, 668x445px
When did you guys realize that everyone is an asshole only looking out for their own interests and would screw anyone over for their own gain?

I used to think that most people had morals and honesty and that it was only a minority of people who were heartless and didn't care about anyone but themselves, but I think I've realized now that it's the opposite.

It's a strange realization that most people would screw anyone over behind closed doors and that fear of punishment is the only thing stopping them from doing so.
>>
>>1078432
pretty sad outlook on life. I know a lot of people who do the right thing.
>>
ITT Catcher in the Rye roleplay
>>
Yes and you're the knight in shining armor yourself op
I'm sure
>>
>>1078436
>pretty sad outlook on life. I know a lot of people who do the right thing.

I don't know man. I'm really starting to doubt whether people truly do this out of good faith/morality or just because of the social/legal stigmatization.

There is so many examples of people who "appear to do the right thing" and yet not, so I think your statment of
>I know a lot of people who do the right thing
is false. It's quite likely they only act that way outwardly because of obvious reasons.

Examples of this are numerous which include:
>Tow truck drivers abusing people in car accidents to scam them
>Police officers embezzling confiscated goods/drugs/money
>Priests gaining trust of the community then fiddling children/embezzling funds
>Companies doing things like replacing materials in products they sell with more shady/greymarket/down right toxic things because it lowers the cost
>Doctor malpractice
etc etc.

The common factor in all those examples is that on the outside they appear to be "caring" and yet do very horrible things behind closed doors where no one can see them. And that's only the ones that get caught. God knows how many things happen we just never hear about.

>>1078440
>Yes and you're the knight in shining armor yourself op

Didn't say I was and I'm not claiming to be.

I'm just bringing up the idea that no one is innocent and that the vast majority of people only act a certain way because of societal/legal repercussions.
>>
>>1078443
>give a few examples of bad apples
>"the whole world sucks"
With logic skills like that, perhaps you should just anhero and get it over with. Cya.
>>
>>1078446
It kind of does though... Obviously not everyone is doing it but like I said it's because they're afraid of the punishment versus just not doing it because it's wrong.

There's numerous more examples if you think about it. It's just a strange thing to think about for me for some reason, as a kid you kind of think "Oh most people are nice and will try to help you and the bad ones always get punished sooner or later!"
>>
>>1078448
>it's because they're afraid of the punishment
Just because you're a rudderless sociopath doesn't make it true for everyone. Stop projecting your insecurities like a little faggot.
>>
>>1078453
>Just because you're a rudderless sociopath doesn't make it true for everyone. Stop projecting your insecurities like a little faggot.

But it's the case anywhere you look. I already brought up numerous examples.

How does it feel to live with rose-tinted glasses where everyone is friendly and nice and all problems in the world just solve themselves?
>>
>>1078443
There is probably a lot of good things around you. You probably just fail to notice them. I read a report that said people are prone to remembering bad things, but not good things.
>>
>>1078465
>There is probably a lot of good things around you. You probably just fail to notice them

Yeah but it's probably done for their own benefit once again.

That guy volunteering to help the homeless/children in Africa? He's doing it to put it on his resume so it helps him get into a good school/better job/better fraternity, etc.

That "generous millionaire" donating $10 million to a hospital? He's just doing it because of taxes AND for the social recognition of having a wing built after him(again, social/monetary benefit).

That "selfless" company that is donating 10% of all earnings this month to Nigeria and re-did their product design to use less materials? They're doing it because that 10% is a small price to pay for people looking at the company much better, same with the reduced packaging materials - cheaper costs and better company reputation.

it just feels like most things are incredibly fake and everyone is out for themselves, idk senpai.
>>
>>1078478
Stop shitting on enlightened self-interest. Capitalism doesn't work without it.

And stop painting with a mile-wide brush. Some =//= all. You're just trolling for attention.
>>
>>1078483
>And stop painting with a mile-wide brush. Some =//= all. You're just trolling for attention.

You know I'm right. Not trolling at all senpai.
>>
>>1078478
When I was younger, I'm 29 now. Not that much older, but for the chan, I'm probably consider old, anyway. My friends would go through this stage of trying to determine everyone's motives in life. Try to determine if everyone is altruistic of not. Honestly, to me, It doesn't matter. You can't control it. The only thing you can do is control your own actions.

So, if you feel that people are assholes, then be the change you want to see. Be the guy that isn't a asshole, that does things not for yourself, but for others.
>>
>>1078432
I've always known it, but I got a harsh reminder the other day. Client denied payment for a change order for work necessary for the completion of the job, one I made them aware of, on the basis of "you didn't get it in writing". It's only $1500 but I was pretty pissed. Not like I'm gonna balk when I have several active jobs with them.
>>
>>1078486
>So, if you feel that people are assholes, then be the change you want to see. Be the guy that isn't a asshole, that does things not for yourself, but for others.

I'm just like them though. I'm just as much of an asshole.

It's just weird to realize everyone(with a few exceptions) is fundamentally evil/greedy/self-serving.

And the ones who ARE generous and altruistic quickly get changed when they realize that the people around them for what they truly are.
>>
>>1078494
It's human nature. It's short sightedness. I know if I treat my clients and employees in the best manner possible, I increase my value far more than burning bridges left and right.
>>
Op is a berniefag that's mad that the social worker said he has to get a job instead of playing video games and shilling shitcoins all dau
>>
>>1078494
Kinda gay, but I try to remind myself of "win-win or walk away" every business deal. I think it shows. Most businesses seem to enjoy working with me. They can sense wether you care or not, usually.
>>
>>1078494
I know there is a philosophy that prescribes by this thinking. I think Hobbes is the philosopher. Anyway, I obviously don't agree with you, but we all experience life differently. Maybe one day, I'll say "damn, anon was right"
>>
>>1078500
No I am not a "Berniefag".

I am socially centrist and economically Libertarian(not quite but close to it).

>>1078499
>>1078503
Well of course you don't "burn bridges", this would yield very little return.
I just mean more that people will morally-corrupt things if there is no repercussions or if the law is slightly iffy on that thing.

I guess it's nothing new I just had some thoughts about it recently, just kind of feels bad there is no one you can "trust", everyone out for themselves, ya know?

>>1078504
>Anyway, I obviously don't agree with you, but we all experience life differently. Maybe one day, I'll say "damn, anon was right"

It's just everywhere I turn it seems to be there. Watched a few documentaries on YouTube about scams mostly involving people taking advantage of others in hard times.

I've screwed over a lot of people and have worked for companies that screwed over people. At the time I was just happy about the money and didn't think how it affected other people. I guess it's just human nature to think you're the center of the world when really everyone is the center of their own world.

Just feels weird thinking that while I was enjoying the money, someone was struggling and possibly considering suicide because they signed a contract they couldn't honor and could more or less pressured into signing.
>>
>>1078432
Thats true OP, a lot of people will use you. Successful businessmen usually know that you have to treat your partners well if you want to maintain a good reputation.
>>
>>1078436

/thread

quit focusing on the bad OP.

100 good things happen every day. And you focus on the 2 or 3 things you don't like.
>>
>>1078515
The last paragraph of this makes it pretty clear. It's because we compartmentalize everything. If we still lived in tribes it would feel worse than "weird", it would be and would feel like a betrayal of your peers. Ironically this is a consequence of " civilization "--inherent injustice
>>
>>1078432
When I learned that most adults died at the hands of someone else before states existed. Obviously this was mostly due to intergroup conflict, but your tribe would only be not trying to kill you to avoid the ire/distrust of other members of the tribe. If you made yourself a problem to someone or had something they wanted you'd best bet they were plotting your death.

We didn't become super-apex preditors by being nice friendly placid peaceful animals. Humans are fucking ruthless killers and the only reason peace prevails for now is that the guys with the big sticks say it is so.
>>
>>1078538
nah man, humans are the top, because we work together. Any achievement in history is done at the hands of the multitudes. Yea, maybe some guy gets credit, maybe someone organized it all, but working together is what makes humanity achieve such great things.
>>
I always try to make it a win-win situation in everything I do. If someone asks me for help and I have time, as long as it does not affect me negatively then no problem.

If I value that person and must compromise to ensure a win-win situation, then I'll do it no problem.

Life is like a chess game, you have to look 3 steps ahead. If I have to lose a pawn to get a rook, then I'll do so
>>
>>1078538
>We didn't become super-apex preditors by being nice friendly placid peaceful animals. Humans are fucking ruthless killers and the only reason peace prevails for now is that the guys with the big sticks say it is so.

True shit man. It's a sad realization.

>>1078528
>100 good things happen every day. And you focus on the 2 or 3 things you don't like.

For each of those 100 good things there's several hundred or more of people getting taken advantage of to varying degrees.

>>1078532
Makes sense.
>>
>>1078541
Ye we have the capability to cooperate, very much so. But it's not because we're all moral and upstanding. We just understand the notion of strength in numbers and punish people severely if they don't go along.
>>
>>1078545
yea, thats hard to argue. I definitely see it daily.
>>
>>1078545

> We just understand the notion of strength in numbers and punish people severely if they don't go along.

But we don't understand strength in numbers. We expect someone else to take action and not ourselves.

President is a great example of such. Instead of people gathering to make change, it's expected of one person.

You can see this in the election present now. Bernie Sanders is being supported due to the negative outlook on corporations, but in numbers simple civilians can make such a huge change in resolving these common problems; just much to lazy or afraid to take action. Want more pay, less taxes? Gather your fellow human and make it happen, but we're caught up in next month's rent, even though we live this life and no one else does.

The people built this, the people can take it down.
>>
>>1078432

Community
>>
>>1078612
You seem to be participating in a offerer conversation to the one I was having, I have no idea what you're trying to say.
>>
>>1078432
Everyone in this thread is trying to deny it but you're right op. It sucks doesn't it I'm still not sure about how to deal with it.
>>
>>1078432
Like 16

holy shit, how pampered were you princess OP?
>>
>>1078432

Sadly it took me until I was in my late 20s. And even then it took me a while to go full mercenary on the world.
>>
>>1078762
>>1078763
But not everyone acts out of self interest, soke act out of genuine empathy. You should be able to tell when someone wants to take advantage of you
>>
>>1078432
none of this is bad
the only people who complain about it are incapable of doing it themselves
>>
The term "humane" amuses me, considering him as have the capacity to do some really horrible shit if they need to. Look at third world countries. We're lucky we live in a society with a good amount of comfort so we can afford to become more docile. I feel like serial killers are just people who never lost their primal instincts.

The fact that there's no such thing as altruism effected me for quite a while, but I've realised I just need to engage in hedonism to forget about it while I'm alive.
>>
>>1078783
Yeh but in reality. Over here in real world land. The land where nurses walk through the snow for patients and strangers pull over to fix other peoples flats?

Its the same reality where your best friend fucks your girlfriend and your brother dicks you out of the inheritance.

Im not a cynic im a stoic.
>>
>>1078432
Always depends on the circumstance
>>
>>1078432
In which country do you live?
>>
>>1078767
Full mercenary. I like that.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.