[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I pass interviews when I'm not a full blown normie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: pepe-the-frog-meme-14.png (490KB, 1280x709px) Image search: [Google]
pepe-the-frog-meme-14.png
490KB, 1280x709px
I'm very book smart. I did a respected degree. But on Monday I had a graduate assessment centre for a prestigious government department and probably failed, probably due to bad social skills and / or nervousness.

If you gave me the interview questions on a piece of paper and told me to type up answers for tomorrow, I'd easily do perfectly. Many online application forms require written answers to competency style questions and I've passed them. I'm not a sperg who rambles for 10 minutes. I understand what they look for in competency questions. But when I'm in interviews my voice gets "clogged up" (a lot of saliva in my mouth, I'm quieter, maybe speaking quickly sometimes). I might stutter or hesitate in my thoughts while talking at one or two points in a half hour interview (not to any huge degree but obviously HR normies are ruthless in their culling of non-normies so I assume that it is instantly fatal for my chances when it happens). I wouldn't say that I come across as mentally ill or crazy, merely nervous at most. And almost every graduate recruitment process in the UK is made up of only competency questions (this is true for public sector all the way to very technical engineering positions).

I want to reiterate that I'm NOT a STEM autist who has never read a fiction book, who has trouble understanding facial expressions etc. I'm simply a guy with no friends or social life at all and who hasn't had either of those for over five years. I have failed over 20 graduate or intern schemes within the past 3 years, most of them with tip top tier companies and positions that even Harvard grads would love (and I went only to my local university you probably haven't heard of). Front office investment banking, etc. I should say that I have passed graduate phone interviews but never face to face ones (so I've never passed an entire process).

Is the graduate recruitment process really so ruthless in culling anyone who isn't a normie?
>>
>Is the graduate recruitment process really so ruthless in culling anyone who isn't a normie?

No.

I don't know what exactly you are doing, but something is giving off a bad vibe. One thing that I've found to be the kiss of death is negativity. You should spin everything as positively as possible e.g. everything that you might regard as a failure in your actual life should be called 'an opportunity to learn' or some shit.
>>
Fake it till you make. Just make up some stories from college or social life. Most fuckign college kids these days are borderline retarded with social skills. Just be happy and assert a little dominance in the interview. If you have to wank one out before the interview then do it or drink a beer. Most people lie about their lives in the interview. Your life is what most college kids around the world live on a daily basis.
>>
Stop posting frogs and using the word "normie" as a start.

What the fuck is a "normie" exactly and why is it used as a pejorative? Being normal and socially-adjusted is apparently a bad thing now...?
>>
File: received_1020560297956242.gif (54KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
received_1020560297956242.gif
54KB, 625x626px
>>1076436
>If you gave me the interview questions on a
>piece of paper and told me to type up answers
>for tomorrow, I'd easily do perfectly

Aaaand I took the bait.
If you can't answer simple questions on the spot you won't get hired. Clients on the phone aren't going to assign you homework and be okay with getting answers the next day.
>>
Senpai, im like you (maybe a bit less aspie, as I have a few friends), and I got a graduate position at Accenture recently.

While you dont have to be a full blown normie, you DO have to seem like you have basic social skills.
In my experience of graduate assessment days (Ive had 3 before I finally got one), its about 25% knowledge and 75% personality.

Most graduate assessments have team exercises aswell, where clearly your knowledge of the subject is secondary to your ability to communicate with others.

They test you on some basic knowledge as to what the role entail, but they dont expect you to know much as it is a graduate scheme, so instead they gauge your 'passion' or 'willingness to learn'.

If you talk about the role in a monotone voice with a completely straight face, the interviewer is going to get bored and immediately cross you off the list.

So what I did was record myself answering potential questions and seeing how I could improve so I didnt come across as a total autist. Id say I have about 8 hours of recorded footage of me answering about 5 mock questions.

If it doesnt come natrually, fuckign rehearse and fake it till you make it.
>>
>>1076679

YES! YOU NEED TO WANT TO FUCK CARTOON KIDS IN VR HEADSETS TO BE IN SEKARITTU CLUB!1
>>
>>1076696

Srsly, can a non normie even cope in places like Accenture? From my limited level of research and impressions, it seems like being a smarmy suck uppy normie who goes to all the tortuously fake social events outside of the already long working hours is the only way to get promoted or even not ostracised. This seems to be my impression for public sector stuff as well as most places.
>>
>>1076711
Why don't you just become whatever a "normie" is you moron?

Seriously, social interaction is the basis of anything in life. You need to learn social skills not just avoid them and try to find ways to avoid requiring them in your life.
>>
>>1076711

Ill be honest, Accenture is a fucking awful place to work as an aspie. The pay is very good for a first 'career' job, but the rest is shit.

The culture here is so dick sucky, you literally cant get an assignment you actually would enjoy or even hope for a promotion without literally rimming your superiors and attending boring as fuck events like a lap dog. I really fucking despise people who do this.

In addition, if youre not your managers favourites, you get to work in the some shitty ass, grey as fuck hellhole town, where you have to commute 2 hours each way or live out of a hotel.

Theres a reason Accentures staff turnover is so high.
Im currently a software consultant and Im planning to leave within the year, at least ive got some good experience on my CV now.
>>
>>1076436
You fked up cause you're worried OP. You know what'll make you less worried? Options. Next time, line up, 2,3,4,5, 10 interviews in the next month. Then do stellar on the best one.
>>
File: alcohol.jpg (167KB, 900x1328px) Image search: [Google]
alcohol.jpg
167KB, 900x1328px
Looking for people with past internet marketing/building products/monetizing experience to join my co-venture.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.