[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>the average starting salary for a college grad is under $40k

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

>the average starting salary for a college grad is under $40k

Where did college all go wrong?
>>
This median or mean? Or include only in their field?

Regardless, on average a military commission is better, though if you think that high school only or a trade is better you're dead wrong.
>>
>>1076387
Average.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2014/11/19/the-college-degrees-with-the-highest-starting-salaries-in-2015/#598e104196a2
>>
>>1076408

>ask if it's the mean or median
>"it's the average anon"

Someone has never taken statistics.
>>
>>1076308
I'm more interested in mid-late career salaries, desu. There are plenty of jobs with great starting pay that cap out very quickly, as well as plenty of jobs with mediocre starting pay but plenty of room to move up.
>>
>>1076308
I'm reconsidering my degree because my brother went into plumbing and makes around 140k and he's younger than me. Dude pretty much made tons of bank off of financial advice I've given him while I sit around in school making little money and wasting time. Now that I've discovered strippers will sucks me off I don't even get the point of college anymore.

I wish I would have listened to the vocational training meme back in the day. I'd have a lot more money to invest at this point. It never crossed my mind that I could just work and invest instead of working my ass off for some shit tier financing job.

>go to school for a good job they said
>You can't compete without a degree they said

I honestly feel like I've been bullshitted.
>>
>>1076444
>140k as a plumber
Is he plumbing the pipes at the fucking whitehouse?
>>
File: char_63235.jpg (17KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
char_63235.jpg
17KB, 210x240px
do these murrican salaries include insurances etc. etc.?
>>
>>1076308
>blaming low pay on university education
top kek cuck

It's called Neoliberalism. Welcome to the new oligarchy.
>>
>2016
>going to college

Lel.
>>
>>1076447
No, he works for a contractor who has a federal contract. Family friend that I could have worked with. They did the entire plumbing on the Army base near me and he made even more than 140k that year.

My cousin is an Equipment operator on the north slope and puts away near 200k a year in Alaska. Dude just bought a house and he's 21.

I'm fucking broke as shit and living with an SJW roommate.
>>
>>1076308
If you're going to college for something that isn't STEM or law you should have just gone to work.
>>
>>1076462
probably not
probably all before taxes and insurance premiums
>>
>>1076308
>>
>tfw EE making bank working in advertising for a fortune 500 engineering company
>>
File: 1424092914916.jpg (29KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1424092914916.jpg
29KB, 350x350px
I would esimate 99% of salary surveus are complete bogus. They basically just ask the people how much they earn. Some dont answer, some do. Most lie.
>>
>>1076462

not anymore. we also get embarrassingly shitty benefit packages now. some places will give you a 401k offer though.
>>
>>1076507

This.

Also people who have gone off the rails aren't taking part in these surveys.

There's more hurt out there than people realize.
>>
The babby boomers refuse to hire new talent to justify their ridiculous expectation of salary, benefits and retirement. This is only going to rape companies in the ass in five years when they have to pay whatever the employee wants or they leave the company. This is the twilight hours of the employers market.
>>
>>1076444
>140k as a plumber
Is this dude selling heroin on the side? Most unionized plumber barely scratch 50k.
>>1076473
>He works for a federal contractor.
That's why he makes that much. He's going to be making 60-75% less after he leaves that company. Your brother isn't going to make much over his lifetime. Trades don't make a lot of money because the job is very easy to replace with Chinese or Latin workers.
>>
I made nearly 60kcad last year as a second year apprentice. Tax was brutal though and rent is high so I only have a few grand to show for it
>>
>>1076695
I guess your right, just seems hard to justify school while everyone else is making money. Hopefully it pays off in the end.
>>
I paid $300 for a CCNA and got 40k starting. My secret was to look at the market beforehand to see if the profession I wanted to get into was in demand. It baffles me how so many liberal arts majors are able to make life altering decisions by just going with whatever makes them "feel" best.
>>
>>1076715
You'll have a harder time keeping up with new tech in the IT world. There is a reason why is always populated with 20-35 years old.
>>
>>1076719
>There is a reason why is always populated with 20-35 years old

Because millennials grew up with it? Do you really think people working in IT for 20 years suddenly have to drop out of it because they can't keep up?
>>
>>1076308
In finance and this is actually pretty spot on but I only hold an associates degree. But with my promotion it'll go to 48k
>>
File: bacrochesterstudy.gif (16KB, 348x277px) Image search: [Google]
bacrochesterstudy.gif
16KB, 348x277px
>>1076308
I feel sorry for someone who took agricultural science only to discover it isn't very marketable, not for millenials who decided to take out a student loan to study their hobby because "muh dreams".
>>
Its called being a contraian and its how you get ahead. When everyone goes one way (disgustingly overpriced "higher education") you go the otherway (learn and trade make money). Thank me when the housing market crashes and you're in a position to buy real estate which you can rent out to all your "educated" and debt bogged friends.
>>
>>1076790
Dude, shut the fug up. Post secondary education that involves math and the scientific method is very valuable in the real world and usually necessary to set your radar to the right business opportunities. The low hanging fruit has been picked already, to do well nowadays you need to have quantitative skills.
>>
>>1076793
Possession of the most basic quantitative skills would allow you to see how foolishly over priced higher education is. In the midst of a tech renaissance period and you think its prudent to take out student loans of tens of thousands of dollars to learn information you could get for free? Good luck with that. Have fun finding a job with that degree btw.
>>
>>1076811
Good luck understanding how lab equipment worth $500 - $100000 works from wikipedia and khan academy.
>>
>>1076825
Don't need to understand $500-$100000 lab equipment to make a good living and get ahead in life. If thats your dream, go for it. Enjoy renting out of college and paying off my morgage premiums. Should be pretty embarrassing considering I'm just an uneducated pleeb.
>>
>>1076855
This neger thinks that college cost over 100k. Most college grads leave with just 25k in debt. STEM grads do well in the world and make more than tradesmen. The people in teh trades don't make that much, even those in unions. You guys have a quick salary cap. Most college grads work in corporate and make twice as much as the average tradesmen. This is just typical 4chinian jealousy of those with a degree.
>>
>>1076869
No jealousy. 25k debt is nothing to thumb your nose at especially if you're not guaranteed a job when you graduate. Stop using last generation's imperical data to support this generation's disgussion. The original thread question was where did college go wrong. It went wrong when it bacame way more about paying administration than educating students. It's a massive business in this country. I would have thought a learned man such as yourself would have understood that.
>>
>>1077103

College was "never" (at least since the 80's) about education. It is a filter. The document you get at the end of the years at college means that you have survived the filtering process.

First, they filter based on your GPA from high school (how smart / hard working you are).

Second, they filter on the SAT or other test / entrance exam (how smart you are / committed / focused / pressure sensitive).

Third, they filter that you are able to pick a major which makes sense for whatever future job you want (ability to make long term planning decisions).

Fourth, they filter on how active you are in clubs and extra curricular activities (participating / promoting yourself in a social setting / leadership).

Fifth, they filter on your pedigree (can your family pay for college, or figure it out).

I could go on, but you get the point. When recruiters look at your CV they see all these things (your raw skill and soft capability). The degree tells all of it at one glance. A person with the right degree is _more likely_ to be a certain type of candidate. Then they interview you and see for themselves if the paper lies or not.

So when they see a thousand applications, they can just search for the ones with branded degrees and get a most likely set of candidates for a job. Yes they could drill down to each guy separately, but that would be a waste of time.

Having a certain type of degree makes you more likely to be a certain type of person.

More prestigious jobs filter within degrees from a certain institution to pick the top 0.01% of a certain type of people.
>>
>>1076434
He probably means the arithmetic average (mean).
>>
>>1077562
Add
>"This is relevant for the Anglo world"
and it's worth screen-capping.

I've been asked on a phone interview, not what my grade/GPA is, but if I have any resits of my exams, i.e. "Have you ever caved under pressure?" etc.
>>
>>1076308
>Physics isn't even there
>Under $36,638
Just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>1076308
>i was able to make roughly 30k delivering pizza for a little bit more than part time

why even get a fuckign degree. just deliver pizza, get promoted to manager, then promoted to district manager and network from there.
>>
>>1076434
Average = mean.
Average =/= median.

You knew exactly what he meant, you just wanted to pretend like you're smarter than someone on an anonymous Chinese cartoon board
>>
>anywhere near 40k

you guys need to get a serious grip
>>
>>1076308

Look at the source for the statistic and sit down and analyze for a second.

MSU Eli Broad Business School is ranked (depending on which of the numbers you look at) like #42 (http://broad.msu.edu/information/broad-college-rankings/). Their average overall starting salary is $52,255 (https://lear.broad.msu.edu/files/2015/07/2014-Destination-Survey-Results.pdf).

NYU Stern on the other hand is ranked like #5 (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/new-york-university-193900/overall-rankings). Their average starting salary is $67,250 (http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admissions/undergraduate/future-success).

Eli acceptance rate: 34.1%
Stern acceptance rate: 13%

Why is this? Is it surprising that a more selective school with more applicants and a better placement record has students that do better?

Takeaway: Maybe when picking schools, you should apply to a better one, then you can get a better salary straight out of an undergraduate program. Could it also be like another poster said, that your life time earnings are a hell of a lot higher than somebody without a degree from one of these schools for example.

Degrees open doors, they can't force you to step through them.
>>
>>1077690
>This year CERI collected data from mid-August to mid-September, tapping the employment offices at 200 schools, which gathered starting salary data from 3,300 employers
>>
>>1076675
There's more good than people realize too. People have never lived so comfortably or had so many conveniences accessible to them.
>>
>>1076695
Union plumbers in Toronto make 1300 a week after an obscene amount of tax.

Electricians are around 1200/week.

Source: Dad's a plumber/welder, I'm a sparky.
>>
friend of my is in med school. he brags his entry annual salary as a doctor is 180K. is he trolling me?
>>
Starting salary isn't everything. A degree opens doors to a professional and gets you in at entry level. Then if you are competent, your earnings rise quickly.

People that start working early have a few years head start over a graduate. So it's tough in mid twenties when most of your age group has mortgages, cars and are starting families. When you're renting, taking public transport and struggling from month to month.

Then after a few years experience, your education starts paying for itself. Your CV puts you ahead of the competition. You have learned the value of money the hard way and don't spend above your income.

Life gets easier quickly. By early thirties you're earning double the average salary. That student loan has paid for itself already and you're getting wealthy fast.

Education is like an investment - the returns compound with time.
>>
>>1077967
That's almost completely wrong.

While yes, you will have more opportunities than someone without an education your ability to rise above your starting salary is going to depend on entirely external factors. While you will start to see your salary rise in your thirties you will also start to see a mismatch in your credentials/education and employer needs as you get older. Almost to the point when you are in your forties and fifties that any disruption in your employment situation has permenant damage.
>>
>>1077981
>People with degrees earned an average of £12,000 a year more than non-graduates over the past decade, statistics show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12983928

>In 2002, the Census Bureau projected lifetime earnings of employees with a bachelor's degree and those without. Non-degree holders could expect to earn 75% less than a bachelor's degree holder

http://study.com/articles/How_Much_More_Do_College_Graduates_Earn_Than_Non-College_Graduates.html

>over an adult's working life, high school graduates can expect, on average, to earn $1.2 million; those with a bachelor's degree, $2.1 million; and people with a master's degree, $2.5 million.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/moneymatters/a/edandearnings.htm
>>
File: 1385815455333.gif (2MB, 255x164px) Image search: [Google]
1385815455333.gif
2MB, 255x164px
>they all need the maths gene
>I don't have the maths gene
>>
>>1077953
The part he didn't tell you is that he'll be in $400k of high interest student loan debt by the time he becomes a full doctor.
>>
>>1078007
>For men and women without a degree, earnings increased for each year of age, levelling off at the age of 30 and peaking at £19,400 at the age of 34.

>For those with a degree, earnings increased faster for each year of age, levelling off at the age of 35 and peaking at £34,500 at the age of 51.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12983928
>>
>>1078029
>£34,500
Even white collar people are being fucked by the rich :(
>>
>>1076387
>>1076434

or is he talking about the mode?
>>
>>1076440
true. id also like to see listed along side the career how much certification is required/how often/price of recertifications,how many years needed until the "this is it" position,etc
>>
>>1076308
>>1078029
Some threads make me feel broke as shit. This is not one of them.
>>
>>1078324

Yes. Because just like every other poster you are obviously better than average.

Realize though that the REAL average dude in the US makes $47,230 a year.

And some other guys here are right, an AVERAGE plumber does make $53,240. Which is great, and close to college graduates. But notice that that contains everybody from who just started to those who are about to be retired.

But your average sales manager, with no special people skills or any measurable exceptional intelligence in the middle of their career makes $126,040. You can only imagine what a sales manager with the non-average skills of 4chin posters would pull in.

Source: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.