[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1 million graduates a year >100,000 job openings a year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 8nLFCVP.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
8nLFCVP.png
51KB, 657x527px
>1 million graduates a year
>100,000 job openings a year
>Only 1000 job openings in my particular area of interest
>Success ratio: 0.1%

Should I just play the lottery? Atleast I'll have a better chance of winning right?
>>
Are you an actor?
>>
>>1072131
Maybe an architect? But again, 100k job openings for that particular fields sounds highly exaggerated.
>>
This is why school can be overrated. You're better off starting at the bottom of a company at 18. I would bet you'd make a similar wage by 24 without having 80,000 in debt. Choosing a degree that's worth it is just as important as the degree itself.
>>
>>1072161
This really depends on the company though. Sure if it's a brand name company with a huge trainee section go for it, but if you get unlucky and get into a shit company, you'll end up doing faxes, taking phone calls and fetching coffee for the rest of your life.

And even if you leave, you'll have to start all over again sucking coporate dick from sqaure one again.

But I do see the advantages, but there certainly are trade-offs.
>>
>>1072173
Absolutely anon. There's pros and cons to both paths to be honest. A lot of people are under the impression that if you get a degree you're guaranteed a job. It seems like if you want have the highest possible employability, business or engineering are probably the best degrees.

Skilled trades are also a pretty good idea and pay well once you're certified. I know guys who started at 18, got certified around 24 and now have their own contracting business. There's more ways to make money than going to school.
>>
>>1072161
College is only worth it if you get good internships
>>
90% of those graduates are useless liberal arts degrees. Coincidence????
>>
>>1072181
Maybe I'm just a little bit baised from experience. I was interning at someplace, where another intern who had a master's in marketing, this boss had absolutely no intention of hiring at all, and he basically just used his position for free labor through interns.

But on the flip side, I know people who get shorter degrees, and start working basic banking trainee positions that are happy.

>Skilled trades

I think all the people I know who went into trades own houses and cars now, and I'm not even done with my master's yet.

I think as we move futher into the 'information age' and people have this wierd illusion of a cozy desk job and a long degree is the only way forward (myself included I guess), will only drive up demand and pay for skilled trades even more.
>>
>>1072199
Yeah skilled trades are a very viable option. You start out at a relatively low pay but you're learning on the job. A couple years and you're making some pretty decent money.
>>
>>1072203
And if you have the network and skills for it, you can pull even more by doing off-the-books work on the weekends. I know a bunch of electricians and carpenters who would basically have a normal full hour work week, and then do tax-free work for friends and network on the weekend.

Most of them stopped doing it because they got older and started valuing their time more (early 30s)
>>
>>1072129
>>Success ratio: 0.1%
Hmm, sounds like you'd have a much better chance of making a living daytrading.
>>
File: 09STEMeducation-1377102567732.jpg (105KB, 960x711px) Image search: [Google]
09STEMeducation-1377102567732.jpg
105KB, 960x711px
>>1072186
>useless liberal arts degrees.
Uhhh..
>>
>>1072219
that's what you get for falling for the STEM meme
>>
>>1072220
Actually it's what we get for letting judges rule that 'relevant' documented certifications are the only risk-free credential to specify in hiring, and letting congress pass laws to that effect, and voting in members who passed said laws.
>>
>>1072186
This meme needs to die.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.