[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sig/ - Self Improvement General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 18

File: 1425718654485.jpg (952KB, 1763x2034px) Image search: [Google]
1425718654485.jpg
952KB, 1763x2034px
I thought I'd try this general out on /biz/ as the /fit/ threads are usually just shitposts and arguments.

/sig/ Self Improvement General sticky - http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki//sig/_sticky

Essential Links:
http://www.arcitea.com/ - General self improvement wiki
http://www.habitrpg.com/ - Gamified to-do lists

Free learning resources:
http://duolingo.com/ - Learn a language
http://codeacademy.com/ - Learn to code
http://coursera.org/ - Courses on thousands of different topics

Basic recommendations:
• Create more order in your life. Live by a routine and set goals.
• Use a calendar and stick to it as closely as possible.
• Learn to focus + meditate
• Eliminate any unproductive or time wasting habits (watching youtube, browsing /b/, etc)
• Simplify your life. Work, hobby, socialize, eat, excercise, and sleep should be 90% of your day.
• Get a hobby that isn't excercise or work. If your hobby is video games, expand on that. Create content (guides, videos, etc.) for your favourite game or contribute your skills to an indie game project.
• Read non-fiction, watch talks/documentaries.

The best way to become a more interesting, successful and overall better person is to do more things. Try out hobbies, learn about politics, become passionate about different things, strive to learn and do more. Don't look for arguments or try to prove other's wrong. See pic related.

If this thread is successful and gets reposted, you'll be able to find the current /sig/ with:
>>>/biz/sig
>>
/biz/ isn't a self-improvement board. You don't come here to learn about philosophy books to read or to learn how to get a gf. You come here to learn how to make money.
>>
>>1071955
/biz/ is as much of a self-improvement board as /fit/ is. Making money and learning about finance is as important as health and fitness are in life.

You don't go to /fit/ to do either of those things too. You would go to /adv/ or /lit/.

The point is, improving yourself in one aspect in life will make you better in other aspects. If you stick to a schedule, improve your attitude, and become more knowledgeable, you'll become a better worker and will further your career. Self-improvement is more relevant in /biz/ than it is in any other board.
>>
File: 1453702807658.png (245KB, 436x359px) Image search: [Google]
1453702807658.png
245KB, 436x359px
>>1071955
...and how successful has that been for you? listening to biz
>>
>>1071955
shut the fuck up moron
>>
gud thred
>>
>calling all eurofags that want to start their small business eventually

there is a European Business Law course in coursera, starts feb. 8th.
>>
I like it, good one OP. Money is one aspect of the big picture. Success in one area of life affects and depends other areas.
>>1071955
You sir, are a brainless goon who can't see further than his nose.
>>
Is there a best /biz/ language to learn? I'd like to fire up Duolingo for 30 or so per night
>>
>>1071945
I like this thread.
It is a very good thread.
>>
>>1073412
You, I like you.
>>1072853
Personal preference, pick what you have heritage in or whichever has a culture that's interesting. I'm trying to learn Swedish.

What steps are you guys taking to better yourselves? I'm down from 40+hours per week in video games to 5-10 and only playing with friends.

Going to setup a Habitica profile tonight.
>>
i hate my job. i'm in the military, but shit sucks and i'm stuck in an office. i make alot of money, so i don't want to be a failure but it's hard to give a fuck. but because i got 10 years in that pension looks sweet, and i can't just quit and come back

anyone in a similar situation turn it around and become successful?
>>
I'd love for this be a reoccuring thread on /biz/ as we're small enough to not get into shitposting and arguing like /fit/, I hope.

These seem to be all pretty good resources, but the one thing I don't like about duolingo is that if you learn a language that doesn't use the latin alphabet (mainly russian) they don't teach you the alphabet.

Hoping these threads can be a /biz/ mainstay
>>
>>1073446
I'll keep posting it as long as it hits 300 posts before it 404's. If it is successful I'll put together a better wiki page too.

If you're looking at learning Russian, I would read through reddit's language learning wiki/faq (https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/wiki/index#wiki_faq) Ctrl + F "Russian" and you'll find a ton of links and resources (as with many other languages)

>>1073434
I'm not sure how the military works, but you're probably best sticking it out and picking up a hobby that could turn into a source of cash. The internet opens up tons of doors for making money, there's people making hundreds of thousands off just filming themselves building tables or teaching people how to make fire with no tools.
>>
If you haven't already read it, I would recommend reading "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. Single most profound self improvement book I've ever read. I always had an appreciation for the Romans, but Aurelius' insights are transcendental.

The only criticism, which isn't really a criticism as much as a disagreement, is his use of Gods to account for the unknown. The unknown is something that we as present day humans can't really write off, but figuring it out is part of life.

/lit/ really is a good board for self improvement, even if most of them are pretty religious.
>>
>>1071945
Good idea, it's great for keeping all that advice given in threads of people asking what to do with their lives in one place instead of opening new threads. I recommend adding Mr. Money Moustache and Early Retirement Extreme's blogs to OP since both deal with self improvement and /biz/ related stuff.
>>
The best self improvement is financial so it shouldnt be hard to stay on topic. Money is freedom and more money.
>>
This is basically the greatest idea we've had in a while.
>>
>>1073536
Thx anon. I'm hoping it cuts down on some of the repetitive threads of people asking for advice about how to be more motivated.

Also thinking of making a /cag/ Career Advice General thread so there isn't 5 "college degree tiers" images on the catalog at any given moment.. Then all we need is a stupid questions/qtddtot thread, and a proper sticky.

>>1073496
Thanks for the recommendation. I've read Descartes' Meditations but I haven't heard of Aurelius until now.

>>1073523
Thanks for the recommendations, but I want to keep the OP clear of any blogs. If I ever end up making a wiki page/sticky I'll be sure to add them to a list though.
>>
>>1071945
>>>/trash/
>>
OP, I started the thread on /fit/ a few days ago and was disappointed with the tepid response. Thanks for starting it here.
>>
Google "The enlightened Man's book collection" (not sure of the exact title)

Download that shit, thank me later
>>
>>1071945

Thanks for the arcitea link brah.
>>
Excellent thread this. Thanks for the links. I've been on my personal development journey for over 2 years now. Spent the 1st year learning, 2nd year inplementing and I'm now on my third year so I'm tweaking my processes and methods.
I've found personal development an amazing tool to just keep me motivated to get stuff done. I can't say it's been the main factor in my recent successes but it's played a massive part and I urge you all to at least try it. There's a lot to be said for continual learning and I think if you can take action on that learning you've cracked it.
If you master how to develop and control your finances, time, learning, actions and people skills you'll be well on your way to success.
Keep on the rise!
>>
I'm a huge fan of these threads, but I think the best place would be /adv/? Fit has too many people on it, and biz is kinda off topic

Currently reading "how to be unmistakable". Not a bad book, only through 10% sofar
>>
>>1073496
For someone like me this book is extremely easily mockable, but desu been reading it and it's been great.
>>
>>1071945
I've tried to make threads like this OP. Glad people have finally decided it is a good idea. I'll contribute every day.

Anyone here been using Habitrpg for a long time? I've been considering it but for some reason I am reluctant. How helpful is it? Do you lose interest after a while?
>>
I guess I'll post in here for my question. So I'm a sophomore Econ student, and I can either get a masters over the course of my 4th year, or use that 4th year to complete a double major in Comp Sci. Which should I go for? My heart leans towards the MA, but my brain tells me to do CS. Any help?
>>
>>1074079
If you can actually get a masters in 4 years in Econ then go for that. 1 Masters will give you better job prospects than 2 degrees, and if you can study programming (MySQL + a language like Java, C++, C) on your own time then you'll be setup for a high paying econometrics/data analysis job.

>>1074007
It's surprisingly addictive if you set it up properly and play fair. I'm sure it'll get boring after a bit but I guess the point is to create good habits with it before that time comes.
>>
File: CI8emnhUEAEyFL5.jpg (27KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
CI8emnhUEAEyFL5.jpg
27KB, 495x495px
>>1071945
>Eliminate any unproductive or time wasting habits
>thread posted on /biz/

TOP JEJ
>>
>>1074205
The point of this thread is to help people who spend all day on 4chan become better and more productive humans.

back to
>>>/r9k/
you frogposter
>>
Personally speaking anon, I wouldn't do a masters before you have experience. I'm degree educated and all that got me was the interview. It was my hard work, people skills and understanding of office cultures/ politics that got me the job and internal promotion. I would take your education and find a reasonably paid job. I would milk it for all the training and experience you're gonna get, then I'd move jobs. Only once I had 4 or 5 years experience in the field I want to get my masters in would I consider taking a step out and entering education then. You have real experience to apply your theory to and better still your current employer might pay for it. The reason I wouldn't go straight in to a masters is that I've been promoted internally within a year through hard work. I now manage a team of 10 and do the recruitment interviews for my site. The candidate I interview can be educated to the hilt, but if they have no real world experience or can't deal with people, they soon get forgotten.
>>
>>1073979
Critics can say that Aurelius' pagan values were ultimately his downfall, but it's a hard argument to say that his social and moral values weren't profound.

Aurelius kept free from passion, and really believed that men were truly made to help other men. His selflessness and true care for his family and friends are why he is one of the greatest emperors in history.
>>
>>1073496
>>1074316
Mediations is meh tier, If you really know ancient philosophy you would neither count Mediations as a great work nor hold Aurelius as a Great Philosopher.

But Philosopher King is a nice meme so he is popular, so his work is popular.

Not saying his work is abysmal but its deffinetly not great, its good thats it.

I'm not saying this as a philosophical "le you lack sophisticated tastes like I have" hipster, so take no offense.
>>
File: phillipino in fedora.jpg (11KB, 242x209px) Image search: [Google]
phillipino in fedora.jpg
11KB, 242x209px
>>1073586
>Google "The enlightened Man's book collection" (not sure of the exact title)
>>
>>1074237
Fair enough, but I'm hoping to get an internship this summer so I can get practical experience, and starting this summer could help me over all. Thoughts on that?
>>
>>1071955
You have got to be kidding me. Money is the number one factor in sucess. Making more money is self improvement.

The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1071945
>Get a hobby that isn't excercise or work. If your hobby is video games, expand on that. Create content (guides, videos, etc.) for your favourite game or contribute your skills to an indie game project.
This is poor advice. Exercise is a fantastic hobby. It stimulates the mind and makes you more energetic. Not to mention more attractive. Attractive people are also statistically more likely to be paid more than equally qualified peers.

On setting goals. Actually set them. Write them down somewhere that you'll see every day. It should be tangible. Then break it down into its smallest possible part. My goal for the year is to break $250,000 in income. I need to write $200,000 in business for my company a month. That's $50,000 in a work week. $10,000 a day. I have a huge whiteboard in my house with all of this on it. The date planner in my bag also has a small $10,000 written on every work day.

It's hokey and stupid. I didn't do this shit for a long time, but I gave in this year and have seen a marked improvement. Whatever your goal, break it down to the ridiculous and remind yourself every day when your feet hit the floor.
>>
>>1074492
I would excise isn't a hobby but retards have turned eating into a hobby so I guess fitness can be too.

Fitness really should just be a natural part of life like taking a shit and sleeping.
>>
>>1074492
Fitness is a mandatory activity IMO. Lifting/running/swimming/sports are great hobbies but it should not be your only hobby by any means, which is why I grouped it with work. I guess I should have added an extra point in the OP mentioning how important fitness is.

Everyone should have some sort of hobby where they're creating something in my opinion. Whether it's tangible or not, the satisfaction you'll get and the life lessons you'll learn (that can be applied to business) are priceless. I left the op more vague because I'm sure there are people who would disagree and say "work should be your only hobby"
>>
Ok, where is the cheapest place to design and purchase business cards? Specifically with a photo?
>>
I like this thread. Anyone have a link to The 50th Law pdf or audiobook?
>>
Try vistaprint
>>
Let's get some daily updates on our progress going.

Starting today I'm using Evernote to write daily To Do lists. I'm going to complete everything on the list before I do anything fun.
>>
Are standing desks a meme?

I'm pretty sure it's inactivity causing heart disease and premature death.
>>
File: e734c5af.jpg (615KB, 1021x1203px) Image search: [Google]
e734c5af.jpg
615KB, 1021x1203px
Posting this here since it's really helped me out in getting a strict schedule going. It keeps your schedule varied while allowing room for situational changes if something else could be done better than what was scheduled at a given time .

>>1075684
I use Evernote with this system, and the two work really well together.
>>
>>1075715
Wasn't there a study talking about how sitting for long periods of causes diabetes?
>>
>>1074492
What's your business?
>>
>>1075727
Thank you. This is going to help a lot.
>>
Hey. By now I've lost interest in doing much of anything beyond what keeps me alive, browsing 4chan, and masturbating. Here's what I've been doing to kinda get me started:
>applying for jobs
>driving with friends to work on getting a license
>being a bit more aggressive in looking for a gf, trying to be a bit more careful when texting and talking to girls to avoid sperging out
I'm probably gonna start doing bodyweight routines later on, since I'm way too self conscious to go to the gym, and I can't go when I want to (the ass hours of the morning)
Good start?
Also, I could assemble a mega of philosophical and motivational essays that aren't dreadfully cheesy if people are into that. Stuff like On Self Reliance and Camus's essays on Sisyphus.
>>
>>1075750
I also recommend rereading these rules at least once every week, when you make your weekly goals. The last paragraph always really makes an impact on me and helps me stay disciplined enough to continue using this method.
>>
>>1071945
Good thread op I'd like to see more of this on /biz/ so people can elevate there shipposting abilitys
>>
Anyone here interested in a personal development buddy? To not sound lame, it's basically a person you discuss your learnings with, wins, losses and goals for the weeks/ months to come. Someone you can rely on to give advice and someone you can grow with. If you're interested give me a shout, we might be able to work something out.
>>
>>1075753
go to the gym NOW. if you're waiting for the perfect moment for anything, you're not going to advance fast enough.

People at the gym don't care about you. And even if they were pointing at you and giggling behind your back, which I absolutely guarantee is not going to happen, you should still go.

Bodyweight exercise progress is much, much slower than going to the gym. Just fucking go, now, instead of "probably going to start a bodyweight routine soon".
>>
>>1075867
Point taken. My sister has a membership, I can go with her. Thanks anon. I don't know much about weightlifting, should I go with SS or just do a routine based around the machines?
>>
File: Personal-Capital.jpg (181KB, 650x350px) Image search: [Google]
Personal-Capital.jpg
181KB, 650x350px
Remember to sign up for personal capital so you can track your monthly finances.
>>
>>1075850
*shout*
>>
>>1075850
email me at [email protected]
>>
>>1075871
Just do SS and if you need to lose weight, add in a bit of cardio at the end of your workout (stairmaster/exercise bike are probably best)
>>
>>1075871
I recommend at least skimming the Harsh wikia, you can find it in the /fit/ sticky. It's a very good collection of the research consensus on nearly every topic you're going to need, from dieting to exercise.

He really did a good job of avoiding all the cosmo type bullshit that is floating around, and distilled the basic facts.

Just trust me, going to the gym is well fucking worth the time and money investment. In a few months, you're going to be pissed at yourself you didn't start earlier.

SS and cardio is cool, as the other anon said. Don't be afraid to switch routines when the gains slow down in a few months. Also, if you don't know how to use a machine or something, just ask one of the buff guys, they are surprisingly cool. Plus, it's an ego boost when a newbie asks you for advice.

Good luck bro!
>>
>>1075923
Got it. SS and Cardio. I've read through the wiki before, it'll be good to go through it again.
>>
>>1075684
Can confirm Evernote is amazing if you use it everyday, I use the premium version because of the mass of stuff I upload to it.
>>
>>1075741
I'm a salesman for a multinational corporation.
>>
>>1075753
I am interested in the essays you are talking about. Also, keep going and I think you'll make it.
>>
>>1075945
Oh, sales, never mind. My people skills are trash. Also, what the fuck is someone with people skills doing on 4chan?
>>
>>1075982
4chan being for autists is a meme.
>>
>>1075986
It truly was back in the day. I'm the sales nigger from upthread and I've been here since '06. ("You're here forever" isn't a joke.) And the site has been much more normalized than it used to be.

And I'm a closeted autist. I watch anime, hate the Halo games but read the lore, jerk it to doujins, and all manner of other shit. I just buried that all deep down. I'm 90% sure if I stopped caring what other people thought and just did me I'd be diagnosed on the spectrum somewhere.
>>
>>1076027
I discovered 4chan in 07 or 08. I'm pretty fucking spergy and weird too but I make it work and most people like me. Remember when /b/ was good?
>>
>>1076036
/b/ was never good
>>
>>1076036
I just miss the days of /b/ where they'd organize and use the numbers to make something significant and funny happen on the internet. Not to mention the creativity some of the users had. Now it's just trap porn and pictures of girls in bikinis from facebook.
>>
>>1076027
>>1076036

Gotta admit, I'm pretty jealous of both you guys. I've had two sales jobs and was ass at both of them. I'm doing decently well for myself (accountant at corporate investment firm) but know I could be going so much further in life if my sales skills were better. It's the one thing holding me back from starting my own business because I know no matter how good of an idea I may have, it's worthless if I can't convince a single prospect.

My first sales job was door-to-door house paint sales for one of those scam "college pro" companies. I only had one sale, and that was a mom who specifically told me she only said yes because she felt sorry for me.
>>
>>1076049
Have you heard of Brian Tracy? He gives good advice in general but when he starts talking about career paths not all of it applies to me because sales isn't my industry. You should search youtube for his audiobooks.
>>
>>1075753
>since I'm way too self conscious to go to the gym
Please don't use that as an excuse. As a skinny nobody who just started going to the gym as of september, I can promise you nobody will bat an eye at you. The whole being self conscious thing at the gym is such a load of shit. Everybody there is trying to do the same thing you're trying to do.
>>
How do i make money online??

>tfw 50% of young adults are unemployed here
>>
>>1076087
Where do you live?
>>
>>1076089
balkan :((
>>
>>1076093
Sorry bro. It's not much better in parts of the US. We have people trying to live off money from donating blood plasma.
>>
>>1076087
Mechanical turk

It's mind numbing and boring but I've averaged 7-8 bucks an hour and it's better than no job

The people who no-life it and have really good qualifications get $100+ a day pretty regularly but that's like a full time job filling out forms
>>
>>1076093
If you live in one of the places where rent is $200/month and you have good English skills you could just write/spin articles on Fiverr and be set. If you have any other computer skills (video/photo editing) you can also sell them on Fiverr.
>>
>>1076097
thank man
checking it out
>>
>>1071955

True but the two often go hand-in-hand
>>
>>1073496

> appreciation for the Romans

Me too. They were a murderous bunch though.

I'm reading Rise and Fall of Rome right now. Most all leaders in Roman history were beloved and then murdered.
>>
>>1074736

> Fitness should be mandatory

agreed. If you can't put in 1 - 2 hours a week towards preserving your heart and muscles, then I just don't get what the fuck you are doing with yourself.
>>
Well I think this thread is a good idea so I'll post where I am right now

>Male
>23
>Stuck at sophomore level college
>Theatre major
>White (if that matters)
>Around 287 pounds (last time I went to the doctor)

I'm working at Kmart right now. Just got a 25 cent raise which is pretty nice. I'm trying to get through college currently after being a shit about it for a couple years. I'm actually giving a shit about the classes and I'm doing a lot better than I was before.

I'm also about to start my 3rd week of Couch to 5k. Honestly guys if you haven't tried it and you're a fat shit you should give it a try. It doesn't ask a whole lot out of you.

I'm also considering opening a small business in my town but I'm not sure how worthwhile it is.

>Coffee shop with setup for bands/acts to come through

It's lacking in my area, but my area is a dry county so it'd be a real pain to get a liquor license if I wanted to go down that road. Also does everyone think a coffee shop is too played out for 20 somethings? I'm worried that it will just be too generic of an idea.
>>
>>1076478
>Theatre major

If you really want to improve yourself, that's the first thing that needs to change.
>>
>>1076545
That's not necessarily good advice. If he's passionate about theatre, he'll find a way to make a living off of it, and a degree will be helpful to reach that goal. Although, if he's just taking theatre in college because he had fun making friends in theatre in high school, then he's probably wasting his time/money.
>>
>>1076545
I would say theatre is a waste if you don't do technical work. If you can do even one skill competently you can have a good career.

The real cheat code for it is to go to SETC and shop around your portfolio. Even if you have very little on it you can still get internships at all sorts of places. I know a guy who graduated with lighting and now he has a job at Disneyworld.
>>
>>1076725
That being said I came on at a shit time because the technical theatre got their space taken away at a really bad time so it kinda fucked the whole program for a few years which is part of why I became such a shit about going back until now. That being said I do think about making it my minor and just going for something better like Business or Computer Science
>>
Step one--eat/sleep well. Those are equal to me.
Step two--fitness/cut out intoxicants
Step three--change the fucking program!! Joint clubs, cooking class, photography, volunteering, anything to change the channel

That's my most concise contribution
>>
>>1071945
I like what you're doing here OP

Keep up the good work
>>
>>1076169
Well all the murdering certainly solved all their problems? Caesar's being a tyrant, kill him, Caligula put his horse on Senate, kill him.
>>
>>1073412
this
>>
>>1074367
thing is, meditations was the guys' personal philosophical journal. It was written by himself, to remind himself, of the ways he wished he would act. Things that he thought were poignant, things like that. Epictetus' discourses is a proper work, not some dude's journal.

That said, meditations is the one book that has had the most impact in my life, probably partly due to the fact that lol he was emperor, but that's ok, too.
>>
I spent years putting in effort with no return until I learned about the "under the hood" stuff.

>http://pastebin.com/TiJ53ZpX
This guy knows whats up.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q03L18pEP4I
Expands on concept from first guy I posted. If you put desire for wealth on autopilot, you become a "wealth addict" and your brain gives you resources to pursue it and filters the world so it "filters in" ways of making money. Affirmations is a brute force way of reprogramming your desire, so you can "crave" wealth. Imagine if working towards fat stacks was easier than looking at porn.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoL0XNfSViA
Success and wealth desire is like any other skill. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence

>One Month Patterning
Find the hemisync program. Work your way to the one month patterning portion(ignore the woo woo stuff if it rubs you the wrong way.) This is like affirmations on steroids. Program yourself to to want something at the gut level and you will have a hard time stopping yourself from having it. I personally think the addiction mechanism is the greatest too that mandkind has yet to master. Program yourself to have gratitude towards wealth and health.

>http://images.thesecret.tv/The-Science-of-Getting-Rich.pdf
Chek out the section on gratitude. It is a magnet that gives you more of something.
Inspiration comes from the divine(subconcious for the atheists). Don't care what your religious shit is. Inspired ideas is how you think of ways to make money and to see opportunities that others are blind to. Theres a reason Tarantino doesn't believe in any religious or spiritual shit except "divine inspiration". He knows not to bite the hand that feeds him. JK Rowling claims to have became the most financially successful writer due to divine inspiration.

>https://www.tonyrobbins.com/pdfs/Workbook-Energy-for-Life.pdf

Alkalize to get more energy than caffeine can give. Meditate to get more calm than nicotine can give.
>>
File: lazyriches121.jpg (49KB, 298x475px) Image search: [Google]
lazyriches121.jpg
49KB, 298x475px
>>1077525
reminds me of the lazy mans way to riches.
http://www.what-is-coaching.com/support-files/lazymansway2riches.pdf
>>
>>1077558
I meant to read that months ago. Just moved it on priority list.

Just from the title alone it reminds of how little result I actually got whenever I was "working hard". If the process of making money is stressing you out, you need to change part of the process or the system as a whole.

You also made me think of Perry Belcher. Might want to check him out.
>>
>>1077558
I couldn't get through that book, felt really tacky. Honestly, the one and only book you need involving money is The Richest Man in Babylon.

So yeah, I'm assembling a self-help bundle. Probably not as vast as /fit/'s recommended reading, but, it'll work.

>Sun and Steel
>The Richest Man in Babylon
>Discourses by Epictetus
>Franklin on Wealth
>A Confederacy of Dunces (Because I can't find Rusty Brown, this should work as proper character assassination for NEETs)
>On Self-Reliance
>>
>>1077525
>>http://pastebin.com/TiJ53ZpX
>This guy knows whats up.
Anyone have an archive link to this thread? He gives some great advice that lines up with the habits of some very successful people I know.

Thanks for all of the material, anon.
>>
Some great material here. Would you recommend discourses by epictetus?
>>
Anyone here in IT? Trying to figure out which path would be best. Right now, I maintain inventory of about 2000 items across two sites, so I was thinking of inventory management, but no idea what would get me on that path.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>put 4k in trust fund two years ago
>dad is "taking care of it"
>haven't looked since

what the fuck should i do
can you guys direct me on a good investment or should i trust the banker
>>
File: buddha[1].jpg (22KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
buddha[1].jpg
22KB, 460x276px
>>1077525
>>1077558

This kind of logic makes no sense to me. If you're going to work to reprogram your subconscious to crave success, you may as well take the easier, Buddhist route and teach your subconcious to want nothing. Then you achieve the same level of happiness for less work. Depending on who you ask, it may even be more happiness than the "success" route.
>>
>>1078124
Have a discussion with him about it. Ask what he's doing. Use it as an opportunity to learn about money management. If you don't feel comfortable about it, take your money out of the fund and put it elsewhere.
>>
>>1078189
thanks
>>
>>1078109
>I maintain inventory of about 2000 items across two sites, so I was thinking of inventory management

I don't really know what this means, but if you can build a database to accurately categorize and store those items (plus about 10,000 more) you can make a lot of money as a DBA.

Networking is always good too, especially if you are in Burgerland.
>>
>>1078201

No, it's not anything that impressive, we have asset tracking software and I'm the one responsible for it.
>>
>>1077855
http://desustorage.org/fit/thread/25741284/
Become one of those successful people you know. Modern society is disgustingly fair.

>>1078133
From my prospective, that's the logic of a very selfish person. Plus it sounds kinda boring. But if that route sounds more appealing, don't let a stranger tell you how to live your life.

To me success is directly tied to creating value in the world. Could you imagine what the world would be like if over 50% of people woke up every morning with a boner towards the idea of being productive and creating cool and useful stuff?

Instead of just trying to obtain liberation I feel its my duty to make it so numerous other people can at least have the option of attempting to do so, instead of being drug down by basic maslow bullshit.
>>
>>1078124
Learn about building yourself a ETF portfolio.

Or if you want to use your time for other things than learning financial stuff, go with a robot adviser like https://www.betterment.com/
(depends on your country)
You will still pay a higher MER than with ETF but way lower than with the bank.

To get a lower the MER (management expense ratio) is one of the first things to do imo, as it is eating a part of your returns.
>>
File: 1430112902323.jpg (95KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
1430112902323.jpg
95KB, 653x490px
>>1076478
>>Stuck at sophomore level college
>>
>>1077525
>>http://pastebin.com/TiJ53ZpX
Unclench your motherfucking anus. Secret to success right there.

And of course
>http://images.thesecret.tv/The-Science-of-Getting-Rich.pdf
>http://images.thesecret.tv/
>the secret
>THE SECRET

I think you should be posting on /x/, mate
>>
>>1076841

Not really. They were kinda like Americans.

Fanatical, get behind something, then sweep everything under the rug, and get behind a new thing. Rinse and repeat. And conquer everything.
>>
Oh I meant to say that I am going to be going to a small business workshop next Tuesday to try and get some help with my business planning so I'll try to post whenever that happens.
>>
>>1073421

How come I've never heard of this before? It seems interesting, kind of like a hook to use until the habit becomes ingrained.
>>
Bumping for book recommendations (can't find that enlightened man list anywhere for some reason)
>>
What are the best autobiographies of billionaires?
>>
>>1072853
English
>>
What are some things I can learn/do while in college that will benefit me in finding a job in the future. I've already taken up learning Spanish, so I'll know 3 languages. Other than that idk what to do. Was thinking about learning to code but it doesn't seem like a good idea unless you dedicate a lot to learning it.
>>
>>1071945
I know it's been said but really like the idea of this thread
>>
Do any of you have a daily, morning or evening routine? Does it set you up for success? Describe your routines biz!

I wake 7 am, spend 20 minutes doing yoga, spend 20 minutes in the shower and then spend 20 minutes planning my day before leaving for work at 8am. At 12 I stop work, eat my food, at 12:20 I read till 12:40 then I power walk for 20 minutes and start work again at 1. I haven't managed to get in to an evening routine yet but I'm working on it.
>>
>>1079281
Connections.

Think about all the people who say 'friend from college' while talking business.
>>
>>1074079
Double major in CS. No bout a doubt it. Great combination and will help you land your first internships/jobs. Only really consider the masters once you have at least a few years experience.
>>
>>1078229
Thinking about buying montly for 150 Euro
MSCI World (60%)
MSCI Emerging Markets (20%)
Eurostoxx 600 (20%)

Any opinions?
>>
>>1076478
Love the coffeeshop idea. Always wanted to do something like that myself to help local bands. Keep going, brother.
>>
>>1079399
Great start man,
>>
Who here have problems with their brain?

Some days I feel like I got 80 IQ. Head hurts, can't understand simple math(makes 0 sense), lose every single chess game because just can't think, can't even stay focused to read a paragraph - can only skim through it and of course not understand anything.

The fuck do I do?
>>
>>1079675
Check your diet. B vitamins are awesome. Magnesium is awesome. Zinc is awesome. Consistent time and sufficient amount of sleep is most awesome.
>>
>>1079675
I feel similar (not as bad as you're describing) if I don't eat or drink enough. Make sure you have a healthy meal and enough water every morning.
>>1079678
This too. If I don't sleep between 7-9 hours i feel tired/out of it all day.
>>
What advice do you have for someone trying to get back into finance or consulting? Made a career mistake, and now at 27 I want to get back into what I majored & had an internship in (finance). I have 4 years of tech sales experience, and seeing that go to waste is painful.

Is it possible to change my career? If so, what are the best steps to do so? I'd like to forego an MBA until I can afford it.
>>
>>1079587
As long as this general stays up I'm intending to update and make myself accountable for the idea so I don't just abandon it for no reason.
>>
home gym starter pack should be added to the op
>>
>>1071962
This
Biz is great for getting a heads up on new topics and terms. Other than that anything you read here needs to be researched further on your own. Never ever ever take what you read here at face value.
>>
Help please.

Sometimes people don't know what their dreams, ambitions, or desires are. They don't know what to do with their life. If this is you then maybe one of these three techniques will help:

1. Ask yourself: What's the one thing I'd do every day if money were not an issue?

2. Imagine: In the frighteningly near future you will find yourself with only a few moments of life left; in these fleeting moments, you will reflect wistfully on things that you wish you had done, and things that you wish you still would have time to do. Close your eyes, relax, and put yourself in this very real and upcoming event. What are you thinking of?

3. Imagine: There is an idea of a person in your mind. This person has been in your mind for as long as you can remember. He is perfect in every way. He possesses all of the physical and mental characteristics and attributes that you wish for yourself. Write down clearly all of the characteristics that you imagine of him and work every moment to become this person. Becoming this person and acheiving these attributes is your goal. In this perspective, it does not matter what you are doing, but rather who you are being, and if you do this, then what you're doing will work itself out exactly as it should.

Do you have ideas?
>>
>>1079686
CFA?

Have you taken any of the series exams?
>>
>>1079686
You could do an internship again. Might require working toward a masters though.
>>
File: finance degree.png (256KB, 684x1296px) Image search: [Google]
finance degree.png
256KB, 684x1296px
>>1071961
/biz/ and /fit/ go hand in hand.

Regardless of intent or whatever, they have become self improvement pages because that's what the people want.
>>
>>1079947
They tell it's about 300-400h time of studying to pass the CFA exam.

That's... a lot. But interesting though.
>>
>>1079947

I've thought about doing CFA or Series 7 which may bypass the need for MBA. It's also much cheaper in the long run.
>>
>>1071962
More than you'd think, honestly.
>>
What are good books to learn about the economy and the Fed? I was thinking of buying Ron Paul's "End The Fed".

Also not too advanced please, I only know the basics of economics.
>>
File: 1425176923363.jpg (944KB, 1345x1450px) Image search: [Google]
1425176923363.jpg
944KB, 1345x1450px
>>1080930
/biz/ is nice in that it gives you a taste of a lot of topics that are usually harder to get "clean" knowledge of. You learn about trading, general investing, internet marketing, etc. without endless secret sauce product shills like you have on forums.

>>1080937
Not sure about the quality of all of the books on the list, but the micro/macroeconomics textbooks listed are pretty good.
>>
>>1080940
We need less "how to be a millionaire" books and more actual books on economics and dynamics of markets on that list
>>
>>1080947
Yeah this was created when /biz/ was brand new probably by someone who sorted business books by popularity on amazon. Some of the books are quite good though, just have to ignore the rehashed Millionaire Fastlane junk.
>>
>>1080955
Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell looks promising
>>
>>1075850
Would join an irc channel if you get one set up
>>
>>1079399
In the evening I tend to go for a couple hour jog while listening to audiobooks. Healthy, relaxing, and educational at the same time. Plus I'm always tired afterwards which lets me adjust my sleeping schedule quite easily.
>>
So I just realized I have my first 10K in my bank account now.

I don't really feel like being too risky with this yet since it's still baby money, but I don't want it doing nothing. Is a money market account an alright alternative to a savings account?
>>
>>1080940
Creating /biz/ was the last great thing moot ever did.
>>1080947
Yeah, "I Will Teach You To Be Rich" specifically is a pretty misleading title. It's more like how to manage a budget when you're already rich.
>>
I'm trying to be a better man, but I'm not sure what else I should be doing. Right now my life is pretty basic so any suggestions on what else I can do are welcome.

Career:
>23
>Degree in Mining Engineering
>Currently working at a civil engineering firm as an EIT due to the poor state of the mining industry
>Have a 60k/yr offer for a job as a metallurgist, plus stock options. Plan to take it.
>If mining continues to suck shit I'll do comp. sci
>Have ~60k investment managed by somebody else

Exercise:
>Train for 1hr 15 min 4 times a week, kickboxing
>Spar 2-3 hours per week
>Lift 3 times/week (starting strength, squat is up to 260)
>Will compete in a kickboxing tourney in 1.5 months

"Intellectual":
>Reading through the Wealth of Nations, the Theory of Moral Sentiments, and Margin of Safety
>Learning python, do everything on Cloud9
>Play a little vidya (dwarf fortress)

I seem to be doing alright but I feel unfulfilled. I have a bit of a social life and a qt gf but the social life is quiet and the relationship long-distance. Not sure what to do about it though.

>>1075850
Interested. How should we set up correspondence?

>>1079675
I only ever feel like this if I'm on low sleep, which is basically how I functioned throughout university. It's an awful feeling.
>>
How do I get better at reading? In theory everything in my life is going great I just can't focus for more than 3 pages before needing a break.
>>
>>1081474
I could make an irc or teamspeak channel or something? Saves us posting our personal info all over biz
>>
>>1080997
Think I'll do just that mate, bear with me I'll let you know when it's up and running
>>
Swefag here. Working low level accounting job. Looking for self improvement buddy. Anybody interested?
>>
>>1081505
If I'm not interested at all in what I'm reading the same happens with me. If it's actually interesting to you then you need to improve your focus. I haven't started yet, but apparently meditation helps for that.
>>1081528
I've seen a couple /biz/ irc's fall, but if you're going to be committed to staying active, it may stay alive. Most of the time they die because the creator/"leader" gets bored and stops interacting, and everyone else slowly dissipates.
>>1081474
Your life seems pretty in order right now. I would read up on investing and manage your own 60k if you have time. I do, however, think putting more effort into learning programming would be a better use of your time, especially if you see the mining industry decline further.
>>
>>1081474
I feel you, I'm yet to graduate but I understand that unfulfilling life. Do you have any long-term objective, something you can work towards? I know I totally lack one, so I rely on managing a uni club to feel somewhat useful.
>>
>>1081569
>>1081474
Oh wow I completely missed the unfulfilled sentence. You should definitely look into having your gf relocate to you or vice versa, if not letting her go and finding a local bae. Long distance relationships are a pretty bad idea unless it's very temporary.

To improve your social life, you should maybe add on a more casual sport (tennis, beer league of any sport) or volunteer/find classes/activities to take part in. Like I said in a few other posts in this thread, a hobby improves many aspects of your life. A hobby like car modification/restoration is a good creative outlet and you can find just about any type of person that's also interested in cars, so it's easy to make friends. Only issue with that hobby in specific, is it's quite expensive.
>>
File: 1451315232822.jpg (30KB, 720x438px) Image search: [Google]
1451315232822.jpg
30KB, 720x438px
>>1071955
Hahahahahahahaha
>>
File: 4L_ImmpbVhT.jpg (19KB, 640x154px) Image search: [Google]
4L_ImmpbVhT.jpg
19KB, 640x154px
>>1071968
Is this u
>>
i've always been raised with the ''money isnt important, happyness is'' mentality.
i can pretend i think so too but its not true. i dont want some middle class life. its superficial or shallow or whatever but i cant help it.

Career:
>18
>in three years i'll have a specific micro engineering degree
>starting at about 65k/yr (euros) when experienced/good enough could go up to 250k/yr if lucky
>have about 10k from inheritance in bank doing nothing

how do i not become middle class? what are good steps to take early on?

>>1081527
interested too

also trying to get ripped but w/e
>>
Guys does anyone have tips for general saving? I really want to be frugal but I feel like I have no self control and can't save money week to week. I'd like to be able to save up throughout the month to buy clothes and shit at the end but my money always goes.
>>
>>1076097
how much do you usually have to pay out to get someone to actually do the task?
>>
>>1081527
We'd want some way of communicating that's anonymous, that's for sure.

>>1081569
That's why I'm reading Margin of Safety - after I finish that I plan to move on to Security Analysis and then focus on mining stock investments. With my background in mining and all of the connections I have there I think mining is the way to go. It's crashed pretty badly and I'm fairly sure that most stocks are undervalued or were recently undervalued (see Teck's stock price on January 13th compared to its price today and it's price last year).

Because I already have a degree in Engineering, my university offers a 2-year computer science degree that cuts out a lot of the more feelings-based courses. I've spent my life being told I'd make a good computer scientist, partially because I have the social skills that a lot of them lack, so I'm confident I could succeed there.

>>1081581
A long-term objective is something that I lack, honestly. It's weird but I've always felt that I can do whatever I want to in life - the only problem being that I don't know WHAT I want in life.

>>1081591
Yeah, the gf and I need to sort out that shit. We see each other every 3 weeks but every 3 weeks really isn't all that much. Hard to say if it'll work out - it could be LDR for another 2.5 years due to her school and my work being 7 hours apart. I really like her, that's what makes things tough.

My kickboxing crew, lifting buddies and casual ultimate frisbee team are basically who I hang out with so sports are absolutely a solid way to meet people. I've been thinking of volunteering on my weekends though as a way to get out more.
>>
>>1081644
>how do i not become middle class

Lucky speculative investments or starting your own business.
>>
>>1081694
But then again, it depends on your definitions of middle and upper class.
>>
>>1081663
I grew up in a frugal household and was the most miserly of the brood, so I may have some advice.

1) Don't eat out unless you have a good reason to. Shit's expensive.

2) On the same note, make your own food. It's easy to make healthy, cheap food if you spend a little time preparing meals for yourself. I lift, so it's easy for me to get into the make-my-own-meals mindset; I want to know if I'm getting enough food in to grow.

3) Pay in cash whenever possible, avoid using a card. It feels less like you're really spending money if cash isn't passing from your hand to somebody else's.

4) Take the time to determine how you're spending your money and what parts of your spending could be considered frivolous. Eating out is something I'd call frivolous unless it's for social reasons. Same with drinking. Spending money with a debit/credit card is has merits in this case - you can easily track your spending online this way.
>>
>>1081566
I'd be interested. We really need to set up an IRC though, for privacy reasons - having personal information free-floating around /biz/ is a risk none of us should be taking.
>>
>>1081701
Love the idea of an IRC channel. Someone go for it. I'll be there daily.
>>
>>1073434
>not having bad ass hobbies and fucking shallow bitches on Tinder
Disappointed
>>
>>1074493
Exercise is a hobby. After lifting at the gym, I hit up the sauna and chat with people. I go on 3-4 run events a year and meet awesome people. I play volleyball once a week with fantastic people. Yes it's apart of my life but I chose to go out and make it a hobby as well.
>>
>>1081752
doesn't sound like you get laid enough to support all that man on man sauna time you put in bro.
>>
>>1081805
>Projecting
jesus man stop
>>
>>1081569

The folks over in /vg/ and /soc/ use discordapp to communicate. Think of it as a web-based IRC where you can upload images. That might be the best approach, but maybe it warrants discussion.
>>
File: ss-16533.jpg (100KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
ss-16533.jpg
100KB, 1280x688px
>>>/fit/
>>
>>1078216
>http://desustorage.org/fit/thread/25741284/

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, thanks for this archived thread.
Also, thanks OP. I'm coming from /fit/ and missing the good old /SIG/ threads.
>>
>>1076097
it's available only to Americans :(
>>
>>1073496
Stoicism is the best desu
>>
>>1071945
Read "On the shortness of life" by Seneca.

Literally the best thing I have learned about human psychology and the philosophy that you must incorporate into your life to succeed and honestly be happy.
>>
Is this worth finishing? I'm reading and have some good ideas but I find the book 80% repetitiv BS and daydreaming from the author. Which book should I read after, considering I found this one dumb and simple
>>
>>1082164
Someone made a /biz/ discord recently I guess. The people in there seem mature so I'll probably add the link to the OP in the next thread.

https://discord.gg/0nrqLTOvEU3Em1uo

Thanks for all of the reading suggestions guys. I'll put them a list and stick them in a wiki once it's created.
>>
>>1071945
>• Read non-fiction, watch talks/documentaries.
2edgy. kinnda ruined the thread. This is literally TRYING to fit the "smart kid" stereotype. Holyfuck, this is just too autistic to read. Reading nonfiction and watching talks/documentaries won't do shit for you. Unless they are in relation to whatever field you are involved in, doing said activities is completely wasteful and isn't benifcial. Unless of course you enjoy watching documentaries and reading non fiction, but in that case you would have already been doing that, not because some autist on /biz/ told you to.
>>
>>1075945
Did you join one of those MLM companies?
>>
>>1082340
I have some old archived /SIG/ threads on my 2nd PC with a lot of stuff in the first post that has gone missing. I'll report in next week with all helpfull stuff on a SIG thread or discord.

These threads helped me a lot and I'm happy to contribute.
>>
Haven't forgotten about the IRC team, just been up the wall this weekend. Will post here once I've got it up and running.
>>
Thanks for this thread.

Im not in a bad position. Final year, 2 internships and looking for work. But i just feel like i hit a wall after this recent exam season, and i'm not motivated at all. i feel like im on the mend, but these grad scheme applications can be soul crushing sometimes.
>>
>>1081752
you sir are a faggot
>>
I'm in sort of a lousy position (career wise). Graduated with a shit tier psych degree, work as a researcher for 20/hr, but have a lot of free time so I've been filling it with learning R and advanced data science, helping out at an entrepreneurial club at uni as an analyst. Also working out a lot and brushing up on Polish. I'm looking to getting an MBA or MSc in data analytics.

I have a lot of pressure on me to surpass middle class, my family is somewhat poor and my mother works 6-7 days a week as a personal support worker and is always working during holidays. I want her to have a wealthy or early retirement.

Anyways, any recommendations for a self-hating liberal arts grad lol?
>>
So I've been doing bodyweight fitness for the past year instead of lifting in order to build my coordination. My goals were to be able to do a handstand, cartwheel, and backflip, which I can all do now.

I'd like to get back into lifting, but working out in my own home has spoiled me and I don't want to go back to the gym. Is it worth investing in my own weight set and squat/bench rack? Could I get a good set with an $800 budget?
>>
File: 1310672082321.jpg (27KB, 512x422px) Image search: [Google]
1310672082321.jpg
27KB, 512x422px
>>1084854
>polish
>>
>>1085215
Crawl your local Craigslist, it'll take some time but eventually you'll find a hot deal on weights.
What's nice is that they don't really lose value, so if you move or have to get rid of them you can get most (if not all) of your money back.
Just make sure any bench/rack you pick up is sturdy.
>>
>>1084854
I'm not sure where you are located, but you might want to look into becoming an officer in the military. A friend of mine graduated with a shit tier degree and is now training to be a jet pilot and being paid amazingly well.
>>
>>1071955
Shut up.
Improving your human capital is an absolute need for anyone here.
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.