[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Salary negotiation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 102110767-97660088.530x298.jpg (36KB, 530x298px) Image search: [Google]
102110767-97660088.530x298.jpg
36KB, 530x298px
So I told my boss last month I was planning on leaving, and I was pretty straight up with him that it was about the money.

Now he's told that they really want me to stay on, and was saying he was willing to negotiate more salary, extra holiday etc.

I'm only 24, this is my first real job and I've only been here 2 years, I have no idea how to go about this.

My current package is:
$3000 per month
$700 rent subsidy per month and travel expenses (I sometimes get sent long distance to other branches for up to 3 months)
Healthcare/Gym provided

So how do I do it? Should I go in high and then negotiate into the middle? Should I ask for their best offer and try and negotiate from there? I do like this job and I don't actually have an alternative lined up, so this has been a bluff from me so far so wat do i do?
>>
>>1071541
I hear you get more money by switching employer every 2 yrs or so, 50% more in fact.
>>
>>1071541
Depends on what your job is.
>>
>>1071541
You should attempt to find another job with the salary you want.

Even if you get what you want at your present position, you're probably going to be seen as a disloyal careerist(not that there's anything wrong with that.) You'll be able to stay for a while, but eventually your going to have to move one anyway.

If you can't find something in short order, go in high but reasonable. Use Glassdoor for others with the same title at competitors or whatever as supporting evidence.
>>
>>1071541
If you stay with whomever you're with now you will have to quit every time you want a raise.
>>
>>1071541
>worked my ass off to get where I am
>See OP bitching about high(ish) salary

fuckyoumotherfucker.jpg
>>
Main reason I don't really want to switch employer is that I plan to go to graduate school in the next 2 years so a switch now probably won't gain me much
>>1071549
I work in an education company, mostly aimed at foreigners, expanding company at the moment setting up near universities with lots of foreigners. I work on setting up the network and training drones to use the software. Basically a glorified network admin.
>>
>>1071569
>Think 3000 per month is a high(ish) salary.

That's below average starting for anyone with a useful college degree. Not sure why you're butthurt.
>>
I just recently got done doing this, but it was more along the lines of being horrifically underpaid to having a salary close to market-value.

All and all, don't be Mr. Cool Negotiator Badass. Be a human being and be honest. Do you research and figure out what your skills are valued at in the market, and start on the higher end of that. The key is to know what you SHOULD be making. If you pull a bulllshit number of your ass, you'll fail. Do you research. Be prepared.
>>
1) Be prepared to walk away from a deal you don't like

2) Don't let them wiggle out of paying you money in return for "extra holidays" or "Better healthcare" or shit no one cares about. You told them it is about salary so keep the negotiation focussed on that.

3) Justify any number you pick with comparable salaries elsewhere

4) You may have worked with these people for a few years but they are not your friends, so don't expect them to be friendly. They want exactly the same as you: as much money as possible.
>>
>>1071569
>>1071574
depends where they live
>>
First off, never let them know you don't have something else lined up. Straight up lie and say their biggest competitor is interested in you.

Find out what the average is for your position with your experience. Aim 10% higher than that unless you're way below it for some reason.

Go in and say that other company is offering you %15 higher than what you're at and that if they can meet it, you'll stay. Be prepared to come down some. Make it seem like they won a little bit too.

Stick to salary, fuck extra vacation days and other bonuses.

GET IT IN WRITING WHEN YOU ARE DONE!

Too many fucks say that they will put it into effect at some time in the future.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.