[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it even possible to get a job? >attend regionally known

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (22KB, 350x203px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 350x203px
is it even possible to get a job?

>attend regionally known non target university
>major in finance after becoming obsessed with the markets
>attempt to get enter an internship program during my junior year
>literally zero call backs
>realize how fucked I am due to finance's focus on the name of your school
>become really involved in finance events/competitions
>doesn't even work no one cares
>realize how fucked I am for not getting any major internships during Jr. year

Now I've graduated and I'm pretty much fucked. Is it even possible to get a finance job now? Literally the only things I see up are book keeping/accounting jobs. It's like there are just closed doors everywhere preventing the normal guy from getting into anything decent.

My degree might as well be worthless because I can't do shit with it.
>>
anyone else graduated and made it to FO?
>>
what part of the industry are you trying to get into? the term "finance" is very broad and accounting definitely falls under the umbrella.

why didn't you get any internships? what relevant experience did you work towards?

what was your gpa? did you do anything academically to stand out? research, papers, etc.
>>
>>1070789

I'll take anything. I'd like to be a trader, or work on the sell side.

Participated in the school finance clubs, created investment strategies, etc.

It's 3.3 :( plebe tier

I have no idea why it didn't work out...I applied a lot. I didn't even get rejection letters from many.

I just feel like in any decent FO entry level positions there are giant barriers to entry preventing everyone but the most privileged from entering and it's disheartening
>>
>>1070828
well a 3.3 gpa finance degree from a mediocre school isn't setting yourself up for success. Trading is cutthroat, it's filled with 3.8 gpa engineering majors from stanford and most of them still fail, you're playing with someone else's money so they're not going to bet on you versus someone else who appears far smarter. 3.3 is too low to get into ibanking or anything like that without any connections or direct experience also.

If you really want to be in finance you're probably best off trying to get into private wealth management or work for some sort of mutual fund, or other investment fund.

You need to realize that finance is all about managing money, people don't want dumb, lazy people to be involved in their money. So far you have done nothing to make yourself look smart or special, so you need to a) lower your expectations and b) commit to some specific part of the field and begin to excel in it.

One last thing:
>giant barriers to entry preventing everyone but the most privileged from entering
You got a 3.3 gpa while pursuing one of the easiest majors in college and participating in no meaningful activities. merit has a funny way of beating out privilege over the long run in finance, but thus far you have earned no merit. so quit bitching and start mastering your craft.
>>
>>1070773
youre degree is worthless. I have an engineering degree and have been out of work for 4 years. Degrees are worthless. Just get on IBR and work at walmart
>>
>>1070852
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>1070828
3.3 from non target is pretty bad
3.5 from targets are pushing it

idk where youre from but this year ibanks in canada have only hired around 50% of what they usually do (source: career services at my target), the economy is pretty shit right now

thank god im in accounting and i can just go do my masters
>>
>>1070859
This is discouraging as fuck. I'm currently in my 2nd year of studying engineering, and I was under the assumption that I'd be able to land a decent job straight out of college. Everyone has been telling me that engineers have no problem finding work with good pay, which is pretty much the only reason I've been pursuing engineering at all. I don't particularly enjoy anything about it so far. Did I fuck up?
>>
>>1070859
Which branch? How did you apply and how many times?
>>
>>1070893
No. study hard, get a high gpa and look for relevant working opportunities both while you are in school and during the summer. smart, motivated people are always in demand, especially in engineering.
>>
File: 1438290609027.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1438290609027.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>1070773
Why would you want to work in banking/finance? Full of fuckep up peopkle and retards. Really.

I have a finance degree too. Last thing I would do is to work in in banking etc.
>>
where did you go to school op?

it sounds like you're just not trying hard enough. are you in NYC?
>>
>>1070920
Will I most likely be miserable once I land a job? Like I said, I don't particularly have an interest in engineering. I just want a secure job with decent pay
>>
>>1070828
>I'll take anything
This is why you faggots don't get call backs. You sound desperate. Nobody wants a cuck working for them.
>>
should i do a Accounting degree or an apprenticeship? which is better
>>
>waits for callbacks
>expects a job

Call them every other day for 2 to 4 weeks straight asking to speak with hr and then tell me if you still can't find a job.
>>
>>1070852
This post so much. Where are you located geographically as that has a lot to do with what opportunities you have unless you can move. If you are not in a major city you could find a regional bank and work as a credit analyst. Another option is to take up a cost accounting position if you have any manufacturing nearby as they tend to hire finance majors as well. While not making investment banking money you should still pull 40-50k which isn't all too bad (I know this is biz where nobody gets out of bed if their salary isn't 200k a year)
>>
>>1070962
if you are miserable now you will still be miserable when you're employed.

if you are happy now, you will most likely be happier once you are employed given you know what you're getting into and your expectations are in line with reality.

getting a job really doesn't change much besides what you're doing from 9-5 five days a week.
>>
>>1070773
I feel ya man. Applied Math major with an emphasis in econ. Put all my eggs in one basket and when that didn't come through I realized I'm graduating with no experience and a good gpa.

My only hope for a job is with my girlfriend's dad's place.
>>
>>1070942
source please
>>
>>1071228
nvm she is "kittens"
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.