[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Guy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: chart-confused-350x200.jpg (46KB, 350x200px) Image search: [Google]
chart-confused-350x200.jpg
46KB, 350x200px
Hey guys, because there isn't a sticky, I thought I'd ask you guys myself.

Could you recommend books/websites to someone who knows jack shit about economics? I want to learn, and maybe get involved in buying stocks. I think it'd be neat to make a little extra money.
>>
>economics
>stocks
generally, economics =/= stocks except for the most simple concepts. For example, in economics you'll learn a lot about monetary and fiscal policy, aggregate demand and supply, inflation, unemployment, etc. These concepts are tied to the economy as a whole and not so much to valuing individual firms and what firms are good/bad investments.

If you have money, throw it into an index fund and forget about it. Picking individual stocks is almost always worse than just being exposed to the entire market.
>>
>>1069301
>index fund
What's that? Keep in mind I know absolutely nothing about money.
>>
>>1069301
When I say index fund I mean one of the Vanguard ones or similar for whatever firm you choose to go with. That will set you up for the long term if you have some disposable income to save every month. (Index funds broadly exposed to the S&P fairly consistently beat stock-picking).
>>
>>1069302
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/indexfund.asp
Basically, you put in money and the fund is broadly exposed to a certain market. There are index funds that are exposed to emerging markets, green energy, etc. But you want one that's exposed to bigger companies that are safer bets long term so you can save for retirement/down payment/whatever
>>
>>1069312
And what exactly will happen to my money when it's invested in an index fund?

(Also I just noticed your name, I love Crime and Punishment)
>>
>>1069318
Basically, it's just in a pool of funds that are "passively managed" by whoever runs the index fund. There are some restrictions on timing for when you can withdraw iirc.

More info: http://www.investopedia.com/university/indexes/index8.asp

You can do some more googling too.

C&P is a great book, love it when people know my name.
>>
>>1069330
This is a lot of information to take on at once. Will your links tell me everything I need to know?
>>
>>1069338
Not really, you should do some more research, there's a lot of information about index funds. Just read up, obviously you shouldn't take investing advice solely from some random guy on a chinese cartoon website. But this is a starting place (index funds were created for people who don't know what they're doing). You need to do your own research.
>>
>>1069342
Well will reading articles on investopedia teach me about finance?
>>
>>1069344
well, at a very superficial level, yes. But there's obviously a lot of things that connect to finance (economic policy, forex trading, futures, options, etc.). At least you'll have a background on this information but to really delve in will take some work.

It's probably not worth it--"trading stocks" is very difficult and you're way more likely to be successful spending a low amount of time on investing and just forget about it until you need it. (spend that time on your career or with friends/family/hobbies).
>>
>>1069349
Well I don't want to devote my life to it, my intent is only to make some extra cash.
>>
>>1069350
Investing isn't a good way to make "extra cash" each month. It's more for a long term plan (I want to have enough money to make a down payment on a house or for retirement, etc.)

I have no idea about good ways to make "extra cash" other than just making good career decisions.
>>
>>1069356
The main reason I wanted to learn is because I have a friend who made a considerable amount of money speculating, and I wanted to know how I could do the same.
>>
http://szabo.best.vwh.net/
>>
>>1069364
Fuck off to your own thread faggot.
>>
File: 1425176923363.jpg (944KB, 1345x1450px) Image search: [Google]
1425176923363.jpg
944KB, 1345x1450px
Its almost like there should be a picture for this info
>>
>>1069302
Are you from /fit/ by any chance? If so, its the Starting Strenth of business. Index funds should be your core if your a beginner. They are strong, reliable, and grow slowly but steady over time. Depending on how much you have and you age, you should put most of your money toward a diversified index fund, and you can bet some money on individual stocks. Also, I would invest in some REITs(Real estate trusts) but you will have to do your research. Also DO NOT daytrade or try to. And anyone who says to do so, ask them if they know anyone who actually got rich from it.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>1069399
>real estate
>index funds
>>
>>1069407
He is a beginner you nigger, would you tell him to spend 100% of his hard earned money into risky stocks when he doesn't know a thing about researching them? OP needs a strong core, thats not an edgy idea, its the truth.
>>
>>1069424
No you fucknut. I'd tell him to buy ethereum. And I'd tell you the same thing.
>>
>>1069496
>>1069424
wew lads, I don't know what any of this means
>>
>>1069496
>Ethereum
Wahahahahahahahaahaha
>>
>>1069283
See >>>1066887
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.