[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be looking for jobs >after each interview, I send email

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: arnoldtakesoffhelmet.gif (842KB, 350x260px) Image search: [Google]
arnoldtakesoffhelmet.gif
842KB, 350x260px
>be looking for jobs
>after each interview, I send email thanking the hiring manager for the interview
>after two weeks of no response/rejection, I call to follow up and ask for feedback
>never get it

Is everything that my parents and university's career services told me wrong? Also, what's helped /biz/ get through the interview process? I'm looking for a human services job, if it helps.
>>
>>1068360
>Also, what's helped /biz/ get through the interview process?
Connections.

>I'm looking for a human services job, if it helps.
Even more connections.
>>
>>1068360
After college I applied for 32 jobs before landing the one I got. It was an entry level software programmer job making 50K. gambare senpai

Also, consider meeting a recruiter. (they will lie in your behalf)
>>
>>1068431

Thanks. I thought that recruiters were mainly used in the tech and engineering fields, but I'll give it a shot!
>>
>>1068360
At the end of the interview, I tell them there's one more thing they need to know about me. Then I pull out a bottle of hit sauce, chug it, throw it down on the floor and say "I can handle the heat." before walking out of the room.
>>
>>1068360
>thanking them for the interview

Literal bitch move. You seem desperate and pathetic. Just kill yourself now and get it over with
>>
>>1068360
are you shooting above your level? I mean are you qualified for those jobs? human type jobs usually are fucking competitive as hell because of the low list of requirements so you get an enormous number of apps

have you met any of your competition
>>
>>1068575

I have a Masters and I'm applying to 2-year and 4-year degree jobs. It sounds like I'm being told I'm being passed up for more qualified people.

That's all I know, though

>>1068515

What am I supposed to do, then? They chose to interview me, not the other way around.
>>
>>1068586
You're supposed to act like you don't need their job and have other irons in the fire. What are you a virgin? Treat potential jobs like a girl you want to win. Be assertive and clear you want it but not desperate
>>
>>1068599

Thanks for your input, anon. I'm guessing you're in business or tech? Enlighten me. What should I start saying at the end of each interview?
>>
>>1068586
do you have internships in your field? experience? honestly man I think you are just underestimating how competitive the market is for non stem jobs right now

you probably have to just keep putting in the hours interviewing and networking until you land something
>>
>>1068364
This guy gets it.

So get this. My life story.

(TL;DR: Network, motherfucker. Get your ass a mentor and learn. Read books. They help.)

Been going to school like a regular schmuck for business. No real job experience but somehow landed ass backwards into a job as a security guard.

Worked there for 3 years and just coasted through life.

Quit.

Spent a good 6 months without a job. I applied but since since security doesn't do much for retail. I wasn't hired.

Mom and Dad worked for a company for 15 years out in the Bay. DVD duplication, book printing, Fulfillment. The works.

Dad leave the company to drive a truck but mom still works there. They have always got along great with the CEO. He hears how I'm looking for a job so he takes a chance in me and hires me to be the business development agent/marketer/Pet Monkey.

In the 2 months that I've worked there, I've brought in leads from small time book presses to big-time Kickstarters as our clients. I've learned more from on hands experience then school has taught me.

My suggestion OP is find a mentor and network. It's fucking invaluable. The CEO I work for is a wealth of knowledge and in mining that guy dry.

Network, read, and learn. Remember just because you're not getting a degree doesn't mean you have to stop learning.

Right now I'm learning how to work Google Analytics and AdWords. Never learned that in fucking class.

Connections will get you everywhere.
>>
>>1068621
My program required 2 internships, and that makes up like 75% of my experience.

>>1068649
Problem is, I've been applying out of state. I'm in TX right now. I'd like to work for a nonprofit, and there are other cities that have a huge nonprofit sector. So far the only networking I can do is within Texas, because employers don't know anyone out of state.

I've tried LinkedIn, but people don't contact me through it; they just look at my profile and move on. Is it worth my time if I start contacting people for informational interviews?
>>
>>>1068649
>Problem is, I've been applying out of state. I'm in TX right now. I'd like to work for a nonprofit, and there are other cities that have a huge nonprofit sector. So far the only networking I can do is within Texas, because employers don't know anyone out of state.
>I've tried LinkedIn, but people don't contact me through it; they just look at my profile and move on. Is it worth my time if I start contacting people for informational interviews?
And there lies the problem. You can't just straight up jump out of state and expect to land your dream job at a nonprofit. Work and network IN Texas and get a job in Texas. Be in Nonprofit or For Profit. Doesn't matter. Just take it. Work and build up your experience and credibility. Keep that LinkedIn page updated and again, network. Comment on things on FB or LinkedIn articles and just talk to people.

Once you've done that after a year or two. Then you can job hunt out of state and find something you want.

Your resumé is thin as Fuck. You have a masters. Big fucking whoop. In this day and age, they're a dime a dozen. You have to separate yourself from the crowd.

It's gonna take time but I'm sure you'll be able to do it eventually.
>>
>>1068678
maybe look at some linked in profiles of people who have the job you want and tailor your resume to be more like theirs

lie and exaggerate if you need some padding. seriously. just make sure its lies that cant be easily verified, something like you were on x team while in college which helped with leadership experience.
>>
File: 91208347.jpg (29KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
91208347.jpg
29KB, 450x450px
>>1068649
>learning how to work Google Analytics
>not just copy/pasta into source
>>
>>1068703
Haha I'm actually learning how to make that shit work so I can pick up what people are searching for on the site so we can use it to target people with Ads.

It's a work in progress.

The gist of it all is that I'm learning more by doing hands on then what I learned in school.
>>
>>1068360
If you have no experience it's tough...
>>
>>1068360
Don't wait for them to call you. At the end of your interview you ask for a business card and tell them you're going to call them. Gotta take the initiative.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.