[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here is your fucking college "tiers" list

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 6

File: 1444234185617.jpg (145KB, 670x424px) Image search: [Google]
1444234185617.jpg
145KB, 670x424px
>Engineering
>Math
>CS
>Economics
>Finance
>Accounting
>Physics
>Bio/Chem (ONLY IF GOING TO MED SCHOOL)

There is literally no reason to go even go to college unless you are >rich or >extremely charismatic, if you are not majoring in one of the above. There are some other majors that may have steady employment and a "decent" 50-60k career if you don't do too poorly. But literally why spend the money and waste years of your life for a job salary you could easily get after a few years out of highschool?
>>
>>1068341
Tbh unless you start a business I reckon an English degree or whatever is still more useful than not having one at all.

Many jobs pay more JUST because you have a University degree - HR literally just ticks off "Has 4-year degree".

Of course that's not the only 2 options but it's still better than nothing at all I reckon.

Ps all of us here know this already.
>>
>But literally why spend the money and waste years of your life for a job salary you could easily get after a few years out of highschool?
To do the job you want to do and enjoy, obviously
>>
>>1068341
Because not having a degree is cancer unless you can start a successful business at 18 with no starting capital.

My brother's on 220 applications and no luck, his resume isn't too shitty either.
>>
Studied linguistics and philosophy, currently making 75k and will probably go up to 90k in a couple of years. I know several unemployed engineering/economics students. Blow me, OP.
>>
>>1068399
90k with a philosophy degree huh, doing what?
You're most definitely an outlier.

Most engineers have great jobs, jobless engineers are outliers.

Economic grads are a bit better off than philosophy majors but nowhere as successful as engineering.

If you got an engineering degree, you can be making 40k a year after graduating 100k in 10 and millions if u start your own company.
>>
I'm enrolling at a university this fall for a BS in environmental science/sustainability.
Tell me how fucked I am going to be financially for the rest of my life.
>>
>>1068399
Also not to mention, Engineering is the most popular degree among the world's top 100 billionaires
>>
>>1068450
My advice is take a year off and work full-time. This will give you some money to fallback on. Then start by only take classes you are 100% sure you'll get an A in, in a community college where it's cheaper. Even if it means 2 classes a term, it will still be great for your GPA which will give you free scholarship money and grants. Do Not Take Loans. Work part time on the weekends if you have to but don't depend on loans. The best scenario is will you're working part time you're also applying to work in a company you're studying to get into. Even if its a menial job, once people start asking you about what you're studying they'll offer you better positions.
>>
>>1068469
*while
>>
>>1068469
Thanks for the advice. I got a handful of credits in high school done and some scholarship $. But I was aiming that post more at "I want to get a job in environmental science/sustainability. tell me how fucked I will be." But i think the future of that field looks fairly promising
>>
>>1068481
You're not fucked. OP is an asshole. Make sure you're going to the career fairs and meeting people.
>>
>Math and CS Major
>Economics Minor

Econometrics are really cool!
>>
>>1068439
40k after graduating with an eng degree? That's way too low, its more like 80-90k.
>>
>>1068439

>doing what?

I work in management.
>>
>>1068773

>That's way too low, its more like 80-90k.

The average is closer to 50-60k.

Also, history major here. I make 90k but I am clearly an outlier.
>>
>>1068784
What do you do?
>>
>>1068785

I am a defence contractor.
>>
>>1068637
I got a B. Math and am about to finish a B.CS. How's that working for you?
>>
>>1068399
Also studied philosophy at a shitty state school. Making 90k this year. OP can blow me.
>>
Is pepe humping the bed?
>>
>>1068786
Whyd tey hire a historian as a mercenary
>>
>>1068886
check 'em ↓
>>
File: Get paid, pupper.jpg (136KB, 917x960px) Image search: [Google]
Get paid, pupper.jpg
136KB, 917x960px
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890
get paid doge
>>
Hahahahaha Economics above Finance and Accounting. I don't think so, pal.
>>
>>1068890
"get paid pupper"
>>
>>1068773
80k is starting for a masters in say electrical. Or top of your class software/comp sci in memecon valley. Maybe a few Chem E

Average starting is closer to 55k
>>
>>1068890
"get paid pupper"
>>
>>1068341
I have a psych degree and have an 80k work at home career.

I am not doing work in my field though.
>>
>>1068341

what about data anaylitics?
They make double what engineers make
>>
>>1068783
Not the poster you replied to; but being one who, among other things, is taking into consideration the possibility to spend some years studying philosophy, I'd be interested in having a fewer more details from you.
>>
>>1068341
College is more than the degree. And i don't mean some bs like "its about the college experience". First off, going to college after high school is better than just living at home doing jack, or working some bs like retail, which is what most people do after hs if they don't go to college. Second, you don't need to go to an expensive school, stay in state, don't dorm, and you should be able to pay off your tuition each year with a summer job paying minimum wage. So unless you have a plan ready after hs that doesn't involve college, you might as well go and at least be on track to earn some kind of degree. This way, you'll AT LEAST be able to apply for jobs that require a bachelors degree. Plus, you'd have spent ~4 years making friends and connections. Oh, and you'll get payed more compared to someone without a degree working the same job. Plus, I enjoyed my college years.
>>
Is this guy for real? Is this a troll?
>>
>Engineering and CS above Finance
Really?

Technology and engineering are the ultimate wageslave degrees. You get out of school and you think you made a great decision because your starting salary is way higher than your peers. 20 years down the road you're doing the exact same work and your salary is MAYBE twice what it was when you started. You realize that the vast majority of your colleagues are younger than you now, and you wonder where all those people went when they hit 40. You know some went into management, but there are far fewer managers than there are "senior engineers." You start looking at other good companies and they're all the same - filled with young people. Your performance reviews start to drop and you're given less and less work. Eventually you leave your job, but nobody else really wants to hire you despite your decades of experience. You end up taking a significant wage cut because, hey, you've got bills to pay and your kids are going to college soon. You retire 20 years later with way less money than you thought you'd have and a disappointed feeling. Life didn't really turn out the way you'd expected.
>>
>>1069508
Engineers don't just work in engineering fields. Investment banks, prop traders, hedge funds, consultants, pretty much anything in finance hired engineers with 3.5+ GPA's
>>
Fun fact: At one of my internships, I got to talk to Seth Davis, who's a College Basketball sideline reporter. I asked him how he got into that line of work when he was a Political Science major (I have a B.A. in Sociology), and he straight up told me that employers really don't give a shit about what you majored in - It's your experiences/skills that they care about.

Anyone who makes threads like "here are my eric STEM majors list do this if you don't want to work at mcdonald's :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" has no clue what they're talking about. The only advantage that you have with STEM careers out of school is the volume of them that are available and you "might" be able to get one without much effort.
>>
I'm confused, when americunts talk about a degree they mean a bachelors or a masters?
>>
>>1069650
They mean bachelors

Assuming your from aus
I think they go to college to do our equivalent of a bachelor of arts or science and then if they get good marks they can transfer to what we would consider an actual degree like a bachelor of engineering or a bachelor of information systems

Then they go and get their masters if they want
>>
>>1069508
as opposed to graduating with your finance degree from your state school's shitty business department then going to work as a car salesman or call center employee

nice
>>
>>1068371
lol this is me. Already made 100k now 19.
>>
>>1068341
>tfw opportunity and advancement in business is pretty much equal among all those who have obtained a degree
>tfw all money making entities are in business and have jobs available to all degrees
>>
>>1068471
*pedantic
>>
>>1069508
>get finance degree
>work at McDonald's unless you had a good internship
>by good I mean they had you work 100+ hours a week for free
>graduate without killing yourself
>get a starting position doing the same thing but this time making some money
>get paid the same hourly as a McDonald's employee
>after a few years the cutting begins
>if you were a good wageslave you'll be promoted to a slightly better position where you'll only work 90 hours a week, and you'll start making ~$15 an hour
>if you weren't a good wageslave you're fired and your dreams are ruined
>continue this for the next 60 years
>at one point you'll get married and your wife will cheat on you with someone who's actually home and your daughter will be getting fucked by Tyrone because of her daddy issues from never seeing you
>but at 70 you'll finally get a good position working only 40 hours a week and you'll be making more than doctors
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1069720
this

it's easier to get into certain jobs if you studied the right thing but your university / internship brands matter more than your actual major

there are plenty of liberals arts majors working in consulting, physicists in IB and business majors in silicon valley
>>
File: 1444581560362.jpg (549KB, 968x867px) Image search: [Google]
1444581560362.jpg
549KB, 968x867px
>Engineering
>as if its a single thing
OP confirmed for unemployed electrical engineer

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2487847/it-careers/what-stem-shortage--electrical-engineering-lost-35-000-jobs-last-year.html
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068341
Degrees mean nothing. It's more about who you know than what you know, and what you can convince them you know. A PA for a CEO of a multinational probably gets paid more than a technical engineer at a small firm. The well connected always do fine in those circumstances.
>>
>>1069913
Stop making excuses you loser

If you graduate from a good school with a 3.5 + GPA in a quantitative field you will be getting good jobs in finance and technological fields
>>
>>1069478

Sure, I'm here.
>>
>>1068890
Get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068341

Am I the only one who went to college to learn about stuff I like? Jesus. I'm not even in debt anymore, and I got to meet a like-minded wifey.
>>
>>1070269
Nope, I did too.

People like to go on about how it's just a piece of paper but I really learnt shit I constantly think about. It's great and fucking worth the money, especially given it's heavily subsidised by John Q Taxpayer in my country.
>>
>>1068890
Get paid pupper
>>
File: 1452643468655.gif (2MB, 320x176px) Image search: [Google]
1452643468655.gif
2MB, 320x176px
>>1068341
Holy fuck i am so glad I got out of electrical engineering. Not only is it difficult because there are entirely new concepts you have to learn, but it is boring as FUCK. Unless you were Tesla in a past life that shit.

Then I realized by getting an engineering degree you are pretty much letting whoever employs you to work the fucking shit out of you and they are allowed to have high expectations because after all you are a "prestigious hardworking intelligent engineer".

Meanwhile people who arent aspies are getting paid roughly the same as you and doing 1/10th the work because people like being around them. And there you are the stressed out engineer in a corner with a voltmeter and oscilloscope like a faggot.
>>
>financial business economics
I'm set
>>
>>1071112
wew now THAT'S what a bitter dropout looks like
>>
>>1069730
At my university, not a single accounting firm would ever even consider offering an unpaid internship for juniors/seniors
Literally all of the big 4, following 6, and even local firms

I can't imagine it's really that different for finance majors
>>
is law that bad though?
>>
HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE WAGEKEK PROBLEMS

>AT MY UNIVERSITY...

NO ONE CARES FAGGOT TAKE IT TO FUCKING /ADV/

THIS SI A BOARD FOR BUSINESS AND CRYPTOCURRENCIES NOT TO BOUNCE IDEAS OFF OTHER WAGEKEKS OR STUDENTS.
>>
>>1068342
but HR people are the most useless people on the planet
>>
>>1068890
This fucking meme worked! My family recently came into possessions of land they were unaware of from ancestors. 100 acres in Germany. Holy fuck we're rich fags. NEETBUCKS FROM LAND FTW.
Get Paid Pupper!
>>
>>1071325
100 hectares***
>>
>>1071112
EE here. You're full of shit.
>>
>>1068341
thanks for reaffirming my choice as a mathematician/engineer
i'm glad to know noone's gonna pull any math wool over my eyes
>>
Getting my license as a PTA, going to land a job that will pay about 65k when I graduate by the age of 25. How set will the next five years be?
>>
>>1071394

Good luck trying to get a masters, it's literally required now to get into the field.
>>
>>1068890
Get paid pupper
>>
>>1068481
go look at indeed/BLS i saw to find out job prospects now, is it really legit towards your degree? are there a lot of people doing the job you want that dont have a degree? etc also no one gives a fuck about environmental except to get the "a okay" stamp so they can continue their project
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1071267
are you saying its very difficult to get an internship or that it would be a paid internship?

accounting major here, I was thinking its very marketable for the work force
>>
>>1071562
I'm saying, difficult to get or not, it is assuredly paid
At least here in Florida, any recruiter that comes to a university would be outclassed by a mile if they put out an unpaid internship
I don't think it's all that difficult, though

I've got an interview with an insurance company tomorrow morning, so wish me luck
>>
>>1071568
>I'm saying, difficult to get or not, it is assuredly paid
thats encouraging, only second year started so I havent even started looking for an internship, after this semester i probably will.

>I don't think it's all that difficult, though
>I've got an interview with an insurance company tomorrow morning, so wish me luck

good luck mang. and just curious how did you find out about it? uni? networking?
>>
>>1071576
There's certainly people more experienced than myself here, but I would say you should join a business-related student organization ASAP, and maintain some kind of officer position
Recruiters really don't expect you to have experience in the field by this point, so this is how you stand out

From there, attend every event possible and talk to absolutely everyone at career fairs and whatnot
If you're only a sophomore, think of how they'll remember you if you greet them at events for a year before interviewing
>>
>>1068341
Horticulture is plant science related which is bio/chem... I think I am doing well!
>>
>>1068469
you really can't get scholarships unless you are going full time.
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890
GET PAID PUPPER
>>
>>1071590
good thinking, ill check out the organizations on campus
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890
"get paid, pupper"
>>
>>1068341
>Bio
>Chem
>At the bottom
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
Bachelors in psychology, doctorate of physical therapy. I'm in my last year, but.
Eat shit op you didn't see that shit coming at all fuckboy suck my nuts

PS get paid pupper
>>
>>1069508
Do you know what they do with engineers when they turn 40?
>>
>>1071267
I just got accepted for one in finance, $15 an hour and I'm just a freshman. I applied and interviewed elsewhere and could get $21 an hour if i get that one.

Some jaded fucking kids here.
>>
>>1068890
Get paid pupper
>>
>>1069508
40 year old laid off engineer here. This is truth. To do the s/w engineering route correctly, you must be ready to retire in your early 40s.
>>
Opinions on PhD in applied physics?

PhD in regular/theoretical physics seems kinda silly to me from a business perspective, as in how the hell can you make money off spending 20+ years tracking an exoplanet or something, but to get a PhD in applied physics and actually become an expert on some emerging technology (Battery tech, nuclear fusion, photovoltaics, semiconductors etc. etc.) seems like it could potentially be amazing from both an entrepreneurial- and investor standpoint (as in you could innovate on some technology and start a company around that, or have the technical knowledge to spot high-value startups still under the radar).

Thoughts?
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1069659
both IS and engineering are 4 year programs right out of high school

that's one of the most valuable things about them
>>
File: 1453401977031.jpg (447KB, 2048x1022px) Image search: [Google]
1453401977031.jpg
447KB, 2048x1022px
>>1068890
"get paid pupper"
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1073264

Is information systems a good degree?
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068341
This is an outdated list.

You go to college to take advantage of resources to land you in a solid spot to advance your career.
>>
File: carousel.jpg (94KB, 580x397px) Image search: [Google]
carousel.jpg
94KB, 580x397px
>>1071823
>>
>>1068890
Get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1069707
>claims returns
>doesnt give any explanations or proof
>>
>>1068890
get paid pupper
>>
>>1068890

Get paid pupper.
>>
>>1068890
"get paid pupper"
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.